Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:39:11 AM EDT
I picked up a Ruger American Rimfire, and I really like the rifle.  I was shooting it this weekend with a SilencerCo Sparrow and the combo is really awesome.  The temperature was in the low to mid 90's with a good breeze.

I've got a very limited stock of standard velocity ammo, a pack and half of Wolf 40gr and some Eley Sport.

The Wolf was super quiet, basically I'd pull the trigger, hear the action fall and then hear it hit the target. However when I shot the Eley Sport it sounded like it actually went supersonic out of the rifle.  I'd shoot and hear the same snap that I got out of the Federal AutoMatch ammo I was shooting.

Is there specific ammo I should be looking for that will stay subsonic in a rifle?  Was it just the temp that made the Eley Sport go supersonic?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
CCI standard velocity should stay subsonic out of most barrels unless it's really cold out. Otherwise, just go with CCI subsonics.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Gemtech
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gemtech
View Quote

+1 and it is also designed to be "cleaner" for use with cans
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
CCI Standard Velocity, Gemtech or American Eagle Suppressor are all around that upper 900, lower 1000 fps range.

CCI Quiet (~700 fps) is also fun out of a bolt gun with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CCI standard velocity should stay subsonic out of most barrels unless it's really cold out. Otherwise, just go with CCI subsonics.
View Quote

CCI SV is my ammo of choice these days. I was shooting my RAR & Sparrow yesterday in my backyard. The bullet hitting the log 50 yards away was the loudest sound.

My daughter was inside the house, and when I asked if she heard any shooting, the answer was no.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
CCI HP subs are my quiet varmint popper of choice.
American Eagle Suppressor Subsonic is clean and ok on accuracy.
Gemtech subs are also great.
Walmart carries Remington subs, on occasion, I've had decent luck with them.

CCI SV is very accurate, but I've had it go supersonic out of an 18" TacSol barrel on chilly days before.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
CCI quiet is stupid silly quiet out of my 18" barrel Savage and Form 1 can.  Like you hear the firing pin click and the target ding and not much else.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Eley Sport is rated at 1161 fps at the muzzle. Eley describes it as a hunting round.  Eley Club and Match should be subsonic. If you don't need that level of accuracy, CCI SV should be the best bargain around for a quality round.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
So far the only standard velocity ammo to give me problems is magtech.  It was very inconsistent going sub or sonic.

Ive used cci standard, gemtech and remington without problems.  Remington was the less accurate.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
This! CCI Standard Velocity is running at 1070 FPS and Sub sonic at 1050. Both have the the same POI at 100 for me but the hollow point of the sub sonic hits with more energy IF you can find CCI sub sonics at all.
I have both a TacSol 22 with 16" Barrel and a RAR with 18" Barrel and through my Tac65 can neither one cracks and I'm at 5200 feet of elevation.

Quoted:

CCI SV is my ammo of choice these days. I was shooting my RAR & Sparrow yesterday in my backyard. The bullet hitting the log 50 yards away was the loudest sound.

My daughter was inside the house, and when I asked if she heard any shooting, the answer was no.

Have fun,
Bob S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  CCI is my go-to ammo
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It looks like the Eley Club is the same as the US Eley Sport that was discontinued.

Muzzle velocity is supposed to be 1085 fps.

I've got some CCI SV on order and I'll try it next time I go to the range.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The CCI Quite ammo is almost as good as having a can on your rifle, but with our all of the paper work.  I have been shooting it a fair amount at my home range and as had already been said, I can hear the firing pin hit and the bullet hit my target at 50 yards.  I am shooting an older model 77/22, which is just fine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I picked up a Ruger American Rimfire, and I really like the rifle.  I was shooting it this weekend with a SilencerCo Sparrow and the combo is really awesome.  The temperature was in the low to mid 90's with a good breeze.

I've got a very limited stock of standard velocity ammo, a pack and half of Wolf 40gr and some Eley Sport.

The Wolf was super quiet, basically I'd pull the trigger, hear the action fall and then hear it hit the target. However when I shot the Eley Sport it sounded like it actually went supersonic out of the rifle.  I'd shoot and hear the same snap that I got out of the Federal AutoMatch ammo I was shooting.

Is there specific ammo I should be looking for that will stay subsonic in a rifle?  Was it just the temp that made the Eley Sport go supersonic?
View Quote

I have found Winchester Dynapoint stays subsonic in rifle length barrels. Here is my first look at this in a 16.5" barrel. The second video looked at in it the Ruger with chrono  measurements, and it performs as well in that gun with a suppressor.
mbell556
https://youtu.be/2ZJHvCgLFZo

https://youtu.be/kLNC2TVFMxk
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried the Eley Sport again today, and it sounded no different than the Wolf that I was shooting.

Not sure what was happening that day that caused it pop like that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Try Norma TAC-22.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Winchester Dynapoint has been my favorite for years. Cycles, is reasonably accurate, and quiet in all my 10-22's and Mk II's. But I haven't been able to find it for a long time now.

CCI Standard Velocity is my second choice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Most .22 ammo reaches terminal velocity between 14-18" and in fact can slow down slightly when fired out of an 18" or longer barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
CCI Standard Velocity, Gemtech or American Eagle Suppressor are all around that upper 900, lower 1000 fps range.

CCI Quiet (~700 fps) is also fun out of a bolt gun with a suppressor.

View Quote

How does Gemtech compare to CCI Standard as fas as POI? I shoot CCI standards and was curious about the Gemtech.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top