Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does she want a PDW?

A 7.5" 5.56 will be fine for cqb velocity wise but will be super loud, you will need a suppressor.

FWIW, you can still make a very short and light weight SBR with a 10.5" barrel. There a lot of light weight parts out there. Check out V7 and vertex ops.
View Quote

It's gonna be loud even with a suppressor.  It's still gonna be going 2x supersonic at the muzzle. 147gr subsonics with a can is way different.

I am personally not a big fan of all the 7.5" 5.56's I've shot. They are awkwardly short to me, even though PCC's with that barrel length aren't. They just lack that certain "something" to me, and seem like obnoxious range toys.  Actually all the ones I've shot (5.56, x39, 308) are by definition obnoxious range toys   I worry about burning my hand or shooting a finger off with then.  Why not go 10.3+?

Or get a 7.5 with an 11" handguard and direct-thread the can underneath, maybe? Idk. You can do something similar with 9mm and have it be even shorter and hearing safe, so mote fun to practice with..

You can get gold dots in 223 for 50cpr now too, which is pretty cool, but 9mm is cheaper to practice.

/rambling
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OP if she wants low recoil and you like the idea of a .22 caliber bullet you might also look at a Kel Tec CMR 30 in .22 WMR

30 round mags of some pretty pissed off bees.  .22 WMR is a dirty mean nasty little round.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CMR30_lucidM7_DSC1159web.jpg

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CMR30_lucidM7_magnifier_2953web.jpg

View Quote

Rimfire not as reliable as centefire. Those look like a ton of fun, though.  Ammo also more expensive than 9mm
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

not necessarly a PDW but yes needs to be light and as neutral balanced as possible. I figure the smaller it is the lighter it will be. I do own a lathe so I can also profile the barrel down to machine some weight off if need be. I also have to account for the weight of the suppressor in my plans. The quieter and lighter it is the greater chance I have of keeping her interested in it to get as much trigger time as possible. she'll shoot her 22 all day but her 9mm she gets tired of it after 20-30 rounds. so the more I get her to shoot is a double bonus for me. 1 she gains more proficency and 2nd I get more range time!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does she want a PDW?

A 7.5" 5.56 will be fine for cqb velocity wise but will be super loud, you will need a suppressor.

FWIW, you can still make a very short and light weight SBR with a 10.5" barrel. There a lot of light weight parts out there. Check out V7 and vertex ops.

not necessarly a PDW but yes needs to be light and as neutral balanced as possible. I figure the smaller it is the lighter it will be. I do own a lathe so I can also profile the barrel down to machine some weight off if need be. I also have to account for the weight of the suppressor in my plans. The quieter and lighter it is the greater chance I have of keeping her interested in it to get as much trigger time as possible. she'll shoot her 22 all day but her 9mm she gets tired of it after 20-30 rounds. so the more I get her to shoot is a double bonus for me. 1 she gains more proficency and 2nd I get more range time!

Sounds like an AR9 SBR with subs and a can is the way to go, she will think it's just like shooting the 22, but better. 7.5 5.56=tons of blast and flash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How about an MP5SFA3?  If you can find one.  9mm, semi-auto only, retractable buttstock.  Short and light.  You can add a can and worry about stocking subsonic ammo later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
B+T APC9

If you are familiar with the NFA paperwork making it a SBR won't be a problem.  

Easy platform to learn, low recoil, light weight, and easy to suppress being basically just a fancy blowback 9mm.

Yes, its on the high end of the price spectrum, but, that's secondary for what it's job is going to be.  

We don't have the option to SBR where I live so my wife runs an AUG.  We would have a second TP9 if we didn't live in Illinois, and will be, for the foreseeable future.  

Once you add in the application of the weapon for self defense, everything changes.   I sold the AR-180B, the Century AKs, the SKS, and the Saiga 12 and bought the AUG.  I don't own any firearm, save for the .22lrs, that I don't trust as much as I can trust a mechanical device. When I realized that I'm not going to be wealthy enough to be a collector I realized I would rather have quality over quantity.  That comes with a price and my wife's well being is worth the nearly $3000.00 investment after the weapon, optic, light, magazines, and ammunition to become proficient in handling the weapon when it really counts.

And God damn, does she have a good time showing guys up on the range in the short time she's been running it.  Being comfortable with the weapon is critical.  

When I'm gone our American Staffordshire Terrier (that's a Pit for all the haters) should give her enough time to get to the AUG and its 42 rounds. Turn on the light, put the dot on the target, and keep shooting.  Call the cops if you have time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
PS90
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
How bout a Micro-Roni-Stab.

The new gen ones are cool. $225MSRP +stamp or $299 for brace version.  Super compact, glock reliable/mags. I don't think they're out yet.  Smaller than a AR9 or Scorpion.  It holds an extra mag in it, can hook up a light, can, laser.  Economic and awesome.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
SBR versión is  $225 MSRP + stamp. Even if you have to buy a Glock, that's still cheaper than most things, and you have a extra glock.

They're 13" folded

IMO they look super sweet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SBR versión is  $225 MSRP + stamp. Even if you have to buy a Glock, that's still cheaper than most things, and you have a extra glock.

They're 13" folded

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/caa-roni-4.jpg

IMO they look super sweet.
View Quote

this is something I will definitly look into. I do like the looks of that. sucks that it wont fit a glock 34 though (one of my planned future purchases)
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Even if you bought a g17/19, it would be cheaper than most of the alternatives.  And everyone needs a 17/19
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Even if you bought a g17/19, it would be cheaper than most of the alternatives.  And everyone needs a 17/19
View Quote

tried a 19 twice and just can't warm up to it. I do like my 17's though. and I chopped one to a 19 grip length but left the rear backstrap flush with the magazine like a 26. it's my favorite handgun period and 99% of the time my EDC
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Just be sure that if you don't like the gun, you can get your wife back.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
decided to build her a 9mm upper to put on my sbr lower with a hahn mag adapter. will be awhile till I get it up. can't even get a barrel blank from green mountain yet. did get a reamer though. i'm going to try a DI 9mm upper. i'm hoping I can get it to cycle with a suppressor but I seem to recall ron williams stating that the dwell time with 9mm was an issue with the shorter barrels. going to see if those 165gr x-treme bullets will help with that, time will only tell. I figure my stamps are still 3-6 months out at the rate the atf is running.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Get your wife a M1 Carbine. Easy to carry and shoot. Soft point ammo is very effective too. Look for an import marked one on Gunbroker. They sell for less.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
B+T APC9

If you are familiar with the NFA paperwork making it a SBR won't be a problem.  

Easy platform to learn, low recoil, light weight, and easy to suppress being basically just a fancy blowback 9mm.

Yes, its on the high end of the price spectrum, but, that's secondary for what it's job is going to be.  

We don't have the option to SBR where I live so my wife runs an AUG.  We would have a second TP9 if we didn't live in Illinois, and will be, for the foreseeable future.  

Once you add in the application of the weapon for self defense, everything changes.   I sold the AR-180B, the Century AKs, the SKS, and the Saiga 12 and bought the AUG.  I don't own any firearm, save for the .22lrs, that I don't trust as much as I can trust a mechanical device. When I realized that I'm not going to be wealthy enough to be a collector I realized I would rather have quality over quantity.  That comes with a price and my wife's well being is worth the nearly $3000.00 investment after the weapon, optic, light, magazines, and ammunition to become proficient in handling the weapon when it really counts.

And God damn, does she have a good time showing guys up on the range in the short time she's been running it.  Being comfortable with the weapon is critical.  

When I'm gone our American Staffordshire Terrier (that's a Pit for all the haters) should give her enough time to get to the AUG and its 42 rounds. Turn on the light, put the dot on the target, and keep shooting.  Call the cops if you have time.
View Quote

The BT TMP knockoff is awesome for about 8 minutes.

A CX4 is the same thing with comparably superior performance in every point, but doesn't need to be SBRed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
B&T's TP-9 (or MP-9 in select-fire) isn't a knock off. They bought all the rights to the design from Steyr. The downside to them (TMP/SPP included) is the trigger is mushy, and I don't think there's any way to improve it. They also need special cans (or might not cycle properly using adapted cans).

I vote MP5K clone, or CZ EVO. NFA for either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top