Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/2/2014 2:49:45 PM EDT
-UPDATES-
10/4/14 ATF Letter came in the mail.
RESPONSE HERE.

7/29/14: Still haven't received response from Tech Branch.
5/8/14: Sent out letter to Tech Branch.

I have a problem I face with my AR pistols which I am sure depending on the legality of it, others may too. I do not like the current available solutions to mount a QD sling to my ar pistol. Normally a stock may come with a QD mount  built in to the stock. However, on an ar pistol we cannot have a stock. This got me thinking of ways to mount a QD mount in the most useful way to allow the quick attachment and detachment of a sling while on the range to facilitate carrying the AR pistol with shorter slings. I have come up with the following idea which might change the way we mount slings to AR pistols.

***Testing was done on AR rifle for safety.***

We start with a Thordsen buffer tube cover and Cheek saddle which ATF says is OK. Letter from ATF

Then add a picatinny rail adapter to allow users to mount a QD mount.

Now we add the QD mount

Sling attached to QD mount.

QD sling detached.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just get a QD end plate
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just use the qd points built into the buffer tube cover? That's why I got the one with qd points over the regular one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just get a QD end plate
View Quote

Ah...

Don't look at it as a QD attachment point.

Think SIG pistol brace setting next to it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not just use the qd points built into the buffer tube cover? That's why I got the one with qd points over the regular one.
View Quote

I prefer the mounting point the QD mount provides when mounted in this location.

Here is another picture for size comparison, so you can get a better idea of the minimal size it adds.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I like where this is going.

You know, it is always nice to have a secondary primary attachment point.

ETA: I can't see the ATF being thrilled about this, though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I think we're gonna let you be the test case for this one.  Let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that is the only logical way to mount a sling to a pistol

Now to get the Tec branch to sing off on it
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think that is the only logical way to mount a sling lanyard to a pistol

Now to get the Tec branch to sing off on it
View Quote
Of course you would.

Might lose it or drop it while trying to holster it or while getting on your horse otherwise!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it'd be a good idea to have a rifle upper that matches that handguard just in case.

http://i.imgur.com/aLNMYnLl.jpg
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think there is room for an end plate QD point with the Thordsen buffer tube.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Like it :) i'll stick with my sb15 for now though :)
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't think there is room for an end plate QD point with the Thordsen buffer tube.
View Quote
This wasn't the premise of the OP.  He just wanted a QD point...

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
QD end plate.  Mine's a Daniel Defense but lots of people make them. It's a $20 mod.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We start with a Thordsen buffer tube cover and Cheek saddle which ATF says is OK. Letter from ATF
http://i.imgur.com/taxvUkol.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DA6vwD3l.jpg
View Quote

I like this set up you got.  Could you show us some pic how the picatinny rail adapter was mounted to the tube?  I also got the Thordsen tube on my pistol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Adding this to the subscriptions list...very curious what BATFE will have to say about it.  It's certainly a grey area that should be clarified.  OP, keep us posted if you do contact them and get a response.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Adding this to the subscriptions list...very curious what BATFE will have to say about it.  It's certainly a grey area that should be clarified.  OP, keep us posted if you do contact them and get a response.
View Quote

this... personally I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with the sig brace
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good to me...though I wouldn't myself.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I like this set up you got.  Could you show us some pic how the picatinny rail adapter was mounted to the tube?  I also got the Thordsen tube on my pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe if I had a little experience with the cheek saddle it would make more sense. Is the rail just held in place by the tension from the saddle being tightened?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
KAK gen 2 tube with whatever QD plate you like. KAK tube has a QD on end also.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe if I had a little experience with the cheek saddle it would make more sense. Is the rail just held in place by the tension from the saddle being tightened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post a pic when I get on my computer. The adapter is held into place by the two slots that are part of the CAA saddle. I made it from a picatiny rail adapter designed to mount onto a strap, cut it down to size until it fit perfect. It's real solid once it's tightened by both ends.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#21]
More pics of the rail adapter. Held in place by the the two slots from the CAA saddle. It is held in place very solid by keeping the tolerances tight.

Made from this:
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
KAK gen 2 tube with whatever QD plate you like. KAK tube has a QD on end also.
View Quote

If you mean the tube for the SB15, no it doesn't. It's just a hole.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems to be stepping quite far over the pistol buffer tube and into a stock to me.
Whole lot of intent displayed here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My response was in response to your response further up in the thread and I quote you "Why not just get a QD end plate"  

Cause it won't likely work/fit  with the Thordsen...just look at the picture closely the Thordsen partially covers the end plate potential QD hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My response was in response to your response further up in the thread and I quote you "Why not just get a QD end plate"  

Cause it won't likely work/fit  with the Thordsen...just look at the picture closely the Thordsen partially covers the end plate potential QD hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His premise was to add a QD point for a sling, then he went into adding the Thordson and adding modifications in order to do so.  My question was simply, why buy all that shit just to add a QD point for a sling...

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

His premise was to add a QD point for a sling, then he went into adding the Thordson and adding modifications in order to do so.  
My question was simply, why buy all that shit just to add a QD point for a sling...  
View Quote

Sure seems like the "premise" was to use accepted bits and pieces to create a stock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure seems like the "premise" was to use accepted bits and pieces to create a stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His premise was to add a QD point for a sling, then he went into adding the Thordson and adding modifications in order to do so.  
My question was simply, why buy all that shit just to add a QD point for a sling...  

LINE: Important information: LINE....ta da!    
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be like saying SIG wanted to create a stock with the SB15, but we all know they just want to help shooters brace their pistols. In a similar manner, another veteran would like to help shooters attach a qd mount at the furthest point possible. Why should an owner of an AR pistol be limited to the current qd mounting solutions available?

Some slings work better with the mount in the rear

Additionally, It is not unusual to see pistols with retention lanyards when used with holsters. Say you wanted to holster an AR pistol, one mounting location for a qd retention lanyard would be as far back as possible to prevent your hand from getting tangled when trying to grasp the pistol grip.

Time to write to the tech branch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Time to write to the tech branch.
View Quote

It would be interesting to read their response, especially in light of the "shouldering-the-sig-brace-is-ok" letter.  I'm happy with my CAA saddle and QD end plate myself, but I can see why some people would prefer a sling mount on the very end of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I think its a good idea, and I am interested to know what the tech branch says also, so keep us updated.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#31]
All ears on this one!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Adding this to the subscriptions list...very curious what BATFE will have to say about it.  It's certainly a grey area that should be clarified.  OP, keep us posted if you do they contact them you and get a response shoot yer' dag.
View Quote

In for video of high speed BATFE operaters shootin' dag, kickin' in OP's door.

It is a logical development following BATFE's approval of the pistol brace.  Sometimes Tech Branch comes across as downright friendly...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Why push things, OP?  Don't get me wrong, I love what you've created, and your ingenuity, but realistically, we're going to get a tech branch determination that we don't like if we keep pushing it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why push things, OP?  Don't get me wrong, I love what you've created, and your ingenuity, but realistically, we're going to get a tech branch determination that we don't like if we keep pushing it.
View Quote

Not trying to start any pissing match with you Senoj, just stating my opinion.    

On a more serious note, I want to see the BATF response either way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I prefer the mounting point the QD mount provides when mounted in this location.

Here is another picture for size comparison, so you can get a better hint idea.
http://i.imgur.com/SVW5Fsdl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pardon the interruption... but who makes that stock on that rifle on the left??
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACE
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I would like to see this pistol tube setup done with a rifle length buffer extension. You could have a spacer placed inside to accept a carbine length spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#38]
I like it, though I personally like to keep my extension tubes relatively uncluttered. There's a furniture tip on one and a rubber cover on the other.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would like to see this pistol tube setup done with a rifle length buffer extension. You could have a spacer placed inside to accept a carbine length spring and buffer.
View Quote

The Thordsen cover does this, adds about an inch or so to the end.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why go to the trouble of using a spacer?   Rifle springs and buffers are cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why go to the trouble of using a spacer?   Rifle springs and buffers are cheap and reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a potential option if the std rifle spring and  rifle buffer proves to be finicky, though it will likely run just fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

That may be valid but two steps forward and one step back by the communists is what has brought us here.

We should maybe be using the same tactic.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That may be valid but two steps forward and one step back by the communists is what has brought us here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoever in Tech Branch pushed that SIG brace to approval is our friend.  I bet he or she knew exactly what they were doing & the can of worms it would open up.  "But its for the disabled veterans..."  "If it helps one disabled veteran..."  So OP has a worm, lets feed it to Tech Branch.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:52:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems to be stepping quite far over the pistol buffer tube and into a stock to me.
Whole lot of intent displayed here.
View Quote

I agree here.  It looks like it has no other purpose to me BUT to act as a stock
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That would be like saying SIG wanted to create a stock with the SB15, but we all know they just want to help shooters brace their pistols..........

View Quote

Yep,........they knew EXACTLY what they were creating, how it would be classified and how it would/could be used.
Only common sense,.........
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

QD end plate.  Mine's a Daniel Defense but lots of people make them. It's a $20 mod.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/AR45fan/IMG_4026_zps6ff9a5e2.jpg
View Quote

I think you're missing the OP's point, which has little to do with slings....and more so an ATF compliant AR pistol with a legally allowable method of essentially creating something of a usable shoulder stock.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think you're missing the OP's point, which has little to do with slings....and more so an ATF compliant AR pistol with a legally allowable method of essentially creating something of a usable shoulder stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/AR45fan/IMG_4026_zps6ff9a5e2.jpg

Seems like the set up is intentionally constructing a stock out parts. I hate the asinine laws dealing with SBR's as much as anybody else but that doesnt change the intent of the set-up the O.P posted.... which I like alot.. looks like a Mini- MFT Minimalist stock with storage

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a problem I face with my AR pistols which I am sure depending on the legality of it, others may too. I do not like the current available solutions to mount a QD sling to my ar pistol. Normally a stock may come with a QD mount  built in to the stock. However, on an ar pistol we cannot have a stock. This got me thinking of ways to mount a QD mount in the most useful way to allow the quick attachment and detachment of a sling while on the range to facilitate carrying the AR pistol with shorter slings. I have come up with the following idea which might change the way we mount slings to AR pistols.

***Testing was done on AR rifle for safety.***

Now we add the QD mount
http://i.imgur.com/QkBeyT6l.jpg

Sling attached to QD mount.
http://i.imgur.com/aT7dZ6wl.jpg

QD sling detached.
http://i.imgur.com/qS1RVxSl.jpg

Thoughts?
View Quote

Sorry, couldn't get everything else snipped out.  I understand the concerns based on what this "looks" like, however, if this were intended to be shouldered then I would argue that the sling swivel is in an awkward and uncomfortable position.  I know when I shoot my carbine length AR it is the bottom of the butt making contact with my shoulder, placing this setup's sling mount pressing into the shoulder, causing a pressure point.  Tech Branch's opinion may mimic these thoughts, but there is only one way to find out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I think the Tech Branch response would be along the same lines of the most recent letter regarding the sig brace and the legality of improper use. A QD connector is not a stock. When installed in such a position, yes, you might at first glance think the pistol has a "stock" in place, but you'll realize it's not. It's simply a cheek weld and a QD connector. Likewise, the profile of the Sig Brace might look like a "stock" but it's not a stock, plain and simple. Laws are most effective when they are black and white. And when there is any grey area, or confusion, it's official advisory opinions, or formal judicial decisions that clarify the grey back into black and white.

Furthermore, because of the orientation of the QD socket, towards the rear, you'll realize that when a QD sling is attached, that it interferes with the area on the rear of the socket and buffer tube that someone might argue could be used as a "stock". Well, it's obviously not useful as a stock with a sling attached, and that is the obvious purpose of the attachment point. Should you remove the sling from the QD socket and happen to use it in a fashion other than intended, it really doesn't change the fact that no "stock" is installed on the device.

Another way to look at this:  What if you installed a QD socket on the front rail at 9 oclock, and chose to misuse it in a fashion like a vertical foregrip. Does the QD socket become a vertical grip? No, it's just a QD attachment point being misused. This would not make the firearm subject to NFA control.

One last thing:  Please stop pestering the Tech Branch with letters upon letters upon letters. These people probably have plenty other things to do, and we don't need to ask them if painting a sig brace purple would alter it's classification just because you're butt hurt over an internet post.

Example of stupidity and what not to do:  "Duh, Mr. NFA-Guy what if I hand carved a shoulder STOCK out of balsa wood and superglued it to the back of my Sig Brace with the sole INTENT to only ever SHOULDER FIRE this newly constructed SHORT BARREL RIFLE that I will fire always with TWO HANDS, never one, would this still be a legal pistol or did I just have sexual relations with your mother?"

The Tech Branch is not Dear Abby, and they have more important things to deal with than breaking up an argument at your basement Call of Duty marathon Lan-party.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#50]
This innovation would seem to warrant a single letter to Tech Branch by the OP.  If he will indulge us, we will help him write it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top