Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2014 3:29:06 PM EDT
I was browsing through the archives looking for info on Arfcom's preferred tourniquets when I saw someone by the name of "FireStar" on this site stating the following:
"60+% of preventable deaths in the field are from bleeding extremities.
30+% from tension pneumo so get a needle decompression kit and learn how to use it too. It's to easy to prevent!"

There was a little more, but I cut it down to keep this thread on the subject of who makes the best tourniquets and decompression needle kits.
What makes one better than the other?
Why do you have them? What is your most likely use?
Where do you store it?
Do you like to keep multiples in different locations?

What do you think of this one? It seems like it would be better to me because you don't have to slip it over the end of the limb (which may not be doable in a situations) and maybe a little more easily stored.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to be the first to stick my toe in the water on this one.

I personally like the Cat T for the ease of one handed application.  Having said that I also carry a SOF T Wide on the med kit.  It's a give and take between the two.

Decompression needle.  You won't need one in the states.  You're generally pretty close to a hospital and first responders.  I would say that you also open yourself up to huge legal risk sticking a needle in someones chest.  That goes beyond "good samaritan" laws.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
CAT or SOFT-W. This RAT is new to me, but I've been seeing videos all over recently. ETA: I see the "fits more people" use, but one handed? And it's a huge pain in the ass to loop around multiple times like that on a dude that is laying down and bleeding. I'll keep my CATs and SOFTs unless I'm on a bariatric battlefield lol

Legal issues aside, as far as SHTF purposes go, I like NAR because they come in a nifty sharpie like case. But any 14 ga 3.25" needle will work. Just learn how to PROPERLY use it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Please please please please please please please do not buy a decompression needle just because you read it on the internet and think you need it to save the day some day. Unless you are trained to use it by knowing how, where, when, AND WHAT TO DO WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK AND THINGS GO WRONG.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
As an extra question, has anyone had experience with the MAT Mechanical Advantage Tourniquet?  Any problems stopping a distal pulse, breaking the plastic cog, etc?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm partial to the SOFT-wide. I think the CAT has an easier learning curve and is acceptable   The SOFT-W is my first choice
Look at what the TCCC says regarding TQs and their recommendation

I like the needles from H&H - same one as the NAR, but cheaper. I'm not a fan of NAR or their practices.

Unless you are your buddies know how to use the needle, I wouldn't get one. Spend the money on a trainer TQ and practice with it

Do not use your critical use TQ as a trainer
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a bunch of CAT's, a couple of SWAT's, and I'm going to pick up a SOFFT-W or two. All have their pros and cons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The top two that have been tried and proven is the CAT and the SOFTT (and the W version). If I get shot in a limb, I want one of those on me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A 14G Angiocath works great for decompressing a tension PTX.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#9]
We use CAT-T's and ARS decompression needles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please please please please please please please do not buy a decompression needle just because you read it on the internet and think you need it to save the day some day. Unless you are trained to use it by knowing how, where, when, AND WHAT TO DO WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK AND THINGS GO WRONG.
View Quote

I'd ask you for a little more benefit of the doubt, but I can see you've been burned by some of my fellow 14ers in the past.
I wouldn't think of sticking one of these things into myself or anybody else without first becoming an expert in their use.

I just wanted to know if some decompression needles were better than others and what to stay away from.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of CAT's, a couple of SWAT's, and I'm going to pick up a SOFFT-W or two. All have their pros and cons.
View Quote

But do you have a favorite? And what makes that one your favorite?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm partial to the SOFT-wide. I think the CAT has an easier learning curve and is acceptable   The SOFT-W is my first choice

I like the needles from H&H - same one as the NAR, but cheaper. I'm not a fan of NAR or their practices.

Unless you are your buddies know how to use the needle, I wouldn't get one. Spend the money on a trainer TQ and practice with it

View Quote

Just curious, what are NARs practices that you aren't a fan of?

I only use them cause that's what I get issued, so cost and politics isn't my problem . But I am curious.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#13]
The RATS is pretty awesome. But if you try it out, make sure somebody is nearby to help get that fucker off.

It works really well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
CAT-T or SOFT

Personally, a CAT-T for my Arms, and SOFT for my legs since I got some bigass legs.

Decompression Needle
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I only use them cause that's what I get issued, so cost and politics isn't my problem . But I am curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand they are wide issued, and their actual medical products aren't bad. The issues I have with them are:
- they blatantly copy peoples stuff
      - they copied ITS med pouch
      - they blatalanty copied another gear company's med pouch and panel. They fed that company a load if BS about how they wanted to sell their products and what great designs . I happened to be at a conference when NAR was called out on it- it was great
      - they pulled a real shitty move during the height of the GWOT with the Izzy dressing from performance systems. NAR copied the dressing and packaged it with the Izzys NSN and sold it to the Gov ( which is highly unethical and illegal) they were called out on it and eventually changed the dressing a bit and packaging. Had they not had a good lobbyist, they would have been major repercussions
- the knockoff CAT things was a real issue. When the knockoffs starting showing up, NAR didn't care and did nothing to protect the end user ( they eventually did do something)  unlike TacMed- who when found out about knockoffs of their SOFT, put out a PDF with the differences to spot the fakes
- they " sponsored" a med program for several Gov agencies. In doing so , they controlled course content and forbid any competitors products to be taught/used in the classes. I understand as a business they are pushing the products that they sell.  The issue I have with holding back on teaching life saving slills that may be afforded a better chance at survival due to better products.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CAT, by a slight margin, if only for the ease of one-handed use.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I understand they are wide issued, and their actual medical products aren't bad. The issues I have with them are:
      - they blatalanty copied another gear company's med pouch and panel. They fed that company a load if BS about how they wanted to sell their products and what great designs . I happened to be at a conference when NAR was called out on it- it was great
      - they pulled a real shitty move during the height of the GWOT with the Izzy dressing from performance systems. NAR copied the dressing and packaged it with the Izzys NSN and sold it to the Gov ( which is highly unethical and illegal) they were called out on it and eventually changed the dressing a bit and packaging. Had they not had a good lobbyist, they would have been major repercussions
- the knockoff CAT things was a real issue. When the knockoffs starting showing up, NAR didn't care and did nothing to protect the end user ( they eventually did do something)  unlike TacMed- who when found out about knockoffs of their SOFT, put out a PDF with the differences to spot the fakes
- they " sponsored" a med program for several Gov agencies. In doing so , they controlled course content and forbid any competitors products to be taught/used in the classes. I understand as a business they are pushing the products that they sell.  The issue I have with holding back on teaching life saving slills that may be afforded a better chance at survival due to better products.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, never heard about this.  Glad I haven't spent any money with them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I know nothing about decomp needles so I don't have any. I currently only have TK4 tourniquets on hand,but have some CATs on order.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Tourniquet brand, as long as it is legit, is less important than training with it.  You need to develop muscle memory and confidence with the equipment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tourniquet brand, as long as it is legit, is less important than training with it.  You need to develop muscle memory and confidence with the equipment.
View Quote

Yes, training is of the utmost importance, but I'm still curious what your personal preference of brand is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#21]
CAT TQ. Easy to store, easy to use, light, durable.

I've also trained with the SOF-T is a bit bulky but pro's are it's durable and like someone mentioned before it's large enough and easier to put around large legs than the CAT. I'm split on the aluminum windlass on the SOF-T as I've seen better execution of a aluminum windlass on the TQS tourniquet.  

As for decomp I have a mojo dart in the safety container.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Needles....I Hate Needles.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, training is of the utmost importance, but I'm still curious what your personal preference of brand is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CAT is what I have the most experience with and it works. SOFT-T is gtg as well.  No experience with other types other than finger fucking them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An NSN is only used to tell you what product not brand of a product.  The NSN is the same for a Colt M4 as a FN M4.  I dealt with supply issues for 12 years in the military and when you order 12 of the same product via NSN from the government you may get a brand XYZ for 2 and ABC for 8 and HBA for 2.  so your claim of it being illegal hold no ground they are also a GSA dealer so they do sell NSN products.  Now if you said they sold the gov Celex when they ordered Quick Clot now that would be illegal.  I just wanted to point out a issue with your reason its not good to spread false hoods or if your not knowledgeable I understand.  Please do not take this as an attack on you Metro6.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a very weird subset of people that like to buy EMS items that are well beyond their training. God help the person they come across when they get the chance to "try out" their toys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding.  Seriously.  This is a case where discretion is the better part of valor.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

First rule is "do no harm".
I'm sure OP learned that in his classes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I like the CAT, and they can be had on the cheap on ebay if you buy in lots of 5-10. Just watch out for fakes. I have not seen that RAT aside from the vid posted, but it looks way to narrow IMO.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#30]
That single hand ratcheting tourniquet was actually DROPPED by Ranger Regiment because they were having dudes needing amputations BECAUSE they were cranking them so tight it was causing massive tissue damage underneath the tourniquet itself.

Also,
DO NOT FUCKING ATTEMPT A NEEDLE CHEST DECOMPRESSION UNLESS YOU HAVE RECEIVED ACTUAL TRAINING IN PERSON FROM ACTUAL QUALIFIED MEDICAL PERSONNEL (no youtube doesn't fucking count as training)!
It's pretty simple, but there's a bit more to it than just slamming a needle into a guy's chest to relieve the pressure, and if you fuck it up you can kill him.

The condition a Needle D is for is a condition that actually doesn't occur until about 20-40 minutes after the guy is wounded (at the earliest....). There is NO need to cause further damage because you watched a youtube videoand think it MIGHT help when the guy NEEDS the surgeon at the hospital 20 minutes away.
Just tape a piece of plastic to either side of the wound (leave a corner open on one side), and get them to a surgeon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There is a very weird subset of people that like to buy EMS items that are well beyond their training. God help the person they come across when they get the chance to "try out" their toys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two truer statements haven't been posted in here in a while. Too any here think the gear makes the man.

No matter how much MultiCam you have and how much gear you have, it doesn't make you the operator you will never be.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

classes? what classes? he makes no mention that he is educated on this procedure, just that he read something online. in my opinion, if he were educated on the subject he wouldn't be asking some of the questions he asked such as, "why do you have them" or "what is your most likely use"
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

this x1000

as a former medic with 15+ years in field and many more not working as a medic i have seen a real need for a decompression... ONCE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this x1000

as a former medic with 15+ years in field and many more not working as a medic i have seen a real need for a decompression... ONCE

In my eleven years now of fire/ems... I've never seen one used. Have heard numerious stories from seasoned medics who've done it once or twice.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
No, I never claimed to have training or experience. I also said nothing to indicate that I would ever use a needle on myself or others without first recieving proper training.

The only reason I asked about needles is because of something said by another member here who was vocal about the subject.

The question about needles was a secondary question. I wouldn't think that one brand of needle would be any better than any other brand, but I've been surprised on this sort of thing before so I thought I would ask.

I will eventually get the necessary training (in person, with a professional).
In the meantime I thought I would ask about different brands of tourniquets and decompression needles.
What's the harm in that?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#35]

I deal with the same system and understand it. They did this before they had an NSN assigned to that product- very sketchy   These are 2 different items- just like the Tac Med or H&H dressing have different NSNs, these do top. They got called on it and somehow got it swept under the rug. I guess it pays to have good lawyers and lobbyists.  No worries- didn't take offense. I should have explained it better
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In my eleven years now of fire/ems... I've never seen one used. Have heard numerious stories from seasoned medics who've done it once or twice.
View Quote

But what am I supposed to put on that open line of MOLLE I have? I also have some open space in my med kit...  I HAVE to fill it with something.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But what am I supposed to put on that open line of MOLLE I have? I also have some open space in my med kit...  I HAVE to fill it with something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait. You don't dump everything out of your ifak and carry dip and rip its?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Whoever quoted that 30% of prehospital deaths are due to tension pneuomos is out of their minds.  In my facility with 5000+ traumas a year, I've seen 2 decompressions in the last calendar year.  And one of them was actually treating symptoms of a non-existant pneumo and in fact ended up causing one.
View Quote

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Whoever quoted that 30% of prehospital deaths are due to tension pneuomos is out of their minds.  In my facility with 5000+ traumas a year, I've seen 2 decompressions in the last calendar year.  And one of them was actually treating symptoms of a non-existant pneumo and in fact ended up causing one.
View Quote

I'm thinking someone at some point saw that as being a statistic on the battlefield and it eventually went to being used as prehospital.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

iirc that study came from military field hospitals dealing with combat casualties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking someone at some point saw that as being a statistic on the battlefield and it eventually went to being used as prehospital.

iirc that study came from military field hospitals dealing with combat casualties.

That's correct. It is all part of the TCCC curriculum. Extremity Hemorrhage 60%, Tension Pneumothorax 33%, Airway Obstruction 6%
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#46]

I just finished watching a 6 episode series about PJ's in Afghanistan. very informative. They use TQ's and even show the PJ's using  decompression needles and a new toy called the IO IV system, where if the patent lost so much blood that a vain can not be found to start the blood IV they use a drill like device to drill a needle into the bone to give blood through the bone.

It shows you how fast you must make decisions and use your training to save a life before the soldier bleeds out.

The series is called "inside Combat Rescue" on Netflix and is part of the Nat Geo channel filmed in 2012-2013

I recommend all to watch it.....It really makes you think and think differently about your IFAK/FIRST AID kits and what you may encounter during a SHTF/RWOL scenario.

You can watch all 6 episodes on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghKr3XCPCR0[/youtube
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, very well said.
I was going to edit the thread title after reading some of the responses here, but I think I'll leave it just in case someone else is thinking of buying a needle off the interwebs.
This thread may actually save someone's life by preventing an unneeded needle placement.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]
One day someone is going to come on here and tell us how they are going to jail because he tried to do something he was totally unqualified to do and wouldnt it be grand if he filed lawsuit against ARFCOM for allowing threads like these..
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
wouldnt it be grand if he filed lawsuit against ARFCOM for allowing threads like these..
View Quote

You mean threads where pretty much everybody agrees you shouldn't do it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top