Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
PPS
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Shield.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Wanted a Remington  R51, but based on all the reported issues my next pistol is going to be a Shield.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot the Shield, Nano and XDs. The Shield felt the best in my hands.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Kahr
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Poll fail.

Kahr Arms
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]
P7,
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guns don't belong in pockets.  There is the obvious solution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, poll fail...

No Walther PPS in the running.

It's the best choice.

No.

Shot one the other week as a fun store rental to see what I was missing.
Overall it is nice. However using the Glock-striker trigger masquerading as a safety IWB or in pocket gives me chills.
Pass.

DAO Ruger LC9 does it smarter for less.

Smith and Colt DAO wheelguns have done well there for decades.

DAO autos should have a pocket holster since they aren't as lint friendly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my S&W shield, it was good before the APEX trigger, now it is Amazing.  It disappears when carried, the safety has never unintentionally come one.  ( I have used it a couple times when taking the weapon off and throwing it in a bag while on a trip. My only complaint is that the mag release rusts if you do not keep it oiled.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, poll fail...

It's the best choice.

No.

Overall it is nice. However using the Glock-striker trigger masquerading as a safety IWB or in pocket gives me chills.
Pass.

We are talking about guns with far lighter triggers with shorter pulls
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shield
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, poll fail...

It's the best choice.
No.

Pass.

I assume you are talking about Glock-like striker fired guns, which really arent what I'd consider true DA/SA or DAO anyway. DA/SA and DAO are fine in a pocket. Striker guns with preloaded firing pin springs and short triggers, no.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I assume you are talking about Glock-like striker fired guns, which really arent what I'd consider true DA/SA or DAO anyway. DA/SA and DAO are fine in a pocket. Striker guns with preloaded firing pin springs and short triggers, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
Yup, poll fail...

It's the best choice.

Pass.

Sort of agree

Don't think most people have the discipline to keep other items out of pockets in pocket carry

And too much dust/lint

Pocket holster makes things ok though IMO.   Desantis nemesis is a good one
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Kahr CM9.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Your poll is silly.  Best option not listed
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Mk9
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#18]
In case you missed it the first dozen times, PPS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Sig P239
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Of these the Nano.  But in real life I have a DB9 with 3 improved magazines I carry now.  I am picking up a SIG 290 next week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sort of agree

Don't think most people have the discipline to keep other items out of pockets in pocket carry

And too much dust/lint

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of agree

And too much dust/lint

I pocket carried a LCP until the end of last year in a Recluse holster.
It was one sided ( outside)  leather holster with a trigger block. Very secure, safe and fast, but yeah, it filled the LCP with lint fairly quickly.
Had to clean/lube it every 2-3 weeks. Also, the lube made that pocket unusable for nicer things if the pants weren't washed first.

Keeping other things out of that pocket became such a habit that it felt weird when I stopped carrying the LCP.
I was constantly getting that subconscious tick that I was forgetting something.

Best part about the LCP/Recluse was that even with somewhat tight pants, it looked like a smart phone in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My mother bought a Beretta Nano as her first pistol purchase.  Didn't know exactly what to think about it.  But after shooting it I must say I was impressed.  Trigger is fairly long and stiff, but not overly so.  And considering the pistols small size it's shot much above it's weight.  I was getting great groups with it.  And I can appreciate the long steel slide rail inserts in the frame.  Very well made pistol.  If I had a complaint, it would be that I wished it would field strip without a tool of any kind.  I don't care for the "insert coin or whatever is handy and twist" feature they have as of now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Kahr P-9, PPS, Shield.

In that order.  Poll is FUBAR
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 42.  The thing I don't like about it however, is that the magazine is needlessly bulky and should hold 8 rounds for it's size instead of 6.  And yes it's in 380 instead of 9mm.   But I liked shooting the 42 much better than my lcp and lc9 hence more confidence that I could use it in a situation.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Shield or PPS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#26]
G26 would be a better choice but not on list because it's a double stack.  Shield is next best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I have owned and actively shot all but 1 of those on your list. Shield is by far the best for me: ergonomics, controls, reliability. It replaced my GLOCK 26, which replaced my PPS, which replaced my Kahr.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#28]
PPS
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Shield. I'm wearing one right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Poll fail.

Kahr Arms
View Quote

yeah this poll sucks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Find another gun shop. You have not included some of the best for both carry and reliability. I have had several Kahr pistols, one of the best is the PM9 both for size and reliability. I traded it off a few years ago when I got away from the 9mm line of handguns. I just purchased a Sig 290rs which is another good contender that you also left off your list. The PPS is another good one to look at again not on your list. Check around before you limit yourself to the ones listed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I voted for and carry a shield.   I like the trigger and feel of my XDm's better than the shield. I installed the apex carry kit but still prefer the XDm's. It might be a grass is greener over there thing but I am very curious about the XDs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#33]
All of them have some nagging idiosyncrasies it seems.

Some recent PPSs have seemed to have some QC issues, trigger and reset problems. The recent ones I've tried the trigger pull is pretty crappy. The slide stop is also very badly positioned and preclude a standard thumbs-forward firing grip.  The finger bumps and texture on the frontstrap are very irritating to me and mess up my grip.

The Shield feels a little weird in my hand, and the frontstrap feels too narrow for a good grip and is irritating.  With the Apex parts the trigger pull and feel is near perfection for the application, and that's a huge plus.

Couple of new contenders on the market are the Remington R51 and the Walther CCP.  Both have real issues with the trigger (IMO) which preclude them from serious consideration - both have extremely weak trigger reset and require the trigger to be completely released between shots.  In it's short time on the market the R51 has seemed to have some function/mechanical issues.  The CCP has a manual safety, but unlike the Shield there is no trigger safety so it's not as straightforward to ignore the thumb safety.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
After looking at all of them, the wife has a Shield on the way (will be here tomorrow).  We'll see how it goes.  If I was picking one out for myself I'd have probably gone with the new 4" XDS.
View Quote

I love the Shield in .40 cal. The recoil is minimal, it's accurate, extremely reliable, and has better ergonomics for me than anything else mentioned in this thread. So I'm pretty sure your going to enjoy it in 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Not until June or July.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

All of them have some nagging idiosyncrasies it seems.

Some recent PPSs have seemed to have some QC issues, trigger and reset problems. The recent ones I've tried the trigger pull is pretty crappy. The slide stop is also very badly positioned and preclude a standard thumbs-forward firing grip.  The finger bumps and texture on the frontstrap are very irritating to me and mess up my grip.

The Shield feels a little weird in my hand, and the frontstrap feels too narrow for a good grip and is irritating.  With the Apex parts the trigger pull and feel is near perfection for the application, and that's a huge plus.

Couple of new contenders on the market are the Remington R51 and the Walther CCP.  Both have real issues with the trigger (IMO) which preclude them from serious consideration - both have extremely weak trigger reset and require the trigger to be completely released between shots.  In it's short time on the market the R51 has seemed to have some function/mechanical issues.  The CCP has a manual safety, but unlike the Shield there is no trigger safety so it's not as straightforward to ignore the thumb safety.
View Quote
I am curious what you mean by reset problems.  Is the reset just crappy?  Is it gritty?  

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But somehow people are already bagging on the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not until June or July.

Reports from the NRA Show at Indy is where this comes from.

It should be noted that none of the CCPs in the Walther booth had firing pins installed, so that may have some impact on the reports.

I"d say wait until they hit the streets and reports from respected folks are out.

One of the WaltherForums regulars compared it to a PPX trigger, and said the slide racks more like a .22 than a 9mm, which was one of the major design goals of the CCP, along with low felt recoil.

Still it's slotted in the lineup as an entry level carry gun, aimed primarily at the growing number of females getting their CCWs.  It's not intended as an advanced shooter's tool.

I'll be keeping my PPS and P99c for carry.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Kahr CW9/P9
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It should be noted that none of the CCPs in the Walther booth had firing pins installed, so that may have some impact on the reports.

I"d say wait until they hit the streets and reports from respected folks are out.

One of the WaltherForums regulars compared it to a PPX trigger, and said the slide racks more like a .22 than a 9mm, which was one of the major design goals of the CCP, along with low felt recoil.

Still it's slotted in the lineup as an entry level carry gun, aimed primarily at the growing number of females getting their CCWs.  It's not intended as an advanced shooter's tool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not until June or July.

It's also going to be made by Umarex

yeah, I'll stick with my old S&W third gen single stack or Glock 26.  All of the single stack 9mm's seem to have issues, or are not sturdy enough to train with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#42]
My PPS has been flawless, and it's quite accurate as well.

The problem with the internet is that people who are happy with their gun/car/appliance/whatever, rarely post to say so.  That leaves the general minority of unhappy users posting about their problems, many of which are self inflicted wounds, or just bitching to get attention, or the rants of brand addicted fan boys.

It's a jungle out here really.  And I am not discounting all the issues with say, the R-51.  

Too many products these days are rushed to market with only a bare minimum of testing and bug fixing.  

I blame the bean counters.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's one that doesn't get talked about much.  Bersa BP9CC.  Great grip, great feel, perfect size IMO.  Idiosyncrasies are a magazine disconnect that appears to be not viable to remove, an odd pivoting trigger that gives some extra takeup to the trigger pull, a too-light factory trigger (probably never heard that before), and a somewhat obtrusive slide stop.

Maybe Apex will make a trigger and trigger pull like the Shield kit for it.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some recent PPSs have seemed to have some QC issues, trigger and reset problems. .
View Quote
I am curious what you mean by reset problems.  Is the reset just crappy?  Is it gritty?  
View Quote

There were several reports of pistols that had to go in for service because the triggers just failed, apparently they would not reset at all.  I haven't seen that extreme, but have seen noticeable variation in the reset distance and feel between different examples of recent production PPS along with significant variations in trigger pull.  Recent ones are just not like the earlier production models.
Quoted:
View Quote

They had quite a few of them at the NRA show for the launch.  The lack of reset was described as an intentional design decision.  It's not that companies couldn't make a decent trigger, they just build to incorrect design goals.
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't abide anything intended as a CCW gun that is an intentionally dumbed-down firearm.  Carry is serious business. Virtually any training course is going to cover proper trigger manipulation and trigger reset, that's been the norm in shooting for 15 years or more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There were several reports of pistols that had to go in for service because the triggers just failed, apparently they would not reset at all.  I haven't seen that extreme, but have seen noticeable variation in the reset distance and feel between different examples of recent production PPS along with significant variations in trigger pull.  Recent ones are just not like the earlier production models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some recent PPSs have seemed to have some QC issues, trigger and reset problems. .

I've seen two variants of the problem. One is where a low round count gun just has the trigger stop resetting reliably. The other is the same problem that starts around 5000 rounds. I think some of the specs are just too tight on the internals and internal (basically uncleanable) dirt/buildup or wear starts to affect it. This is why we switched to the P99c AS. My concern is that there is no indication from Walther of the actual problem or a redesign with the parts. The internals just get replaced. So what happens in another 5000 rounds?

I checked the Walther Forums and 2013 guns are still having trigger reset issues and everybody seems down on the new manufacture trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You forgot the best one.

The Walther PPS
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Kahr FTW
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I voted Shield, BUT the PPS is great too (For the same 7rd capacity it's a bit larger--and longer--but I just don't like the feel of the grip as much--and the paddle-mag-release was too stiff, though I'm sure it loosens up--or could be loosened).  I hate grip-safeties on carry-guns, so the XDS is out for me.
IF you can deal with the long trigger pull and long reset, the P9/CW9 is solid...they've probably even got the PM9/CM9 100% now too (it's been like 6 years--they better have, for what they charge).  

For the value, I think the Shield wins.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#48]
PPS!

Quoted:
Your poll is silly.  Best option not listed
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top