Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 11:47:50 PM EDT
Curious what you folks think of this, has not changed my mind at all, but not sure what he meant about it being bulky and to big to maneuver like a fish....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/gun-review-scar-17s-semi-auto-civilian-scar-h/
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link no worky
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Link no worky
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link no worky

Mine does.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The "charging handle is a big chunk of metal that throws off he balance of the weapon as cycles"... huh
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
TLDR version: SCAR too heavy, cant afford one, looks bulky, needs a safety disclaimer on charging handle, cant afford to shoot .308, civvies don't need one.

I own a SCAR 17 and based on the article I wonder if the author has even handled one, let alone fired it. It feels light and is the most balanced .308 battle rifle I've ever played with.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The "charging handle is a big chunk of metal that throws off he balance of the weapon as cycles"... huh
View Quote

My BS meter swung to the right on that one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Everything he publishes reads as if it were written by a 5th grade student.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
TLDR version: SCAR too heavy, cant afford one, looks bulky, needs a safety disclaimer on charging handle, cant afford to shoot .308, civvies don't need one.

I own a SCAR 17 and based on the article I wonder if the author has even handled one, let alone fired it. It feels light and is the most balanced .308 battle rifle I've ever played with.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the author is just pulling shit out his ass.  He does that a lot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Read a little of the article until the writer turned into a big whinny baby about balance and charging handle.  Love my SCAR it is the do almost everything rifle my only wish is that the stock SCAR 17s should have worked with SR-25 mags and not require a different receiver.  Kind of a none issue now for me as I was able to get mags after a year of owning it and having only 2 mags.  The stock trigger sucked but it is a battle rifle not a precision rifle and I replaced mine with a Super Scar Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#11]
If by "interesting" you mean "idiotic," then I agree.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
-1 star for reliability because of the external charging handle? Another recycled complaint that has been addressed more time than the SCARs charging handle even causing a malfunction aha. People who say that like the author probably believes that firearms just magically malfunction, hate to say but 98%-99% of malfunctions are caused by the user or operator the of 1%-2% I can say it'll be the firearm. It's like these people stuck their heads in the dirt while they were testing the SCAR for evals were it had the least stoppages/malfunctions out of all that were tested much of those were AR pattern rifles with non reciprocating charging handles aha! Beefy? Can't run the thumbs forward grip? Well change your grip to a thumb over bore or c-clamp grip it's a different grip that achieves the same attributes. To heavy? The SCAR is lighter than most of my other rifles it almost feels like I put stuff on it only to add a little "wait"..... To be honest I just use the fact SCAR being light as an excuse to buy more stuff to put on it ahah!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Its pretty obvious this guy has a big problem with the price...ive noticed the same pattern with people who try and compare their m1a or lr308 as "just as good or better". I own ar10 pattern guns and owned a few m14 platforms...all I freakin shoot now are my scars.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the same site that wrote about how stupid 1911s are. Meh. I still follow the RSS feed for news but take their reviews with a block of salt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is the same site that wrote about how stupid 1911s are. Meh. I still follow the RSS feed for news but take their reviews with a block of salt.
View Quote

But it is the truth about guns........
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is an article from 2012, so it's a bit out of date to where he stands on the SCAR 3 years later. The entire industry has become more open to the FN SCAR in that time period, and its important to understand the time period of an article before claiming it's "interesting" (it wasn't) or using the information to jusitfy a position on it.

Yes, since this article Nick was actually sponsored by Team FN and shot a SCAR-16 for 3-gun. IIRC, overall he liked it, but went back to an AR platform when his time with the team was done. Since then he's written more favorable words on it, although he still leans towards the AR.

I don't agree with everything TTAG writes, but THIS is far from the article to base the criticism on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is an article from 2012, so it's a bit out of date to where he stands on the SCAR 3 years later. The entire industry has become more open to the FN SCAR in that time period, and its important to understand the time period of an article before claiming it's "interesting" (it wasn't) or using the information to jusitfy a position on it.

Quoted:

Yes, since this article Nick was actually sponsored by Team FN and shot a SCAR-16 for 3-gun. IIRC, overall he liked it, but went back to an AR platform when his time with the team was done. Since then he's written more favorable words on it, although he still leans towards the AR.

I don't agree with everything TTAG writes, but THIS is far from the article to base the criticism on.

I lean strongly to the AR for a 5.56 rifle but in the 7.62x51(308) semi I own a SCAR but have a little buyers remorse wishing I had got a LT OBR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top