Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2012 6:47:38 PM EDT
I have a 16 and it's chopped to 10.5.  I put a new gas screw in it. I think it was 195.  I would have to go look at the receipt.  Anyway, gun ejects just fine. Recoil seems a bit more than when it was in the 16in setup.  It ejects at 3 O'clock and is very consistent as to where the brass lands. One nice neat little pile.  Anyway, I took the gun apart and there is one very small bur on the end of one of the locking lugs.  Honestly, I don't know if it's overgassed or not.  I was shooting wolf, in the suppressed setting without my can attached. It was cycling it just fine except for one round where the hammer did not reset but the next round chambered.

Y'alls input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably not overgassed if it looks like this:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/356846_SCAR_16_Unusual_Bolt_Wear.html

My rifle was replaced by FN.  I know there has been other people that have had the same problem with their SCAR.  It's kind of disappointing due to how much the rifle costs.  My new rifle has been fine.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Probably not overgassed if it looks like this:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/356846_SCAR_16_Unusual_Bolt_Wear.html

My rifle was replaced by FN.  I know there has been other people that have had the same problem with their SCAR.  It's kind of disappointing due to how much the rifle costs.  My new rifle has been fine.

well, shit. That doesn't help especially since it's now an NFA item.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's not good.  I'm sorry to hear that.  

By the way, in reference to the thread I posted, PMags didn't have anything to do with it.  I shot well over 1000 rounds out of my new SCAR using mostly PMags (same ones I used in my old SCAR) and Lancers and my bolt does not have any unusual wear.  Something was not correct with my old guns receiver.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

By the way, in reference to the thread I posted, PMags didn't have anything to do with it.  I shot well over 1000 rounds out of my new SCAR using mostly PMags (same ones I used in my old SCAR) and Lancers and my bolt does not have any unusual wear.  Something was not correct with my old guns receiver.  

I'm using straight up GI mags.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I almost wish you would have said all you used was PMags and you could prove my belief wrong.  The rear of the PMag has to be modified for use in the SCAR due to the bolt hold open device geometry, but I haven't found any problems with the feed lip height with my replacement SCAR.

I couldn't sleep last night and I spent a lot of time thinking about your situation.  I was thinking, if I was in your situation, I'd just shoot the crap out of your SCAR until something breaks, then send it back to FN.  I'd then prepare myself to pay another $200.  Perhaps you could get them to send your shortened barrel back?  

Good luck with your SCAR Joe.  Hopefully your current bolt wear is limited and it will not shear off a lug.  I can only imagine you're damn near half sick thinking about all the time and money you spent on your SCAR and have it be not quite right.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

well, shit. That doesn't help especially since it's now an NFA item.

Many people have posted on here that FN won't care if you SBR'd the rifle and needed service.

Contact them and see what they say.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's not good. I'm sorry to hear that.

By the way, in reference to the thread I posted, PMags didn't have anything to do with it. I shot well over 1000 rounds out of my new SCAR using mostly PMags (same ones I used in my old SCAR) and Lancers and my bolt does not have any unusual wear. Something was not correct with my old guns receiver.

You know, I almost wish you would have said all you used was PMags and you could prove my belief wrong. The rear of the PMag has to be modified for use in the SCAR due to the bolt hold open device geometry, but I haven't found any problems with the feed lip height with my replacement SCAR.

I couldn't sleep last night and I spent a lot of time thinking about your situation. I was thinking, if I was in your situation, I'd just shoot the crap out of your SCAR until something breaks, then send it back to FN. I'd then prepare myself to pay another $200. Perhaps you could get them to send your shortened barrel back?

Good luck with your SCAR Joe. Hopefully your current bolt wear is limited and it will not shear off a lug. I can only imagine you're damn near half sick thinking about all the time and money you spent on your SCAR and have it be not quite right.

Thanks for the input. I plan on deburring the bolt with and emory wheel. Second, get a bunch of gas screws and keep installing them till the gun short strokes and then go up one size. After that, we'll see. If something breaks, I'll get a hold of FN.  Too bad they can't just give me an upper with the old S/N on it if my gun does indeed need to be replaced. Yeah, I'm a little sick over it. We'll see how things go.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I plan on deburring the bolt with and emory wheel. Second, get a bunch of gas screws and keep installing them till the gun short strokes and then go up one size. After that, we'll see. If something breaks, I'll get a hold of FN.  Too bad they can't just give me an upper with the old S/N on it if my gun does indeed need to be replaced. Yeah, I'm a little sick over it. We'll see how things go.

Its something I believe can be fixed, or it will only wear to a certain point and then stop.

If it gets worse contact FN and see what they say, maybe being an SBR will not change their ability to repair it.

Keep us posted with how things turn out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
my scar has the same marks on the bolt i noticed them around 800 rnds now i have 5400rnds thru it and they have not gotten worse i would advise not to deburr them
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if I would deburr your locking lugs.  As rif4trbo said, I'd just let it go and see what happens.  I can only imagine it's self limiting.  

The thing that bothered me about mine, is I knew it wasn't right, and for what we all pay for SCARs, I'd expect it to be right.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

my scar has the same marks on the bolt i noticed them around 800 rnds now i have 5400rnds thru it and they have not gotten worse i would advise not to deburr them

Yeah, I thought about that deburring thing a bit more. Not the best idea I've ever had!  I'm close to 800 rounds or so and just noticed them. I'm just going to continue shooting the piss out of it. That reminds me, I need to go prep some more brass out in the garage.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't know if I would deburr your locking lugs.  As rif4trbo said, I'd just let it go and see what happens.  I can only imagine it's self limiting.  

The thing that bothered me about mine, is I knew it wasn't right, and for what we all pay for SCARs, I'd expect it to be right.

If anything ever warrants me sending it in I will definitely inform you guys.

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Joe,
Would you mind taking a picture of the bolt burr and posting it here?  If it looks just like Henny's pictures in his thread than don't worry about it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hey Joe,

Would you mind taking a picture of the bolt burr and posting it here? If it looks just like Henny's pictures in his thread than don't worry about it.

Thanks.
Pretty sure it looks just like his. Why do you say to not worry about it? Just breaking in and has tight tolerances?

ETA: Yup, just like his

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Joe,
Would you mind taking a picture of the bolt burr and posting it here? If it looks just like Henny's pictures in his thread than don't worry about it.
Thanks.
Pretty sure it looks just like his. Why do you say to not worry about it? Just breaking in and has tight tolerances?

ETA: Yup, just like his

Oh no, I meant if your pics look like his, no need to repost the same type of photo
Top Top