Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 12:34:33 AM EDT
Take extended mag sleeves off, then train.

So apparently the base plates, and the sleeves on the extended mags, act as the magazine stop.

I was doing various reloading drills. After a little while, slide was binding. I took the slide off without issue, looked at the rails, saw nothing. Went to reassemble and couldn't. Looked why, the ejector was twisted and bent upward.

So best I can figure, it was using the mags without the sleeves.

Guns should be soldier proof, but this isn't even civy proof; so for that, I'll contact S&W for it, though I could replace the ejector myself.

But, LESSON LEARNT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully it won't be expensive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully it won't be expensive.
View Quote
My first guess is that they'll cover it under warranty.

It could actually be me using umph on mag changes, over the course of the last 5 years...

But I have full sized and compact M&P's too. I'll have to look and see if they are taking the same damage, as I've used full sized mags in the compact some.

I'll also have to stop carry an extra full sized mag when I carry the compact. Don't need to be in the middle of a fight and break my gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Well hopefully it's all covered and you haven't forked up any other guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Definately NOT trying to be funny or an ass, but i wonder if this issue has ever been duplicated in a glock. Many people who carry a 26 use 17 or 19 mags as the backup. Also use the larger mags at the range. Interesting issue to run into. At least, like u said it didn't occur at an "oh shit" moment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Double stacks you can't really over insert mags. On single stacks however it's very easy to over insert your mags and cause problems. I would recommend using the spacer on your mags, but glue them in place so they don't move around on ya.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#6]
M&P's are ridiculously easy to work on. I'd see if S&W will just send the part. They've done it for me before
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
M&P's are ridiculously easy to work on. I'd see if S&W will just send the part. They've done it for me before
View Quote
Really?? That's good to hear. I was actually thinking about telling them to cancel the label and buy a replacement. Saves 3-5 weeks of carrying the m&p40c.

I can do the work no problem. Have 99% disassembled a couple m&p's now. Everything but the front sight. I'd prefer this to explaining the disabled safety lever and removed sear disconnect lever...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Double stacks you can't really over insert mags. On single stacks however it's very easy to over insert your mags and cause problems. I would recommend using the spacer on your mags, but glue them in place so they don't move around on ya.
View Quote
Uh, if I'm remembering right... The USP on my thigh, my M&Ps, my XD, XDm, etc...

The mag well was straight walled, no taper to match the magazine.

Shields aren't true single or double stack. Slightly enlarged for a slight stagger.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The manual says not to do what you did. I guess reading is for fags
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
New theory...

I paid my Shield, to include the mag catch button. Maybe the paint is slowing it down enough to miss the slot on the mag body? But a fast insert would do that anyway I'd think, hence the magazine stop function, and letting the mag catch engage as the mag comes back out slightly?

I'll pull the mag catch out and get all the paint off the sides of the button part.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Making guns easy and prone to be misused, causing catastrophic breakages. Well, now we know one more reason why Smith & Wesson didn't win a military contract.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Making guns easy and prone to be misused, causing catastrophic breakages. Well, now we know one more reason why Smith & Wesson didn't win a military contract.
View Quote

Was the Shield up for a military contract?
I've used full sized mags in my 9C a lot in training with no issues. I've only usd the 7 rounders in the Shield, I don't even know where my 8's are.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Didn't read or follow instructions that say "don't do X". Does X and blames manufacturer when things don't work right.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of other guns out there will have issues with overinsertion of extended mags, if the spacer bothers you, glue it in place, use 7 rounders or buy a Hyve extension.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#15]
While I dearly love my 9mm Shield, it ain't a Glock.

Glock got the design for their double stack guns right. If you look at a Glock double stack magazine, on the left side at the rear, there is a right angled ledge. That ledge mates up with a similar ledge in the frame, positively preventing overinsertion of a magazine. Because of this, you can carry longer magazines as reloads for shorter guns and not have to worry about damaging the gun from overinserting the magazines.

While I don't really care for the spacer sleeve on the 8 rd Shield mags, I did some looking and checking when I bought mine. Without the spacer, it is possible to overinsert the magazine, which slams into the ejector, leading to damage like the OP found. Because of this, I left the spacers on my 8 rd mags and train to really forcefully slam the magazines in, just in case the spacers have slid down. Myself, I haven't had a problem with this, but I understand some have. I keep toying with the idea of removing the rear part of the spacer so the mags stack evenly in my pocket when carried, then using epoxy to glue the spacer onto the mag body, but I haven't done it yet. I keep hoping that someone will come out with a floor plate that incorporates the spacer, but no one has yet. Seems like an easy thing for a company with the necessary injection molding equipment, maybe the demand just isn't there.

As I see it, you really only have 2 choices- leave the spacers on the mag to prevent damage to the gun, or only carry the flush mags. Not much else you can do.

Bub75
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As I see it, you really only have 2 choices- leave the spacers on the mag to prevent damage to the gun, or only carry the flush mags. Not much else you can do.
Bub75
View Quote
Hyve (or other) extensions, or one of the aftermarket spacer options.

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hyve (or other) extensions, or one of the aftermarket spacer options.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/azwizzard/20160906_182626_zps1ti9qjav.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, I saw the Hyve extensions in another thread below this one. Interesting. Please tell me more about the other aftermarket options. I've done some looking but never found anything. Of course, I haven't looked lately, either. Thanks for any help.

Bub75
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, I saw the Hyve extensions in another thread below this one. Interesting. Please tell me more about the other aftermarket options. I've done some looking but never found anything. Of course, I haven't looked lately, either. Thanks for any help.
Bub75
View Quote
Hyve +2

MagGuts +1 / +2

SSA "Plan B" spacer and base plate (stupid expensive)

Pierce pinky extension for 7rd mag
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/173551_MandP-Shield-9-and--40-extended-mag-sleeve---.html

I glued the sleeve on my 8 rounder and it seems good to go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought 2 spare 8 round factory mags ---they both came with spacers and neither of the spacers move at all, as is, same goes with 8 rounder that came with the gun. You really have to work at it to F-up your gun.

I really don't see what the problem is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought 2 spare 8 round factory mags ---they both came with spacers and neither of the spacers move at all, as is, same goes with 8 rounder that came with the gun. You really have to work at it to F-up your gun.

I really don't see what the problem is.
View Quote
The problem isn't when they are new, it comes after you use them for a while. The little tabs that fit into the little cutouts in the sides of the magazines wear and they don't fit as tightly onto the mags. I carry my spare mags in my pocket, rounds down, and the spacers can occasionally slip down on the mags just from carrying them rounds down in my pocket. Not far and not far enough to cause any problems for me, but it does happen. When they slip down, they can still be tight enough to impede inserting the mags into the gun unless you REALLY slam them in, hard enough to make sure the spacer moves into place and still have enough force to seat the mag.

Although I haven't had much trouble, this is why I was asking above about floor plates with the spacer built in. I really like some of the options presented above but I still think I'm gonna tinker with epoxying the spacer onto the mag body and cutting the rear bulge of the spacer off. This will make the mags stack better for me in my pocket and will work better for my use. What I was really looking for was something like the extended base plates on the extended Kahr mags.

Photo courtesy of the Kahr Arms website

This would be simple and easy. However, since no one makes a floor plate like this, I guess I'll just tinker. Whatever you do, though, don't just remove the spacer. You can overinsert the mag in the gun an damage the ejector, just like the OP.

Bub75
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
You disassembled part of a working gun, continued to use it not reassembled and that's Smith and Wesson's fault? WTF? I guess if you took the lug nuts off of a tire and crashed it you would want that fixed under the warranty too. Part of the problem....
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I've heard it said a G26 is prone to this.  Maybe not as much because of what Bub said, but there is some play in there I think.  

A 1911 with a 10 round mecgar mag will have this issue too.  If you see Wilson Combat puts a big ole 90 degree peice of metal on the front of the mag to prevent over insertion.  Chip McCormack uses that big plastic bottom.  

Not to be a jerk, but I'd say this was a little bit of inexperience and not understanding your gun as well as maybe you should have.   Possibly?  Since it was in the manual......

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-10-Round-Ultra-Thin-Base-Pad/productinfo/47T/

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mag-chip-mccormick-45-acp-10-round-1911-power-mag-stainless-steel-705263151505.do
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You disassembled part of a working gun, continued to use it not reassembled and that's Smith and Wesson's fault? WTF? I guess if you took the lug nuts off of a tire and crashed it you would want that fixed under the warranty too. Part of the problem....
View Quote
Nope, I didn't disassemble a part off of a working gun, but off a working magazine. One that many would assume is merely there to, and that the extended mag only exists to, allow a full grip when you aren't worried about it being as compact as possible.

Now no one that I've spoken to knew that the sleeve/spacer was needed, and the gun would break without it.

And the thread is titled "I Killed My Shield" and not S&W Killed My Shield.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#25]
S&W was up for a military contract. Didn't even make it very far though.

Apparently far from proven design unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I also bent the ejector on my M&P Compact using full sized mags.

With what people assume are compatible magazines, they aren't. With Glocks having the capability, one would assume the M&P's would be fine. But that would be wrong.

Is assuming the only problem? I'd say no.

Ordered an ejector from Brownells for this one. Was here before the Shield one even, which took weeks, and they only cost like $3. Should have saved a ton of time and just ordered from Brownells.

Also ordered a sleeve for a full sized magazine so I could carry it as a spare if I carry the compact.

Lessons all over the place from this one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
If You have a Smith and Wesson Shield, Watch This!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I also bent the ejector on my M&P Compact using full sized mags.

With what people assume are compatible magazines, they aren't. With Glocks having the capability, one would assume the M&P's would be fine. But that would be wrong.

Is assuming the only problem? I'd say no. Many would disagree...

Ordered an ejector from Brownells for this one. Was here before the Shield one even, which took weeks, and they only cost like $3. Should have saved a ton of time and just ordered from Brownells.

Also ordered a sleeve for a full sized magazine so I could carry it as a spare if I carry the compact.

Lessons all over the place from this one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's your point?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Too late for this.

But I think this guy is even unaware this is the case with M&P Compacts as well. Full size mags break them. Not to the point of not functioning, like the Shield, but where the bent ejector is binding some on the slide still.

So we all get to learn about it from personal experience...
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Didn't read or follow instructions that say "don't do X". Does X and blames manufacturer when things don't work right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And thus the billboard rollmarkings of warnings were born.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they would design the magwell to prevent it from happening, the billboard would be unnecessary.

You can slam a Glock mag home because of how the top of the magwell is, regardless of length.....because the top of the mag hits a solid plastic wedge instead of delicate functioning parts.

Not saying S&W's pistols are bad, but in this case......their design lacks this feature......and to me, that's an oversight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Ya, they should have just FIXED the design instead of adding another warning.

Things need to come with two manuals. The normal one, and then a (much shorter) useful one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nutnfancy, is that you?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Guy I know from a local forum did the exact same thing a while back.  You would think that since the extensions are necessary that they would be attached but they are not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And then the tl;dr crowd can complain when they find a way to break their gun that wasn't considered common enough to go on the "useful" instructions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The normal one, and then a (much shorter) useful one.
And then the tl;dr crowd can complain when they find a way to break their gun that wasn't considered common enough to go on the "useful" instructions.
You know, I don't miss being out of the business.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
same. Usually free shipping to boot!
S&W's customer service is the standard other companies should strive for
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
While I dearly love my 9mm Shield, it ain't a Glock.

Bub75
View Quote
That's exactly why we bought it

Also yeah, the manual says not to do that. This thread is dildos.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
same. Usually free shipping to boot!
S&W's customer service is the standard other companies should strive for
View Quote
Ya... no.

I had a Bodyguard that the magazine couldn't be inserted unless you depress the mag release, no matter how hard your pushed or hit it. Called them up, had to send the gun in etc etc. When I asked if it was common, having already read online a TON of people with the issue, guy says it never happens.

For the replacement ejector... they forgot about me until I called them like 3 weeks later and then they finally shipped it. I should have just bought the part for $3 off Brownells like I did for the compact.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's exactly why we bought it

Also yeah, the manual says not to do that. This thread is dildos.
View Quote
Anyone who says that using full sized mags in compacts, and extended mags without the sleeve that never stays seated, is uncommon or stupid... is LYING.

I'm calling you and others in this thread LIARS.

For a gun that has 'This firearm can be fired without a magazine inserted' stenciled and paint filled on the side of the slide.... you'd think they'd trying to bring actual relevant info to the front.

This is where most modern manuals fail, and no one reads them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:49:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nutnfancy, is that you?
View Quote
Ha! Most of you people are more like Nutnfancy than I am.

I believe we should makes guns to shoot quality brass cased ammo. Not junk from a junk making country.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Operator error. I fail to see the problem.  Reading your manual would only take a fraction of the time as it's taken to create and respond to everyone in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#45]
This thread careened away from productivity a while ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top