Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 6
Author
Posted: 8/21/2013 7:51:38 PM
Little Badger 22 survival rifle...

I noticed that there is not a lot of detailed photos or information on this little rifle yet... I haven't had mine long enough to do a true review but I figured I would share my initial impressions of the little guy.

A few bullet points/ thoughts...
Decent fit and finish... Not Colt or Kimber but perfectly serviceable for what it is. On par with say a Rossi matched pair.
Solid simple construction... About as basic/ utilitarian as you can get, which IMO is perfect for this type of rifle.
Sights seem solid, but are plastic construction.
Very simple total dis-assembly and re-assembly if you are competent with firearm mechanics.
Seems to be very accurate with the "iron" sights.
Very compact.
Believe it or not very good ergonomics... It handles very well for what it is and is pretty comfortable to shoot!
Spec weight seems pretty heavy but it does not handle as such.
Primary extraction, shell does not eject on its own.
Spare round holder does not hold rounds very well without a little modifications, fortunately a ranger band or chunk of bicycle inner tube fixes that.

Now for the pictures...

Four rifles total... for comparison purposes. All of them in condition "carry."

Out of their nylon cases...

Ready to go...

Lets throw all the parts in a pile and put them back away...

Putting them all back to condition "carry."

Nice little case that badger comes with...

Another for size comparisons purposes...

Several close up pictures...

Now for the fun stuff... Lets take it apart. (note all can be done with a Leatherman and bit set.)

You might be able to use a removable style pin, but I wouldn't... The bolt that holds the folding part of the action also assists in sandwiching the receiver together... I would say that's something important to note if you planned on storing it/ toting it in two different parts.

Just took a couple of the rails off so people could see whats under it, in case one would want to remove them, then wrap it in say paracord?

All cleaned up, time to put it back together.

All back together...

All specs can be found at the manufactures website:
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/136

Any questions or specific picture requests? Post up and let me know!

Hope this info helps other prospective Little Badger buyers. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but now I know, and I really like it. I also recommend this 22LR if you like niche type survival rifles.
If my LGS ever gets any in stock I will probably get a couple more... Buy em cheap and stack em deep? Two is one, one is none.

'73

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

SO MUCH WIN IN ONE POST IT COULD CRASH ARFCOM !!!
jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:05:21 PM
Very interesting, but, I'll be the first to say it. It's the ugliest thing i have ever saw
You will find Sympathy between Shit and Syphilis in the dictionary.

"Well, in summer there's fishing and fucking.
And in winter.... The fishing is bad." Kimi Raikkonen
rusteerooster
member of the Old Farts club
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:06:29 PM
If you don't mind sharing what did it cost?

Wonder if the sights could be changed to a better set?
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American GI.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
25Chuck
Like A Monster Truck You Can Pour Into Your Face!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:09:04 PM
Great review, thanks.

It looks like a neat little gun but I can't see what it does that the Henry can't do as well or better.
"It is better to live one day as a lion than one hundred years as a sheep."

"if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers." -Kim by Rudyard Kipling
glenn_r
low-speed high-drag
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:12:52 PM
What's the shortest length of pull that stock can be adjusted to?
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
W. Churchill

Hold my donut and watch this!
clownbear69
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:19:39 PM
I saw a youtube video showing it with a suppressor

I plan on getting one its like 150 bucks
thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:25:19 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jnk556:
Very interesting, but, I'll be the first to say it. It's the ugliest thing i have ever saw

See, I know others that have said that, but I think it looks neat!

thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:27:19 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By rusteerooster:

154.99 each... Plus my FFL cost.

thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:29:42 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 25Chuck:
Great review, thanks.

It looks like a neat little gun but I can't see what it does that the Henry can't do as well or better.

I can't really say it does, other then the fact it is significantly more robust, simpler, and only a single shot... It would also sink pretty quick

Notice I have both

thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:31:23 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By glenn_r:
What's the shortest length of pull that stock can be adjusted to?

I will have to measure it when I get home, but by saying length of pull is adjustable is a little bit of a stretch... I would adjust it no more then an inch out, if that.

jnk556
Modern Day Hillbilly!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:34:10 PM
[Last Edit: 8/21/2013 8:35:46 PM by jnk556]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Originally Posted By rusteerooster:

Well now, for that, I'd buy one if i seen one for sale. Not hunting one down though

@3.5lbs though I still don't think i want one to take backpacking though.
You will find Sympathy between Shit and Syphilis in the dictionary.

"Well, in summer there's fishing and fucking.
And in winter.... The fishing is bad." Kimi Raikkonen
ROCK6
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:34:24 PM
Excellent review, thanks!

I like it and if I run across one for $150, I would pick it up and add to my "niche" gun collection. I'm surprised the sights are plastic, do they seem rugged enough? I've bitched about my Kel-Tech Sub 2000 sights being plastic (I did change the front out with steel), but they've held up.

Having a threaded barrel is icing on the cake.

Could you elaborate on the extractor? I'm assuming it's manual and just pushed the shell out enough to pluck with your fingers? It's not a show-stopper, but slightly disappointing.

Great addition of the ranger band over the cartridge holder!!

ROCK6
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:35:24 PM
The sights look like AR type sights. Is that right? How does the elevation and horizontal adjustment work?

I like the concept of a ultralight rifle, but I like the idea of one with great "tech sights" style sights. I have lots of time behind tech sights so I know I can take game with them out to 70-80 yards.

If this rifle turns out to be accurate I'll have to own one. I want a takedown 10/22 as well.
The greatest crime a person can commit against themselves is the refusal to think.
thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:38:54 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jnk556:
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Well now, for that, I'd buy one if i seen one for sale. Not hunting one down though

I would not call it an ultralight backpacking rifle, I would use a pistol for that... It does seem to be pretty solid though.

batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:45:57 PM
Originally Posted By jnk556:
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I would not call it an ultralight backpacking rifle, I would use a pistol for that... It does seem to be pretty solid though.

I just want a rifle with sights that I can get dead nuts on at 50 yards and accurate enough to drill chipmunks in the head at that distance.
The greatest crime a person can commit against themselves is the refusal to think.
thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:46:22 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ROCK6:
Excellent review, thanks!

I like it and if I run across one for $150, I would pick it up and add to my "niche" gun collection. I'm surprised the sights are plastic, do they seem rugged enough? I've bitched about my Kel-Tech Sub 2000 sights being plastic (I did change the front out with steel), but they've held up.

Having a threaded barrel is icing on the cake.

Could you elaborate on the extractor? I'm assuming it's manual and just pushed the shell out enough to pluck with your fingers? It's not a show-stopper, but slightly disappointing.

Great addition of the ranger band over the cartridge holder!!

ROCK6

The sights seem to be pretty rugged, mind you I haven't actually done much more with this gun, other then taken the pictures above, and shoot it 10~20 times.
If I were to drop it on the ground, on its top, I think the sights would stay intact, If I were to drop it on a pointy rock, rear sight first, It probably would smash. Other then a direct full weight hit they seem good to go.
The extractor pushes the 22LR shell about half way out, when you fold it. It is a very basic system that would not freeze/ rust/ or jam up. I think utilitarian sums it up
Yea the cartridge holder didn't hold the cartridges very well on its own, I tried to use paracord but the ranger band works much better.

thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:50:41 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By batmanacw:
The sights look like AR type sights. Is that right? How does the elevation and horizontal adjustment work?

I like the concept of a ultralight rifle, but I like the idea of one with great "tech sights" style sights. I have lots of time behind tech sights so I know I can take game with them out to 70-80 yards.

If this rifle turns out to be accurate I'll have to own one. I want a takedown 10/22 as well.

Yes they are very similar to the AR15 stock style sights. Elevation can be changed by sliding the sight forward or back, it clicks in at each different level. Side to side just rotate the adjustment knob.

Out of all the 22LR rifles I have these are the best stock sights I have seen, with the Rossi matched pair fiber optic a close second.

So far this rifle seems very accurate, though I have yet to really put it through its paces.

batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 9:02:09 PM
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

Yes they are very similar to the AR15 stock style sights. Elevation can be changed by sliding the sight forward or back, it clicks in at each different level. Side to side just rotate the adjustment knob.

Out of all the 22LR rifles I have these are the best stock sights I have seen, with the Rossi matched pair fiber optic a close second.

So far this rifle seems very accurate, though I have yet to really put it through its paces.

Fiber optic sights are a horrible distraction when shooting from light to dark. Everyone at my Woods Walk shoot hates them in short order.

AR type sights work very well. Especially when I can get fairly close to the rear sight in crappy light. I've shot thousands of rounds in and into the woods in competition. Our shoot is more like hunting than any I've ever seen.
Dave_Markowitz
A little short for a Storm Trooper
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 9:02:46 PM
Great review, thanks. The rear sight looks very similar to the adjustable M1 Carbine rear sight.

As an aside, how do you like the Rossi? What caliber is it and have you shot it much? I've been toying with getting either a Rossi 20 gauge single shot shotgun, or a "Matched Pair" with 20 gauge and .22 LR barrels.
http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
http://www.theshootersbar.org/ -- Pro-gun attorneys
NRA Endowment Life Member
RKBA = FREEDOM
WranglerJK
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 9:25:52 PM
Excellent review and congrats on your addition!

I have that papoose collecting dust somewhere. Perhaps it's time for me to snag another .22 to keep it company.
thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 9:52:15 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
Great review, thanks. The rear sight looks very similar to the adjustable M1 Carbine rear sight.

As an aside, how do you like the Rossi? What caliber is it and have you shot it much? I've been toying with getting either a Rossi 20 gauge single shot shotgun, or a "Matched Pair" with 20 gauge and .22 LR barrels.

I have both... I have a Rossi matched pair 22LR + 20GA. I also have a Rossi single shot 20GA with a 26" barrel.

I highly recommend both, decent fit and finish but not something so nice or expensive that you wouldn't actually carry it and use it.

My single shot Rossi 26" 20GA is my current woods EDC/ bushcraft gun if you will... Along with a gun adapters rifled 22LR adapter.

My Rossi matched pair with the 22LR barrel is very accurate.
The 20GA barrel kicks just about as hard as anything I own!
I have shot the matched pair quite a bit. Cant beet em for $100~125... I probably would not spend much more on one though.

thederrick106
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 9:57:37 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By WranglerJK:
Excellent review and congrats on your addition!

I have that papoose collecting dust somewhere. Perhaps it's time for me to snag another .22 to keep it company.

Hey! Hope all-s well. I don't shoot many of mine all that often ether, not with the price of 22LR equal to that of silver 'n gold.

Nozzelnut
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 10:11:33 PM
Great review!

I've been looking for a single shot 22 like that.
Be afraid. Be very afraid of white haired men that have nothing left to lose.
Jacknife
Making Wastewater 20% Cooler
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 10:43:20 PM
Great review. I think I might have to start looking for one. That open style stock seems to just be begging to be wrapped in paracord. Maybe got with a figure eight pattern that could allow for a sheath for a decent, but light weight fixed blade knife to be attached.
Piss on you! I'm working for Mel Brooks! --Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles
MonkeyGrip
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 11:06:39 PM
[Last Edit: 8/21/2013 11:07:20 PM by MonkeyGrip]

Like a zip gun with a wire thing that goes up.

AJ_Dual
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/21/2013 11:08:44 PM
Hmmm... Even threaded for a suppressor.

That looks like an excellent candidate to work into an aluminum crutch for a "Day of the Jackal" type build...
Omnis vestri substructio es servus ad Chuck Norris.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 6