User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Taurus PT1911 I had was more reliable than my Dan Wesson CBOB.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taurus?

HiPoints can take 1911 mags now:

http://thingmeister.yolasite.com/products.php

The Taurus PT1911 I had was more reliable than my Dan Wesson CBOB.......

My dad won a 1911 Taurus in a raffle a few years back. We were expecting it to be a pos but I gotta say, that thing has chugged along and eaten every piece of crap we could find. Its not mag picky or anything unlike some of our "higher end" 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I suppose but I think a nicer looking front site would be to my preference. After all, it is a single action but it ain't a single action revolver.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm only a sample of one, but my early P-12 LDA has been nothing but dependable. My son's Para Carry has been good, but I've found it to be more subject to limp-wristing malfunctions if I'm not paying attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always thought para ordnance sucked. The percentage of returns for issues compared to sales was pretty high.

My Canadian P-14 ran and ran and ran. Thousands of rounds and never a problem. The N.C. guns on the other hand I can't comment on with any first hand knowledge but I've read plenty of horror stories. Probably a contributing factor to them going out of business.

I'm only a sample of one, but my early P-12 LDA has been nothing but dependable. My son's Para Carry has been good, but I've found it to be more subject to limp-wristing malfunctions if I'm not paying attention.

Years ago, I had a Para-Ordnance P-14 "Limited."  The gun was excellent, right out of the box.  I have always had a high regard for Para (now Para USA) due to my positive experience.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
colt

+1

No sense of humor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Could it be hitting an adjustable rear sight?  Had that happen with  an early Colt series 70 that had an adjustable rear added.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 1911 I've had the most problems with is a Remington R-1 Enhanced.  Just can not get it to run reliably.  It's something to do with the fire control group, but I've already taken the Series 80 parts out and changed the hammer and sear.  Fairly reliably the hammer will not fall all the way at lest once per magazine.

Could it be hitting an adjustable rear sight?  Had that happen with  an early Colt series 70 that had an adjustable rear added.

Nope.  Novak-style adjustable (factory installed)
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
We had the mayor of one of our small towns buy and American Classic for the officer of her one-man police department.  The gun was unable to feed more than three consecutive rounds of ball ammo without a malfunction.  We tried running Winchester Ranger, Federal Tactical, and Speer Gold Dot through it.  None of those could feed more than two consecutive rounds.  The fit of virtually all of the parts was poor at best, and the ramp was visibly out of spec.  I had never even heard of this company, and had to do a Google search to figure out what kind of a junk heap this was.

We ended up telling the mayor to just go buy the guy a Glock for the same amount of money and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You referring to Springfield? I have a full size Loaded, and never had an issue out of it. Love mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a name that is conspicuous here by its absence.

Maybe that is a good thing.

You referring to Springfield? I have a full size Loaded, and never had an issue out of it. Love mine.

Besides Springfield, S&W's are also absent of which I have a few. I've never had any type of failures either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The worst 1911 I have ever owned was a AO. It was purple due to improper bluing, and went full auto on me first trip to the range. I sent it back, and upon it's return I immediately traded it on a Sig P230. Back around Xmas time I bought a blem Taurus from Kygunco for $340. I think it was a typo because they quickly went up $100 or so. I only have a 150 rds or so through it. It occasionally hiccups but it is getting better and I expect it will be running 100% with a few more boxes through it. Great slide to frame fit, very smooth. Gonna do the Cylinder & Slide upgrade with the Marine FCG, new firing pin and stop, and a complete pin and spring package. I already have most of the parts. That will put me at close to list price. Did basically the same thing to my Norincos with NOS USGI parts. Damn, I miss Dare Gun Room.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kimber is a 50/50 brand as I see it. You have a 50% chance of getting a damned good one; and 50% chance of getting a turd... A lot of their customers will only fire 4-5 mags thru one a year and never have enough rounds thru one to ever see a problem. Then you have the one's that won't fire a full magazine without a stove pipe, nose dive, or failure to battery... Those get sent back pretty quick! But Kimber sure spends a lot of money on advertising and they sure come out of the box pretty...  I'd keep a good one if I knew the history beforehand but I will never buy a NIB Kimber...
View Quote

I have a 15 year old Kimber "Custom Shop" that thankfully is one of the good ones. For the most part, I've been happy with my current 1911s that include a Baer TRS and a Bob Miller Colt Commander.  I haven't purchased any new 1911s in a decade or more, so I don't know the current trends but have a growing desire for an STI.

25 years ago, I had an Essex frame with a Colt 9mm top end as my first gun, complete with Eliason rear sight and its magically disappearing roll pin. That was not a shining example of 1911 quality, but it was what I could afford from my after school job.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't own a 1911 from any of these manufacturers based on first hand experience:
Taurus
Kimber
Para Ord
Nighthawk custom.

I've seen way too many quality control, manufacturing defect, or function issues with the above brands for me to ever want to reward them with my money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anything AMT in stainless, circa 1980s.
View Quote

I had an AMT around that time period.  It was hard to work the slide back and forth by hand!  

By the time I got it to work reliably, the slide to frame fit was so sloppy, accuracy was really anyone's guess!    

At least I DID get it to where it would go "BANG" every time......    
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kimber is a 50/50 brand as I see it. You have a 50% chance of getting a damned good one; and 50% chance of getting a turd... A lot of their customers will only fire 4-5 mags thru one a year and never have enough rounds thru one to ever see a problem. Then you have the one's that won't fire a full magazine without a stove pipe, nose dive, or failure to battery... Those get sent back pretty quick! But Kimber sure spends a lot of money on advertising and they sure come out of the box pretty...  I'd keep a good one if I knew the history beforehand but I will never buy a NIB Kimber...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kimber
Of the 1911's I have owned they have been the worst for me; now I've never owned a Taurus etc.

I have two Kimbers that have been absolutely 100%, and both are very accurate.  Guess I got a couple of the good ones!  

In any case, these are both pre-series II, so that may have something to do with it.  I do think the early Kimbers had a better build quality than those that came out around the external extractor fiasco.  Kimber never has been able to get their reputation back since that nightmare.  Since I haven't had any experience with a series II, perhaps that is deserved.  I simply cannot say.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on their good reputation (and my personal experience with a Springer of a different configuration I own), I went out looking for a 9mm Springfield Range Officer today.  I found one, NIB, for ~ $930, more money than I thought it should have been.  Even so, I was still interested, because they are so good, right?  

Working the slide by hand, it would lock back WITHOUT a magazine in it!  (The slide stop wasn't engaging the slide - the slide was hanging up further forward than that.)  

It wasn't just a one-time thing either.  It was repeatable!  It hung up right where the disconnector started to be engaged by the slide.  It didn't seem like the disconnector had any burrs on it or anything, and you could depress it easily by hand.  

I not sure if this is a problem that would just disappear after a few rounds, but who wants to buy a brand-new pistol with a known "issue"?  They wouldn't discount it at all, so I passed on it.  

The one Springfield that I do own, didn't start out life being dependable.  For the first 400 rounds, it was a jam-o-matic!  After a trip back for a ramp polishing, it is great now!  

I guess any manufacturer does let a problem get out every now and then.  The good manufacturers take CARE of their customers!  (Like Springfield did for me....)  

Perhaps that is what we should ask about.  Who takes care of their customers when a problem is found?  

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Based on their good reputation (and my personal experience with a Springer of a different configuration I own), I went out looking for a 9mm Springfield Range Officer today.  I found one, NIB, for ~ $930, more money than I thought it should have been.  Even so, I was still interested, because they are so good, right?  

Working the slide by hand, it would lock back WITHOUT a magazine in it!  (The slide stop wasn't engaging the slide - the slide was hanging up further forward than that.)  

It wasn't just a one-time thing either.  It was repeatable!  It hung up right where the disconnector started to be engaged by the slide.  It didn't seem like the disconnector had any burrs on it or anything, and you could depress it easily by hand.  

I not sure if this is a problem that would just disappear after a few rounds, but who wants to buy a brand-new pistol with a known "issue"?  They wouldn't discount it at all, so I passed on it.  

The one Springfield that I do own, didn't start out life being dependable.  For the first 400 rounds, it was a jam-o-matic!  After a trip back for a ramp polishing, it is great now!  

I guess any manufacturer does let a problem get out every now and then.  The good manufacturers take CARE of their customers!  (Like Springfield did for me....)  

Perhaps that is what we should ask about.  Who takes care of their customers when a problem is found?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this case the dealer is not motivated to discount the gun at all as they barely make any money off the gun to begin with.  What they SHOULD do is call Springfield and report the issue.  Springfield will likely issue them a FedEx label and get it repaired.  Then it's still a new gun and they're not out any money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In this case the dealer is not motivated to discount the gun at all as they barely make any money off the gun to begin with.  What they SHOULD do is call Springfield and report the issue.  Springfield will likely issue them a FedEx label and get it repaired.  Then it's still a new gun and they're not out any money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, but they didn't volunteer to do that either.  They might have decided to do so after I left though....  

Bad thing is, I had cash in my pocket to buy that pistol, and I REALLY wanted it!  I just didn't want to buy a problem.  

Things like that is why I don't buy on-line and have them shipped to my local FFL.  I want to INSPECT it before I buy it!  
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today, I located another Springfield Range Officer in 9mm.  I went over to check it out, even though it was used, and has been highly customized.  I figured that was fine with me, as long as the changes were well done.  

The price was pretty good, so I took a little drive to check it out.  It seemed OK, except they had a trigger lock on it that they didn't offer to remove for me.  I was still able to operate the action and test the trigger though.  

However, the slide to frame fit was really loose!  I mean it would rattle if shaken!  Naturally, since there were a lot of other modifications, I don't know if it came from Springfield Armory like that, so it ain't necessarily a knock on Springfield.  

The REAL deal breaker for me was the sign that said there was a three day waiting period for ALL firearms purchases.  I asked them where did that come from, because a waiting period isn't required by law here.  They said it was "store policy", so I left immediately upon hearing that.  

Isn't it enough that the Federal government CONSTANTLY messes with lawful gun owners?  

Isn't NICS supposed to be "National Instant Criminal Background Check System "?  

I won't support that with MY dollars!  

I hope they NEVER sell another firearm again!    If enough people object and walk out upon learning about their "store policy", it would either stop, or they would get out of the gun business.  I digress......  

/ Vent Mode
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have two Kimbers that have been absolutely 100%, and both are very accurate.  Guess I got a couple of the good ones!  

In any case, these are both pre-series II, so that may have something to do with it.  I do think the early Kimbers had a better build quality than those that came out around the external extractor fiasco.  Kimber never has been able to get their reputation back since that nightmare.  Since I haven't had any experience with a series II, perhaps that is deserved.  I simply cannot say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kimber
Of the 1911's I have owned they have been the worst for me; now I've never owned a Taurus etc.

I'm going to need you to go ahead pick me up a couple of Power Ball tickets and mail them to Georgia P.O. box #.... Just kidding buddy! Kimber has been capable of putting out a superb pistol that will run like a raped ape for sure! And you are correct about the early Kimbers being hand massaged and being a truly fine product. If I were to have one like yours I would never get rid of it because its a solid piece. My current and only 1911 is a Springer "Loaded" with an "NM" serial number prefix. It serves as my IDPA and the dedicated downstairs/home defense pistol. I shot this pistol so much that the slide stop wore down enough that it could be pushed thru the frame when cocked and locked. (It never caused a malfunction or stopped though.) It happened in competition when I noticed it. When you shoot these things thousands of times parts tend to wear. One call to Springfield and a RMA# was emailed to me. I had my pistol back in about a week with a list of what was replaced/fixed. Springer went thru the whole pistol replacing recoil springs, main spring, firing pin spring, slide stop, permanently pinned the ejector to the frame, etc... Shipping was paid both ways and Sprinfield performed maintenance on parts that I didn't even ask for in my accompanying check list and the pistol came back better than when it was new. That is customer service like I haven't experienced before with anyone except Spikes Tactical, (another fantastic manufacturer.) I won't even go into my experience with "Kimber's" customer service other than their standard SOP seems to be: "Have you got 500 rounds thru it yet?" Sir, it won't chamber a round so... no... "Well when you get 500 rounds thru it and if it's still malfunctioning then you can send it in."
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had an AMT Backup .45 ACP pistol that was surprising good for a backup pistol. It had no sights, just a sight channel, which worked for the short distances that backup pistols are meant to be employed under. And, for the small size, it had surprisingly light recoil firing the .45ACP cartridges. The only thing I didn't like about the AMT Backup was the seriously heavy trigger pull. It had to be about 10lbs and was a long pull also. That's why I sold it. Kinda of wish I had kept it as I haven't seen anymore of them.

More recently, I was interested in the Rohrbach 9mm because of the small size. But, I knew 2 people that bought one and they had problems with the Rohrbach jamming. Never found out if it was the magazines or the gun that caused the jamming issues as they got their money back (brand new guns). I didn't mind the price (about $1,000), just was leery after two new guns from different owners consistently jammed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Originally Posted by GreenBastard:
Anything AMT in stainless, circa 1980s.

I can't  say anything bad about AMT, because back in the later 80's though to the mid 90's I had an AMT Hardballer, and probably

put around 6k trouble free rounds through it, before trading it for a Colt Series 70.  That was a GREAT Trade !  And my 1st Colt !

Actually I wish I still had the hardballer I had back in the day......I traded it for a super Blackhawk 30 years ago

I had an AMT Backup .45 ACP pistol that was surprising good for a backup pistol. It had no sights, just a sight channel, which worked for the short distances that backup pistols are meant to be employed under. And, for the small size, it had surprisingly light recoil firing the .45ACP cartridges. The only thing I didn't like about the AMT Backup was the seriously heavy trigger pull. It had to be about 10lbs and was a long pull also. That's why I sold it. Kinda of wish I had kept it as I haven't seen anymore of them.

More recently, I was interested in the Rohrbach 9mm because of the small size. But, I knew 2 people that bought one and they had problems with the Rohrbach jamming. Never found out if it was the magazines or the gun that caused the jamming issues as they got their money back (brand new guns). I didn't mind the price (about $1,000), just was leery after two new guns from different owners consistently jammed.  

Those go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
For those defending Colt. My dad owned a series 70 in 9mm . It was horrible and would not run a full mag without 2 or 3 malfunctions per mag. He took it to the Colt armorer at the old Mid winter matches in Lakeland Fl. After the armorer worked on the gun he suggested that dad sell the gun.  The gun was better but would choke on at least 1 round per mag at best and usually more . Dad sold it
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Kimber doesn't even believe in their own product. To be fair I did get one  lemon Springfield new in box that they replaced for me outright.

Look at the warranty.

Kimber  - 1 year

Taurus  - unlimited lifetime

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kimber

Kimber doesn't even believe in their own product. To be fair I did get one  lemon Springfield new in box that they replaced for me outright.

Look at the warranty.

Kimber  - 1 year

Came in here to say Kimber. I would take a Taurus over that overpriced junk.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#21]
thats some funny shit there.all the kimbers ive known have been great shooters and stone cold reliable.you guys must bethinking of sti
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

thats some funny shit there.all the kimbers ive known have been great shooters and stone cold reliable.you guys must bethinking of sti
View Quote
Wish I could say that.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the point of the bash fest? Just a post to make a post or are you wanting to buy a 1911?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kimber

Kimber doesn't even believe in their own product. To be fair I did get one  lemon Springfield new in box that they replaced for me outright.           These are not my words or part of my post.  Someone added them with out asking me. //Maxima2//

Look at the warranty.

Kimber  - 1 year

Someone added words to my post, I did not post that part.  

Put your words in your own post block - don't make up things and have it look like I said it..

Truth:  Springfield didn't replace a thing.  

I
bought a Springfield R.O. and it's trigger turned to crap in 150
rounds.  Yea, that "new gun" good feeling didn't last too long.  The disconnector had a groove worn in it from the flatspring
because they use crappy parts that look cast or MIM.  I put a Cylinder
and Slide trigger kit in it that I had on hand and now have a great gun
with an awesome trigger.  I did not call Springfield because I did not
want more crap parts in an otherwise fine gun.  New trigger measures 3.5
lb pull.  Can't beat that.  That is how it should have been in the
first place.

I have no doubt that Springfield would have fixed the problem if I had asked them.  I chose not to even ask.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Auto Ordnance has always had a shottie reputation.

I don't know if Kahr has improved them after they bought the company, but they should have dropped that name like a bad habit.

View Quote
I had an older 1993 vintage AO 1911A1...it ran like a champ.  I lightly polished the throat...polished the sear and trigger...and fitted an NM Bushing...and added Millet sights...was a good shooter.  I shot all manner of hollow points...SWC etc. and never had any issues with it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]
i dont know if they made whole pistols, but essex frames are absolute garbage,
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top