Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 2:20:06 PM EDT
Eyes still pretty good, but age is showing, use Ameriglo night sights, black rear and green up front.
I shoot pretty well, and practice alot, live fire and dry.
I am used to going straight to front sight, ignoring the rear.
Would an rmr help me or slow me down, how bout the learning curve ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it.

I just always recommend you have cowitness sights as well.

Learning curve isn't bad really, didn't take me long to adjust.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 59, eyes have been iffy for several years.  I'm okay with glasses, basically point shooting without them though as the front sight can't be distinguished from the rear sight.

I put an RMR on my P09 9MM a couple months back.  Even without my glasses I can put that blurry dot on the target.  Worked so well I sent my P07 in for the same treatment.

I still have handguns with only iron sights, but I don't carry them.  You won't know how sweet it is till you shoot it a bit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 59, eyes have been iffy for several years.  I'm okay with glasses, basically point shooting without them though as the front sight can't be distinguished from the rear sight.

I put an RMR on my P09 9MM a couple months back.  Even without my glasses I can put that blurry dot on the target.  Worked so well I sent my P07 in for the same treatment.

I still have handguns with only iron sights, but I don't carry them.  You won't know how sweet it is till you shoot it a bit.
View Quote

Thanks..good to know.
I only wear reading glasses, but rear sight is a lil fuzzy.
I can shoot irons on rifles as long as its a peep (aperture) sight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
General dot discussion Video 1

Primary & Secondary Pistol Mounted Red Dots discussion Video 2

The Balor mount should be out soon from Raven Concealment. The Balor will offer a way to try out a dot without permanent modification to your pistol, assuming you shoot a Glock. The mount for the T1 will come out first followed by the RMR mount.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/glock-universal-optics-mount.html#.Vyd8OjArK
Quoted:

The Balor mount should be out soon from Raven Concealment. The Balor will offer a way to try out a dot without permanent modification to your pistol, assuming you shoot a Glock. The mount for the T1 will come out first followed by the RMR mount.
View Quote

Any thoughts ?

http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/glock-universal-optics-mount.html#.Vyd8OjArK

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Eyes still pretty good, but age is showing, use Ameriglo night sights, black rear and green up front.
View Quote

Kinda have the save issues as you describe.  Picked up a G17mos, slapped on a vortex, and whammo!  I can shoot again!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're old enough where your sight is degrading, and you've been shooting as long, sights should be irrelevant at this stage.  Shooting a pistol, should be like pointing your finger!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're old enough where your sight is degrading, and you've been shooting as long, sights should be irrelevant at this stage.  Shooting a pistol, should be like pointing your finger!
View Quote

Valid point, and there is the dilema.
Can still shoot fine, but aint gonna get any younger or have eye surgery.
So should technology be out of the question ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kinda have the save issues as you describe.  Picked up a G17mos, slapped on a vortex, and whammo!  I can shoot again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrat's
Can you elaborate a lil more ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the dots especially as my eyes get worse (62 y.o.) BUT in my family we have had four Trijicon RMRs and three were defective.  Two of them were returned for repair and the results were not good.  The Trijicons are 'hit or miss' on quality.  Perhaps look into the Leupold Deltapoint Pro.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah no….the best shooters in the world still use their sights.  It concerns me that you think a sight picture could ever be irrelevant
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah no….the best shooters in the world still use their sights.  It concerns me that you think a sight picture could ever be irrelevant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously if you think you don't need to use sights you're wrong. Guys smarter than me can tell you why you are wrong here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts ?

Honestly never heard of them. The Baylor will be more money but the way it attaches to the pistol looks much more solid. The Baylor and the way it attaches can be seen here at about the 1min mark.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#15]
They are already making a non permanent mount like that with iron sight provisions.

this one
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I say go for it, I like my RMR. Especially if your eyes are not as good as they used to be, it makes it easier to shoot with both eyes open and still make accurate hits on target. The learning curve isn't too bad at all, just takes some practice. Following the dot isn't hard, its just picking it up on initial presentation that takes a little getting used to.

Also, if you don't want to spend the cash on a dot you may not like, you could try something VERY hi-viz like the Trijicon HDs. I run these on my other carry gun and you cant miss that front sight, even from several feet behind the person shooting.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#17]
With iron sights you have to align the front sight with the rear sight and the front sight on the target.

With the dot you only have to put it on the target.  I tried it my first range trip.  Dot on the left side of the lens but center of the target & one shot.  Dot on the left side of the lens but center of the target & one shot.  Dot near the top of the lens but on the target & one shot.  Dot near the bottom of the lens (kept losing the dot in the rear sight on this shot) but center of target & one shot.  Last shot was with the dot in the center of the lens and on the center of the target & one shot.

Five shots, one group in the center of the target.  I'd heard this was true, but had to try it for myself.  May not make much difference on a stationary target but it's bound to help out on a moving target - or if you're moving while firing.

Both of mine are RMRs.  The dual illuminated models without the battery, so no battery/connection/electrical issues.  However, I did just order a Delta Point Pro.  I'm hearing good things about them and figured it would fit better (narrower body than the RMR) on the CZ P01 I plan to buy at the first opportunity.

Is it different?  Hell yes.  Is it better?  Hell yes.  I'm notoriously "cheap".  Now I'm spending as much on a red dot (RMR and Delta Point) as I paid for my pistols and then adding the machining/installation/refinishing costs to that.  And it's worth it to me.  I could have bought four more nice CZ pistols for what I've paid for three red dot sights and the work on two of my CZ pistols.  And I'm going to do it again.

Not everyone agrees.  That's okay.  It works for me though, so I'm doing it.  Oh, one piece of advice.  If you go the dual illuminated RMR route, the amber dot is much brighter under less favorable conditions (gun is in low light and target is in brighter light - like when you're under a firing line roof, or in your house, and the target is outside in the sunlight.) than the green dot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Yea, that too.
Need to learn how to hotlink, thought I had it figured out.

I've got a 17L, that is just a range toy.
May start with it, to see how I like the setup, still gonna kick it around.
Most of my range time for practice will be in sunlight, not sure about the Trijicon washout factor.
I really like that big ass pyramid.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I voted for try it and see.

I do like the mount that slides into your rear sight. If it does not work sell the rmr and I'm sure the mount would sell as well.

I see a few drawbacks to RMRs.
   Operated by batteries. (sights still needed, close range not sure it will matter)
   Learning curve. I have read a lot about them. Seems like it might slow you down close in looking for the dot. But I think that can be over come with practice.
   Holsters, yep now you have to find someone that makes them for the RMR, again as they get more popular they will become more available.
   Cost, anything fun is never cheap and RMRs are not cheap.
   If your shooting outside and it starts to rain, does it make the RMR more difficult to use?

On the flip side. The benefits to RMRs.
   Accuracy, just like rifle red dots, put the dot on the target and the bullet goes there.
   Visibility, you can pick it up faster and better than sights.
   Cool factor, well that speaks for itself.

I am still on the fence, I have been thinking about getting one for sometime and just have not moved that direction. What I will tell you is I really like the idea and I move more and more in the direction of getting a G19 Setup with an RMR.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I see a few drawbacks to RMRs.
   Operated by batteries. (sights still needed, close range not sure it will matter) I replace mine every year or so, though they're rated to last much longer.  Not a big deal.
   Learning curve. I have read a lot about them. Seems like it might slow you down close in looking for the dot. But I think that can be over come with practice.  You should develop an index such that you can draw and present the sight on target without looking for them regardless of whether it's a red dot or irons.  Honestly after developing that index with the G35 I used to shoot in USPSA, when I draw my gun with the RMR the dot is always right where it should be.
   Holsters, yep now you have to find someone that makes them for the RMR, again as they get more popular they will become more available. A lot of holsters will work already.  The ones that don't can usually be made to work with a dremel in about 5 minutes
   Cost, anything fun is never cheap and RMRs are not cheap. OK, you got me there.  I bought my G17 as a package from L&M with the RMR and cerakoted slide.  I then changed to a ZEV connector and springs and added a Storm Lake threaded barrel.  It's by far the most expensive Glock I own.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I just tried my new g19 mos with a Vortex Venom yesterday.  My groups were considerably smaller than usual.

So far, I'm well pleased with it.

Have no idea what the battery life will end up being, nor how the lens will tolerate the bumps and dirt from being carried.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd suggest trying someone else's first to see if it's right for you.

An alternative would be switching to a fiber optic front.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been playing experimenting with the Glock MOS and RMR set-up myself.  Was wondering if a RDS CCW gun is in my future.  At this point, I still don't know, and will continue to experiment.

Couple of things I've notice (for me).  First, I'm nearsighted with astigmatism and wear glasses.  Seeing the front sight has never been an issue for me, and if anything seeing the target is my challenge.  Also, with irons, I'm a very good shot out to about 50 feet.  Past 50 feet, my groups open up.

I set-up a G40 10mm with an RMR06 last year and tried it out to see what I thought.  Its one thing to try out someone else's RDS pistol for some range time, but totally different once the gun's your own.  The G40 was to be a "range toy", camp gun and maybe a hunting gun.  Too big for CCW and the ammo a little too pricey for a practice gun.  I never got around to fast on target shooting with the G40.  I did find that my long distance shooting improved quite abit.  Using some factory Hornady ammo, I was able to keep 10 rounds on a 6 inch target at 50 yards, benched.  Would not have been able to do this with iron sights.  

This year I set-up a G41 MOS 45acp with an RMR01.  I figured it would be a better range gun since the ammo is cheaper and something I can carry.  About the RMR01 vs RMR06:  I wish I'd have gotten another '06.  The '01 can be too bright at times and with my mild astigmatism, the dot is blurry when too bright.

I'm still learning this G41/RMR01 set-up.  When drawing from the holster, I'm pointing low on target and having to "look" for the dot and sights.  Not sure why I'm doing this, but hopefully can train myself out of it.  I think my brain is trying to look over the RMR instead of through it, if that makes any sense.  As far as accuracy, I am still accurate out to my normal 50 foot limit.  What surprised me was standing off hand at 25 yards, my groups were not any better or worse using the RMR.  I was expecting to be able to thread a needle's eye at 25 yards, but was disappointed when my groups were not any better than using irons.  

I've only been using the G41 MOS for about a month, and am still getting used to it.  At this point, I wouldn't want to CCW the gun yet.  It's going to take more range time and dry fire practice to get me comfortable with a RDS handgun.  I feel I'm slower using a RDS than irons up close, and further out, the RDS didn't improve my self-defense accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a G34 MOS & Fast Fire 3 a couple months ago for USPSA now want them on all my Glock's, I went from a pretty good shot to Damn good shot & I'm getting better.
I'm left eye dominat "not sure if that matters" but the red dot really seems to helps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm very curious what a red dot would do for a 26.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#26]
You definitely want an RMR and there just so happens to be a very nice G17 with RMR on the EE right now, just saying...

Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but that's one of the more ridiculous things I've heard in a while.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You definitely want an RMR and there just so happens to be a very nice G17 with RMR on the EE right now, just saying...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice try.
Got plenty of glocks already.
My experiment with this will be my 17L.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

School's out early this year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#29]
An RMR is definitely worth a try, but remember there is a learning curve. You have to practice with it, or it won't help nearly as much as people would have you think.

I had pretty good eyes up until a detached retina and subsequent eye surgery last year. The RMR does help. A lot. But only if you spend some time working with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nice try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice try.

Hey didn't hurt to try

Not still trying to sell you, but a 17L seems like a strange choice for an RMR host.  The whole advantage to a 17L is the longer sight radius which becomes irreverent once you add a red dot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hey didn't hurt to try

Not still trying to sell you, but a 17L seems like a strange choice for an RMR host.  The whole advantage to a 17L is the longer sight radius which becomes irreverent once you add a red dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice try.

Hey didn't hurt to try

I understand.
The 17L I bought just to add to my small Glock collection, when I finally drank the Glock koolade.
I got it just to play with, I carry the 19, but not knowing if I'm gonna like the reflex sight, I want something to play with first.
I have the same aftermarket sights and triggers in all my Glocks, so they all have the same front sight that gets my attention while I ignore the rear sight.
All trigger pulls are very close.
I have the zev fulcrum and connector in them.
The only stock one is the 42, which I'm breaking in and test proving to become my daughters cc, upon legal age and combat pistol class.
Have about 700rds thru it so far.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm very curious what a red dot would do for a 26.
View Quote

Same thing it would do for any other handgun, maybe would even benefit more since it takes the shorter sight distance out of the equation.

*I know "sight distance" isn't the correct term here, but im having a brain fart. It should make the gun more accurate at longer distances theoretically.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the craziest shit I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Same thing it would do for any other handgun, maybe would even benefit more since it takes the shorter sight distance out of the equation.

*I know "sight distance" isn't the correct term here, but im having a brain fart. It should make the gun more accurate at longer distances theoretically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm very curious what a red dot would do for a 26.

I'm thinking the one disadvantage of the 26 against its bigger brothers is the shorter sight radius.  It can take the longer mags and there are grip adapters available.  A RDS evens the playing field w/ a relatively concealable pistol.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Have you thought about a laser, such as Crimson Trace?  I put one on my wife's G19 and she loves it (she's 59)
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have you thought about a laser, such as Crimson Trace?  I put one on my wife's G19 and she loves it (she's 59)
View Quote

Its just me I'm sure, but I've never cared for them.
Cant really say why, just one of those things.

I can shoot pistols well, just looking down the road, eyesight gets worse.I practice regularly, lots of dryfire also.
I shoot from as close as 7yds to as far away as 100 yds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe they're out there, but I've never personally seen a laser that was worth a damn in direct sunlight.  I've used my RMR in everything from bright daylight to fog and overcast to near-pitch black without any issues.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm curious about these relatively new green pistol lasers as well.  Certainly easier to mount than an RDS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#39]
this one

This is sweet!

Time to shop for an RMR!

Great innovation.

Thanks!

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top