Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 12:37:15 AM EDT
I came into a Canadian built Long Branch 1944 No. 4 Mk I*.  I don't know much about these rifles other than some short read-ups across the internet.

It seems to me to be in pretty good condition. I don't have safe queens (and can't imagine there's any collector value), so I plan on shooting it. Still, I'd like to know as much as I can about it.

First, does it appear to be all original, no sporterized or bubba jobs?  Second, what do I need to look at to determine suitability to shoot?  The bolt was chattering when I first gave it a go, but a touch of oil smoothed that out to butter.

Anyway here's some pics, I basically took a shot of any stampings I saw:

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.  

I see the mag is matching to the gun.  That's good.  Sometimes uou have to adjust the feed lips to get them to feed properly.  I had to do it with my No.4 and my Mk lll but neither came with a matching mag so maybe you won't have to.

That's not a GI sling though it is in the 1907 style.  And is as good style of sling for the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything I can see looks fine, and appears to be of Long Branch make. The magazine is matching, but may be a Savage magazine. Long Branch did get what was left of Savage's inventory when they stopped making rifles in 1944, and some parts trading did go on, so that may very well be correct.

I'm on the other side of the fence with the sling. It may be good from a shooting perspective, but it doesn't belong on an Enfield. Replace it with a P'08 web sling.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Very cool. I think I came across those in my searches. IIRC, you said the only difference between the '91 and '02 was the '02 omitted bedding. Much appreciated!

And thank you to the others that replied. I didn't think the sling belonged, but my searches indicated that Brauer Bros Mfg did make wartime productions. I'll look into the proper web sling.

Now to see if I can find some .303 ammo locally.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Enfield rifles don't like boat tail bullets so don't shoot any Prvi .303.  Or at least the blue box stuff l shot in my Mk lll was 174 gr fmjbt and l was lucky to hit the IDPA silhouette at 20 feet!  And many of them were sideways.  But then the bore in that rifle is severely worn so thats likely most of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Enfield rifles don't like boat tail bullets so don't shoot any Prvi .303.  Or at least the blue box stuff l shot in my Mk lll was 174 gr fmjbt and l was lucky to hit the IDPA silhouette at 20 feet!  And many of them were sideways.  But then the bore in that rifle is severely worn so thats likely most of it.
View Quote
Most likely it's your bore, as my No 4 Savage loves that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Worth having the head space checked by a local smith unless you have the gages.  I had a couple that did not have the correct bolt head (they used different length bolt heads to adjust head space) and was piercing all kinds of primers.

The good news is that you can find some of the different size bolt heads, but depending on what you need may have to do some custom work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top