Originally Posted By ShakenNotStirred:
Originally Posted By chromeluv:
Is it easier to grab the mag out of the reversed pouch like that?
Ive never experimented...
It is not absolutely
easier. I am sure that someone versed in biomechanics could strongly argue that pulling up from a pouch is faster/easier, but I run my FAST-Mag that way for several reasons:
1) When operating anyway other than Hollywood or "slick" (i.e., with a just a belt and nothing else), I have found that a mag sticking up from the belt interferes with either my chest rig or my OTV, or both.
2) Even if the vertical mag isn't interfering with my gear, it's digging into my ribs when I move.
3) With the FAST-Mag inverted, the top (err, bottom) of the mag carrier is flush with the top edge of my War Belt, eliminating all clearance issues.
4) With the FAST-Mag located on my belt where it is, it is only noticeable if I pay attention to it. It slightly rubs my upper leg when I stride, but that's it.
5) While the draw is slower, the mag is properly oriented for direct insertion in to the M4, with no twisting or turning.
Basically, I kept playing with my gear at the range until I found what worked for me. YMMV. I originally had the FAST-Mag a few channels back on the War Belt, where it was directly lateral from my hip and could not even rub my leg when I strode. However, IOT get my pistol mags to clear my BFG TKN! pouch on my 2nd Line, I had to switch the FAST to the more foreward position and the mags a little further back (which puts them in a CCW/IDPA-like location, which is cool with me, since they are my secondary reloads; my main pistol reloads are on my chest).
ETA: If you'll notice, I don't have any of the extended floorplate mags on my 1st Line either. I am very serious about keeping the top profile of the War Belt at sleek as possible, to reduce any possible interference with my kit. I carry the Mec-Gar 20-rd AFC mags in the gun and on the chest.