Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/15/2016 3:45:15 PM EDT
what do you like about it? Is there something else you wish you had instead?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
DBAL-D2, Everything, No.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DBAL-D2, Everything, No.  
View Quote

DBAL D2. Everything. BE Meyer's spaceship laser.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
ITAL.. somewhere.  Lost it. Really hoping I find it one of these days.

Wanted an ATPIAL but they're out of stock. About to pick up a CQBL.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
DBAL-A3, wish I went with the ATPIAL-C.

I've had issues with the battery contacts on my DBAL. While shooting it will go dead and only fix is to remove batter and put back in. Also it seems to drain batteries left in so I have to store it empty which means I don't have a laser if I grab my rifle in a hurry. I went with it because of the adjustable IR illuminator but I would take reliability over that feature any day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]

I had a look at the N-GAL ( L3 Warrior Systems size of a matchbox, not the NiViSys model ) a few days back and it looked pretty cool. If I could have a commercial laser, I think I'd go for that. I can't have one, of course, but if I could, it would be the one.

Lately, my lasers have all been experimental out-of-band systems that can't be seen with normal NV kit, and it's kind of frustrating as they work really well for what I want but just can't be seen with normal kit, so I might have to convert a few to around 850nm -

David
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Building my own PEQ-15 clone right now. Waiting on the 850nm laser module. Already fabbed up a 980nm 1W illuminator. IR only (may add selectable green laser in future), has remote switch as well as on board on/off clicky, runs off a single CR-123A. Laser point will be adjustable, and hopefully not recoil sensitive once I'm done with it.

Project total cost should hopefully be around $100
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
DBAL-A3, wish I went with the ATPIAL-C.

I've had issues with the battery contacts on my DBAL. While shooting it will go dead and only fix is to remove batter and put back in. Also it seems to drain batteries left in so I have to store it empty which means I don't have a laser if I grab my rifle in a hurry. I went with it because of the adjustable IR illuminator but I would take reliability over that feature any day.
View Quote

I have both the DBAL-A3 and ATPIAL-C and have never had any of those problems with either of them, you should get yours repaired so that it works properly with no battery drain or recoil issues.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]
1 DBAL-I2 (Green and IR laser variant). Wished it had the illuminator on it when I first bought it.
1 DBAL-D2. LOVE the amount of IR the illuminator puts out. Hated how heavy and bulky it is.
2 DBAL-A3. Absolutely perfect.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
DBAL D2 I love the multi function on it and like the brightness output but I'm not crazy about how huge it is.

Buddy has an apital C, I like it better but I got a screaming deal on my dbal
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What IR laser do you have and what do you like about it? Is there something else you wish you had instead?
View Quote

Steiner OTAL classic

Like:
QD mount.
Metal housing.
Filter comes with it that effectively gives it a high/low output.  
For a class 1 laser, it REALLY has some legs/range.  
Works on any model AR-15 since it will work around a FSB.  
Cost is on the low end at $400.

Dislike:
No button, you have to use a remote tapeswitch.  
No IR illuminator.

Is there something I wish I had instead:  yes, which is why I bought the Steiner DBAL i2.

Steiner DBAL i2 (9007 model)

Like:
QD mount.
Metal housing.
Button on housing so you don't have to use tapeswitch.
Built in IR illuminator so one button fires both IR illuminator and IR aiming laser. (or you can do laser only if you wish)
Cost is reasonable ($700) compared to some other offerings with similar features.

Dislike:
Doesn't work well for left handers unless you use a remote switch.  The button is offset to the left side, and works better for right handed shooters.
Unless you turn the switch to "off", there is parasitic battery drain.
A little on the tall side (eats up some of your FOV through your optic)
The adjustable IR illuminator doesn't increase the power as it narrows, it just narrows the FOV.  I never narrow my illuminator because it doesn't get brighter - it just reduces what I can illuminate at a given distance.

Is there something I wish I had instead:  I would like a slaved visible laser to enable me to get a faster/easier zero, but to get that feature on a different unit increases the cost a minimum of $600.  I'm ok with saving the money and taking more time to zero the gun (and having to zero at night).
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Waiting on my DBAL I2 Single Spectrum from TNVC.  It doesn't have a visible laser to aid in sight-in, so we'll see how that goes.  In the mean time, I'm borrowing a friend's ATPIAL and wondering if I should have gone with that instead (although the cost is significantly higher, almost double actually.)  

I opted out of the visible laser version initially because it seemed to cost way too much incrementally to just add a visible laser (over $400.)
DBAL I2 SS - $702
DBAL A3 - $1,116 ($414 more)
ATPIAL - $1299 ($597 more)

Unless there is some other feature or functionality that the A3 has over the i2SS (other than the laser), I don't see the value in spending that much for a visible laser.  And the ATPIAL is nearly double the cost of the I2SS Maybe if you move the laser around to different hosts a lot the visible laser makes sense to aid in sight adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
i have a DBAL A3 , it's tits.   the only issue i had with the A3 was learning what mode i was in without having to look at the unit , maybe i'm just a slow learner
i want a b.e. meyers MAWL

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Waiting on my DBAL I2 Single Spectrum from TNVC.  It doesn't have a visible laser to aid in sight-in, so we'll see how that goes.  In the mean time, I'm borrowing a friend's ATPIAL and wondering if I should have gone with that instead (although the cost is significantly higher, almost double actually.)  

I opted out of the visible laser version initially because it seemed to cost way too much incrementally to just add a visible laser (over $400.)
DBAL I2 SS - $702

Unless there is some other feature or functionality that the A3 has over the i2SS (other than the laser), I don't see the value in spending that much for a visible laser.  And the ATPIAL is nearly double the cost of the I2SS Maybe if you move the laser around to different hosts a lot the visible laser makes sense to aid in sight adjustments.
View Quote

The main value of the visible laser isn't to use it while shooting, it's to be able to check/set your zero in daylight.

After travel, just verify that your optic and vis laser line up and you're good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i have a DBAL A3 , it's tits.   the only issue i had with the A3 was learning what mode i was in without having to look at the unit , maybe i'm just a slow learner

View Quote

Where can I find the patch in your avatar?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

DBAL I2 SS - $702

View Quote

Don't sweat it.  I had the same thought process as you and am very happy with my i2 SS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it's from a company called applied orange , they're in the Netherlands.

i don't see any ir patches on their website right now.  maybe they're waiting to restock.

http://www.applied-store.nl/en/
here's what it looks like in the daytime

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the ATPIAL-C have adjustable power IR  laser output?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i don't see any ir patches on their website right now.  maybe they're waiting to restock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_3110_zpsxw5n7uig.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's badass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
what do you like about it? Is there something else you wish you had instead?
View Quote

ATPIAL (The good one ). I like how low profile it is. Functional. Combat proven.

I would LOVE a Dbal a2 (newer single selector knob). I like the QD mount and green visible laser option. Obviously it sits higher, but GL finding one in the wild.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only use two of the setting, all the way to the right for full power or laser illuminator and all the way to the right for full power visible laser
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#26]
VITAL
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No sir, but you can use the filter caps to mitigate the .7mW IR pointer.  Hope this helps.

The A3 does have an adjustable IR laser illuminator in the form of widening and tightening the beam but tightening beam does NOT increase the beam strength as their full power restricted units do.  The IR illumintors in both units are Class 3R for both the ATPIAL-C and DBAL-A3.  

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the ATPIAL-C have adjustable power IR  laser output?

No sir, but you can use the filter caps to mitigate the .7mW IR pointer.  Hope this helps.

The A3 does have an adjustable IR laser illuminator in the form of widening and tightening the beam but tightening beam does NOT increase the beam strength as their full power restricted units do.  The IR illumintors in both units are Class 3R for both the ATPIAL-C and DBAL-A3.  

Vic

I was curious about that too. It looks like the ATPIAL-C has the blue screw that blocks the would-be high power outputs like the regular ATPIAL. Does removing the screw and selecting those positions do nothing?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
VITAL
View Quote

I have one as well. Only thing I don't like is the switch system.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Building my own PEQ-15 clone right now. Waiting on the 850nm laser module. Already fabbed up a 980nm 1W illuminator. IR only (may add selectable green laser in future), has remote switch as well as on board on/off clicky, runs off a single CR-123A. Laser point will be adjustable, and hopefully not recoil sensitive once I'm done with it.

View Quote

Directions?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Right now, just so I have something......drumroll......lasermax IR laser.

It's actually not bad but it's not super sturdy and I hate that it's not water resistant.

I'd love to get an expensive one but $1000+ for something I'll barely use?!  That's going to kill me when I finally do it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We now have a B.E. Meyers MAWL in our hands that my Training Director Don has.  He is pretty impressed and it takes a lot to get him impressed.  He has a few upcoming demos and training gigs and I hope to get my hands on it next.
View Quote

I got next!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ya don't have to spend a 1000, but do take a look at the OTAL IR units we now offer at $359. There is no comparisons vs. the LM unit in regards to strength, environmental, holding zero, mount, and for not that much more $$ nowadays.

I can tell you and others I lobbied  hard with several travels up to northern Kali  pleading a lower cost OTAL line earlier this year.   There is now no reason not to own an OTAL IR laser. It's the lowest price it's ever been.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually not bad but it's not super sturdy and I hate that it's not water resistant.

I'd love to get an expensive one but $1000+ for something I'll barely use?!  That's going to kill me when I finally do it.

Ya don't have to spend a 1000, but do take a look at the OTAL IR units we now offer at $359. There is no comparisons vs. the LM unit in regards to strength, environmental, holding zero, mount, and for not that much more $$ nowadays.

I can tell you and others I lobbied  hard with several travels up to northern Kali  pleading a lower cost OTAL line earlier this year.   There is now no reason not to own an OTAL IR laser. It's the lowest price it's ever been.

I'm glad I posted now. I honestly didn't know that. Looks like that's what I'll be putting on my 10.5. Awesome. Of course I'll be ordering from you guys!  Thanks. Probably be a couple of months though since I just dropped $1500 on a suppressor and couple other items.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Directions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Directions?

Once I have the unit up and running I will post a how too. If you can solder a little bit and use a small screw driver you should be able to make this no problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
i own an ITAL on my 5.56 upper and a LaserMax LMS-UNI-IR on my 22LR upper.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can these be mounted at 12 o clock with a FSB?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. OTAL is Offset Tactical Aiming Laser.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#42]
DBAL-A3

Wish I had more LA-5s
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#43]
CQBL and wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#44]
No one have a Wilcox RAPTR Lite ES?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know people have them. I sorta want one...
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do to, was hoping to see someone mention their experience.

I truthfully want to get the one with the range finder but that is very far down the road.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm using the Steiner CQBL-1 mounted on the top of my AR.

The IR laser is the exact same power as the DBAL Civ units, so although I'm losing on the day laser side of life (it being red) I only ever use a vis laser for zeroing anyway.

The CQBL lasers are slaved, so I can use the red laser to get a solid zero, unlike the DBAL where each is seperate.

The other thing I like is the unit is compact, and the laser is somewhat centrally located over my barrel, so no more offset issues.

I've partnered it with a Steiner Mk3 light, which outperforms the onboard illuminators for my needs (CQB and 150yd max engagements  plus the Mk3 has a white light function)

The DBAL-PL would be amazing for CQB work if the buttons werent so stupidly placed and angled making it useless for rifle mounting.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the IR strobe on the back of your bucket?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one. I like it a lot. easy to zero, lots of features. Securely mounts to my rail, good functionality. All and all a good piece of gear. I am waiting for something better to give me a reason to replace it, but until then it stays.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
CQBL and wouldn't change a thing.
View Quote

Me too- with the exception of 1) swap red vis for green visible, cause why not?  and 2) a hi/low power setting for the IR.  I've got a clip on ND filter that basically always stays on it unless I am shooting past 200 yards with the laser, which is never.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top