Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/4/2017 8:30:47 PM EDT
Official Statement :SIG Sauer Reaffirms Safety of the P-320 pistol

"I just spoke with Jordan at SIG who clarified what started this whole ball rolling downhill. An armorer at Dallas PD read an old outdated user manual which SIG has since edited. The language was confusing but caused this officer concern for the safety of the officers. DPD halted all officers from carrying the P-320 until they could contact the right person at SIG. Since the person at SIG was not in the office DPD issued the do not carry internal memo.

The SIG P-320 will now be placed back on the authorized carry list.(as soon as the POST approves). The PD took this action after speaking with SIG about the language in the outdated manual and coming to an understanding once the correct information was passed to the PD. Texas POST will take a few days to ok the P-320 for carry. DPD will issue a public statement in a few days.

So boys and girls this is what started this whole ordeal which is now resolved to everyone’s satisfaction. This should be the end of it. It certainly is as far as I’m concerned!

This is what SIG tells us:

Newington, NH (August 4, 2017) — In response to social media rumors questioning the safety of the P320 pistol, a variant of which was selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), SIG SAUER, Inc. has full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date.

The P320 meets and exceeds all U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

All SIG SAUER pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed. However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed. This language is common to owner’s manuals of major handgun manufacturers.

As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.

“SIG SAUER is committed to producing only the finest products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Safety and reliability have been and always will be paramount to the SIG SAUER brand.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad they cleared that up. I had serious doubts anyway since it survived the Army testing but not Dallas PD.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.tactical-life.com/news/sig-sauer-p320-dallas-pd/#sig-p320-2
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad they cleared that up. I had serious doubts anyway since it survived the Army testing but not Dallas PD.
View Quote
What testing?  The Army hardly did any testing at all on the 320.  Read the report.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
The average street cop could break a crowbar opening a bag of marshmallows. Come to think of it, the average grunt could do the same, then lose half the pieces.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Delete tech forum not GD.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
100% this.

With one caveat, I  never even bothered to read the posts here on it as I knew it is bullshit gossip.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

100% this.

With one caveat, I  never even bothered to read the posts here on it as I knew it is bullshit gossip.
View Quote
This 1000+
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
What did they have to say about the video of a 320 igniting a primer on drop number three? Although I don't ever see myself repeatedly dropping any of my firearms,  the video is a bit unnerving.

I will admit that I am comfortable carrying a 1911 without a firing pin safety in a good holster, but the drop safe aspect of newer pistol designs is appreciated. I know that I could screw up some day.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What did they have to say about the video of a 320 igniting a primer on drop number three? Although I don't ever see myself repeatedly dropping any of my firearms,  the video is a bit unnerving.

I will admit that I am comfortable carrying a 1911 without a firing pin safety in a good holster, but the drop safe aspect of newer pistol designs is appreciated. I know that I could screw up some day.
View Quote
I thought I had read that video was suspect. 
There were questions about who posted it and why the person was hiding their face? 
Dont know either way but it's good questions 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like it might not be rumors. There is another video out from what seems like a creditable source. If there is a problem it's not a big deal, it will get fixed. The P320 has risen to the top of the striker market. When you are on top everyone is out to get you.

The same thing happened to Glock back in the 90s. There was or maybe there still is a whole website dedicated to how the Glock is unsafe. The site was going off a drop test used by a department in CA that involved throwing the Glock like a frisbee. Supposedly doing this would set it off. Supposedly this was addressed. There were other things as well but I don't remember them all. Beretta suffered through the same nonsense when the 92FS was being selected as the M9. There were slide failures not because of a design or material flaw by Beretta but because Winchester was manufacturing the NATO spec 9mm incorrectly. Winchester was basically making almost proof loads. This lead to over pressure and premature wear on the guns. In the end the M9 is better for the failures but Beretta suffered a lot of embarrassment initially. This will all get sorted out in the end.

Sig Sauer P320 Fails Drop Test

ETA: It looks like a lighter trigger might be the solution or maybe adding a tab to the trigger like the Glock.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I am guessing the Army will rethink this.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I am guessing the Army will rethink this.
View Quote
I doubt it. This is a minor design change it seems. The Beretta M9 has been changed multiple times since it entered service.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Without knowing more the video above is, in my opinion, inconclusive.

Do we know if these drop tests were conducted in accordance with SAAMI or ANSI tests? If not what protocols were exceeded? Was the slide cycled and the sear reset between each drop? Lots of questions raised.

More importantly what other pistols might fire if subjected to the same drop test conducted by OO?

I'm sure any firearm can be made to fire if abused enough. At what point do we determine that testing is good enough?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Without knowing more the video above is, in my opinion, inconclusive.

Do we know if these drop tests were conducted in accordance with SAAMI or ANSI tests? If not what protocols were exceeded? Was the slide cycled and the sear reset between each drop? Lots of questions raised.

More importantly what other pistols might fire if subjected to the same drop test conducted by OO?

I'm sure any firearm can be made to fire if abused enough. At what point do we determine that testing is good enough?
View Quote
You know how I know you didn't watch the video..
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You know how I know you didn't watch the video..
View Quote
I watched it twice actually.

A quick Internet search seems to show that California and Massachusetts require dropping in 6 attitudes, one of which is muzzle up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I watched it twice actually.

A quick Internet search seems to show that California and Massachusetts require dropping in 6 attitudes, one of which is muzzle up.
View Quote
If you had really watched twice then you would know he answered your question. Even so what does that have to do with this video? CA and MA have not tested this pistol and/or given it a go/no go.

The point is the gun will fire if dropped and it lands in a certain orientation. The fix seems simple enough. While it seems unsafe now I'm confident everything will be addressed and a solution will come out of this. Then we can all move on to the next controversy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#18]
The video seems to indicate that the industry tests only call for a drop on the side and with muzzle down. At least that's the way I took it.

Regardless it would seem simple enough for SIG to re-add the trigger tab and/or produce a lighter mass trigger. If for no other reason than to ease concerns over trigger inertia.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The video seems to indicate that the industry tests only call for a drop on the side and with muzzle down. At least that's the way I took it.

Regardless it would seem simple enough for SIG to re-add the trigger tab and/or produce a lighter mass trigger. If for no other reason than to ease concerns over trigger inertia.
View Quote
You are downplaying this.  Ease concerns over trigger inertia? Would you feel comfortable shooting at a pistol range with someone next to you shooting this gun if you knew if they dropped it it might kill you?

That video shows the gun going off multiple times from a simple drop.  The gun is not safe, it is that simple.  It needs to be recalled and fixed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#20]
SWEET.

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not downplaying anything. But I'm not going to run around like Chicken Little either.

All I'm saying is until we know more about the Omaha testing and what other pistols may or may not fail the same test we don't have enough info.

Regardless, the video will have to prompt a serious response from SIG.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that would be a smart move. In its current configuration it is a lawyers wet dream.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm at work and can't watch the video with volume. Is the thought right now that combination trigger weight or inertia and force at that angle on the slide are enough to overcome the internal features preventing striker going forward? 

My inderstanding was that SIG already offers a trigger tab for certain law enforcement agencies who want that feature. If so, this issue will be easily and I suspect relatively quickly addressed. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm at work and can't watch the video with volume. Is the thought right now that combination trigger weight or inertia and force at that angle on the slide are enough to overcome the internal features preventing striker going forward? 

My inderstanding was that SIG already offers a trigger tab for certain law enforcement agencies who want that feature. If so, this issue will be easily and I suspect relatively quickly addressed. 
View Quote
That is pretty much is what it looks like. The trigger weight is the issue. A lighter trigger might work but then what happens when someone drops the gun from even a higher height. The tabbed trigger looks like the simplest fix.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes that's what they're saying. I want to see one done with Apex Flattys too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That is pretty much is what it looks like. The trigger weight is the issue. A lighter trigger might work but then what happens when someone drops the gun from even a higher height. The tabbed trigger looks like the simplest fix.
View Quote
Thanks. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes that's what they're saying. I want to see one done with Apex Flattys too.
View Quote
Ditto. I haven't taken the plunge into flat trigger land yet, but since I'm seriously contemplating a VTAC and/or X-carry (who am I kidding, I'll probably get both) I am wondering if the flat triggers and a tab will play wel together. Or if a tab would even be needed. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ditto. I haven't taken the plunge into flat trigger land yet, but since I'm seriously contemplating a VTAC and/or X-carry (who am I kidding, I'll probably get both) I am wondering if the flat triggers and a tab will play wel together. Or if a tab would even be needed. 
View Quote
In the video they said the lighter trigger in the X-Five did not fire when dropped. I would still question at what height does that change. A flat trigger with a tab isn't a big deal. There are plenty of aftermarket flat triggers for the Glock that are tabbed so I am sure the same can be done for the P320.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In the video they said the lighter trigger in the X-Five did not fire when dropped. I would still question at what height does that change. A flat trigger with a tab isn't a big deal. There are plenty of aftermarket flat triggers for the Glock that are tabbed so I am sure the same can be done for the P320.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably so. Although one of those Glock after markets recently made the news itself for basically disabling the drop safety of the firearm. Got to be careful no matter what. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks like it might not be rumors. There is another video out from what seems like a creditable source. If there is a problem it's not a big deal, it will get fixed. The P320 has risen to the top of the striker market. When you are on top everyone is out to get you.

The same thing happened to Glock back in the 90s. There was or maybe there still is a whole website dedicated to how the Glock is unsafe. The site was going off a drop test used by a department in CA that involved throwing the Glock like a frisbee. Supposedly doing this would set it off. Supposedly this was addressed. There were other things as well but I don't remember them all. Beretta suffered through the same nonsense when the 92FS was being selected as the M9. There were slide failures not because of a design or material flaw by Beretta but because Winchester was manufacturing the NATO spec 9mm incorrectly. Winchester was basically making almost proof loads. This lead to over pressure and premature wear on the guns. In the end the M9 is better for the failures but Beretta suffered a lot of embarrassment initially. This will all get sorted out in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

ETA: It looks like a lighter trigger might be the solution or maybe adding a tab to the trigger like the Glock.
View Quote
As soon as I read that smarmy reply from Sig I figured there was some actual truth to the issue.

"There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market"

Why would they use such specific wording and leave out the non commercial or non US markets. I'm a Sales Engineer and this is exactly how marketing and sales reps phrase things so they aren't lying but aren't telling the whole truth and I just sit there shaking my head.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Sig has been screwing the pooch lately in many regards.  QC and engineering suck.

End of story.

Military may be in for a surprise with a design that has never really been proven over time.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As soon as I read that smarmy reply from Sig I figured there was some actual truth to the issue.

"There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market"

Why would they use such specific wording and leave out the non commercial or non US markets. I'm a Sales Engineer and this is exactly how marketing and sales reps phrase things so they aren't lying but aren't telling the whole truth and I just sit there shaking my head.
View Quote
Yeah I noticed that too. That specific phrasing makes me wonder if there has been an incident in the MIL/LEO market.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah I noticed that too. That specific phrasing makes me wonder if there has been an incident in the MIL/LEO market.
View Quote
Lots of speculation online today this is why Sig lost the FBI contract. If you remember FBI pretty much spec'ed the P320 out in the trials even down to the modular design. Then LAV posted on FB that the P320 "failed FBI test miserably" and that Glock was then selected as the pistol of choice. There are even a couple of posts out there saying they had heard the P320 wouldn't pass the drop test.

ETA I'm not a Sig hater, I've owned more Sig guns than any other brand. I actually really want to get a P320c for CCW and hope they get this sorted out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lots of speculation online today this is why Sig lost the FBI contract. If you remember FBI pretty much spec'ed the P320 out in the trials even down to the modular design. Then LAV posted on FB that the P320 "failed FBI test miserably" and that Glock was then selected as the pistol of choice. There are even a couple of posts out there saying they had heard the P320 wouldn't pass the drop test.

ETA I'm not a Sig hater, I've owned more Sig guns than any other brand. I actually really want to get a P320c for CCW and hope they get this sorted out.
View Quote
Same. I own a few P series pistols and my SP2022 is probably my favorite Sig pistol. I don't own a P320 yet because I dove into the pool head first with the P250 and that was a mistake. Lesson learned, so I have waited for the P320 to be out for awhile.

I take everything Lav says with a grain of salt. He gets paid to pimp the Glock. Just like I didn't jump on the band wagon when Bruce Gray released his statement the other day. He has a lot invested in the P320. It benefits him to down play this. Though if the drop test is why the P320 wasn't selected by the FBI it doesn't look good him self proclaiming to be the subject matter expert on the P320 and claiming it's all nonsense only to have another video coming out days later showing the same thing.

OO suspending sales is a big deal because OO is losing money. They obviously feel like suspending sales is the right move to make.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched that video and I reverse my post above.

That video is VERY disconcerting.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Copied off another forum with a similar discussion. Can anyone comment?

FYI, the Grayguns "cam safety" is an additional part that Grayguns installs as part of its competition trigger work. I think it eliminates this possibility. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh neat, didn't know Andrew was working some place else.  Looks like he has been at Omaha for 3 months.  He always seems to be doing interesting experiments - if he says it can fire when dropped I believe it.  Guess I need to order a new trigger.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gentlemen, lets keep this on track and factual to the best of our abilities , its already sliding a bit sideways with the internet commando's and unverified video's  and I do not want to lock it if I don't have to  
View Quote
The video is not unverified. It was done by Omaha Outdoors.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Copied off another forum with a similar discussion. Can anyone comment?
View Quote
It would be interesting to see this test with his mod and the Apex trigger as well. With as much traction as this is getting today maybe someone will test it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Agreed. I'd like to see it with the Apex as well as the Grayguns PELT.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Was just now able to watch the video with sound.  6% weight difference in the flat v. stock trigger seems to account for the majority of the difference in test results.  Wow.

That seems like a razor thin margin between works as intended v. big oopsy.

How hard is it to DIY install a tabbed trigger? Anybody make a tabbed flat trigger? 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not sure what to think, Sig recalled all of the MCX line because they got one gun to slam fire with one brand of 300BO that isn't even that popular. They could have just issued a warning about that brand of ammo. 

Id think the same company, with the same interests and lawyers would have recalled the P320 if this is something that could be reproduced.
at the same time I don't doubt the Omaha videos, seems there are some conditions that this could occur. Just not sure how likely it would be. Just not sure what to think. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what to think, Sig recalled all of the MCX line because they got one gun to slam fire with one brand of 300BO that isn't even that popular. They could have just issued a warning about that brand of ammo. 

Id think the same company, with the same interests and lawyers would have recalled the P320 if this is something that could be reproduced.
at the same time I don't doubt the Omaha videos, seems there are some conditions that this could occur. Just not sure how likely it would be. Just not sure what to think. 
View Quote
In the video they said it was extremely rare but possible. A lot of potential gun "issues" could be described the exact same way. I'm honestly not that concerned. I'll watch and see what SIG does, of course. If a simple trigger swap fixes it, that's a no brainer. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because they aren't telling the whole truth. Good catch.

Lawsuit
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because they aren't telling the whole truth. Good catch.

Lawsuit
View Quote
Damn. If it couldn't get any worse.. Sig needs to go silver back on this issue ASAP before more of these types of things happen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone notice the video is of the non external safety model?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone notice the video is of the non external safety model?
View Quote
And how many external safety models exist on the "commercial" and hell...even "LE" market? At this point in time?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
LAV has been treading the shill waters lately and his comments I take like a used car salesman. The original reason that I read that Glocl won the FBI contract was the almighty dollar, Sig played the game against Glock and won the Army contract.

What it comes down to is a fix will be made as pretty much all guns will have an issue until all the kinks are fixed
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:41:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I doubt it. This is a minor design change it seems. The Beretta M9 has been changed multiple times since it entered service.
View Quote
Minor alterations to the locking block... that's about it.

I'd say it will depend on how Sig is able to address the issue. A simple "2nd Gen" firing system with minor redesigns would be the best solution if it's feasible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top