Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 1:54:51 PM EDT
Hi y'all, I was wondering about the legality of using a vert grip on my pap w/sb47 brace. I'm aware of the ruling that if the firearm is over 26" in length, measured from the end of the threads to the end of the tube then it's ok to put a very grip on the firearm. Iv see pics of AR pistols with 10.5" barrels and KAK super tubes wearing very grips. So I guess they meet the requirement. I measured my pap and seem to be coming up with 29". So do the same rules apt to the pap?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe in this case the OAL makes a difference.  If your weapon was sold as a "pistol" regardless of the barrel length then NO Vert Grip UNLESS you SBR it on a Form1 or AOW it on a Form1.  Or the other route you can take is to have an 07/SOT put the vert grip on it and transfer it back to you.  Then there would be a $5 "transfer tax" to you.  The Arm Brace does not factor into it as the PAP is still a "pistol" with or without the brace.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If that's the case, how do the AR pistols get away with the "over 26in" rule?  An AR pistol or an AK pistol, they're both pistols. I was under the impression that you measured from the end of the threads to the end of the tube on your brace. If that measurement was over 26", I thought you fell into that magical gray area and could use a vert grip?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It becomes an other firearm when you add the front grip, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The question is whether a buffer tube (or anything else on butt end) adds to the legal OAL on an AK type pistol.

To my knowledge, nothing has ever been ruled to contribute toward OAL on the ass end of any firearm past the "firearm" itself (except a stock or grip).

The buffer tube on an AR direct impingement type firearm is part of the firearm, necessary for function,  hence why it counts in OAL. I suspect it would not be ruled to count on an AK, any more than would a banana. But we'll see -- I know at least a couple of folks have sent in questions for ruling on it.

- OS

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not so much that a "pistol is always a pistol", but that something over 26" is categorically NOT an AOW by the ATF's own definition.
View Quote

No federal definitions have changed. There is no overall length maximum for a handgun, a 26" inch one no different, it is still a handgun.

A handgun of legal 26" OAL or more, not concealed on the person, may have a VFG on it, at which point it becomes a non-NFA firearm. Remove the VFG, it's magically a pistol again.

Again, no classification definitiona have changed, this is simply an interpretative exception to what has been traditionally deemed as fitting under AOW status.

- OS

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I never thought of the AR needing the buffer tube to function , hence why it's counted in the OAL. I can't wait to see the ruling on the AK!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Technically the AR can function as a firearm without a receiver extension, it will just be a single shot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Technically the AR can function as a firearm without a receiver extension, it will just be a single shot.
View Quote

Just don't stick your face behind the receiver or you'll get a nice kiss from the BCG.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just don't stick your face behind the receiver or you'll get a nice kiss from the BCG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if your face didn't stop it, I suppose it would exit the firearm. I wouldn't call that a "functional" firearm myself.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And if your face didn't stop it, I suppose it would exit the firearm. I wouldn't call that a "functional" firearm myself.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS
It would be prudent to disable the gas system if you wanted to fire it without a buffer tube.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I am shooting off a letter today to the ATF with this exact question.

Here is the letter:

To:
FTB
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

Subject:Clarification

No shoulder stock is, or will be, attached to the firearm. It will only have a AR15 style buffer tube.

If an AR15 style buffer tube were to be added to the rear of a semi auto AK47 pistol would the additional length of the added buffer tube contribute to the total length of the firearm?

If a AR15 style buffer tube were added to the rear of a semi auto AK47 pistol how do I measure to obtain an accurate, and legal, overall length? Would I measure from the muzzle to the end of the pistol receiver, and exclude the added buffer tube in that measurement, or would I measure from the muzzle to the end of the attached buffer tube and include the additional length of the buffer tube in the overall measurement?

After adding the buffer tube to a semi auto AK47 pistol, and measuring the overall length, would I legally be allowed to add a vertical forward grip to the firearm providing the overall length of the firearm was at least 26" from the muzzle to the rear most portion of buffer tube?

If the AK47 pistol, with the buffer tube attached, was at least 26 inches would adding a vertical forward grip create a firearm that would be subject to the NFA? Once the firearm is 26 inches and has a vertical forward grip would it no longer be considered an AOW and at that point would become a "firearm"?

Additionally, would adding a folding stock mechanism between the receiver and buffer tube change the classification?

Would the use of a buffer tube designed for use with SB15 brace create a firearm classified differently than one that uses a standard style buffer tube designed to accept a standard or collapsible shoulder stock?

Would the use of a standard style buffer tube, designed to accept a standard or collapsible shoulder stock, create a firearm that is classified differently than a buffer tube designed for use with SB15 brace? Again, no stock will ever be attached to the standard buffer tube.

When starting with an AR15 pistol you can add a longer buffer tube to reach the 26 inches and once the AR15 pistol is at least 26 inches in length it is then legal to add a vertical forward grip, like in the instanced of the Franklin Armory Model SE-SSP, which you have ruled is legal and not subject to the NFA. Case number 3311/2011-357. Would the same ruling that applied to the Franklin Armory firearm above also apply if, instead of an AR15 "pistol" receiver, a AK47 "pistol" receiver were used? If not, why?

That is if a "pistol", either AR15 or AK47, were to be at least 26" could a vertical forward grip be legally added without coming under the purview of the NFA?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Any other weapon =
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been curious on this as well. Logically speaking, it should legitimately add to the OAL.
But the firearm doesn't need it to function!
Consider a pump shotgun - its OAL is measured with the stock on. If you make it PGO, the OAL drops. Stock back on, OAL jumps. The stock isn't necessary for its function (barring the whole shotgun is designed to be fired from the shoulder thing), so logically the same thing should apply here.
There's also the argument that since it isn't "permanently attached" (pinned/welded) it doesn't count towards the OAL, but that ruling has always only ever applied to barrels and barrels only.

Super curious to see what they say back on this one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless it is one of those AR's that is a piston driven systems that has the recoil spring "above" the carrier.  That is how they can put a folding stock on it (no buffer tube).
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unless it is one of those AR's that is a piston driven systems that has the recoil spring "above" the carrier.  That is how they can put a folding stock on it (no buffer tube).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there is a folding adapter for DI type (with buffer tube) ARs also. But I would assume that unless a ruling changes things, a tube on a piston or blowback AR pistol or the folding adapter on any AR pistol does not contribute to OAL either.

It all hinges on what is deemed to constitute the "firearm", as that is the extremity of the rear measurement if no stock or grip extends past it.

If they allow a buffer tube on any firearm to suffice in OAL,  I'm seeing in mind's eye Glock pistol and BlackHawk revolver kits with brace and VFG. Maybe I should go ahead and patent that? ;)

- OS
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi all, has there been any update on this from the ATF?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I asked this same question to my local SOT when I bought my M92 with the brace. He is a pretty knowledgeable guy regarding firearms and firearms law and this stumped him. His only only opinion was that the brace wasn't part of the pistol technically, and could be considered in the same category as a sling regard OAL.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I asked this same question to my local SOT when I bought my M92 with the brace. He is a pretty knowledgeable guy regarding firearms and firearms law and this stumped him. His only only opinion was that the brace wasn't part of the pistol technically, and could be considered in the same category as a sling regard OAL.
View Quote

The question is whether anything on rear of firearm not necessary for function counts in overall length. And if so, what? So far, only stocks on rifles and grips on pistols have been considered as part of the OAL due to their necessary function as per the definition of the type of firearm itself.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#20]
oops, meant to edit post above
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as i know the vertical grip is a no no but the magpul afg is ok.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As far as i know the vertical grip is a no no but the magpul afg is ok.
View Quote

To summarize the thread you obviously haven't read that you're posting in

- a vertical grip is okay on a pistol of 26" or more legal over all length.
- The barrel end is clear cut regarding role in OAL.
- What's not clear is what counts on the other end.
- With an AR direct impingement firearm, it's quite clear that the buffer tube counts also, because it is part of the firearm itself, as is necessary for function.
- Beyond that, there is only conjecture as to whether anything else would count, such as a buffer tube on an AK pistol -- and a letter has been submitted for a ruling on that.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#24]
How long does the ATF usually take to respond to these inquiries anyway?
Really looking forward to an answer to Dolomite's letter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How long does the ATF usually take to respond to these inquiries anyway?
Really looking forward to an answer to Dolomite's letter.
View Quote

No set time. Feller in AR pistol forum in this thread, it took just about exactly 6 months:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/642931_Possible_solution_to_a_problem_AR_pistol_owners_face__10_4_UPDATE__ATF_Responded_.html

Another guy put in a question there was a big hoodo about a month or two earlier than that still no answer apparently.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
On another forum I saw a guy's letter from the BATF regarding a VFG on his M92 build. He was using the Stark angled grip and the letter confirmed that they do not have a problem with an ANGLED grip.

What's interesting is that it goes on to clarify that the BATF defines a vertical fore grip as a grip that extends out on a 90 degree perpendicular angle from the barrel regardless of orientation (side, top, etc...). The letter makes it clear that because the Stark is not at a 90 degree angle that it's not a vertical grip and it's perfectly ok to use it on his M92.

This has me thinking about putting a BCM grip on mine as it's not exactly 90 degrees, I think it's 85... I just wish they didn't market it as a 'vertical' foregrip....
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On another forum I saw a guy's letter from the BATF regarding a VFG on his M92 build. He was using the Stark angled grip and the letter confirmed that they do not have a problem with an ANGLED grip.

What's interesting is that it goes on to clarify that the BATF defines a vertical fore grip as a grip that extends out on a 90 degree perpendicular angle from the barrel regardless of orientation (side, top, etc...). The letter makes it clear that because the Stark is not at a 90 degree angle that it's not a vertical grip and it's perfectly ok to use it on his M92.

This has me thinking about putting a BCM grip on mine as it's not exactly 90 degrees, I think it's 85... I just wish they didn't market it as a 'vertical' foregrip....
View Quote

Does it mean this is gtg on a pistol?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/Grip/Shift-10-640x480.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://fortismfg.com/image/cache/data/Grip/Shift-10-640x480.jpg
Based on the language in the letter I read it would be perfectly acceptable. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and they could very easily change their position if someone were to send a letter asking if the BCM at 85 degrees is good to go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd think one should most wisely use only a forward grip that has letter of approval, myself, regardless of "close to vertical but not really truly vertical" and all that.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll be bumping this every month or so 'til we hear back from the ATF, super interested in what they have to say.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll be bumping this every month or so 'til we hear back from the ATF, super interested in what they have to say.
View Quote

Yeah, me too. I'm a friend of Dolomite's, so if he forgets to come back and post it here, I'll try to remember to do it. Making link to thread.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive, I can't wait to hear what the final verdict is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive, I can't wait to hear what the final verdict is.
View Quote

I'm guessing at least 6 months more to hear, I'm afraid. Ya never know though, seems they aren't necessarily handled in chronological order or anything.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#34]
We could always have someone just do it and see if they get arrested. Much faster turnaround.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We could always have someone just do it and see if they get arrested. Much faster turnaround.
View Quote

Not a good test, unless they're willing to walk into an ATF field office with it or something. Odds are most folks would never be slammed for any illegal config in the normal course of their shooting lives.

- OS

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I always cringe when regular people (non-nfa lawyer, non-SOT types) send inquiry letters to the ATF... Never seems to end well for the little man UNTIL we get the NFA lawyer and SOT guys into the mix...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I own an AK AOW , the way I see it , the vertical grip will make it an AOW . The Sig brace being improperly used has no effect on the base gun. It still is a pistol with a vertical grip hence AOW ..
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I own an AK AOW , the way I see it , the vertical grip will make it an AOW . The Sig brace being improperly used has no effect on the base gun. It still is a pistol with a vertical grip hence AOW ..
View Quote

To re-summarize:

Direct impingement AR pistols with an overall length of 26" or more are no longer pistols with a VFG attached, but legal firearms. Presumably, other type handguns would be the same, but the question is just what contributes to the legal overall length on other type pistols.  It's clear on the barrel end for all firearms, clear on ass end for long guns, but not clear at all on the ass end for other type pistols.

It has just never been an issue before this 26"/VFG ruling.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#39]
The new ATF letter received by  Black Aces Tactical has implications for this.

Note the submitted weapon, a PGO short barreled shotgun with added buffer tube, VFG, and pistol brace; was approved as a non-NFA firearm*. It is described as having an 8.5" barrel, but 27"  overall length. This means the buffer tube length HAD to be included in the ATF's overall length measurement to qualify as a 'firearm,' instead of an AOW. Despite the weapon not needing the buffer tube to function.

*Yes, they also stated the brace could be considered a stock if shouldered, making it a, SBS, but this is likely due to the brace being approved for use with a 'pistol' and the firearm in question never having been a pistol. Since an AK pistol is a pistol, the letter approving firing it from the shoulder should still apply.

So there is precedence for including buffer tube length in OAL measurement, even if the firearm doesn't need the tube to function for determining if it is an AOW or a 'firearm.'
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The new ATF letter received by  Black Aces Tactical has implications for this.

Note the submitted weapon, a PGO short barreled shotgun with added buffer tube, VFG, and pistol brace; was approved as a non-NFA firearm*. It is described as having an 8.5" barrel, but 27"  overall length. This means the buffer tube length HAD to be included in the ATF's overall length measurement to qualify as a 'firearm,' instead of an AOW. Despite the weapon not needing the buffer tube to function.

*Yes, they also stated the brace could be considered a stock if shouldered, making it a, SBS, but this is likely due to the brace being approved for use with a 'pistol' and the firearm in question never having been a pistol. Since an AK pistol is a pistol, the letter approving firing it from the shoulder should still apply.

So there is precedence for including buffer tube length in OAL measurement, even if the firearm doesn't need the tube to function for determining if it is an AOW or a 'firearm.'
View Quote

Yeah, I noticed that, and even mentioned it on another forum. If indeed that was 8.5" barrel on the one that was submitted, then I agree, buffer tube had to have been counted in OAL.

On the other hand,  for all we know, Mr. Griffth may have by now handed Mr. Kingery's Acting Director Of A Sub Department's ass to him and a future missive could be in the works.

I still want to see the first two pages of that thing; there's a lot of expository stuff and reasoning missing.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Here is the letter:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here is the letter:

To:
FTB
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405

Subject:Clarification

No shoulder stock is, or will be, attached to the firearm. It will only have a AR15 style buffer tube.

If an AR15 style buffer tube were to be added to the rear of a semi auto AK47 pistol would the additional length of the added buffer tube contribute to the total length of the firearm?

If a AR15 style buffer tube were added to the rear of a semi auto AK47 pistol how do I measure to obtain an accurate, and legal, overall length? Would I measure from the muzzle to the end of the pistol receiver, and exclude the added buffer tube in that measurement, or would I measure from the muzzle to the end of the attached buffer tube and include the additional length of the buffer tube in the overall measurement?

After adding the buffer tube to a semi auto AK47 pistol, and measuring the overall length, would I legally be allowed to add a vertical forward grip to the firearm providing the overall length of the firearm was at least 26" from the muzzle to the rear most portion of buffer tube?

If the AK47 pistol, with the buffer tube attached, was at least 26 inches would adding a vertical forward grip create a firearm that would be subject to the NFA? Once the firearm is 26 inches and has a vertical forward grip would it no longer be considered an AOW and at that point would become a "firearm"?

Additionally, would adding a folding stock mechanism between the receiver and buffer tube change the classification?

Would the use of a buffer tube designed for use with SB15 brace create a firearm classified differently than one that uses a standard style buffer tube designed to accept a standard or collapsible shoulder stock?

Would the use of a standard style buffer tube, designed to accept a standard or collapsible shoulder stock, create a firearm that is classified differently than a buffer tube designed for use with SB15 brace? Again, no stock will ever be attached to the standard buffer tube.

When starting with an AR15 pistol you can add a longer buffer tube to reach the 26 inches and once the AR15 pistol is at least 26 inches in length it is then legal to add a vertical forward grip, like in the instanced of the Franklin Armory Model SE-SSP, which you have ruled is legal and not subject to the NFA. Case number 3311/2011-357. Would the same ruling that applied to the Franklin Armory firearm above also apply if, instead of an AR15 "pistol" receiver, a AK47 "pistol" receiver were used? If not, why?

That is if a "pistol", either AR15 or AK47, were to be at least 26" could a vertical forward grip be legally added without coming under the purview of the NFA?

Was this "letter" submitted to the ATF as an actual letter (via mail), or as an email? I was researching this same issue and I was going to ask it to the ATF when I noticed that the ATF will not answer "technical" questions submitted via emails. They will only answer "technical" questions that are mailed to their Washington, DC office. See highlighted potion, below:

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Was this "letter" submitted to the ATF as an actual letter (via mail), or as an email? I was researching this same issue and I was going to ask it to the ATF when I noticed that the ATF will not answer "technical" questions submitted via emails. They will only answer "technical" questions that are mailed to their Washington, DC office. See highlighted potion, below:
View Quote

Actual letter. Dolo has dealt with ATF a good bit over time, knows the ropes. Lots of NFA stuff, makes his own silencers, etc.

- OS
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top