Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2014 8:47:25 AM EDT
I am begging to research youth single shot .22's for my soon to be 8 y/o boys.  Right now I am looking at the Savage Rascal & the Marlin XT-22.  I'm reading varied opinions about the cocking levers on some the youth guns.  Any experiences you'd like to share ?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
bought my Daughter the Savage Rascal with the accu trigger when she was 4 yrs old, she is now 11 and still shoots it.
Great lil bolt action to start anyone out.....
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The Rascal is great, have had a few others like the Cricket/Chipmunks and the Rascal has many features I like better like the spring loaded feed ramp, cock on opening, the safety, great trigger
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Chipmunk for what I "thought" was my last son, it worked out real well.  When he outgrew it, we traded it for something else.  Now I have another son that is 6.  I bought him the Henry mini-bolt youth rifle.  I really like it, altho' it is more $'s than the other ones you've mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
CZ Scout.

Single round adapter and 5,10 round mags.

Can be a bit heavy for smaller kids.

I just make sure my daughter shoots from a rest.

A full size stock can be put on later. I fit my daughters even with my ape arms.

They are laser accurate.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My son started with a Henry lever action youth model. Fun rifle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my daughter a Cricket for her 4th birthday, and while it has worked out ok, next time I will get something else.

Savage Rascal
Remington 514 Y
Mossberg Half-Pint with 1rd mag block and also 10rd mags.

The Cricket is ok, but it is a pain to get a round into the chamber, even more so after adding a scope. The bolt is made out of crappy pot metal and the kids have a hard time getting the extracted shell to clear the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
My son is now 8 and started when he was 5.   He has a Henry single shot bolt action youth rifle.   He shoots it open sights and it does come with fiber optic sights so he can clearly line them up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Got mu grandson a TC Contender and a custom stock. Not the cheapest option but he can get a full size stock when he gets bigger and it came with a 44 mag handgun barrel so he has a rifle and a handgun already. He can add barrels as he sees fit when he gets older as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought my daughter a Cricket for her 4th birthday, and while it has worked out ok, next time I will get something else.

Savage Rascal
Remington 514 YMossberg Half-Pint with 1rd mag block and also 10rd mags.

The Cricket is ok, but it is a pain to get a round into the chamber, even more so after adding a scope. The bolt is made out of crappy pot metal and the kids have a hard time getting the extracted shell to clear the receiver.
View Quote

See bold above.  I grew up with a Remington 514.  I'm 64 years old.  My dad got me a used one when I was 12.  Still have that rifle.  I learned most of my basic marksmanship ship skills with that little rifle.  I still have it and am in the process of refinishing it and sprucing it up a little bit for my 9 year old grand daughter.  It has Weaver bases (added later) but she, like me, will begin by learning basic gun safety and learning to use the iron sights, first before a scope goes on it.  

You don't have to go cheap, but you don't have to spend a lot of money.  Pick up a used single shot "real" 22LR rifle and teach the next generation how to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the suggestions, I never knew so many manufactures made these single shots & similar youth size guns... And I don't mind spending a few $$ on a decent gun.  Problem is now finding a place to see them live without having to drive all over creation.  I need a gun show !
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Buddy of mine got a Ruger American compact. May not quite be what you are looking for, but it takes 10/22 mags and they can grow into it. Shoots lights out too. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
bought my Daughter the Savage Rascal with the accu trigger when she was 4 yrs old, she is now 11 and still shoots it.
Great lil bolt action to start anyone out.....
View Quote

+1 Awsome gun. Bought a Cricket for my daughter, to much plastic and a little overboard on the saftey. Plus, Hard to load. Bought my 5 yo son a savage rascal, has a feed ramp, accutrigger, its light. Love it. Will buy a rascal for my other daughter, if they have a pink or purple stock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the Savage Rascal. It's the best rifle for a young child, bar none, IMNSHO. The AccuTrigger, good sights, and easy loading make it the best choice.

My almost-10 year old daughter likes hers a lot. I got her the LH version because she's left eye dominant. She had a ball blasting away at spinners and gongs yesterday with it at my club's youth shoot.

One thing I noticed with her Rascal and my Savage Mark II GL is that their bolt actions seem to have tight chambers (but that contributes to their excellent accuracy). Keep a Boresnake or some other means of cleaning the chamber in your range bag. Once her rifle's chamber got gunked up by the waxy lube on the Federal Automatch she was shooting, she started have extracting issues. A couple passes with the Boresnake fixed that right up.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Savage Rascal all the way.  My 7 year old loves his.  Put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it so he could hit well and gave fun.  Didnt want to turn him off by making it too tough too early. Got mine at Big5 for 130 or so.  Free float barrel and accutrigger are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the Rascal.

I heard there was going to be a adult sized stock made for it but I don't know if it was ever made or not.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Rascal.

I heard there was going to be a adult sized stock made for it but I don't know if it was ever made or not.
View Quote

Eh, who needs an adult size stock? I can shoot my son's pretty well with the normal stock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Of all the youth rifles I've seen, the Savage Rascal seems like a really well designed gun.  It's got a rear peep sight and an Accutrigger, which addresses two issues that hinder young shooters- bad sights and heavy triggers.

It is small though.  It would be great if Savage came out with a kit to lengthen it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Of all the youth rifles I've seen, the Savage Rascal seems like a really well designed gun.  It's got a rear peep sight and an Accutrigger, which addresses two issues that hinder young shooters- bad sights and heavy triggers.

It is small though.  It would be great if Savage came out with a kit to lengthen it.
View Quote

Granted I'm on the short side at 5'6", but I'm able to shoot my daughter's Rascal OK. The stock could always be lengthened with a slip-on pad.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine got a Ruger American compact. May not quite be what you are looking for, but it takes 10/22 mags and they can grow into it. Shoots lights out too. Just a thought.
View Quote

Wasn't what I was originally thinking of, BUT after seeing a Savage rascal tonight I'm thinking I need to look into the Ruger compact.  I was not crazy about the overall feel of the Rascal and was a bit disappointed in the sights.  I think I'd rather have some they will grow into, rather than grow out of...time to track one down now to feel it out.....anyone know if they are going to make it in stainless ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my daughter a CZ Scout, great gun.(She just graduated HS). This would be my first choice. The Rascal looks interesting and would probably my second choice.

The boy wanted a Cricket, he got one, but it was a waste of resources.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought I would add to this discussion, as I saw one of these in my LGS.
Chiappa Badger

Can anyone provide insight on it?  I know it does have threaded barrel, so that is a plus for me.  Ghost ring sight, and folds in half.... fwiw.  It was priced at $169
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Chiappa Badger

Can anyone provide insight on it?  I know it does have threaded barrel, so that is a plus for me.  Ghost ring sight, and folds in half.... fwiw.  It was priced at $169
View Quote

Big thread on that rifle here:

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Rascal.  Light, compact and nice trigger.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chiappa Badger

Big thread on that rifle here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/667652_Chiappa_Little_Badger_22LR_____Pic_Heavy_.html

Thx
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wasn't what I was originally thinking of, BUT after seeing a Savage rascal tonight I'm thinking I need to look into the Ruger compact.  I was not crazy about the overall feel of the Rascal and was a bit disappointed in the sights.  I think I'd rather have some they will grow into, rather than grow out of...time to track one down now to feel it out.....anyone know if they are going to make it in stainless ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I ended up with the Ruger American Compact .22.  I broke it in this weekend and it was dead on with the iron sights.  Nice feel to the gun, well balanced.  The only complaint would be the bolt was a little tight going back in, looks like the stock could have been trimmed a bit more.  Other than that I look forward to giving to my boys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm trying to decide myself. I have a five year old grandson. He's  going to get either a Ruger American compact or a CZ Scout.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll say get the cricket also.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Unless you need the extra small size of the Cricket/Chipmonk (for a 4/5 year old) the Ruger American Rimfire or CZ Scout are more solid than the others.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Unless you need the extra small size of the Cricket/Chipmonk (for a 4/5 year old) the Ruger American Rimfire or CZ Scout are more solid than the others.
View Quote

Agreed, after I held the Cricket I did not like the feel, too flimsy feeling for me, the Ruger was very solid indeed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#30]
The value of an exposed hammer that you can see is huge when teaching kids.  
I would looknfor a good quality pump or lever gun  with an exposed hammer, that way I can see
From 20 feet away if its cocked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top