Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 3:57:25 PM EDT
I have a ruger 10/22 that i havent done anything with and ive had it alittle over a year now. I'm on a school shooting team, no scopes or optics are allowed the way we shoot irons sights only. I'm wanting to do a build for it, I'm looking at starting with a trigger assembly upgrade. I'm trying to lighten up my gun and have a sleek looking one also. I shoot this gun at least once a week if not more and by no means is my gun babied. I'm looking for suggestions to do upgrades on it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do you want to spend?  The sky's the limit.

I installed a Volquartson hammer and polished a couple trigger parts based on some youtube videos.

Not expensive, not much work and the result was a much better trigger.

There's a guy named que on rim fire central who does bolt work.

Google que ruger 10/22.

He has an excellent reputation.

If you have sufficient funds Kidd triggers are highly regarded.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Go Kidd or go home
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go Kidd or go home
View Quote

Ditto this x 10
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
as commented, a good drop in hammer is the first recommendation....I built my 10/22 for Chevy STC over a period of 4 years or so... if an aftermarket barrel is not to be used, consider having the chamber shortened and re cut, with the shoulder moved forward to accommodate if necessary... I encountered some first shot flyers that were traced to a firing pin that had too much vertical movement... once that was fixed it would consistently shoot less than MOA groups with non match high velocity Win SuperX in a fluted Clark barrel, double lugged and bedded
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Tech sights or Nodak Spud are a huge upgrade to the shootability of a 10/22.

A drop in hammer and sear kit is a great way to drop your trigger pull without the craziness I like to do.

Kidd makes the best trigger groups if you want to spend the money.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a full kidd build and I don't think I could be more happy, especially with the trigger
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.coolguyguns.com/10-22-KIDD-TRIGGERS_c_7.html

Pick anyone you want. You cannot go wrong.

The drop in kit isn't much money and is vastly better than the factory trigger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
KIDD
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Hold on here for a minute.

Tell us more about this school shooting team.

Unless it is a run and gun type competition (they still call that chevy challenge?) You will not be welcome with a semi auto.

Most competition in smallbore is absolutely bolt action single shot .

I have built some borderline crazy 10/22's and they are a blast but even the mid grade bolt guns will outshoot them.

To gather all the top grade 10/22 parts for a really top grade gun will be about nearly the same cost as a top grade competition bolt gun (Anshutz or similar)
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a shooting event 50 yards 5 shots prone, sitting, kneeling, then standing.
Ive shot a 10/22 since ive started. This isnt a super serious event, its hosted by NC Wildlife for "hunters". The fundamentals is to teach the proper use and handling of guns and teaching hunting. Its considered a sport at my school but its set up more like a club. No one is serious about it only a few are. I use this rifle in this event but its also pretty much an everyday use gun to go mess around shooting or fir practice. I use the gun alot and want to change out items because they are starting to become worn but Im in no hurry to get the new items for it.
Im just looking at recommendations on what to get because this will be my first 10/22 build.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
The first thing I did to mine was install a Volquartson hammer. That reduced the trigger pull from around 6.5lb to 3lb. (using an electronic fish scale to measure the pull weight)

I put a shim (just a cut to fit match book cover) between the stock and lug. This free floated the barrel.
Also installed a Volquartson buffer to smooth out the action.

[/URL]

Found a walnut stock at a gunshow for $25. Filed it down to thin the grip area and remove the barrel band step. Used BLO to refinish it.

[/URL]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top