Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:01:08 PM EDT
I am quite confident that I will not be storming the castle at anytime, so I don't need ballistic protection. I do not need to look like a true operator either.  But I would like to get a helmet (or at least something which could be easy used by several people) to go "hands free" with a PVS-14.

Is there any sort of decent rigs can be had for not a lot of money? I see MICH helmets out there for "airsoft" but that is often a code word for POS that will break first time it is used.  Any thing not tactically sound, but works well?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a big fan of the crye nightcap (which really isnt a helmet), but for about 150 (w/ shroud) you have a comfortable hands free option...... but usually I just use my ops core bump.... I have also heard good things about the TW exfil..... if those are too expensive, I would look into the pro-tec bravo
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ops Core Bump Helmet, you can pick them up for around $200 and they are worth every penny. Watch on EE for good deals.
http://www.ops-core.com/category.cfm?Category_ID=6&

This thread in the the NV forum will give you an idea of what people are using.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/226892_.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
With how cheap an ACH is I don't see any reason to go with a bump helmet. I picked up my MSA ACH with team Wendy zap pads, team Wendy chinstrap, cover, and NODs plate for $100
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a complete team Wendy helmet set up (including hear pro) for $600 in the EE.

Personally I think a good helmet is more stable than a Crye Night Cap (yes, I have both).

I have a TW LTP Exfil.  Very nice helmet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Weight and ventilation would be a great reason to pick a bump over an ACH.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With how cheap an ACH is I don't see any reason to go with a bump helmet. I picked up my MSA ACH with team Wendy zap pads, team Wendy chinstrap, cover, and NODs plate for $100

Weight and ventilation would be a great reason to pick a bump over an ACH.

I do see your points but if I could only afford one or the other, I'd rather have the ballistic protection. Plus the cost savings of course. I'm a broke ass mofo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was a complete team Wendy helmet set up (including hear pro) for $600 in the EE.

Personally I think a good helmet is more stable than a Crye Night Cap (yes, I have both).

I have a TW LTP Exfil.  Very nice helmet.
View Quote

+1
I started with a Crye Night Cap and while it works well, it's nowhere near as stable as my Team Wendy bump helmet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
"(or at least something which could be easy used by several people)"

Seeing that not everyone has the same size noggin, the Crye Nightcap is the only option that will.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Protec bicycle helmet with a NV plate on it

http://www.rei.com/product/894607/pro-tec-city-lite-satin-bike-helmet-2014-closeout

http://www.amazon.com/New-Original-US-ARMY-Issue/dp/B00AOCUCX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455249967&sr=8-2&keywords=nvg+helmet+mount
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an Ops Core bump.
Moving around with NV, you WILL bump sometimes.
Nearby branches and obstructions are out of focus and easy to miss.
I tape the two rows of vent holes in rainy weather.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Seeing that not everyone has the same size noggin, the Crye Nightcap is the only option that will.
View Quote

Well, the situation is, every year we take a group of college kids out into nature over spring break.

I started playing with the cascade tube thing, which got me into NV. Then I picked up a used PVS-14.  

On the trip last year, the kids freaked out getting to see what things are like with NV.  So now I am in charge of letting them see NV on the trip.  I would prefer something which could be slipped on an off by them. However, long term it would be for me.

However where I live, you can't do a lot of NV stuff unless you travel a bit, so I don't use things very much (hence the cheap part).  A helmet which is too big for them would be fine for just a short use, but I am not spending $600 on something which will be rarely used.

Thanks for all the info, I will keep my eyes out for something cheap on EE, but now I know what to look for.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, the situation is, every year we take a group of college kids out into nature over spring break.
I started playing with the cascade tube thing, which got me into NV. Then I picked up a used PVS-14.  
On the trip last year, the kids freaked out getting to see what things are like with NV.  So now I am in charge of letting them see NV on the trip.  I would prefer something which could be slipped on an off by them. However, long term it would be for me.
However where I live, you can't do a lot of NV stuff unless you travel a bit, so I don't use things very much (hence the cheap part).  A helmet which is too big for them would be fine for just a short use, but I am not spending $600 on something which will be rarely used.
Thanks for all the info, I will keep my eyes out for something cheap on EE, but now I know what to look for.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in the city w/ about a half acre and like you thought I would never use my NV but now I play outside with my dog almost every week, he loves his glow in the dark toys I've never tried that Crye night cap, it seems flimsy and as others have said you will bump your head on things, it happens as everything up close is just a blur
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The Team Wendy EXFIL SAR is a great noob helemt. Tons of adjustment, and an easy to use chin strap. Most beginners dont know how to use a CHIN strap, and end up fumbling with it near their neck. The SAR has a under the chin/close to neck strap already.  The boa closure system allows lots of different heads to fit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Team Wendy Exfil LTP, but if you want something on the cheap, look up a Protech Bravo helmet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top