Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 7:22:42 PM EDT
I've got a couple chest rigs and I've accumulated a few extra pouches over the years. I've never tried a war belt so I'm thinking of setting up a simple one for grab and go. I don't know much about them but I'd like to learn.

The current plan in to run a holster, a couple single carbine mag pouches, a double pistol mag pouch, a roll up dump pouch and maybe a fixed blade. I want to keep it light enough to be self supported as I don't want to have to use suspenders.

Any suggestions on brands to try or setup tips?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Start here.

I use an HSGI Sure Grip for range time and hiking about. On it are a Tactical Tailor  holster, TT CAT TQ and pouch, Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit NOW!, TT accessory pouch 1H, and an Esstac KYWI double pistol mag pouch. An Emdom Multitasker multitool pouch is inbound. Rifle mags and another TQ are on my plate carrier. Ask yourself what gear you need to accomplish your mission, whatever it may be. Mission drives the gear. Think minimalist. Everything ya need, nothing ya don't.

I tried the fixed blade knife on the belt and a folding pocket knife clipped to my pocket will do everything I need a knife to do. I prefer a cargo pocket to a dump pouch.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you more torso than legs or more legs than torso?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried Warbelts and did not care for it. Chest rig and one or two pouchs and a holster on a riggers belt work better for me
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You never know until you try it. I bought a cheap, surplus, Eagle Industries war belt on ebay as a proof of concept to try it out. I liked it enough that I picked up one from CTOMS.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#5]
War belt w/ suspenders.

Used to use a chest rig in conjunction with a holster on my belt, etc. I found it more convenient to just clip on the war belt with all that shit already on it.

I'm also not that dude that carries 6 mags on his rig...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got 2 of THESE

And they work great for what I do. You can't load them super heavy because they aren't as stiff as some of the other options. Mine has a Glock 19, 2 pistol mags, a rifle mag, multi tool, flash light, and a dump pouch on it and it's not over loaded.

This is the one I have set up for my AR, it's an older pic. The big pouch has been moved to my PC, and I've added a dump pouch

This is part of what I keep in my truck under the back seat. Beretta 92FS/AK. I'm going to end up SBR'ing the M92 down the road.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may not want suspenders at the present, but I urge you to make certain to buy a belt that has 4 suspender loops (two front, and two rear) because it is very likely you will change your mind later on.  If so, ATS makes a nice pair of low-profile suspenders, suitable for wearing under one's PC, that are well-made and economical.  There are others, of course, but many more expensive, and very few better.  http://www.atstacticalgear.com/product/ST-2600/ATS-Suspenders/.

Some folks find that their belt is susceptible to sagging at the top, IOW, the belt is not stiff enough, and the top rolls over.  In such cases, the belt can greatly benefit from a home-made, one piece insert made as wide as possible from 1/16" thick black HDPE sheeting from Grainger's.  Buy more than you think you will need, as this stuff makes great frame sheets for packs.  Just remember, NO sharp corners, and NO sharp edges on the insert, lest such abrade the fabric of the belt.
View Quote

I didn't buy suspenders at first and they are currently in the mail on the way to me.  Tried to get away with not buying them but came to the realization that they are probably needed unless you like having to guess where your gear has ended up after every time you move.  You can get it snug but once you go prone and get up and run a few times, its a pretty safe bet that it will come dislodged.  You will probably never eliminate all the movement, but eliminating the rotation is the goal.  (based on my limited experience with belts)
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't buy suspenders at first and they are currently in the mail on the way to me.  Tried to get away with not buying them but came to the realization that they are probably needed unless you like having to guess where your gear has ended up after every time you move.  You can get it snug but once you go prone and get up and run a few times, its a pretty safe bet that it will come dislodged.  You will probably never eliminate all the movement, but eliminating the rotation is the goal.  (based on my limited experience with belts)
View Quote

I've done burpees while wearing my HSGI belt and have never had a problem with it moving and thus requiring suspenders.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If I had to use suspenders, I'd prefer to just stick with one of my simple chest rigs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Everyone has their preferences, and finding out what works best for you is a challenge.  The point of my comment about buying a suspenders compatible belt is that some might find that the type of belt, and/or the weight carried might make suspenders a desirable option, but only if the belt is originally equipped for them.  IMHO, there is no advantage to arbitrarily close-off options that many find useful.  YMMV.

One instance where suspenders on a war belt can be useful is if the user of the belt finds themselves compelled to use a pack with a load-bearing waist belt, which necessarily must displace the war belt.  Some users ensure that suspenders have sufficiently long straps to drop the war belt below the pack's waist belt.  Without suspenders--that are long enough-- the unsupported war belt will slide down right quick.  Now, this is what some users do, and there are other options, such as mounting some, or all of the gear on the war belt on the pack's waist belt, but sometimes this is not easily done, and is a fuss at the least.  Other users take different approaches.

The point is to try to keep as many options open, certainly while one is initially experimenting with new-to-them gear.
View Quote

I'm making a Duty Belt style belt because that's what Im used to and from what I've read the Battle Blets tend to roll at the edges.

I'm looking at the VTac mil. type suspender.

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

SUSPENDERS
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Basically a re-do of the WW II/Korean war GI pants suspenders.  Having used the former for their originally intended purpose, I'd pass for use on a war belt.  You want more support points on a war belt, and frankly, the GI pants suspenders were marginal for their intended purpose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone has their preferences, and finding out what works best for you is a challenge.  The point of my comment about buying a suspenders compatible belt is that some might find that the type of belt, and/or the weight carried might make suspenders a desirable option, but only if the belt is originally equipped for them.  IMHO, there is no advantage to arbitrarily close-off options that many find useful.  YMMV.

One instance where suspenders on a war belt can be useful is if the user of the belt finds themselves compelled to use a pack with a load-bearing waist belt, which necessarily must displace the war belt.  Some users ensure that suspenders have sufficiently long straps to drop the war belt below the pack's waist belt.  Without suspenders--that are long enough-- the unsupported war belt will slide down right quick.  Now, this is what some users do, and there are other options, such as mounting some, or all of the gear on the war belt on the pack's waist belt, but sometimes this is not easily done, and is a fuss at the least.  Other users take different approaches.

The point is to try to keep as many options open, certainly while one is initially experimenting with new-to-them gear.

I'm making a Duty Belt style belt because that's what Im used to and from what I've read the Battle Blets tend to roll at the edges.

I'm looking at the VTac mil. type suspender.

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

SUSPENDERS

Basically a re-do of the WW II/Korean war GI pants suspenders.  Having used the former for their originally intended purpose, I'd pass for use on a war belt.  You want more support points on a war belt, and frankly, the GI pants suspenders were marginal for their intended purpose.

I wasn't sure on these because the give is in the loop elastic instead of the suspenders themselves.

I've never worn any like this so I wasn't sure how'd they preform.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 3 warbelts made by
Robert at US Grunt Gear.

I will admit that his belts were
the first modern belts that I
tried, since the LBE days.

His belts are so comfortable
that I don't want to take them
off at the end of the day after
a class or long range day. They
are rock solid, and don't roll
over like others have mentioned.

His hook & loop liner belt locks the
warbelt place, with no movement,
binding, or rubbing. Extremely
comfortable.

He has designed a great system,
and has the equipment, know how
& experience to build one of the best
warbelts, period. I know there are
other great companies, with great
products in the market, but you will
not be dissappointed with any of his
gear.

Made in America, by a retired Marine,
who stands behind his products.

US Grunt Gear Warbelts

Good Luck!

John
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You never know until you try it. I bought a cheap, surplus, Eagle Industries war belt on ebay as a proof of concept to try it out. I liked it enough that I picked up one from CTOMS.
View Quote

Same here. I picked up a Eagle belt on Amazon for 11 bucks and tried it out. Liked it enough to upgrade to a HSGI belt and love it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought one of those Eagle belts for a backup/loaner. It's not HSGI, but I'd be content if it was my only belt. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought one of those Eagle belts for a backup/loaner. It's not HSGI, but I'd be content if it was my only belt. I like it a lot more than I thought I would.
View Quote

Depending on the application theyre not a bad deal at all. I put a stiff cobra belt that I already had through mine and still use it. It does roll a bit though since the belt itself is so soft, but no big deal for what it cost me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I try to keep my gear minimal, so, the belt holds only a holster, multitool and pouch, double pistol mag pouch, IFAK, and an accessories pouch. Pretty stable and no problems with rolling over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#21]
HSGI SUREGRIP BELT/ thread

I bought one of these and mounted a bravo concealment holster with sig 1911 and x300 ultra. Two HSGI pistol mag pouches and one HSGI rifle mag pouch. The i can't recall what the inner belt is but it is very stiff and has a cobra belt buckle.

I haven't found a need for suspenders as the belt doesn't shift around on me even while conducting various range drills. The setup I have is costly though I paid around $225 for the belt, inner belt, and three pouches.

The backing on the belt has a grippy neoprene type material that keeps it secured.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the idea of them but in practice haven't found much use for mine.

I put one together with 2 spare Glock mags, an AR mag, dump pouch, first aid kit, and holster.  I've only used it hiking around the woods on private property a couple of times.  Even then it was worn just to do it.

If I have pants with belt loops on I'm wearing my Ares Gear Ranger belt with a Glock 19 and 2 spare mags.  All the "war belt" really does that my daily carry belt doesn't is add a first aid kit and rifle mag along wits a lot of unnecessary bulk. It's not really grab and go either as I'd have to take my IWB holster off and deal with it riding over the top of my belt mounted spare mags.

For "grab and go" situations a bandolier with 4 rifle mags and first aid kit or a minimalist chest rig carrying the same integrate with what I already have on me a lot bether than a war belt.  They add the same basic capabilities while not interfering with what I've already got on.  I could see the war belt being somewhat useful for HD from the bedside, but honestly I'm grabbing a gun and moving out...not messing around putting a cool guy belt on.

I'd venture to say most "war belts" are range, training, or SHTFantasy use only outside of military and LE use.  The practical uses for them as a civilian seem to be pretty limited.

Of course that's just my opinion and experience with them, worth exactly what you paid for it

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can buy GI elastic webbing suspenders for cheap:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MILITARY-M1950-Trouser-PANT-SUSPENDERS-Elastic-Harness-Type-FREE-SHIPPING-/370978332077

The ones you linked are definitely better than nothing, but for a war belt, as opposed to a pair of pants (for which the VTAC suspenders might be better than original GI 2-point suspenders), I'd much prefer a set of suspenders with four attachment points to better distribute the load of the war belt.
View Quote

I making a supped up Duty Belt.

It will have a G-Code belt holster, HSGI BOK, Maxpedition Rollypoly, ( med ), 3 HSGI Pistol Taco's and 2 Rifle Taco's.
I'll use belt keepers just like a duty belt.

I was thinking that between the belt keepers and the suspenders that would work.
I was wanting suspenders that wouldn't be to bulky under a chest rig and possibly a plate carrier at a later date.

I had the TRY suspenders in mind also but I wasn't sure how bulky they were in the shoulder area.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It will have a G-Code belt holster, HSGI BOK, Maxpedition Rollypoly, ( med ), 3 HSGI Pistol Taco's and 2 Rifle Taco's.

I was thinking that between the belt keepers and the suspenders that would work.
I was wanting suspenders that wouldn't be to bulky under a chest rig and possibly a plate carrier at a later date.

I had the TRY suspenders in mind also but I wasn't sure how bulky they were in the shoulder area.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can buy GI elastic webbing suspenders for cheap:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MILITARY-M1950-Trouser-PANT-SUSPENDERS-Elastic-Harness-Type-FREE-SHIPPING-/370978332077

The ones you linked are definitely better than nothing, but for a war belt, as opposed to a pair of pants (for which the VTAC suspenders might be better than original GI 2-point suspenders), I'd much prefer a set of suspenders with four attachment points to better distribute the load of the war belt.

I got some suspenders last weekend and so far i like them a lot more than i expected.  I am having to wear my belt a little higher than i was before bc of my build i guess but its staying in place really well now.  Another thing I like about the suspenders is during breaks, I can unclip the belt (which is pretty tight) and not completely lose the belt so it takes about 5sec to re-clip the belt and go.  I think i was trying to wear the belt a little low before and it was getting bumped up to where it should ride naturally but was too loose for that position which made it rotate.  Works a lot better now.  Still kinda new to the belt.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]
HSGI suregrip belt pretty much eliminated the need for suspenders in my opinion unless you're built like that Grimace McDonalds guy.  

G-Code, is the way to go with their modularity due to their RTI wheels you can slip on and off pistol pouches for ar mag pouches or switch up holsters in a jiffy with little effort.  This is the way to go rather than reweaving MOLLE.

My wife and I both use HSGI belts and let me tell you they're a God send for the range.  We show up to the range and just toss it on, click, and we're ready to go. No standing there having to run your belt through pouches and holsters.  We cut our range prep time down, which gives us more time for shooting or allows us to squeeze in a quicker range session when we've got a ton of stuff going on that day.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HSGI suregrip belt pretty much eliminated the need for suspenders in my opinion unless you're built like that Grimace McDonalds guy.  

G-Code, is the way to go with their modularity due to their RTI wheels you can slip on and off pistol pouches for ar mag pouches or switch up holsters in a jiffy with little effort.  This is the way to go rather than reweaving MOLLE.

My wife and I both use HSGI belts and let me tell you they're a God send for the range.  We show up to the range and just toss it on, click, and we're ready to go. No standing there having to run your belt through pouches and holsters.  We cut our range prep time down, which gives us more time for shooting or allows us to squeeze in a quicker range session when we've got a ton of stuff going on that day.

View Quote

Dude, that Grimace character does have a sweet build.... nice .  Anyways, i don't think you need the suspenders but i'm keeping them on because i like them.  I'm not sure if I am wearing it high now (that is where they work) or if i was just trying to wear it super low before.

I went from this:

to this (even put on the tactical pants for effect )... its exponentially better like this.  I'm telling you tho... the suspenders are sweet.  Being able to unclip the belt but keep it on is really nice.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dude, that Grimace character does have a sweet build.... nice .  Anyways, i don't think you need the suspenders but i'm keeping them on because i like them.  I'm not sure if I am wearing it high now (that is where they work) or if i was just trying to wear it super low before.

I went from this:

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/photo-95_zpse0daf242.jpg

to this (even put on the tactical pants for effect )... its exponentially better like this.  I'm telling you tho... the suspenders are sweet.  Being able to unclip the belt but keep it on is really nice.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/IMG_0215_zpshvx8a33d.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from this:

Is that an HSGI Pogey pouch on the rear of your belt?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from this:

Yes... kinda random but it is just general storage.  I had the dump pouch but found that if i am in a hurry, i just drop the mag and if not, it is really just as fast to put it back in the taco.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes... kinda random but it is just general storage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from this:

I was looking at them several months ago for the same thing. I want something low profile, which can fit in the unused space on the back of my belt, and can hold things I might need from time-to-time, where taking off the belt to get to them isn't a big deal. I was thinking things like a basic cleaning kit (cleaning rods for clearing barrel obstructions/stuck rounds, boresnake, small bottle of lube), a small amount of 550 cord and 100 mph tape, and a small piece of VS-17 panel for signalling.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was looking at them several months ago for the same thing. I want something low profile, which can fit in the unused space on the back of my belt, and can hold things I might need from time-to-time, where taking off the belt to get to them isn't a big deal. I was thinking things like a basic cleaning kit (cleaning rods for clearing barrel obstructions/stuck rounds, boresnake, small bottle of lube), a small amount of 550 cord and 100 mph tape, and a small piece of VS-17 panel for signalling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from this:

Exactly... i like it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top