Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2015 1:39:29 PM EDT
I have a customized FM Detective up for sale on another site, but despite a lot of views, no one is making offers.  I have priced it at $800(what I paid), $750, $700, $600 and have offered to trade for a G19 Gen4.  Am I priced too high?  Are these not in demand anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a guess, since I haven't seen the gun or ad, but I suspect...

... that right there may be your problem.

In my experience (and YMMV), it is easier to get your money (or most of it) back out of a stock firearm than one that has been customized UNLESS you happen to find just the right buyer who appreciates most or all of the mods and/or your price is very low when the gun and work are taken into consideration.

JMHO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just a guess, since I haven't seen the gun or ad, but I suspect...

Quoted:
... customized...

... that right there may be your problem.

In my experience (and YMMV), it is easier to get your money (or most of it) back out of a stock firearm than one that has been customized UNLESS you happen to find just the right buyer who appreciates most or all of the mods and/or your price is very low when the gun and work are taken into consideration.

JMHO.

You might be right.  I bought it customized and the only thing I did was have it Cerakoted (two tone, tastefully) because a gun cleaner I was using blasted the finish off of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check the Equipment Exchange here to get an idea of the current market. The FM detective is a argentine made clone. Most stock genuine used Browning /FN Hi Powers  are going in the $650 range  the last time I looked. With NIB Hi Powers going for 1K , a $800 clone is going to be a tough sell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I would check the Equipment Exchange here to get an idea of the current market. The FM detective is a argentine made clone. Most stock genuine used Browning /FN Hi Powers  are going in the $650 range  the last time I looked. With NIB Hi Powers going for 1K , a $800 clone is going to be a tough sell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Would like to see it? Where is it posted or can you send me some pics?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
honestly, for me it's the two tone you did. color change is a very subjective thing, especially a two tone. just be patient, there's someone out there looking for your exact spec. Just don't charge too much and consider your losses as simply a fee for renting the fun you had with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a customized FM Detective up for sale on another site, but despite a lot of views, no one is making offers. I have priced it at $800(what I paid), $750, $700, $600 and have offered to trade for a G19 Gen4.  Am I priced too high?  Are these not in demand anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

Ouch.   I paid $349 for mine when they were available mainstream retail.     I guess it depends how much money you have in "custom work".     A $20,000 car with $10k in customwork still sells for less than $20k.   You rarely ever make money back on custom work unless it's a renowned smith with a long waiting list.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you sell it yet? Have pics?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I did finally sell it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ouch.   I paid $349 for mine when they were available mainstream retail.     I guess it depends how much money you have in "custom work".     A $20,000 car with $10k in customwork still sells for less than $20k.   You rarely ever make money back on custom work unless it's a renowned smith with a long waiting list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a customized FM Detective up for sale on another site, but despite a lot of views, no one is making offers. I have priced it at $800(what I paid), $750, $700, $600 and have offered to trade for a G19 Gen4.  Am I priced too high?  Are these not in demand anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.

Just gave $349 + tax for my LNIB FM Hi Power yesterday. It seems like a solid, well built handgun. Still, I had trouble justifying the $349 when an Israeli FN can, last time I checked, be had for around $500 on Gunbroker.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
$300 used gun + $500 customization  = <$300 gun, not an $800 gun.  This is especially true with a no-name oddball like an Argentine HP clone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
$300 used gun + $500 customization  = <$300 gun, not an $800 gun.  This is especially true with a no-name oddball like an Argentine HP clone.
View Quote

yup

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top