Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 12:04:29 AM EDT
I have no experience with thermal imagers and very little experience with NV. Just recently started kicking around the idea of picking something up. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do generally subscribe to the 'buy once cry once' philosophy.

I'm leaning toward a monocular or something similar; I don't want it to be something I'd have mounted on a rifle. Looking more toward the thermal because I'm interested in it as a detection tool, short to medium range; a few hundred yards would be nice. First of all, is this practical? And second, how much will I be into to purchase something like this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have no experience with thermal imagers and very little experience with NV. Just recently started kicking around the idea of picking something up. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do generally subscribe to the 'buy once cry once' philosophy.

I'm leaning toward a monocular or something similar; I don't want it to be something I'd have mounted on a rifle. Looking more toward the thermal because I'm interested in it as a detection tool, short to medium range; a few hundred yards would be nice. First of all, is this practical? And second, how much will I be into to purchase something like this?
View Quote

If you already have an Android phone, I would strongly recommend this as a competitive offering. 320px with a 19mm lens for $1000 is... well... astonishing.

If you can squeeze into the $3k range, a dedicated monocular like the L3 x320 or the new Pulsar HD19s (the one I'd go with today at under $3,000) are where it's at.

I'd try to get something in 30Hz over the FLIR PS24/32 units, IMO. I had a PS24 and sold it within a month. I didn't like anything about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the look of the Android option. The website says you can spot a person at 500m or a car at 1500m. Do you think that's accurate? All of the examples they show are very close range. Still, that thing looks great.

I could swing the $3k for the moment, though I probably shouldn't. I do subscribe to the 'buy once cry once' philosophy though, so if that's really what it takes to get a solid item that does what I want, I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really like the look of the Android option. The website says you can spot a person at 500m or a car at 1500m. Do you think that's accurate? All of the examples they show are very close range. Still, that thing looks great.

I could swing the $3k for the moment, though I probably shouldn't. I do subscribe to the 'buy once cry once' philosophy though, so if that's really what it takes to get a solid item that does what I want, I'd go for it.
View Quote

19mm lens... OK, impressive - and you can change them - and even add an afocal too I guess. Anyway, no info on the FPA dimensions, but with a decent lens, and good resolution, 500m isn't unreasonable. I'm impressed...

David

Update: Calculation - 6mm wide FPA = 15 micron pitch array.

0.047 degrees/pixel.

0.057 degrees = 50cm at 500m...

So, a fat guy at 500m? Possible edge-of-detection capability, yes...  But only 250m for a skinny girl ;)

Rabbits? About 100m.

So, actually quite impressive - :)

But LWIR, so no fart detection :(

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

19mm lens... OK, impressive - and you can change them - and even add an afocal too I guess. Anyway, no info on the FPA dimensions, but with a decent lens, and good resolution, 500m isn't unreasonable. I'm impressed...

David

0.047 degrees/pixel.

So, a fat guy at 500m? Possible edge-of-detection capability, yes...  But only 250m for a skinny girl ;)

Rabbits? About 100m.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

0.047 degrees/pixel.

Rabbits? About 100m.

How about a fat chick with a chihuahua in a convertible Ford Mustang eating a Taco Bell bean burrito [with the understanding that there would be no fart detection capability]?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about a fat chick with a chihuahua in a convertible Ford Mustang eating a Taco Bell bean burrito [with the understanding that there would be no fart detection capability]?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

David

0.047 degrees/pixel.

Rabbits? About 100m.

Detection range or identification range?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

My advice, buy as big as you can so you don't have the upgrade-itis as much.

Also, try before you buy.  There are rental shops out there.

Also, also, I recommend a weapon mounted type device because they can generally work OK as a spotting device but the reverse is usually not true.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You can find deals every once in a while.

Snagged one of these for $700 a few months back.
Right place, right time.

http://www.nitevis.com/MX-1_MiniIR.htm
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right place, right time.

http://www.nitevis.com/MX-1_MiniIR_files/image007.jpg

View Quote

I had one of those and sent it back and I paid less than you. I just wasn't impressed with it. It would pause the video for half a second every 5 seconds - it was REALLY annoying.

With a 8hz refresh, how usable is this android device? Will it be choppy? I'm contemplating it. The ATN OTS-X I have far exceeded my expectations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had one of those and sent it back and I paid less than you. I just wasn't impressed with it. It would pause the video for half a second every 5 seconds - it was REALLY annoying.

With a 8hz refresh, how usable is this android device? Will it be choppy? I'm contemplating it. The ATN OTS-X I have far exceeded my expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right place, right time.

In another thread , someone who just received the Therm-app posted a video that he took with it, I'm impressed and will be ordering one once I get a cable to test and make sure I have OTG capability on my phone.

The video: http://vimeo.com/103717422

The thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/429692_New_FLIR_ONE_Photos_and_Reviews__Image_HEAVY_.html&page=3#i4108235
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone use the L3 x320?  Opinions on it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In another thread , someone who just received the Therm-app posted a video that he took with it, I'm impressed and will be ordering one once I get a cable to test and make sure I have OTG capability on my phone.

The thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/429692_New_FLIR_ONE_Photos_and_Reviews__Image_HEAVY_.html&page=3#i4108235
View Quote

He has FOUR videos up using the Therm-App on his Vimeo page. I just can't see how that's 8Hz! Look at the traffic, then look at the water spouting out behind the boat. It *looks* like 30Hz, or maybe 24Hz.

I don't know how you can make 8Hz look that smooth.

Regardless, if those images are what I should expect to get, I'll be a VERY VERY VERY happy camper!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I looked at the operator's manual for the therm-app and it says it's a non-sealed unit, and to keep away from dust and water.  Based on that, I wonder how it would hold up to field use..

Page 3.. "? The Therm-App device is not sealed. Do not expose the Therm-App device to water, rain or dust."
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Anyone use the L3 x320?  Opinions on it?
View Quote

I have one borrowed right now and was really impressed with it. For just detecting it works great. I can spot cows at 800 yards easy. Important to note that doesn't mean identify. Main benefits to the etoech is it automatically calibrates when turned on, manual focus, and is light weight and handy. If you just want something for detecting this is a great unit. Main draw back for me is the small display screen and sometimes the unit has a pause in which I believe it is processing. I am also hearing good things from the Pulsar HD19s.

I have a thor 336 weapon sight rented from UNV currently. This unit can definitely serve as handheld unit also. Basically you need a handheld unit and a weapons sight . Then at least 5 more thermal units. I thought the NV bug was bad .

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I looked at the operator's manual for the therm-app and it says it's a non-sealed unit, and to keep away from dust and water.  Based on that, I wonder how it would hold up to field use..

Page 3.. "? The Therm-App device is not sealed. Do not expose the Therm-App device to water, rain or dust."
View Quote

No, it connects via USB CABLE to your Android phone, so there's no way it's designed for rugged use. This is a good-weather-only device (or needs protection from the elements, like a clear Ziploc bag or something, since thermal is not deterred by the material.) Also, since it uses the Smartphone screen that makes it very difficult to use clandestinely, as the light wash will likely be significant. I'm sure there are ingenious ways to limit both those potential problems, but you'll have to deal with them just the same.

But, for $1,000....  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Horta I agree...no way that's 8 hz.  I won't believe it till u get yours but if its really that good I'm getting one.

Quoted:

He has FOUR videos up using the Therm-App on his Vimeo page. I just can't see how that's 8Hz! Look at the traffic, then look at the water spouting out behind the boat. It *looks* like 30Hz, or maybe 24Hz.

Regardless, if those images are what I should expect to get, I'll be a VERY VERY VERY happy camper!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#18]
The phone attachments are the latest and greatest version of thermal technology.

I would recommend you wait on that style for awhile to see what durability is like both for the lens, adapters, etc...

A lot of the excitement surrounding this style of gear is due to it's novelty and not so much its proven use under field conditions.  Had you asked this question last year you'd be getting some solid leads on monoculars and only monoculars.

I am all in on the Pulsar Quantum HD's' series (the HD is their 30 Hz).  It isn't submersible or waterproof but it has all the features to make it useful for general to moderate use for years to come. This is based on the previous versions before the 's' versions that have a solid reliability record and are still giving good service.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread in a couple of years with full knowledge then of how these Therm-apps and FLIR Ones hold up in the field.

HTXH

Edit:  And yes I realize for the cost, that you can buy and replace phone thermals fhree to four times before you equal the cost of a single monocular.   But factor in when it is going to fail.... Is it going to ruin a hunt of a lifetime when you need it most? When you hand it to your buddy in the stand and he drops it 15 feet to the ground is that going to be okay?  I like the KISS concept, turn on thermal point to area and detect and id - no frills for my thermal monocular choice.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I just saw all 4 of those videos. No need to wait for your review, I'll probably have one ordered before the weekend is over. Have you heard anything new regarding your shipment status?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I just saw all 4 of those videos. No need to wait for your review, I'll probably have one ordered before the weekend is over. Have you heard anything new regarding your shipment status?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, only that it will be sometime next week. There's a 1-2 week backlog, according to the email reply I received asking for tracking.

Same thing with Team Wendy. I paid for overnight shipping on the TW Ballistic I ordered, only to see that there's roughly a 12-day delay between order and ship on them.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Guess you had not heard these already shipped to us. I thought we got these in or they were arriving any day now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, only that it will be sometime next week. There's a 1-2 week backlog, according to the email reply I received asking for tracking.

Same thing with Team Wendy. I paid for overnight shipping on the TW Ballistic I ordered, only to see that there's roughly a 12-day delay between order and ship on them.

Guess you had not heard these already shipped to us. I thought we got these in or they were arriving any day now.

Would prefer to get from you (of course) but they weren't available for order on your site, so I figured TW was trying to cash in before the sent them to resellers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Right place, right time.

View Quote

Interesting.  Where you get that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right place, right time.

Craigslist, guy was strapped for cash bad. Wanted 9 for it.
Waved 7 bills in front of his face and he took it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

If your budget is modest -- say, in the $40,000 - $50,000 range -- you should be able to pick up a quality monocular, a quality weapon-mounted thermal scope, and a remote pan/tilt unit for your vehicle.

Anything less just isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the replies guys. Lots to look into.

I really like the look of that ThermApp, but I am a little concerned about it's longevity and as was said the fact that you end up with the bright light of the screen in front of you.

With the Pulsar HD19 for example, from how far away can I reasonably expect to be able to ID a 4-legged or 2-legged critter?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I really like the look of that ThermApp, but I am a little concerned about it's longevity and as was said the fact that you end up with the bright light of the screen in front of you.

With the Pulsar HD19 for example, from how far away can I reasonably expect to be able to ID a 4-legged or 2-legged critter?
View Quote

100 yards
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

100 yards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 yards

Is he asking at what point you'll be able to clearly *distinguish* between 2/4 legged critters? Because that's considerably farther than 100 yards.

Sure, actually ID'ing between a fox and a raccoon might be 100 yards.

Depends upon what he was asking, I guess. Can OP clarify?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is he asking at what point you'll be able to clearly *distinguish* between 2/4 legged critters? Because that's considerably farther than 100 yards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 yards

"Distinguish" would have been a better word. I guess I'm just wondering if at say 200-300 yards, will I be able to spot a person and know that it's a person and not something else.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"Distinguish" would have been a better word. I guess I'm just wondering if at say 200-300 yards, will I be able to spot a person and know that it's a person and not something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 yards

Absolutely. 300 yards, no problem. Unless it's a small kid or something, but a grown adult versus a dog should be no problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Absolutely. 300 yards, no problem. Unless it's a small kid or something, but a grown adult versus a dog should be no problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 yards

Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Another stupid question... NVGs wear out, or at least the earlier generations did. Don't know about the most recent tech? Anyway, do thermal imagers eventually go bad with use? Or with proper care can I expect an investment in one of these to work well into the future?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Another stupid question... NVGs wear out, or at least the earlier generations did. Don't know about the most recent tech? Anyway, do thermal imagers eventually go bad with use? Or with proper care can I expect an investment in one of these to work well into the future?
View Quote

Reasonable, proper care should give you many years of faithful service. I don't know about others, but FLIR gives a TEN (10) YEAR warranty on their sensors. The latest Gen 3 tubes in i^2 should last 10,000+ hours of power-on life. Many here are still using early Gen 3 NODs from the 90's.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are solid state so very reliable.  FLIR offers a 10 year factory warranty on their detectors if that is any indication.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Technological obsolescence is likely a greater consideration than "wearing out" as far as thermal imaging systems are concerned, and they are assets with rapid depreciation not investments, same as with most modern electronics.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks again for the replies.

I'm leaning pretty heavily toward picking up a Therm-App right now. I don't need it for hunting, mainly for kicks, critter detection (2 and 4 legged), and potential unknown future uses.

I do kind of hate to go halfway and then want to buy something more expensive later. But based on the Therm-App review thread, I think I'll like this thing. Hypothetically, let's say I was willing to spend up to $3k. Would going with a Therm-App be a mistake? I'm thinking I can get the Therm-App now, and if prices continue downward maybe get a thermal sight down the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top