Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2013 6:03:31 PM EDT
Headphones with mic
what do you guys think?  Would be used for SHTF purposes.  Would be worn with an ACH.

thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
wouxun hand mic + single 3.5mm Earbud + inexpensive stringy earpro tied to your helmet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wouxun hand mic + single 3.5mm Earbud + inexpensive stringy earpro tied to your helmet.
View Quote

link?

I'm all about this right now
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Suppressors... or earbud under Peltor Comtacs so that I can still hear for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a similar setup to the first response.  Yaesu radio to a speakermic, short audio cable from the speakermic to the howard leight's audio input jack.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
link?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

link?

Here is what I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F7N11Q

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-AUD-1100-06-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000SE6IV8

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#7]
How does one bypass the plug off the hand held mic going into the radio and send the audio via the two male end plug to the headphones?

thanks

edit: nevermind, I see now.  The mic has the ability to be plugged into and then ran to the headphones.  cool.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That was the easiest $60 of mine you've ever spent
View All Quotes

You're spending mine in the gear thread.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I did it too..

momma is not gonna be happy about this.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How does one bypass the plug off the hand held mic going into the radio and send the audio via the two male end plug to the headphones?

thanks

edit: nevermind, I see now.  The mic has the ability to be plugged into and then ran to the headphones.  cool.
View Quote

I do not see how this is done...doesnt the mic block the port for the headphones?
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#12]
there is a port on the mic body to plug the headphones into.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I do not see how this is done...doesnt the mic block the port for the headphones?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

The mic has a port as well.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#14]
What radio and PTT setup can I use with a pair of peltor comtac II's? Anybody know?

And it doesn't have a mic, can I just plug one in to the headset?
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What radio and PTT setup can I use with a pair of peltor comtac II's? Anybody know?

View Quote

Everything is expensive. I believe Sordin has PTTs that work with a wider range of civ radios than our peltors, but it's still not great.

See this.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think a FL6N will work with any commercial radio.

Link Posted: 11/13/2013 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm, cool thread.  Any ideas on a cheap setup for a Yaesu vx-8?  It looks like it has a proprietary mic connection.  

I already have the howard leight ear pro.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Not as cheap, but a cut above all the other headsets I've used:

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Heads up.

The male to male plug on amazon as described in this thread is shipping from china.

mine is not showing a delivery till middle of December and I am moving before then..

I am thinking it would be better to buy the cable from Radio Shack.

I have sent an email to the seller to see if they will cancel the order.

Aaron
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Heads up.

The male to male plug on amazon as described in this thread is shipping from china.

mine is not showing a delivery till middle of December and I am moving before then..

I am thinking it would be better to buy the cable from Radio Shack.

I have sent an email to the seller to see if they will cancel the order.

Aaron
View Quote

Sorry bro.

Any similar double male will work. Should be at walmart, walgreens, etc.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#22]
no problem Hoss.  I am excited about putting this rig with my radio and the $2 wasted on the cable is negligible.  I just wanted to let everyone know what the situation was.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
no problem Hoss.  I am excited about putting this rig with my radio and the $2 wasted on the cable is negligible.  I just wanted to let everyone know what the situation was.
View Quote

Not to be an ass but forward your mail...?
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

will do.

that being said it is kinda  a weird situation in that I live in a pretty rural area and typically have packages dropped off at the gate of the ranch and it is just a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#25]
^^ ah, gotcha.

I'm still receiving fwd'd mail from when I moved October 1st
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Did somebody pay it forward?
I just received the programming cable for the UV-5R+ in the mail, I had forgotten to order it when I ordered my radio.

I'm thinking I just buy so much crap, I forgot about it - especially b/c it came in the same "slow bout from china" packaging as the 5.69 backpacking stoves. That means I ordered it over 2 weeks ago, maybe closer to a month. And it arrived at my office address...

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread was perfectly timed for me. I just picked up a pair of Baofeng radios yesterday and was trying to figure out how to set everything up. Visit trusty arfcom, and i'm good to go.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#28]
well my headphones and mic showed up.

The headphones came with a dual male plug.

when I push the transmit button on the mic the radio feeds back very loudly.

I went to walmart and bought a more heavy duty plug and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

edit: let me clarify, the feedback comes through the headphones.  If the headphones are not plugged into the mic the radio and mic function normally.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
well my headphones and mic showed up.

The headphones came with a dual male plug.

when I push the transmit button on the mic the radio feeds back very loudly.

I went to walmart and bought a more heavy duty plug and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

edit: let me clarify, the feedback comes through the headphones.  If the headphones are not plugged into the mic the radio and mic function normally.
View Quote

Is this with everything laid out on a table or something, or with the headphones on your noggin'?  If the volume on the headphones is up high enough, and they're close to the mic, and not sealed around a skull, that'll definitely happen.  If they're on your head when it happens, that'd just be odd since even the highest volume on those things shouldn't be able to loop that badly.

Edit:  come to think of it, something's definitely weird there.  The only time the mic should send any audio anywhere is when the PTT is keyed, at which point the audio output is muted (unless those bing chow's do full duplex, which I'd doubt.)  I are be confused too now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
The situation is this:  Baofeng is in my pack on the back of the plate carrier.  The mic is routed through the left shoulder pad and attached to the molle on the left side of the plate carrier.  The headphones are on my head.  I have tried moving the headphone cable away from the mic cable to see if they were interfering with each other.  It definitely seems like if I point the headphone mics at the speaker mic attached to the radio that it instigates feedback.

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The situation is this:  Baofeng is in my pack on the back of the plate carrier.  The mic is routed through the left shoulder pad and attached to the molle on the left side of the plate carrier.  The headphones are on my head.  I have tried moving the headphone cable away from the mic cable to see if they were interfering with each other.  It definitely seems like if I point the headphone mics at the speaker mic attached to the radio that it instigates feedback.

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the input.
View Quote
What headset are you using?

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#32]
The howard leight headphones listed in this thread.

I am thinking it is a problem with the mic?  When I turn the plugs in the mic it distorts.

Thanks again,
Aaron
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The howard leight headphones listed in this thread.

I am thinking it is a problem with the mic?  When I turn the plugs in the mic it distorts.

Thanks again,

Aaron
View Quote

Maybe post up some pics?

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
if I point the headphone mics at the speaker mic attached to the radio

View Quote

Pics would be very helpful. The ear pro previously posted does not have a microphone, just an audio-in jack for your radio's received audio. In the setup posted, the only microphones were on the radio and on the speaker mic... sounds like you may have a better set of ear pro with yet a third microphone that's expecting to pump audio in two directions, while the speaker mic isn't wired for that - hence the gawdawful sound.

On the plus side, you may have a set of awesome ear pro!
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I took some pics but I do not see how to upload and post them.  I guess I have to upload them to another picture sharing site?  

To clarify, there is not an external boom mic on the headphones.  The mic I was referencing on the phones is the mic in either ear piece which detects the ambient sounds to be heard through the phones.

They are the exact Howard Leight phones and mic listed on the first page in the post by Bcauzy.

Sorry if I was not more clear.

edit:  Ok, I have found that even if the mic is not plugged into the radio and the headphones are worn, the same noise is heard through the phones when the radio is transmitting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is probably a good option and better than buying some cheap junk that will not work under any real world use.
If you get one of the acoustic 3.5mm plug in's for the hand mic. I found mine fits into the center of some Surefire ear pro. so I get the best of both. real ear pro when needed, good seal for the ear  bud comms.
I've got Sordin duel comms and all the PTT bells and whistles for my radios and lots of fancy stuff but overall unless I know I need ear pro with all this I seem to use this very simple and cost effective set up more than anything else.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#37]
edit:  Ok, I have found that even if the mic is not plugged into the radio and the headphones are worn, the same noise is heard through the phones when the radio is transmitting.
View Quote

Don't know anything in particular about comm systems, but from an electronics standpoint, sounds like your ear pro isn't properly shielded and you're picking up electronic interference from the radio system.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Make sure your jacks are seated all the way in.

My rig:

(also tested with success on a Wouxon using the same mic and cable)
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Make sure your jacks are seated all the way in.

My rig:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/6F2CAD90-B97F-40D7-A30E-906E5CBC9F17_zpsisay8ve3.jpg

(also tested with success on a Wouxon using the same mic and cable)
View Quote

Becauz3y-

How do you like the mic?  I'd like to be able to use a button and speak softly, the little earpiece and mic that I've got are great for that, but no good for wearing earpro.  If I wear this mic on the top part or shoulder of a chest rig will it pick up voice well?

Thanks-
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Becauz3y-

How do you like the mic?  I'd like to be able to use a button and speak softly, the little earpiece and mic that I've got are great for that, but no good for wearing earpro.  If I wear this mic on the top part or shoulder of a chest rig will it pick up voice well?

Thanks-
View Quote
That is where I wear it as well.

I haven't tested it a lot being quiet, but I've never had any trouble with the mic picking my voice up.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I haven't tested it a lot being quiet, but I've never had any trouble with the mic picking my voice up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Becauz3y-

Thanks-

Thanks.

this damn website has cost me sooooo much money....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top