Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2017 2:09:33 PM EDT
SUCKS!  

Why won't S&W fix this?  

It is a crappy design.  If the sleeve slides up the mag it won't insert properly when loading the mag.  

This is a serious problem and very poor design.  

They did it right on the Shield 45 extended mag.  

Was ready to by a Shield 9 until I found this problem.  S&W, fix this problem and maybe I will buy a Shield 9.  

What the hell S&W?!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a poor design but can be overcome with a little epoxy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a horseshit poor design.  Makes me reconsider my original choice.  Ruger LC9s Pro is looking solid right now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Non existent problem for me.  
I carry a Shield 9mm on duty, and have to not only qualify but train with it as well.  Two handed reloads, one handed reloads, shooting from cover, judgmental shooting with nary a problem.  My 8 round mag sleeves aren't glued, and the mags have always seated just fine.

Stripping the mags weak handed is a pain in the thigh, but it can be done and I like the pistol so well I can overlook it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like the design but I have never had an issue with seating mags because of it.  I have initially pulled the sleeve out of place during practice and still have never had an issue.  

I did decide to glue the sleeve in place anyway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three 8 rounders for my Shield 9.  Never have had an issue with the sleeves.  Have done normal slow reloads and many fast ones on the range, training, qualification for off duty carry, etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't like the design but I have never had an issue with seating mags because of it.  I have initially pulled the sleeve out of place during practice and still have never had an issue.  

I did decide to glue the sleeve in place anyway.
View Quote

What kind of glue did you use?  Glued it to the base and the mag?  I suppose no real need to ever take the base off anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I used locktight go2 general purpose glue.  Its basically a slow setting super glue and give you more time to get it in the proper place.

I glued the sleeve to the mag body so I can still remove the baseplate to clean the mags.  I tilted the sleeve so it has a gap at the front and back, put glue in the gap and then tilted the sleeve back in place.  After I got the sleeve where I wanted it down against the baseplate I remove the base plate and wiped off the excess glue.  This was done without the spring and follower to make the baseplate easier to get off and on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...I glued the sleeve to the mag body so I can still remove the baseplate to clean the mags...
View Quote

Great idea.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used locktight go2 general purpose glue.  Its basically a slow setting super glue and give you more time to get it in the proper place.

I glued the sleeve to the mag body so I can still remove the baseplate to clean the mags.  I tilted the sleeve so it has a gap at the front and back, put glue in the gap and then tilted the sleeve back in place.  After I got the sleeve where I wanted it down against the baseplate I remove the base plate and wiped off the excess glue.  This was done without the spring and follower to make the baseplate easier to get off and on.
View Quote

This is great.  Thank you.  Received my CCW not too long ago and trying to work things out.  

Shield 9 now back on my list, will definitely do this with the extended mag if I go this way.  Have to say the LC9s Pro looks really good too, although extended mag is extra $ but it is 9 rounds while the Shield is 8 rounds.  LCP II will be for BUG.  

Carrying either with extended mags is my interest.  Comments welcome...
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:52:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is great.  Thank you.  Received my CCW not too long ago and trying to work things out.  

Shield 9 now back on my list, will definitely do this with the extended mag if I go this way.  Have to say the LC9s Pro looks really good too, although extended mag is extra $ but it is 9 rounds while the Shield is 8 rounds.  LCP II will be for BUG.  

Carrying either with extended mags is my interest.  Comments welcome...
View Quote

I don't have experience with them, but I think MagGuts will give you +1 with the factory baseplate or +2 with their baseplate that adds ~1/4". That would put the Shield at 9-10 rounds with the "8rd mag".
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I just removed the sleeves from my mags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be careful not to slam the 8rd mag home without the sleeve, you might damage the slide stop and/or the ejector.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Be careful not to slam the 8rd mag home without the sleeve, you might damage the slide stop and/or the ejector.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Non existent problem for me.  
I carry a Shield 9mm on duty, and have to not only qualify but train with it as well.  Two handed reloads, one handed reloads, shooting from cover, judgmental shooting with nary a problem.  My 8 round mag sleeves aren't glued, and the mags have always seated just fine.

Stripping the mags weak handed is a pain in the thigh, but it can be done and I like the pistol so well I can overlook it.
View Quote

+1 What's the problem?  I have carried mine daily for 2 years and never had an issue. I have about 2K rounds through mine and multiple 8 rounders with "the sleeve" you talk about and it has never caused an issue with me seating the mag. The Daughter and Son each have one as well. Never had an issue.
cp
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realize over insertion maybe a problem, but I have yet to have any issues. I wish 10-8 made baseplate a for the shield mags like they did for the extended .45 mags
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Got the Shield 9 and picked up the Loctite.  Sleeve is not moving anywhere.  Good to go.  

Nice little pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top