User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We're gonna need info on your previous project + pictures... And pictures of any significant others.

My breech was made by Mike Riker of Pioneer Weapons out of Laveen AZ. PM me for contact info if you're serious. His stuff is good up to the head diameter of the 20x102 or 30x113, but not bigger. He's got a 40mm bofors tho and likes making big stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please hit me up if I can help anyone down their own project road.  When I started this it was really hard to find anyone to talk with about it.  The guy who Jestertoo bought his base cannon from is a stellar individual and was the first home-build cannon guy who gave me info.  I'm trying to repay the favor down the road.

Can do! I'm about to file for yet another 30mm, this time I guess it'll be using 30x173mm. Who made the base cannon/action for Jestertoo? I'm capable of the machining and will likely go for a simple screw breech, as you did, but knowing more sources for large bore stuff never hurts.

Where did you find pressure specs on the cartridge, and for that matter firm numbers on loading, or did you work it up in QL or similar? I can turn some new projectiles easy enough on the lathe, I can always sleeve the primer pockets down to 50 BMG primer pockets if need be, but the other sticking point is finding any powder that's slow enough to realistically use. I've found the 30mm percussion primers, but they end up being about $4/ea after hazmat, plus there's the issue with the storage requirements.

What threads did you end up using for the breech, anyway? I can calculate thread engagement, material strength at different hardness, total engagement of all pressure parts, etc., but without knowing the chamber pressure it's only a guess. The bolt thrust will be easy enough to calculate once I have that number, and then cut open a case to do some measuring on the base.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm excited to get yet another cannon together.

We're gonna need info on your previous project + pictures... And pictures of any significant others.

My breech was made by Mike Riker of Pioneer Weapons out of Laveen AZ. PM me for contact info if you're serious. His stuff is good up to the head diameter of the 20x102 or 30x113, but not bigger. He's got a 40mm bofors tho and likes making big stuff.

Oh, the falling block actions? I've heard good things, for sure. Lever on the side, fairly short throw and all that. Sort of like a Krupp but the breech moves vertically instead of horizontally. I was going to ask questions about chamber pressure and loading for 30x173mm, but if he mainly deals with 20x102mm and the 30mm ADEN stuff, no need. An L/70 or L/60 is on my "some day" list, but for now it's a bit out of my reach. I've come across a guy selling two dual breech actions, tons of barrels and projectiles and cases, but it's more than I want to spend and he won't break any of it up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm out of town and on my phone so I'll keep his short.

Check out the 30mm goodness thread linked on page 2 for a link to the armament engineering book.  There's a good bit of load, powder, and pressure info online on the gov't ammo manufacturer websites but you have to dig for it.  Shadygrady can get appropriate powder.  I've so far used the "superslow" powder which I believe is pulled 105mm powder.  I believe I've been using 4oz but will have to check my notes for loads and the spec info you were looking for.  I'm hoping to shoot the 30mm specific powder later this summer

I'll send more info when I'm back and can pull notes

Good luck.  Keep us posted
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks very much for letting me know, I appreciate it!

So the engineering book is the more modern H. Peter book, that clarifies that. I'll order a copy immediately, although I've been reading through the three part series from US AMC anyway, as it was free online.

Good call on checking spec sheets from the manufacturers, I found exactly what I need regarding pressure and so forth. I didn't expect that to be so easily available, to be honest!

I saw the powder on GunBroker, shadygrady of course, and wondered if that was what you were using, thanks for the clarification.

I look forward to more information when you have a chance.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice to have you back!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top