BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking of this whole “lubed case=higher bolt thrust” issue the other day. More in regards to how much force is retained by dry brass vs. lubed brass. Cross section a case at the webbing and multiply that times yield strength. It ends up not being very much. Point is, if a lubed case makes your bolt fail, it was a crap gun to start.

Now, if .002” of lube is enough to make your gun fail based on the “increase of pressure” principle, same thing…crap gun. I don’t know that .002” or less of lube is going to change volume enough to notice a change in pressure. What would we be looking at, the equivalent of 1gr variance in brass weight? Ok, let’s say 3gr. What’s that worth, 5fps? Also, is that lube going to stay or flow out at either end?

Ok, I know Tony has spent a lot of time making 50cal rifles and at one time worked for a manufacturer who had the wherewith to know the science behind it all. Lets just assume that and I’m not busting his chops. But, there is force directed at the bolt when the chamber is pressurized. I think we can all agree to that. What it’s called, whether or not that force is increased by lubing the cases, and why lubing the cases may or may not increase that force is up for debate.

On the sticky bolt issue; find the problem, just don’t band aid it with lubing the cases. Maybe its ammo related, headspace, hot loads or maybe it’s the gun. One thing I’ve noticed is that it doesn’t take much to stick a case in a lot of these guns. Cheap steel, rough chamber, no positive extraction, etc are all cause. Frankly though, I think the breech diameter is just at minimum for most of these guns, which tends to magnify any issue previously mentioned. That’s the reason I run a big breech and good barrels. Ferrets don’t stick cases…….now can I get an Amen!

Dave
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Amen Brother!    (got an amac , cases don't stick)
On the issue of Oily cases , brass has to flow into the chamber (expand, thats why you have to resize them ) Oil prevents that, that being said  It IS harmfull to oil cases in a single shot , IT IS DOWNRIGHT STUPID in an auto as the friction between the case and the chamber slows recoil forces and is part of the way a semi auto works SPELLED DRAG  HK 91 uses flutes to slow the brass by extrusion ( one of the reasons you can't reload it ) Remember the 50BMG is just a scaled up 3006  all the same rules apply  ( John Browning just scaled up the standard 3006 to make the 50.
But On the other hand ,Oil and grease all your ammo! I like a nice show!
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone considered the possibility that the post made was not made by Chris himself? Just saying. And as far as extraction goes, since I quit using the loads I bought from RSR, I now have no issues getting fired cases out at all. Now I just need to find a buyer for 45+ rounds of his ammo at 3.00 a piece. Anyone interested?
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone considered the possibility that the post made was not made by Chris himself? Just saying. And as far as extraction goes, since I quit using the loads I bought from RSR, I now have no issues getting fired cases out at all. Now I just need to find a buyer for 45+ rounds of his ammo at 3.00 a piece. Anyone interested?

Since Site Staff banned him, I'm betting they compared IP's or cookies or something to determine that it was him.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe Chris was banned before he relocated. That said, I sent Chris an e-mail last year regarding some previous questions on BOHICA and he asked me to post his reply on the forum since he was banned. So, it is entirely possible that someone else is claiming to be him.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You can google the screen name with AR15.com behind it and find most of his post. It seems Chipmaker hung out in the machinest forum alot.
his first post on Arfcom
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Has anyone considered the possibility that the post made was not made by Chris himself?

We've spoken (email), and it was him. Paper work (this ATF ruling or decree) is en route, and should be available by Wednesday.

Link Posted: 7/18/2011 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, according to his post he is still waiting on the "actual tech branch finding". So what about the "administrative notice" and the "notification of a pending finding" when he says "we are no longer allowed to mfg uppers"? He can’t fax a copy? And why can’t he manufacture? If he knew this was coming when he said "We have been in a holding pattern for the last 4 months" why didn’t he: contact NRA/FCI right then, file for a manufacturer licenses and give everyone the heads up as he is so graciously doing now?

Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Brent, I hope that you know that Im not busting your chops.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Not at all.  I am just relaying what I was told.  I'll pass that along to him.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Why do they keep banning him?
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Something I'm interested to know...

Once whatever paperwork is received, assuming BOHICA either stops producing uppers, or starts producing complete "firearms", will there still be parts/accessories available?   I've been trying to get a 30 or 45 MOA canted picatinny rail for mine for several months now, with no way to contact them to order.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
nvm
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Same here..............

If anyone knows speak up!
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had my Bohica for 2 years and have spoken with Chris many times.  He has alway been very fair to me and a gentleman.  The only brass I have any sticking problems with now is Lake City Brass.  CDC and Winchester brass extract perfectly.  I've even got a Bohica stainless steel lower on my upper.  I sure hope he is still in business.  I'll still keep my 30" rifle no matter what has happened.

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Same here..............

If anyone knows speak up!

He was banned for trying to sell without having a dealer account. That's against the rules here. If you want to deal, get a dealer account and get a dealer forum, lots of dealers do it. He was trying to get free advertising.

Then came back as "chipmaker" and admitted it. Banned again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Oops he's dead again. I'd love to see some documentation, a letter or whatever, from the batf regarding their upper

Me too.

I'm trying to figure out how they can make an argument that a part that must attach to an actual firearm (i.e. the lower) is itself a firearm.

It's like dividing by zero.

OTOH if the ATF actually did rule this, it is certainly arbitrary and capricious and it's going to get shoved up their ass by the courts.

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No more threats from their computer network guy to fist fight people off the internet?

He hasn't been a part of their business for some time.
I don't remember his name but that guy was a real douche bag.  I was glad when Chris severed ties with him.

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He was banned for trying to sell without having a dealer account. That's against the rules here. If you want to deal, get a dealer account and get a dealer forum, lots of dealers do it. He was trying to get free advertising.

Is that true? Aimless?
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
No more threats from their computer network guy to fist fight people off the internet?

He hasn't been a part of their business for some time.
I don't remember his name but that guy was a real douche bag.  I was glad when Chris severed ties with him.

I think his screen name was Orkan or something along those lines.  I remember when Chris kicked him to the curb, they guy caused all kinds of havoc with BOHICA's forums and web site...
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that true? Aimless?
I don't know, what was the first account name he had?

It was Bohica, or BohicaArms.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that true? Aimless?

Well, like I always say "throw a rock into a pack of dogs and the one who cries is the one that got hit". Gee, lets see here......the link above shows a topic with Chipmaker and you in the same thread and now you're here taking a stab at me. You're from MN. Hmmm....maybe my tin hat isnt adjusted right but Im thinking you just blew your cover.

BTW, I wsnt selling anything, just sharing and wanting people to read another of my articles in VHP.

Dave

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't have a dog in the BOHICA fight, but I hope F Troop has not shut them down.  One thing for business reputation to shut a business down and entirely another for the government to shut them down.  

I received a GOA email asking me to contact my senators regarding some bogus UN weapon ban the butt kissers in Washington are kicking around.  Luckily both my senators already are on record opposing the nonsense.  I expect 50-cal ownership and acquisition to get harder during the rest of this current administration (yeah, I use that term loosely).  Best we can hope for is Holder and some others getting their hands slapped for Fast and Furious.

I hope I am not breaking some 50-cal forum rule for posting political stuff.  If so, please IM me and I will remove.

dcat
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Let's bring the personal attacks to a halt, the reasons Chris was banned have been posted.

From what I know the guy isn't trustworthy and doesn't deserve to be posting here on arfcom, if you've had good luck with him then I'm glad your experience has been positive. Other then that I can't see this thread lasting any longer then today if no one else has anything to positive to say.

This isn't a personal attack on BOHICA and all of the BOHICA owners are more then welcome here, I just don't want to see bad things happen to good people or guys looking for info. I've shot a couple different BOHICA's and found them to be nice uppers, to bad the owner is a douche.

You write lets bring the personal attacks to a halt and then proceed to call him a douche.  May I suggest you follow your own advice.  Like I said before, I have dealt with Chris for two years and he has treated me with honor. My best friend has also had nothing but great dealings with Chris.  How about you leave your personal problems out of the forum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Worst case, I do not see how ATF could permanently close BOHICA.   If ATF issues a new ruling or just a letter stating the bohica upper is a firearm, Bohica can get an 07FFL and proceed.

However if Bohica doesn't want to deal with the aggravation, or the loss of market share since they are no longer direct - ship... well that's another story.

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Please dont include us (Safety Harbor Firearms Inc.) in this conversation about people being closed/Bohica rant  - We are open and have been open since 03.  We are 07/SOT so even if they did do some goofy ruling we still will be selling our stuff.  Adapt,Overcome and burn down their huts :-)
Walter Keller
Safety Harbor Firearms Inc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bohica can get an 07FFL and proceed.

Bohica has had a 07/SOT for 4 years.   He makes real firearms (single shot lowers) as well as the uppers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bohica can get an 07FFL and proceed.

Bohica has had a 07/SOT for 4 years.   He makes real firearms (single shot lowers) as well as the uppers.

I believe you, I just didn't see that on their website.

Then he should be unimpeded, aside from the uppers having less appeal because they must be transferred by a FFL.

I am sure that an upper (with no lower) would not be penalized with 11%FET, regardless of how ATF classifies it.  But then again, ATF may set about changing those rules too...

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Political, heck; I see your comment as good, sound gun owner advice: " stock up!  Stock up now!!"  Which, of course, gives me a dang good excuse to scurry off to the lovely list of ArfCom supporters above this box and start my own economic stimulus spending spree!!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that true? Aimless?

Well, like I always say "throw a rock into a pack of dogs and the one who cries is the one that got hit". Gee, lets see here......the link above shows a topic with Chipmaker and you in the same thread and now you're here taking a stab at me. You're from MN. Hmmm....maybe my tin hat isnt adjusted right but Im thinking you just blew your cover.

BTW, I wsnt selling anything, just sharing and wanting people to read another of my articles in VHP.

Dave

Do you think I'm crying?

Me and Chris were in the same thread, and I am from MN. What cover do you think I blew?

I probably shouldn't have used that thread as an example of you trying to sell in here. A better example would be that you hot link just about every one of your posts to your website. If that isn't trying to sell here, or get free advertising I don't know what is.

Personally I think you are violating a couple rules by using a dealer name, and hot linking, but that is for site staff to decide.
Specific To Sales
1.) Companies or individuals cannot advertise or sell products and or services in the forums (including siglines and titles) without prior approval from the site owners. (Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis.)

2.) Companies or individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange. At no time should an item be listed in any discussion forum. (This includes links to auctions.)

My first post wasn't meant to be a stab at you. I was just trying to get a little clarification.
Was there more to bohica getting banned? If 50cal is right than why are you allowed to hot link, and use your business name?
If he is wrong, I think I'll start hot linking my website, as it would seem to be within the COC.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Let's bring the personal attacks to a halt, BOHICA is a douche.

Stay Classy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Locked for advertising, I suspect in tech forums but I was not involved. Like I said he needs to either talk to the staff member who locked him or the Avilas. Just opening new accounts usually causes me to lose interest in working something out  

Thanks Aimless,
I can respect that. It is what he should have done.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Useful info ran out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top