Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2016 10:58:34 PM EDT
I'll be picking up a CZ 455 American shortly.
Can anyone please recommend an optic set-up?
I'll be shooting 50-100 yards, but once in a while I'd like to be able to use it at 10-20 yards as well. (Not sure if that's just wishful thinking)

Can someone recommend an optic, and a ring set-up?
Can I run a Geiselle mount? Should I?

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm a bit obvious when it comes to magnified optics, have only experience with aimpoints.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Weaver RV-9 rimfire scope on mine and it's about perfect for that rifle. Parallax adjusts down to 10 yards, light, compact, and great glass. It's from their Classic line, so it's the same Japanese glass as all the other Classic line and T Series scopes they make.. I think mine's in Warne CZ rimfire rings. The scope is awesome in that application. The whole package makes a fine light weight .22 for walking around with.

I looked at the similar Leupold scope, I think it's a vx2, and it was no better than the Weaver for a good bit more jack.

There are a lot of folks that like the Nikon ProStaff rimfire scopes, but they seemed cheaply made to me next to the Weaver.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Well it depends what you want to do with your American rifle.  

If all you want to do is .22 precision range work then I'd say get a big scope. 6-24 variable

If you want to carry this rifle in the woods in the fall and shoot squirrels and such then I'd stay down lower; fixed 4x, a low variable 1.5-5x, or a 2-7x, or 3-9x.  

Want to do both, a bit of range precision and still hunt small game?  a 3-12x or a 4-16x.   The exit pupil on less expensive scopes on these get small and you sometimes have issues finding the sweet spot for your eye.  More so with the 6-24x.

For the CZ's I've settled on Warne 77/22 rings.  I fricken love them on them.  CZ's have a bit of an odd cut on their grooved tops and the Warne's fit well.  Some rings do fit and some not well or cant the whole ring and look sloppy.  Some brand's blunt nosed engagement clamps don't grab the groove as securely as I'd like.  

My CZ's all wear scopes that I had in the closet off other guns, my full stock has a leopold vari X III 1.5-5x and suits the gun well.  My CZ varmint has a Nikon 4-12x
that was on old deer rifle I had but that scope is touchy on the eye relief.  My CZ scout is still irons and killed a grey fox last week that had one of my laying hens in it's mouth.

If I was looking to buy I'd look at Weaver, their quality is much improved since the 80's when I first looked at them (so has their price too).   A gently used Leupold or Nikon in a gunshop counter case might be the smart choice.  I wouldn't buy used scopes online, only when you can handle them is safer.  

I'm assuming you're trying to not overspend.

ETA- go browse over on rimfire central in their CZ section.   Look at their sticky posts on rings and scope fits on Cz's.  You will find lots has been done before.

I have Geiselle triggers but not any of their mounts.  Unless something has changed all you have on the top is the groove so you'll need an adapter of some sort to get you to a picatinny type.  There are a handful out there for the CZ's.  You'll them all on the rimfire central cz sticky posts.  I do not have any of those.  My warne's are QD 77/22's with a lever and fit the groove top.  I didn't go the adaptor or rail route and desired to keep my scope as low as the bolt handle will allow.  In fact that's the touchiest part of mounting any rimfire scope in my book, most .22's have the small receiver so the bolt handles are much close to the normal scope line in general.   This forces a guy to either live with a finger tip touch on the bolt handle while working or jacking your scope up high which is fine if you have a giant melon like my BIL.  I'd rather finger tip the bolt than live with my scope up high and no cheek weld on the stock.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked at the similar Leupold scope, I think it's a vx2, and it was no better than the Weaver for a good bit more jack.
View Quote

As someone who's owned both, I can say for a fact that is a load of BS.

The Weaver Classic RV-9 is a decent scope for the money but the Leupold VX-2 Rimfire 3-9x33mm EFR has significantly better glass (Clearer, brighter) and overall a higher quality feel. Is the Leupold worth more then the Weaver? Absolutely IMO but does that mean you should spend the extra money? Well that depends?

The OP is buying a 455 which tells me he appreciates quality because there are lower cost 22 bolt guns out there that functionally perform just as well. That tells me he's probably the type who will appreciate a great optic even if it is more expensive then the other options out there? If however he's more of a value oriented "good enough" type buyer, the Weaver is a good scope that is definitely "good enough" for someone that doesn't want to spend the money on Leupold.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Weaver Classic RV-9 is a decent scope for the money but the Leupold VX-2 Rimfire 3-9x33mm EFR has significantly better glass (Clearer, brighter) and overall a higher quality feel. Is the Leupold worth more then the Weaver? Absolutely IMO but does that mean you should spend the extra money? Well that depends?

The OP is buying a 455 which tells me he appreciates quality because there are lower cost 22 bolt guns out there that functionally perform just as well. That tells me he's probably the type who will appreciate a great optic even if it is more expensive then the other options out there? If however he's more of a value oriented "good enough" type buyer, the Weaver is a good scope that is definitely "good enough" for someone that doesn't want to spend the money on Leupold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, money isn't an issue.
I'll pick up a VX-2, can someone recommend rings for me?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Leupold rimfire 11mm medium rings are just about perfect for the CZ rail and 33mm objective of the VX-2 EFR scope but they only come in Gloss for some reason?

I also like the JP Products CZ 11mm to weaver adapters with Burris Signature Z rings (medium). I use that setup on my 452 American but that one has a larger scope (VX-2 6-18x40mm).

Burris also makes their Signature rings in a rimfire style (dovetail mount) if you don't want to deal with adapters

Here is a thread that will show you just about all of the possible combo's... CZ Scope and Rings Reference
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Leupold rimfire 11mm medium rings are just about perfect for the CZ rail and 33mm objective of the VX-2 EFR scope but they only come in Gloss for some reason?

I also like the JP Products CZ 11mm to weaver adapters with Burris Signature Z rings (medium). I use that setup on my 452 American but that one has a larger scope (VX-2 6-18x40mm).

Burris also makes their Signature rings in a rimfire style (dovetail mount) if you don't want to deal with adapters

Here is a thread that will show you just about all of the possible combo's... CZ Scope and Rings Reference
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the way, I was meaning to ask.
Will the VX-2 be adequate to pop things at 10 and 50 yards?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
By the way, I was meaning to ask.
Will the VX-2 be adequate to pop things at 10 and 50 yards?
View Quote

Yes, the "EFR" in its name stands for "Extended Focus Range" because it can focus down to 10yrds. Matter of fact, 10-50yrds is where this scope shines.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Some good info here:

I have the J and P adapters with the Burris Signature Zee rings mentioned, with a Leupold 4x12 AO scope...

I may check out the DIP or EGW base, as I would like to move my scope a bit more forward...

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your help guys.
I picked up a CZ 455 American with a walnut stock, a threaded 16" barrel and a Leupold VX-2 EFR rim fire glass.
I'll post pics when it's all together, hopefully next week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
At the moment the VX-2 series scopes are pretty much the best bang for the buck available.

The optical system is essentially the same as the prior VX-III series and they also use the same  finger adjustable 1/4 MOA turrets.

I have a VX-2 3-9x33 EFR on one of my long range rim fires but I use the regular VX-2 3-9x40mm.

Given that I shoot at 100-250 yard most of the time the parallax is better suited on the 3-9x40mm, and for short range shots in the 10-15 yard range, it will still focus adequately on 3x.  9x - not so much, but 3x still works fine, and the parallax error at that very short range is not nearly as bad as it is at 9x.

Where the EFR is necessary is if you want to shoot at close range, and shoot at close range at high magnification due to the parallax adjustment (it's not just focus adjustment) that comes on the EFR model.

Unless you've got that specific need, the 3-9x40 has a bit more light gathering ability and has IMHO, slightly better optics in some situations.  For example, I can spot bullet swirl on long shots slightly better in the 3-9x40 than I can in the 3-9x33.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
You will be very happy with the Leupold.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You will be very happy with the Leupold.
View Quote

I received my VX-2 EFR, so far really impressed with the clarity of the optic.
It's my first magnified optic of any kind.

Looking forward to mounting it to my CZ 455 American this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#13]
It's alive!
I got rings based on a recommendation on rimfirecentral - but jesus christ were they tight.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool deal. Great setup! I think your are going to really like it!

Did you buy a factory threaded barrel or have your original barrel cut and threaded? Done anything with the trigger yet? Shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool deal. Great setup! I think your are going to really like it!

Did you buy a factory threaded barrel or have your original barrel cut and threaded? Done anything with the trigger yet? Shoot it yet?
View Quote

Originally I was looking for a 452 with a threaded 16" barrel, but they're impossible to find now.
Then I found out the CZ 455 with turkish maple stock isn't offered with a threaded 16" barrel.
So I put the entire idea on the back burner.
Then out of no where I found a member on here selling a brand-new factory 16.5" threaded barrel off the CZ 455 tactical -
Bought it, then got the rifle and glass.

Nothing with the trigger, I actually like it -
I thought it was going to be a lot heavier than it is.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it, I work a lot - I'll be taking it out on August 7th (my day off).

Again, thank you for all your help.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top