Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2016 8:43:21 PM EDT
Who is currently THE worst 1911 mfgr out there now? The Hi-Point equivalent of the 1911, IOW.

No poll, because I don't really know whom to list. Let's add they have to be sold nationwide to make it fair.

Go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything AMT in stainless, circa 1980s.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't Llama pretty bad?
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I always thought para ordnance sucked. The percentage of returns for issues compared to sales was pretty high.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always thought para ordnance sucked. The percentage of returns for issues compared to sales was pretty high.

View Quote

My Canadian P-14 ran and ran and ran. Thousands of rounds and never a problem. The N.C. guns on the other hand I can't comment on with any first hand knowledge but I've read plenty of horror stories. Probably a contributing factor to them going out of business.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My Charles Daly 1911 is so far out of spec standard 1911 grips won't fit.

The rear sight fell the fuck off.

3-4 jams per mag was common.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Auto Ordnance has always had a shottie reputation.

I don't know if Kahr has improved them after they bought the company, but they should have dropped that name like a bad habit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Taurus?

HiPoints can take 1911 mags now:

http://thingmeister.yolasite.com/products.php

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Llama

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Llama

View Quote

They really aren't 1911's though, they just sorta look like them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Did Hesse or whatever front he is running under now,  ever make 1911's,
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Taurus?

View Quote

To be fair, I'm amazed that I've never heard a bad thing about them from the owners. I'd never own any Taurus, but they might have actually gotten that one right.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Taurus?

View Quote

Are you guessing Taurus?

Or do you actually have experience with them?

I have 2 and they are accurate and unstoppable - zero problems.

They are a heck of a buy for the price point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you guessing Taurus?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Taurus?

Are you guessing Taurus?

I'm guessing.  I sell 'em.  My general rule w/ Taurus is if they copied something, it's probably decent.  If they designed the trigger, don't shake the gun.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm guessing.  I sell 'em.  My general rule w/ Taurus is if they copied something, it's probably decent.  If they designed the trigger, don't shake the gun.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you guessing Taurus?

Mine worked like a champ.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted by GreenBastard:
View Quote

I can't  say anything bad about AMT, because back in the later 80's though to the mid 90's I had an AMT Hardballer, and probably

put around 6k trouble free rounds through it, before trading it for a Colt Series 70.  That was a GREAT Trade !  And my 1st Colt !

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
colt

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are you guessing Taurus?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taurus?

Are you guessing Taurus?

Round count?
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you guessing Taurus?

I have 2 of them.  One a blued .45 and the other a stainless 9mm.  The .45 is awesome and very accurate-only complaint was the ambi safety broke one leg so I installed a right handed safety.  The 9mm shoots low so I have to change the front sight post when I finally get around to it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Round count?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taurus?

Are you guessing Taurus?

Round count?

About 1.5k on the blued and 2k on the stainless.

Only part changed is the thumb safety to a single side on the stainless for a laser grip.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The day I bought my Springfield LW Operator, I was visiting with the guy that waited on me, and he showed me a Para that they had that had a fairly lousy lockup. When I pushed down on the barrel in the ejection port, I could feel a noticeable thunk. It didn't move much, but you could feel it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My Canadian P-14 ran and ran and ran. Thousands of rounds and never a problem. The N.C. guns on the other hand I can't comment on with any first hand knowledge but I've read plenty of horror stories. Probably a contributing factor to them going out of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm only a sample of one, but my early P-12 LDA has been nothing but dependable. My son's Para Carry has been good, but I've found it to be more subject to limp-wristing malfunctions if I'm not paying attention.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
colt

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Kimber
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have 2 of them.  One a blued .45 and the other a stainless 9mm.  The .45 is awesome and very accurate-only complaint was the ambi safety broke one leg so I installed a right handed safety.  The 9mm shoots low so I have to change the front sight post when I finally get around to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you guessing Taurus?

Can't just file it down?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
colt

+1

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can't  say anything bad about AMT, because back in the later 80's though to the mid 90's I had an AMT Hardballer, and probably

put around 6k trouble free rounds through it, before trading it for a Colt Series 70.  That was a GREAT Trade !  And my 1st Colt !

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually I wish I still had the hardballer I had back in the day......I traded it for a super Blackhawk 30 years ago
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Auto Ordnance has always had a shottie reputation.

I don't know if Kahr has improved them after they bought the company, but they should have dropped that name like a bad habit.
View Quote

I won a Kahr made AO and the only real problem it had was a bur on the trigger that gave it about a 20 lb trigger pull, but after fixing that it was fine. The one I've had the most problems with was either a Sig GSR or a Kimber. The Kimber just needed the extractor tuned and the GSR the back sight came off a couple times and the pin holding the extractor kept coming out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#28]
The first "worst 1911 manufacturer" that comes to my mind is "Llama." I don't know of any other 1911 manufacturers that are of lower quality. If ProMag manufactured 1911 pistols, they would receive my vote as their magazines (rifle and pistol) are notoriously consistent in jamming (at least all of their rifle and pistol magazines that I have tried). Other manufacturers (I don't know if they manufacture 1911 pistols) that I would stay far away from their products are- Hesse Arms aka Vulcan aka whatever name change they are hiding their  products under now (seems like they change their name after their products are proven to be out of spec) and Century Arms (50-50 as to whether there products are out of spec or not).
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually I wish I still had the hardballer I had back in the day......I traded it for a super Blackhawk 30 years ago
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an AMT Backup .45 ACP pistol that was surprising good for a backup pistol. It had no sights, just a sight channel, which worked for the short distances that backup pistols are meant to be employed under. And, for the small size, it had surprisingly light recoil firing the .45ACP cartridges. The only thing I didn't like about the AMT Backup was the seriously heavy trigger pull. It had to be about 10lbs and was a long pull also. That's why I sold it. Kinda of wish I had kept it as I haven't seen anymore of them.

More recently, I was interested in the Rohrbach 9mm because of the small size. But, I knew 2 people that bought one and they had problems with the Rohrbach jamming. Never found out if it was the magazines or the gun that caused the jamming issues as they got their money back (brand new guns). I didn't mind the price (about $1,000), just was leery after two new guns from different owners consistently jammed.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you guessing Taurus?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taurus?

Are you guessing Taurus?

A friend of mine has one, and it shoots really nicely.

I have never experienced a problem any time we have gone shooting.

I was surprised, actually.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#31]
There is a name that is conspicuous here by its absence.

Maybe that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  The first "worst 1911 manufacturer" that comes to my mind is "Llama." I don't know of any other 1911 manufacturers that are of lower quality. If ProMag manufactured 1911 pistols, they would receive my vote as their magazines (rifle and pistol) are notoriously consistent in jamming (at least all of their rifle and pistol magazines that I have tried). Other manufacturers (I don't know if they manufacture 1911 pistols) that I would stay far away from their products are- Hesse Arms aka Vulcan aka whatever name change they are hiding their  products under now (seems like they change their name after their products are proven to be out of spec) and Century Arms (50-50 as to whether there products are out of spec or not).
View Quote

As far as I'm aware, Llama never made a 1911.  They made .45" ACP pistols that looked like 1911s, but I don't think any of the parts were interchangeable.  Also true of Star & Astra, I believe.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As far as I'm aware, Llama never made a 1911.  They made .45" ACP pistols that looked like 1911s, but I don't think any of the parts were interchangeable.  Also true of Star & Astra, I believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The first "worst 1911 manufacturer" that comes to my mind is "Llama." I don't know of any other 1911 manufacturers that are of lower quality. If ProMag manufactured 1911 pistols, they would receive my vote as their magazines (rifle and pistol) are notoriously consistent in jamming (at least all of their rifle and pistol magazines that I have tried). Other manufacturers (I don't know if they manufacture 1911 pistols) that I would stay far away from their products are- Hesse Arms aka Vulcan aka whatever name change they are hiding their  products under now (seems like they change their name after their products are proven to be out of spec) and Century Arms (50-50 as to whether there products are out of spec or not).

Some of the parts on the old Llama's are interchangeable with a true 1911 but not all.

I know this because I have an old Llama that is a Vietnam War bring back (got the papers) and it needed a thumb safety which is not interchangeable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:05:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who is currently THE worst 1911 mfgr out there now? The Hi-Point equivalent of the 1911, IOW.

No poll, because I don't really know whom to list. Let's add they have to be sold nationwide to make it fair.

Go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#35]
IMO its Ed Brown Products;  because you pay a lot of money for their product, but in the unlikely event you get the inevitable turd that very manufacturer builds from time to time, or a unit with a horribly blended, uncomfortable to shoot,  grip safety; you're likely to be told that you're  on your own.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I've seen some real junk that said Para Ordnance on the side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Taurus?

View Quote

The Taurus PT1911 I had was more reliable than my Dan Wesson CBOB.......
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#38]
The 1911 I've had the most problems with is a Remington R-1 Enhanced.  Just can not get it to run reliably.  It's something to do with the fire control group, but I've already taken the Series 80 parts out and changed the hammer and sear.  Fairly reliably the hammer will not fall all the way at lest once per magazine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
colt

+1

I had three Colts that required extensive tuning.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wasn't Llama pretty bad?
View Quote

My rimfire Llama from the '60s is still running great.  The Triple K mag runs better than the OEM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

To be fair, I'm amazed that I've never heard a bad thing about them from the owners. I'd never own any Taurus, but they might have actually gotten that one right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taurus?

My Taurus had a a problem with light strikes from the factory. I sent it in and they fixed it, no questions asked.

After about a 500 round break in period it runs flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

colt

+1

I've had 5 that never needed a single thing done to them. 100% reliable out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Taurus
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I had an AMT Backup .45 ACP pistol that was surprising good for a backup pistol. It had no sights, just a sight channel, which worked for the short distances that backup pistols are meant to be employed under. And, for the small size, it had surprisingly light recoil firing the .45ACP cartridges. The only thing I didn't like about the AMT Backup was the seriously heavy trigger pull. It had to be about 10lbs and was a long pull also. That's why I sold it. Kinda of wish I had kept it as I haven't seen anymore of them.

More recently, I was interested in the Rohrbach 9mm because of the small size. But, I knew 2 people that bought one and they had problems with the Rohrbach jamming. Never found out if it was the magazines or the gun that caused the jamming issues as they got their money back (brand new guns). I didn't mind the price (about $1,000), just was leery after two new guns from different owners consistently jammed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up a AMT Combat Gov 1911 last weekend, for just under $300 took it to the range yesterday and was really happy with it.  Fired great no issues so far so good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Kimber
View Quote
Of the 1911's I have owned they have been the worst for me; now I've never owned a Taurus etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Of the 1911's I have owned they have been the worst for me; now I've never owned a Taurus etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kimber

Kimber is a 50/50 brand as I see it. You have a 50% chance of getting a damned good one; and 50% chance of getting a turd... A lot of their customers will only fire 4-5 mags thru one a year and never have enough rounds thru one to ever see a problem. Then you have the one's that won't fire a full magazine without a stove pipe, nose dive, or failure to battery... Those get sent back pretty quick! But Kimber sure spends a lot of money on advertising and they sure come out of the box pretty...  I'd keep a good one if I knew the history beforehand but I will never buy a NIB Kimber...
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Kimber is a 50/50 brand as I see it. You have a 50% chance of getting a damned good one; and 50% chance of getting a turd... A lot of their customers will only fire 4-5 mags thru one a year and never have enough rounds thru one to ever see a problem. Then you have the one's that won't fire a full magazine without a stove pipe, nose dive, or failure to battery... Those get sent back pretty quick! But Kimber sure spends a lot of money on advertising and they sure come out of the box pretty...  I'd keep a good one if I knew the history beforehand but I will never buy a NIB Kimber...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kimber

I agree with this.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kimber

Kimber doesn't even believe in their own product.

Look at the warranty.

Kimber  - 1 year

Taurus  - unlimited lifetime

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The 1911 I've had the most problems with is a Remington R-1 Enhanced.  Just can not get it to run reliably.  It's something to do with the fire control group, but I've already taken the Series 80 parts out and changed the hammer and sear.  Fairly reliably the hammer will not fall all the way at lest once per magazine.
View Quote

Could it be hitting an adjustable rear sight?  Had that happen with  an early Colt series 70 that had an adjustable rear added.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is a name that is conspicuous here by its absence.

Maybe that is a good thing.
View Quote

You referring to Springfield? I have a full size Loaded, and never had an issue out of it. Love mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top