BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the IR strobe on the back of your bucket?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have a DBAL A3 , it's tits.   the only issue i had with the A3 was learning what mode i was in without having to look at the unit , maybe i'm just a slow learner

i want a b.e. meyers MAWL        

Where can I find the patch in your avatar?
it's from a company called applied orange , they're in the Netherlands.

i don't see any ir patches on their website right now.  maybe they're waiting to restock.

http://www.applied-store.nl/en/

here's what it looks like in the daytime

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_3110_zpsxw5n7uig.jpg

Looks like HelStar 6 or a clone thereof.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have a DBAL A3 , it's tits.   the only issue i had with the A3 was learning what mode i was in without having to look at the unit , maybe i'm just a slow learner

i want a b.e. meyers MAWL        

Where can I find the patch in your avatar?
it's from a company called applied orange , they're in the Netherlands.

i don't see any ir patches on their website right now.  maybe they're waiting to restock.

http://www.applied-store.nl/en/
here's what it looks like in the daytime

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_3110_zpsxw5n7uig.jpg

it's a Core Survival Hel-Star 6 gen 3 , Model# HS-620-03

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm making my list and I'm stuck between the atpial and a cqbl with some sort of added light. Any suggestions on how to decide what I need?

I like the idea of a handheld torch pro for longer range spotting and just picking up eyes, but I'm not sure I'll be shooting too far at night. Try to keep it close to 100yds I bet. But would definitely like to be able to identify between 100 and 200 yards with what's mounted on the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ya don't have to spend a 1000, but do take a look at the OTAL IR units we now offer at $359. There is no comparisons vs. the LM unit in regards to strength, environmental, holding zero, mount, and for not that much more $$ nowadays.

I can tell you and others I lobbied  hard with several travels up to northern Kali  pleading a lower cost OTAL line earlier this year.   There is now no reason not to own an OTAL IR laser. It's the lowest price it's ever been.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right now, just so I have something......drumroll......lasermax IR laser.

It's actually not bad but it's not super sturdy and I hate that it's not water resistant.

I'd love to get an expensive one but $1000+ for something I'll barely use?!  That's going to kill me when I finally do it.

Ya don't have to spend a 1000, but do take a look at the OTAL IR units we now offer at $359. There is no comparisons vs. the LM unit in regards to strength, environmental, holding zero, mount, and for not that much more $$ nowadays.

I can tell you and others I lobbied  hard with several travels up to northern Kali  pleading a lower cost OTAL line earlier this year.   There is now no reason not to own an OTAL IR laser. It's the lowest price it's ever been.

Great job! I'm all over this............Sully
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a DBAL-I2 IR/IR and an ATPIAL-C.  Like them both for different reasons.  

Love the ATPIAL-C dual laser, makes zeroing so much easier.  Not overly impressed with the onboard illuminator.  Don't really like that you have to use a screwdriver to take the thing off the rail.  Love the different shape filters for the lasers, for no real reason than to have something other than a dot.  Really wish someone would make one that is the 3 dots from Predator.  Without the filters I get some pretty serious bloom when doing stuff in a shoothouse.  Not a big deal to flip the filter over but if I'm going from outside where I need the "full power" to inside my old brain doesn't always remember to flip the filter over until I shoulder the rifle and get all sorts of sparkles.  The tape switch plug stays in better as well.

The DBAL has a better mount in my opinion.  No vis laser makes zeroing harder, has to be done at night.  I like having the different settings for the illuminator.  The tape switch plug tends to work loose using the Surefire Dual plug.  Really wanting the TAPS.  Unit sits higher but still only in the bottom of my T1 so it is easy to ignore, especially since that is the trade off for the QD mount.  Can tuck a 300v Scout up closer on a KMR rail.  With the DBAL I can tuck it up on the 1:30/angled slots whereas with the ATPIAL-C I have to put it on the 3 position.

Overall, either will serve anyone well.  Really depends on what you want to use the things for.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for co-aligned red/ir lasers primarily, I have a surefire 952V and love it (it was cheap).  I've got several ir only lasers and I really want to step up to consolidating the accessories so that my rifle doesn't get too busy with switches/mounts/accessories/etc.

I'm leaning hard towards the CQBL-1 but I'm not opposed to an ATPIAL also... (I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of these for my rifles as i'd like continuity from one rifle to the next)
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right now, just so I have something......drumroll......lasermax IR laser.

It's actually not bad but it's not super sturdy and I hate that it's not water resistant.

I'd love to get an expensive one but $1000+ for something I'll barely use?!  That's going to kill me when I finally do it.

Are these going to be shipping anytime soon?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm looking for co-aligned red/ir lasers primarily, I have a surefire 952V and love it (it was cheap).  I've got several ir only lasers and I really want to step up to consolidating the accessories so that my rifle doesn't get too busy with switches/mounts/accessories/etc.

I'm leaning hard towards the CQBL-1 but I'm not opposed to an ATPIAL also... (I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of these for my rifles as i'd like continuity from one rifle to the next)
View Quote

I would go for the ATPIAL over the CQBL. The main reason is I like to have my IR illuminator activate at the same time as my laser and as such I like the IR illuminator built into the device.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would go for the ATPIAL over the CQBL. The main reason is I like to have my IR illuminator activate at the same time as my laser and as such I like the IR illuminator built into the device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we ever get TNVC's switch system, it will be easy to get separate IR Illum and IR Laser to activate concurrently.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If we ever get TNVC's switch system, it will be easy to get separate IR Illum and IR Laser to activate concurrently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

it takes a little bit to develop something out of thin air... I'm just sayin'.

Quoted:

I don't disagree, but when I've got my NODs on, I find myself with the laser pretty much on constantly and I just finger the illuminator when I want/need to.
plus, the ATPIAL is about double the CQBL and when you're putting them on several firearms concurrently, it's not an insignificant purchase.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Steiner/Laser Devices DBAL D2 (for rifles) and the DBAL PL for my pistols (green visible lasers in both). I am very satisfied with both and have no interest in any other models.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
DBAL I2 IR/IR (IR laser with IR laser illuminator). I love it - it's a perfect fit for me. Small profile, button in the right spot for my offhand thumb, IR laser illuminator that has plenty of capability, and low cost. I have no need for the visible laser, myself. Worked like a charm at the TNVC Nightfighter class. The remote pressure switch failed, but from the sounds of it, that's pretty much par for the course. I've transitioned to just using the onboard button anyways, which is natural with practice.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Full power DBAL A2 (red laser) and Civilian DBAL A3 (green laser)

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the ATPIAL-C. I wish it had hi/lo IR settings (that worked), and a green vis laser instead of red. I actually do not shoot with it much since I have a thermal scope, I use it mostly for designating targets to others with just NODs, or for anything that jumps out when I am walking with my PVS14 on.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#15]
CQBL-1 with a Surefire Vampire, no complaints...
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CQBL-1 with a Surefire Vampire, no complaints...
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj307/mammynun/CQBL-1/DSCF2059.jpg~original
View Quote

do you have a switch that runs both?  (i see the elastic band holding the remote plug in)
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a dbal A3  from TNVC when they first came out.

While  I love the laser it does drain the battery while in standby mode... This is crap but when I contacted Steiner I was told this was "normal"...

Not happy about it but the visible override is worth it for what I do. I think its crap and they should never had made the product with a drain function like that .
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#18]

---> do you have a switch that runs both? (i see the elastic band holding the remote plug in)<-----

I do, but I'm really hoping that the TNVC TAPS system is a better solution.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

all lasers drain batteries in standby/"off" mode.
Think Eotechs they use "lasers" for the reticle. its why Eotechs get such terrible battery life when compared to Aimpoints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While  I love the laser it does drain the battery while in standby mode... This is crap but when I contacted Steiner I was told this was "normal"...

Not happy about it but the visible override is worth it for what I do. I think its crap and they should never had made the product with a drain function like that .

Think Eotechs they use "lasers" for the reticle. its why Eotechs get such terrible battery life when compared to Aimpoints.

How can a battery be drained if there is a physical switch that is open?  (or is there not such an assembly in these devices?)

I assume my question is still within the confines of the discussion..

AND (TO TNVC)
Will the Unity Fusion CQBL-1 Rail mount work with a Surefire 952V ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

---> do you have a switch that runs both? (i see the elastic band holding the remote plug in)<-----

View Quote

You can fix your plug in under a minute with a dremel
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had an issue with battery drain on my OTAL, even when left in "momentary" mode.

My DBAL drained the battery twice, until I figured out you can eliminate the parasitic drain issue by physically rotating the output selection switch to "off".
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done that, and it works. I kept the band on 'cause why not?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've never had an issue with battery drain on my OTAL, even when left in "momentary" mode.

My DBAL drained the battery twice, until I figured out you can eliminate the parasitic drain issue by physically rotating the output selection switch to "off".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite frankly its piss poor electronic design on their (steiners) part. They shouldn't have any current flowing when a switch is not depressed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lasers require more power than an LED that's why they drain more... neither should be draining power when they are switched off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]
David, do you have a link for the N-GAL?
I went to L3 and couldn't find it.  My google-foo is weak at times though.

Quoted:
I had a look at the N-GAL
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/27/l3s-next-generation-aiming-laser/
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I need some input on what to do here. Hopefully within the next few months I'll be plunging into NV, and I'm still torn on my laser and illumination setup. I like the cqbl paired with the surefire m600v, it gives me the option to use the light as a white light and an IR light with the same setup. Then there's the dbal d2, which is all contained in a single unit, and has high and low settings. Seems like a very nice setup and would work well for my needs. However, for that money I won't have a white light option unless I throw a surefire x300u on there as well.

My uses will be around the farm, general patrolling 500+ yds and popping coyotes out to 200yds or so. Another pro for the cqbl is that it's 2 separate prices, so my gf can buy the the illuminator for me for christmas
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I need some input on what to do here. Hopefully within the next few months I'll be plunging into NV, and I'm still torn on my laser and illumination setup. I like the cqbl paired with the surefire m600v, it gives me the option to use the light as a white light and an IR light with the same setup. Then there's the dbal d2, which is all contained in a single unit, and has high and low settings. Seems like a very nice setup and would work well for my needs. However, for that money I won't have a white light option unless I throw a surefire x300u on there as well.

My uses will be around the farm, general patrolling 500+ yds and popping coyotes out to 200yds or so. Another pro for the cqbl is that it's 2 separate prices, so my gf can buy the the illuminator for me for christmas
View Quote

Having run a stand alone IR laser for 3-4 years, I'd definitely say get a unit with built in IR illuminator.  It sucks to have to press two different switches, or two different pressure pads.  Get a bright ass designated white weaponlight.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The DBAL-D2's illuminator is tits for longer ranges.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#35]
TNVC just said this

"Glad you're not using a Steiner D2 laser, that is a different and difficult animal to work with due to it's activation fire button location."

That's kind of concerning to me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as your not looking for humans it's epic for illumination. The big red orb in front from the LED illuminator is problematic to say the least. Something you need to be aware of.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As long as your not looking for humans it's epic for illumination. The big red orb in front from the LED illuminator is problematic to say the least. Something you need to be aware of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's definitely something to think about, I live on a few thousand acres and would like to be able to "patrol" if necessary. Possibly a handheld IR illuminator might be the choice for that so I'm not pointing my rifle at random people. Is the light something that coyotes will pick up on?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ok if you're lefty shooter, but not so good if you're righty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TNVC just said this

"Glad you're not using a Steiner D2 laser, that is a different and difficult animal to work with due to it's activation fire button location."

I'm a righty, and I'm also very unfamiliar of how to operate these units. What makes it difficult, compared to something like the cqbl?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm a righty, and I'm also very unfamiliar of how to operate these units. What makes it difficult, compared to something like the cqbl?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
TNVC just said this

The button is at the rear of the unit, on the port side. Makes it very easy to operate with left thumb if it is placed farther out on the rail. It also throws that much more weight towards the muzzle end of the rifle if you do that. That combined with my use of mostly Carbine length rails led me to trade off the D2.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I watched some videos of the dbal d2, the operation seems easy enough to me. Not super high speed or anything, but it looks like it has all the right options and I like the ability to manipulate the beam shape of the illuminator. Seems like it's a contender for my uses. I'm still open to hearing opinions though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I watched some videos of the dbal d2, the operation seems easy enough to me. Not super high speed or anything, but it looks like it has all the right options and I like the ability to manipulate the beam shape of the illuminator. Seems like it's a contender for my uses. I'm still open to hearing opinions though.
View Quote

What are the drawbacks for just leaving the IR laser and IR Illuminator (whether separate weapon light or built into the aiming laser assembly) on?  
Is the concern that any bad guys would have NV on as well?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What are the drawbacks for just leaving the IR laser and IR Illuminator (whether separate weapon light or built into the aiming laser assembly) on?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's reorts that animals can spook to it. It drains the battery faster. It marks your location for anyone using any gen night vision. It possibly could overheat the electronics.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's definitely something to think about, I live on a few thousand acres and would like to be able to "patrol" if necessary. Possibly a handheld IR illuminator might be the choice for that so I'm not pointing my rifle at random people. Is the light something that coyotes will pick up on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience yes. One night we took turns shining with a 800nm, 850nm, and 940nm lights at coyotes, deer, and pigs. Our impressions were this:
-800nm light was like hitting them with a qbeam spot light. Not sure if that was the light or the glowing read bezel on the light or just the conditions that night, but the yotes would spook and run, the deer would get restless and move away quick. Pigs were the same as the deer.
-850nm light was a tad less disturbing to each of the three critters. The coyotes seemed to be the most bothered by it and would leave the area pretty quick. The deer would just turn their heads a look at us, same for the pigs - slightly nervous, but never ran off.
-940nm light was the least disturbing to the critters. The yotes were nervous, deer didn't care nor did the pigs.

For hunting I am going to stick with a 940nm light. You loose a lot of distance with the 940 v/s the 800 but I think the trade off is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In my experience yes. One night we took turns shining with a 800nm, 850nm, and 940nm lights at coyotes, deer, and pigs. Our impressions were this:
-800nm light was like hitting them with a qbeam spot light. Not sure if that was the light or the glowing read bezel on the light or just the conditions that night, but the yotes would spook and run, the deer would get restless and move away quick. Pigs were the same as the deer.
-850nm light was a tad less disturbing to each of the three critters. The coyotes seemed to be the most bothered by it and would leave the area pretty quick. The deer would just turn their heads a look at us, same for the pigs - slightly nervous, but never ran off.
-940nm light was the least disturbing to the critters. The yotes were nervous, deer didn't care nor did the pigs.

For hunting I am going to stick with a 940nm light. You loose a lot of distance with the 940 v/s the 800 but I think the trade off is worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, that's some good info. But it doesn't make this any easier . The dbal d2 is only 850nm, so it could be worse, but I haven't found much in the 800nm range yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#46]
The 800nm we had was custom built for using with a gen 1 scope or a digital scope.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Man, looks like I'll wait a little bit before I decide. Seems like some pretty good options coming up. Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#49]
that DBAL A4 looks ridiculous.. (not the good one)..

they should have figured out a different way to toss 3-CR123s in there (I assume to extend battery life).
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top