Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 11:32:17 AM EDT
I hate these threads about "what's the value" but here I am.

An older gentleman I talk with weekly is moving to Florida and shares firearm interests with me.  He told me today he wanted to give me a British SMLE he had.  I told him I'd be happy to give him some cash for it, and his response was, "two dollars."

I don't know anything about the SMLE, or anything about this particular one other than he said it's a 1944 and chambered in .303.  No idea what condition or anything.  I know that's not much to go on, but I want to give him some fair value.  My instinct is $150-200.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Its so hard to say without the details.  But I think $150 would be fair and really surprise him.  And you still would have your morals.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
SMLEs at $150 are a thing of the past. 275-350 is the base for a well used gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Too many variables , but yes $250 to $350 seems the norm for common decent shape pieces.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Get together and look at exactly what it is. Look around online to get a consensus on the value. Pay him what it is worth. If he doesn't want to take your money ask him what his favorite charity is. You will both part ways with a great memory of each other.

You are a stand-up guy OP
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, didn't update. Met up with him and asked him what he thought was fair. He refused again, and I said I wasn't taking it for free. He said "five bucks". I said $200. He said no, no, no. A short back and forth and I got him to take it. Of course, he then says he's got another rifle that was tinkered with (I'm guessing sporterized to some extent) that he's going to bring me and won't accept any money this time because it's not original. Dunno what type.

Posted in C&R to request info:  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/477403_1944-No--4-Mk-I--info-request--pic-heavy-.html

I get that he just wanted someone to have it that will appreciate it. I'm glad he didn't insist on $5...I wouldn't have wanted to offend him but would've felt terrible about accepting at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, didn't update. Met up with him and asked him what he thought was fair. He refused again, and I said I wasn't taking it for free. He said "five bucks". I said $200. He said no, no, no. A short back and forth and I got him to take it. Of course, he then says he's got another rifle that was tinkered with (I'm guessing sporterized to some extent) that he's going to bring me and won't accept any money this time because it's not original. Dunno what type.

Posted in C&R to request info:  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/477403_1944-No--4-Mk-I--info-request--pic-heavy-.html

I get that he just wanted someone to have it that will appreciate it. I'm glad he didn't insist on $5...I wouldn't have wanted to offend him but would've felt terrible about accepting at the same time.
View Quote
Good job.

Healthy peer-to-peer relationships are built on equitable exchange. Bad blood between friends ALWAYS starts when somebody gives something for nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top