User Panel

Site Notices
SiCo Omega modularness (Page 11 of 19)
Page / 19
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

He makes the adapter that would allow you to attach the Saker trifecta MAAD adapter to the Omega, which would let you use Saker-style muzzle devices.
View Quote
Hey BigWaylon, did you ever talk to Howard about doing a shorter YHM adapter?   The DM one has been out of stock for a while, and I think you mentioned wanting an even shorter one.  I was thinking about running one of the new YHM brakes cut down to two chambers.

Not having seen them in person, I wonder if the Griffon taper mount would be just as good as the YHM.  it certainly seems simpler, and the minimalist brakes are ready to go.  DM already makes an adapter for their tubes, perhaps they would make a few in Omega thread...

-J
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Got a reply back:

Right now I am turning a 300lb piece into a 20lb piece. I will have about a week of programing and then another week of machining to make that one part.  I started making more 3lug wrenches Friday should have them done this week.  I have a lot of  custom work to do and feel bad for taking so long to get things complete.

And yes, I told him I needed before & after pics of whatever the current project is.
View Quote
Cmon Howard it's been a year lol
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By xBabyJesus:

Hey BigWaylon, did you ever talk to Howard about doing a shorter YHM adapter?   The DM one has been out of stock for a while, and I think you mentioned wanting an even shorter one.  I was thinking about running one of the new YHM brakes cut down to two chambers.

Not having seen them in person, I wonder if the Griffon taper mount would be just as good as the YHM.  it certainly seems simpler, and the minimalist brakes are ready to go.  DM already makes an adapter for their tubes, perhaps they would make a few in Omega thread...

-J
View Quote
But the beautiful part of the YHM mounting system is unique, and that is all of the moving or wear parts in the brake or flash hider, not the suppressor side.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JPK:
But the beautiful part of the YHM mounting system is unique, and that is all of the moving or wear parts in the brake or flash hider, not the suppressor side.
View Quote
I agree that seems to be a cool feature. Without having used it, it seems like eventually the suppressor-side teeth could wear / round out?

Anyway the taper mount systems (Griffin, etc) don't seem to have any wear parts, and could be made lighter.  I have the TBAC taper mounts on my Ultra 7 & 9, but it's "fine thread" and looks kind of delicate.

Another option I've been looking at is the Area419 hellfire mounts:
http://www.area419.com/product/hellfire_suppressor_mount/

They are very slick. He just finished the Gen 2 parts that eliminate the locking collar and are lower profile. I've tried to convince Jon@Area419 to make them in titanium but so far no luck
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Could someone PM me contact info for these please? I just picked up my Omega today and did not realize until I got home that it was not threaded for 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]

I agree that seems to be a cool feature. Without having used it, it seems like eventually the suppressor-side teeth could wear / round out?

Anyway the taper mount systems (Griffin, etc) don't seem to have any wear parts, and could be made lighter.  I have the TBAC taper mounts on my Ultra 7 & 9, but it's "fine thread" and looks kind of delicate.

Another option I've been looking at is the Area419 hellfire mounts:
http://www.area419.com/product/hellfire_suppressor_mount/

They are very slick. He just finished the Gen 2 parts that eliminate the locking collar and are lower profile. I've tried to convince Jon@Area419 to make them in titanium but so far no luck
View Quote
In order of your comments.

I don't think the YHM suppressor side is subject to much wear. No reports I could find after a brief search of either side wearing out. But it would be easy to prevent suppressor side wear by merely making the mount side more subject to wear via hardening differences or alloy differences.

There is a ten minute video by Griffin on the maintenance of their taper mount. Find it Googling "Griffin taper mount video" and I think you will find that a.) not maintenance free, b.) not wear free, c.) other difficulty removing issues addressed. Also, while I have no first hand experience, the ratchet sound on dismount makes me think there are wear items in the suppressor side.

IMO, the TBAC system essentially has the MD as a thread adapter, and the suppressor is essentially a DT suppressor. But here too, no first hand experience.

I like the area 419 idea, but the ASR mount ain't that bad, though not idiot proof, and if idiot proof is the goal, go YHM. The area 419 essentially converts the suppressor to DT as I see it. For the $s, Big Waylon's contact does that for less, iirc, and the results are shorter and much lighter. In addition, Big Waylon's machinist friend installs wrench flats on the inside of the DT module, so there is none of the backing off complaints with DTs without flats for installing with enough torque.

Interesting discussion... would like to hear you responses. Learning is always good!

JPK
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Im in for a YHM mount whenever that gets around to being done . I also spoke with John @ 419 if there was an ETA on his omega mount. He said there was no set timeline on release but they are coming. His website currently shows they are available on back order?

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xBabyJesus] [#10]

In order of your comments.

I don't think the YHM suppressor side is subject to much wear. No reports I could find after a brief search of either side wearing out. But it would be easy to prevent suppressor side wear by merely making the mount side more subject to wear via hardening differences or alloy differences.

There is a ten minute video by Griffin on the maintenance of their taper mount. Find it Googling "Griffin taper mount video" and I think you will find that a.) not maintenance free, b.) not wear free, c.) other difficulty removing issues addressed. Also, while I have no first hand experience, the ratchet sound on dismount makes me think there are wear items in the suppressor side.

IMO, the TBAC system essentially has the MD as a thread adapter, and the suppressor is essentially a DT suppressor. But here too, no first hand experience.

I like the area 419 idea, but the ASR mount ain't that bad, though not idiot proof, and if idiot proof is the goal, go YHM. The area 419 essentially converts the suppressor to DT as I see it. For the $s, Big Waylon's contact does that for less, iirc, and the results are shorter and much lighter. In addition, Big Waylon's machinist friend installs wrench flats on the inside of the DT module, so there is none of the backing off complaints with DTs without flats for installing with enough torque.

Interesting discussion... would like to hear you responses. Learning is always good!

JPK
View Quote
You referred to the TBAC and 419 systems as essentially Direct Thread, which doesn't make sense to me.  The taper is supposed to prevent backing off, unlike DT.

FWIW I already have the titanium DT parts. They are nice, and light, but not an equivalent to taper mount.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, the Area 419 mounts put the threads after the taper, which seems like it would help a lot with carbon lock-up.  The design (left hand thread, etc) seems really clever.  My only concern there is if the mounts dry up after you've invested in adapters/mounts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
yep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
Could someone PM me contact info for these please? I just picked up my Omega today and did not realize until I got home that it was not threaded for 1/2x28.
yep
BW, please pm the info to me as well. I'd like to have some Ti parts for my hybrid.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#13]

You referred to the TBAC and 419 systems as essentially Direct Thread, which doesn't make sense to me.  The taper is supposed to prevent backing off, unlike DT.

FWIW I already have the titanium DT parts. They are nice, and light, but not an equivalent to taper mount.
View Quote
Fine thread to a taper. To me that adds up to a DT, which is fine thread to a shoulder. As far as backing off, that is really easy to fix - wrench flats ( which are provided on the Ti DT module.)

DT is shorter by about .6" and lighter by the weight of the muzzle device.

But, if you need to swap suppressors host to host, then the YHM system. Wear parts on the mount, Acme threads, one handed, simple as could be.

JPK
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Fine thread to a taper. To me that adds up to a DT, which is fine thread to a shoulder. As far as backing off, that is really easy to fix - wrench flats ( which are provided on the Ti DT module.)

But, if you need to swap suppressors host to host, then the YHM system. Wear parts on the mount, Acme threads, one handed, simple as could be.

JPK
View All Quotes

JPK
That's not the conventional wisdom. Are you saying that from experience, DT == taper?

Explained in another thread...

Originally posted by Green0:
The function of thread loosening is vibration. The semi locking taper removes vibration making the mount impervious to inadvertent loosening. That is basically most of what anyone ever wanted to change in a thread mount.

The mount can be installed with propper torque once rather than the thread mount can which has to be properly torqued every time you move it around for similar freedom from worry. Mounts also isolate dissimilar heating and expansion in relation to the barrel somewhat which is another contributor to loose cans. The cans are thin wall. The mounts are similar in mass and composition to barrel steel.

Thread mounts are great if you dont mind always wondering if they will break loose or re tightening them often.

Many qd systems have some slight play and the taper mount has none.
In some applications play can be tolerated or is desired but not in all applications.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]
What I am saying is that if the threads are as fine as those, you might as well go DT, save some length and the weight of the MD.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent this guy an email in Sept (give or take a month) about the blast shield and a M18x1 direct thread adapter.  Got one or two replies and haven't heard from him since.  I guess he didn't want my money.  It's ok, DM got me covered.

I understand people have other things going on in their lives but stop taking on so much work if you are falling behind by 6+ months.  I mean seriously, what is the point?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
I sent this guy an email in Sept (give or take a month) about the blast shield and a M18x1 direct thread adapter.  Got one or two replies and haven't heard from him since.  I guess he didn't want my money.  It's ok, DM got me covered.

I understand people have other things going on in their lives but stop taking on so much work if you are falling behind by 6+ months.  I mean seriously, what is the point?
View Quote
He hasn't made the blast shields yet, and I think Waylon has mentioned before that he's doing this work on the side.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone please enlighten me. I'm new to suppressors and have an Omega bought and will be waiting a while to get it. I did contact the machinist and will be getting the Ti 1/2-28DT mount and 5.56 end cap. If I set up my Omega with these, will I be causing premature wear to my baffles? Don't I need to use some kind of flash hider or brake using this on my 5.56 AR? I admit I did kind of jump on the bandwagon here. How are all of you planning on using the DT mounts and not ruining your baffles?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:16:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NEA_1029] [#19]
Premature wear, unless you have a SBR you shouldn't worry about it. I suggest running a muzzle brake to provide a "sacrificial blast baffle." In most cases I highly doubt you will see much wear regardless, plus SicO customer service is Top-Notch.

Ill just put this here for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sj8FP5nh98
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopherboy128] [#20]
Got my adapter from Howard. Looks great! Nice black finish.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tgad2:
Someone please enlighten me. I'm new to suppressors and have an Omega bought and will be waiting a while to get it. I did contact the machinist and will be getting the Ti 1/2-28DT mount and 5.56 end cap. If I set up my Omega with these, will I be causing premature wear to my baffles? Don't I need to use some kind of flash hider or brake using this on my 5.56 AR? I admit I did kind of jump on the bandwagon here. How are all of you planning on using the DT mounts and not ruining your baffles?
View Quote
Premature wear -- well you won't have a "sacrificial" muzzle break, so there will be more first-baffle wear than otherwise. However, the Omega has a stellite blast baffle, so probably not going to see a lot of added wear unless you're running it on a really short SBR.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Premature wear -- well you won't have a "sacrificial" muzzle break, so there will be more first-baffle wear than otherwise. However, the Omega has a stellite blast baffle, so probably not going to see a lot of added wear unless you're running it on a really short SBR.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tgad2:
The Omega is rated for a 10" or greater length barrel for the 5.56/223. Stick with the rating and live happily ever after, knowing that if you ever wear it out, which you won't, SiCo will take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be using it on 10.5 and 11.5" AR's. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Contact info please?

Would love a dt and end cap for my omega.

I also wish I had seen this sooner as stamp is on the way to dealer now!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:17:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackhalo] [#25]
Originally Posted By NEA_1029:
Im in for a YHM mount whenever that gets around to being done . I also spoke with John @ 419 if there was an ETA on his omega mount. He said there was no set timeline on release but they are coming. His website currently shows they are available on back order?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/NEA_1029/IMG_5486_zpsb06mww5g.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/NEA_1029/IMG_5267_zpspe04m58e.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/NEA_1029/IMG_5268_zpsxar6b1y7.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/NEA_1029/IMG_5269_zpsisfbqzks.jpg
View Quote
Pretty nice though I'm not sure it's worth it over the ASR, how much weight savings is there?

Also, I see they offer it for TBAC CB mounts...why would you switch from TBAC'S simple taper mount? Not seeing the huge upside with that.

And would it be possible to make a adapter for the Omega to work with one of the taper mounts? I might go that route for my bolt gun if it's possible.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:

Pretty nice though I'm not sure it's worth it over the ASR, how much weight savings is there?

Also, I see they offer it for TBAC CB mounts...why would you switch from TBAC'S simple taper mount? Not seeing the huge upside with that.

And would it be possible to make a adapter for the Omega to work with one of the taper mounts? I might go that route for my bolt gun if it's possible.
View Quote
Area419 adapter + mount is about half the weight of ASR + brake.

TBAC brakes are friggin expensive. Like, twice everyone else's.  Also, you can't swap suppressors around between hosts if they have different mounts..  I have (2) omegas and (2) ultras...
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Area419 adapter + mount is about half the weight of ASR + brake.

TBAC brakes are friggin expensive. Like, twice everyone else's.  Also, you can't swap suppressors around between hosts if they have different mounts..  I have (2) omegas and (2) ultras...
View Quote
Yeah, I guess. I've got SF socom stuff so I understand expensive mounts.

The Area419 with the brake and suppressor mount is going to be 200+ which is spendy as well.

Which route are you planning on going with the omegas?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xBabyJesus] [#28]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:

Yeah, I guess. I've got SF socom stuff so I understand expensive mounts.

The Area419 with the brake and suppressor mount is going to be 200+ which is spendy as well.

Which route are you planning on going with the omegas?
View Quote
The brake is expensive, but the universal adapters are relatively cheap ($30-50).  I don't really need the brake.  The Suppressor mounts are (edit) not that spendy, and it's one per suppressor instead of per host.  You're right, though, it still adds up to a lot.

I'm still debating.  The YHM adapter is basically unavailable with no ETA, so for me it's Area419 vs Key-Mo vs just keep the ASR stuff.   The direct thread parts are sweet and I might keep one Omega dedicated on the 300BLK SBR.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Does it matter if I use a Brake, flash hider or direct thread?
for a Saker762
on a 8" sbr 300bo subs

thx

BW does he make a direct thread for saker762 in 5/8x24?

Please send me his info, I need an adapter, thx
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#31]
BigWaylon, can you also send me the contact info for your machinist?  I'm looking for Omega titanium end caps.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Contact information here as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Been watching this thread since I bought my Omega a few months ago, but have been slightly hesitant as I'm not a fan of the "bling" look of having unfinished metal.  Is it possible to get these coated at all?  I guess I'd like contact info as well in case I decide to get one anyway.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By btm7687:
Been watching this thread since I bought my Omega a few months ago, but have been slightly hesitant as I'm not a fan of the "bling" look of having unfinished metal.  Is it possible to get these coated at all?  I guess I'd like contact info as well in case I decide to get one anyway.  Thanks
View Quote
How about weight reduction. . And they're cheaper than an oe dt adapter
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#35]
Originally Posted By btm7687:
View Quote
The most recent batch of direct thread modules and end caps were coated black and looked great.

Here's a photo of one of my Omegas mounted DT, with flat end cap, you can see the DT module and end cap are black (you can tell they're black because they don't stick out like bling:)

JPK
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Yep they are nicely coated black now, glad I waited. I just ordered a 2nd set this week for my Hybrid before SiCo has some skinney pants lawyer shut him down, and Howard confirmed there is still no extra charge for the black coating. The parts are great and how many people would insist on sending you the product before you send the check? I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
What are the 30 cal Flat caps costing?

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Someone should make a titanium fitting that lets you link two Omegas together.

12', 24 oz suppressor... For funzies
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dan1477:
Someone should make a titanium fitting that lets you link two Omegas together.

12', 24 oz suppressor... For funzies
View Quote
Some crazy fools may have tried coupling two Hybrids together...

https://www.facebook.com/CapitolArmory/videos/1719190244986398/
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Last I heard it was $45/shipped. I don't think he changed the price when he started coating them, he just ate the cost. Maybe somebody that's ordered one recently can confirm?
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:
Correct.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:

Last I heard it was $45/shipped. I don't think he changed the price when he started coating them, he just ate the cost. Maybe somebody that's ordered one recently can confirm?
Correct.
Can you send me the info?

Thanks

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#45]
can i please have his info as well, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I got my 3 lug wrench last week from Howard. I agree with everyone else, he is under charging
It's a great tool to have on the bench
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Pics of the wrench?

Spoiled I tell ya' . Have been using a couple of Howard's DT adapters. Went back to the Sico DT adapter. Man that thing feels like it's made out of lead compared to the TI one. May have to order some more stuff from him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#48]
What else does Howard offer?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Can I also get Howard's contact info? thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#50]
Page / 19
SiCo Omega modularness (Page 11 of 19)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top