Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 8:00:24 PM EDT
Anyone own or have experience with a F/A Tec 9?  

I didn't think any existed, but it makes sense, as the gun was introduced in '85.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They were never manufactured as full auto. I have fired one that is and a tec22 as well. Simple firearm not made to be full auto will be a jamomatic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot one a guy had at KCR bout 10 years ago. It shot fast as hell and other than being a bullet hose it was nothing special. His was a registered bolt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Interdynamic KG9/MP9
Interdynamic KG99

Intratec Tec 9
Intratec DC 9

They all look very similar, and one of them is pre 1986 & goes pew-pew pew-pew pew-pew pew-pew from an open bolt.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Interdynamic_KG-9_/_Intratec_TEC-9

They are bullet hoses ment for looking mean, but not known for accuracy.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There are conversions out there......registered bolts and registered receivers......

Registered bolt is the way to go.....the polymer receivers on them don't hold up well to FA fire and are known for cracking....
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn't think any existed, but it makes sense, as the gun was introduced in '85.

View Quote

Shot a F/A KG-9 which was OB.

Were the F/A versions of the Tec-9 Open bolt of Full Auto?

This gun was a regular on Miami Vice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
the one i had, if you stood 10ft in front of me you were safe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original SMG was the Interdynamics MP-9.....selective fire with an M-3 Greasegun style collapsable stock and a VFG

KG-9 was the open-bolt semi version of the MP-9 (no stock or VFG)
KG-99 was the closed bolt (post-'82) version of the KG-9.
The TEC-9's came later.....trying to cash in on the "convertability" of the earlier guns.....
A KG-9 bolt will drop straight into a KG-99.....but doing so is an NFA violation, even though all you have made is an open-bolt semi......
CATCO made some registered bolts post-'82/pre-'86.......and I've seen a few registered receiver conversions done by modifying the disconnector of KG-9's.....

Don't run hot ammo thru them...115gr is enough.......because the lower (registered/serialed part) will crack/break.......thats why a registered bolt is the way to go.....just swap it from one "ghetto blaster" host gun to another after it snaps in half..........
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been offered a registered bolt for a approximately the price of a MAC. I'm really debating.

It's a relatively small amount for a rare MG. But the Tec9 is so ugly that I'm torn on what to do. I like the rarity of the gun, but again, it's a ridiculous gun. Maybe I just need it for my collection. I'm very undecided on whether or not to buy it. I might just buy it for the rarity, and then shoot it once a year. Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Tony go for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the one i had, if you stood 10ft in front of me you were safe.
View Quote

They weren't kidding in the new Red Dawn movie!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been offered a registered bolt for a approximately the price of a MAC. I'm really debating.

It's a relatively small amount for a rare MG. But the Tec9 is so ugly that I'm torn on what to do. I like the rarity of the gun, but again, it's a ridiculous gun. Maybe I just need it for my collection. I'm very undecided on whether or not to buy it. I might just buy it for the rarity, and then shoot it once a year. Decisions, decisions...
View Quote

Can you 3D print a frame?  I imagine with age and the low quality plastic used, there will be a point where all the frames will crack with just a few mag dumps.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
"Uzi, Ingram, and Intratec firearms: in the eyes of many, they have become the Terrifying Three, guns that spew out a deadly hail of projectiles faster than a person can blink, weapons that heroes and bad guys all recognize as the ultimate in weaponry..."   So begins the 1989 book, The Terrifying Three" by Duncan Long.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
There a lot of gun culture silliness about the Interdynamics (later Intratec) design that's been repeated so often over the years it's become truth.  It's often not.

Over the course of years that the company property changed ownership from hand to hand, it is true that models did decline in quality from the original Interdynamics MP-9/KG-9 design down to the last TEC-DC9 models before Intratec finally went tits up.  Overall, these guns -- at least the earliest models -- don't deserve the abuse that popular gun culture has heaped on them.  

A full auto open bolt Interdynamics gun is as reliable as any tube gun SMG and is even better than many others.  Originals came with good mags (the Swedish K design) and were quite reliable.  They just have a ripping fast cyclic rate and in that small of a package it can be disconcerting to even experienced shooters.  They also have no drop safety, so you need to consciously treat it like an early model Sten gun.  Come to think of it, if the MP-9/KG-9 machine pistol had been around during WWII in British service it would today probably be regarded as a celebrated weapon of British para commandos alongside the Sten gun.  The comical portrayal of the KG-9 as shown in the Michael Douglas movie 'Falling Down' (the Whammyburger scene) is a pretty accurate portrayal of a full auto open bolt Interdynamics pistol.  They'll empty a full mag in about a second and a half without fail.

The later model closed bolt KG-99s can exhibit pretty startling accuracy, especially when demonstrated in front of shooters who've been led to believe these guns are an "inaccurate jamtastic POS".   Be extra vigilant to ensure that your closed bolt version of the Interdynamics/Intratec pistol has a unloaded chamber before disassembly as they will fire upon disassembly if there's a round in the chamber.

Also, an Interdynamics production-spec KG-9 bolt will not function in a KG-99/TEC-9 without modification to the upper reciever tube.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#14]
We'll, it's wayyyyyy down my list and wouldn't be a priority for me, but you have one helluva collection Tony.  With respect, whats $5000-6000 to a guy who just bought two M240s in the same month?  Buy it and add it to the collection.  It's an interesting piece for a reasonable amount of coin
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We'll, it's wayyyyyy down my list and wouldn't be a priority for me, but you have one helluva collection Tony.  With respect, whats $5000-6000 to a guy who just bought two M240s in the same month?  Buy it and add it to the collection.  It's an interesting piece for a reasonable amount of coin
View Quote
I am going to say the opposite. Why spend the money I less it will bring you joy.

I have a ton of mgs and I only shoot 3 regularly and 2 more on  occasion. The rest are cool. But they take up room and clutter up my safe and can become  burdensome

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
It was a tough decision, but I ended up not buying it because I figured I would buy it and then never shoot it. I really can't see myself enjoying a TEC9.

I shoot all my machine guns, and I just couldn't see myself taking this one out more than the first time. Especially with the machine pistol incoming, I don't really have a desire to have the TEC9. It was a close decision though. I kind of wanted it just to say I have it (collector mentality), but in the end, what tipped me to the 'no' was when the brokering dealer admitted that the TEC9, fired in full auto does tear up the gun, this necessitating replacement guns. The pain is that replacing the guns isn't like a drop in RDIAS. It needs a smith.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
if someone has not already asked could I have a lead on that tec-9?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely off topic, but I have wondered for the longest damn time where your avatar is from. My friend loaned me a copy of High Risk because my three MACs make me the biggest MAC fan ever, apparently.

Fun movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top