Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a one-of-a-kind thread so far. These threads are usually in the survival forum and tend to have a lot of posters rolling their eyes at our panty-waisted advice.
View Quote

I've always wondered how many people are going to get maimed/die after the [whatever imaginary] apocalypse because of homebrewed/ self-taught medicine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Please please please please please please please do not buy a decompression needle just because you read it on the internet and think you need it to save the day some day. Unless you are trained to use it by knowing how, where, when, AND WHAT TO DO WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK AND THINGS GO WRONG.
View Quote

This.  I know a tac paramedic who has worked the streets for 10+ years with the training to use one.   Never has.

SOF-T wide is my choice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've always wondered how many people are going to get maimed/die after the [whatever imaginary] apocalypse because of homebrewed/ self-taught medicine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a one-of-a-kind thread so far. These threads are usually in the survival forum and tend to have a lot of posters rolling their eyes at our panty-waisted advice.

A lot. I remember watching an episode of Doomsday Preppers and this hillbilly on there was going to give his wife a C-section on a tarp in their shed
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:...

I remember watching an episode of Doomsday Preppers and this hillbilly on there was going to give his wife a C-section on a tarp in their shed
View Quote

My dick shriveled up after reading that.

If you don't know what to do with a needle, buy a Bolin Chest Seal or an Asherman Chest Seal.  At least you won't be sending someone to the hospital over putting a sticker on them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.  I know a tac paramedic who has worked the streets for 10+ years with the training to use one.   Never has.

SOF-T wide is my choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please please please please please please please do not buy a decompression needle just because you read it on the internet and think you need it to save the day some day. Unless you are trained to use it by knowing how, where, when, AND WHAT TO DO WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK AND THINGS GO WRONG.

SOF-T wide is my choice.

Seriously?  Chest decompression is a NREMT-P skill.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Are needles something that should be stocked in an IFAK?

I've got no training on them so I'm not even sure what they'd be used for. I'm just thinking "if I get my ass kicked by an SUV and an off-duty ER doctor decides to save my life using my FAK (while someone's on hold for 15 minutes with the needs-to-be-upgraded Austin 911 center before the ambulance gets stuck for 30 minutes in the rush hour traffic on the Mo Pac frontage road), would having a decompression needle help them save my butt?"

If so, what kind of needle and where could a layman buy one?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got no training on them so I'm not even sure what they'd be used for. I'm just thinking "if I get my ass kicked by an SUV and an off-duty nurse decides to save my life using my FAK (while someone's on hold for 15 minutes with the needs-to-be-upgraded Austin 911 center), would having a decompression needle help them save my butt?"

View Quote

As an EMT who knows many nurses, I can honestly say I would not want a nurse near me with the intent to stick a needle in my chest.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've got no training on them so I'm not even sure what they'd be used for. I'm just thinking "if I get my ass kicked by an SUV and an off-duty ER doctor decides to save my life using my FAK (while someone's on hold for 15 minutes with the needs-to-be-upgraded Austin 911 center before the ambulance gets stuck for 30 minutes in the rush hour traffic on the Mo Pac frontage road), would having a decompression needle help them save my butt?"

View Quote

Not sure if trolling at this point (considering how the thread has gone so far).
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

most of these issues develop over time. very rarely will you need a stick in the first few min of the injury.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

most of these issues develop over time. very rarely will you need a stick in the first few min of the injury.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the CAT for the most part I keep one TQ on my vest with a pair of shears in a MSM holder, plus 1 CAT and 1 TK4 in my blowout kit on the side of my vest (eagle mar ciras) or my chest rig when not using armor.. I also have a few SOF-T TQ's sitting around but our Doc's are not really fond of them due to the setscrew and smaller band on them. So they have mostly been removed from service in my unit

For chest decompression needles I use either a H&H or BD 14GA 3.25 inch, No preferance just what we were issued.

I cannot overstress the need for TRAINING when it comes to these items ! I know its been stressed so ill leave it at that. Shit I didnt even like doing the nasopharyngeal airway. My sinus's really hated that one!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As an EMT who knows many nurses, I can honestly say I would not want a nurse near me with the intent to stick a needle in my chest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got no training on them so I'm not even sure what they'd be used for. I'm just thinking "if I get my ass kicked by an SUV and an off-duty nurse decides to save my life using my FAK (while someone's on hold for 15 minutes with the needs-to-be-upgraded Austin 911 center), would having a decompression needle help them save my butt?"

I guess it's a big misconception (at least in these parts) that if you're a nurse... You know any and all things medical. Which..... is typically not the case.

Especially emergency/trauma medicine....
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I guess it's a big misconception (at least in these parts) that if you're a nurse... You know any and all things medical. Which..... is typically not the case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am LEFR certified and I know more about trauma care the many of the EMTs I work with

Had a kid shoot himself in the upper left chest and nicked his lung (my first real life sucking chest wound) not to long ago I was first on scene and threw a HyFin on the entry wound and a make shift valve on the exit. When EMS showed up, none of them knew what an occlusive dressing was or how to use it
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Break out a decompression needle on me and you better know WTF you are doing and save my life. For this there will be 72 virgins and beer.

Mess up and I will haunt you and your family. I won't go full grudge, but I'll space it out...flat tires, using all your printer ink, leaving fridge open overnight, then I start the killing.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top