User Panel

Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Nicademus:
File down the tab? I just wish I had something out of the box that worked properly. I don't think my rifle was done by Century. I don't see "century" anywhere on it although I could be wrong. ALL other mags I've used fit nicely.

However I have been contacted by a Tapco representative we believe its is because its on of the early magazine designs. I belive Tapco is going to help me out, which is great because I've heard they stand behind their products and its seems to be true.

Century or whoever, the rifle was imported as a single stack 10 round mag type rifle. Hence the “10” in the 10-63 model number. Century has imported probably  90% + of these rifles but either way, someone did the conversion and just about every mag latch trim is done free hand.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Nicademus:
File down the tab? I just wish I had something out of the box that worked properly. I don't think my rifle was done by Century. I don't see "century" anywhere on it although I could be wrong. ALL other mags I've used fit nicely.

However I have been contacted by a Tapco representative we believe its is because its on of the early magazine designs. I belive Tapco is going to help me out, which is great because I've heard they stand behind their products and its seems to be true.

I have never used Tapco mags, only steel AK mags of various make and model. I have experienced numerous problems with numerous WASR rifles and numerous makes and models of magazines. Those same magazines work fine in other rifles with no issues.

That leads me to believe the problem is almost assuredly your rifle, and not the magazines. As someone stated before the WASR's are supposedly ground on by someone with a dremel, and that means inconsistency.

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mini14jac] [#3]
I've got a Saiga that I converted myself, and assorted mags from Bulgaria, China, Romania, etc. that all fit.

Just got two Tapco mags, and they wouldn't lock in.

According to my micrometer, the locking lug is about .02" thicker than the other mags.
And, it appears that the added thickness is on the top of the lug.

So, I used a file on each mag to remove material from the top of the lug until each lug measured .2" thick at the very end.
(Same as my other mags.)
Only took a few swipes on each mag, and now the mags lock in fine.

The springs are very strong.
Had difficulty getting the last two rounds in each mag.
But, they both cycle rounds by hand, so they should work.
Hope to get to the range on Monday to find out.

Who would have thought that mags would be plentiful, and ammo scarce?
It's like we've fallen through the rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a WASAR and have to of the original steel mags. With those i have never had a jam. I bought a TAPCO poly mag to go with the furniture i bought from them a i am disappointed. A few weeks ago i took my new mag to the range to test it out after getting about half way through the 30rnds the gun jammed. I blamed my cheap WASAR so i cleared the jam and continued to shoot. I realoaded the mad with another 30 and again about half way through a jam. I again thought i was the gun ,but tried a steel mad. nothing all 30 no problem. I tried my second steel mag same thing no jams. So i loaded up the 30rnd TAPCO again and shot until it jammed. I took out the mag to see what was going on , and it seems that the poly follower is getting stuck do to the poly on poly friction. I asked around to a few friends and they all said that this problem wasn't uncommon the polymer seems to easily get jammed up on itself.

The furniture also seems to sit loosely on the gun, again it is a WASAR but it just seems the TAPCO stuff is not all that quality to me. I have seen it on different model AKs and it still just doesn't seem to fit all that tightly on the gun. Its not horrible but its still annoying. If anyone has different results with the WASAR let me know.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CH3TN1K:
I have a WASAR and have to of the original steel mags. With those i have never had a jam. I bought a TAPCO poly mag to go with the furniture i bought from them a i am disappointed. A few weeks ago i took my new mag to the range to test it out after getting about half way through the 30rnds the gun jammed. I blamed my cheap WASAR so i cleared the jam and continued to shoot. I realoaded the mad with another 30 and again about half way through a jam. I again thought i was the gun ,but tried a steel mad. nothing all 30 no problem. I tried my second steel mag same thing no jams. So i loaded up the 30rnd TAPCO again and shot until it jammed. I took out the mag to see what was going on , and it seems that the poly follower is getting stuck do to the poly on poly friction. I asked around to a few friends and they all said that this problem wasn't uncommon the polymer seems to easily get jammed up on itself.

The furniture also seems to sit loosely on the gun, again it is a WASAR but it just seems the TAPCO stuff is not all that quality to me. I have seen it on different model AKs and it still just doesn't seem to fit all that tightly on the gun. Its not horrible but its still annoying. If anyone has different results with the WASAR let me know.

You need new friends.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience with TAPCO magazies have been positive.  My recently bought WASR GP 10/63 came with two 30 rounders.., they snapped in perfectly without any movement (slop), I probably put 60 rounds through each of them without any type of failure.  Granted my metal Romanian mags are just as reliable and look better on the weapon (my opinion).  TAPCO's are fine for me and I wouldn't hesitate to pick a few up if the price was right.  Also, the TAPCO 20 rounders work great in both my SKS's.
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I too got a Tapco 30 round polymer mag awhile back, but just never have used it on my WASR.  I did not have any problems with fit, though.

I finally got it to the range this past weekend and I put about 60 rounds through it both slow and rapid fire and it worked flawlessly.  I was impressed enough that I think I'll buy a few more, especially at $14.95.  I think I actually picked mine up at a gunshow for $15.00 OTD.

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By STRIKER57:
My experience with TAPCO magazies have been positive.  My recently bought WASR GP 10/63 came with two 30 rounders.., they snapped in perfectly without any movement (slop), I probably put 60 rounds through each of them without any type of failure.  Granted my metal Romanian mags are just as reliable and look better on the weapon (my opinion).  TAPCO's are fine for me and I wouldn't hesitate to pick a few up if the price was right.  Also, the TAPCO 20 rounders work great in both my SKS's.

+1

TAPCO mags are the only ones that work reliably every time in the SKS.

I have a few for the AK, but I prefer the steels.

All my TAPCO AK mags have worked fine though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I like these mags, I have several.  I too had the problem with the jamming follower, here is the problem as per Tapco customer service: there was a small batch that got ar15 springs in them.  They sent me new correct springs in less than a week, once the new springs were in not a single problem and I was extremely impressed with their customer service it was A+.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't had a single problem from my Tapco magazines in either one of my WASR's. I think they are great magazines.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sure it was a Tapco 30rd Mag. that came with my TGI AMD-65, but most other items to make it 922r ready, were supplied by Tapco.
When I had it loaded full up with 30rds, then I set it down "not hard" butt first on carpeted floor, about five minuet's later I heard this bang and crashing sound. I found the Mag. bottom had blown out,sending the cover spring and follower and all 30rds flying all over the room.

My dealer gave me a one of his all steel Romanian 30rd Mags to replace the non-metal Mag.
Then Mags are built like tanks. I am not ranting on all non-metal Mags,the Arsenal circle 10 30rd Mag. that shipped with my Arsenal SGL20 SAIGA looks like it will go the test of time. Also Arsenal has posted their testing of them, this is a good sign to me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
My TGI AMD 65 came with a 20 round Promag not a Tapco.  Not sure if all are like that or not.  David
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I sure don't wish to bad mouth Tapco if it's not their Mag. I now know that the arsenal 30rd Mag. that came with my Arsenal SGL20, will not lock into my TGI AMD-65. Not a big deal all my other metal 30rd Mags. work fine, and I bought 3 of the Hungarian 20rd Mags from AIM Supply. They also work fine in both AKs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
any 5.45 updates?
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I'II get one if they come in PLUM
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
any 5.45 updates?

I got this message today from the tapco rep

Hello, pardon the delay... the weather treated us to a long weekend here in Atlanta. for the 5.45 mags... I have my fingers crossed to have samples for SHOT Show next week. If that happens, i'll be able to post pictures and information the week we get back.
Thanks for checking!

Dameian
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Any plans for Plum colored in the future?
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
any 5.45 updates?

I got this message today from the tapco rep

Hello, pardon the delay... the weather treated us to a long weekend here in Atlanta. for the 5.45 mags... I have my fingers crossed to have samples for SHOT Show next week. If that happens, i'll be able to post pictures and information the week we get back.
Thanks for checking!

Dameian

Very cool.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
The 5.45 mags are done, I saw them at shot show, didn't think to get any pics though. I was told that they should be available for sale in the next week or so. The look exactly like the ak47 mags just with less curve as all 74 mags have. They seem to fit well and are robust, and from what I am told they will be priced right around where most other 5.45 mags are.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
about $20
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#22]
about $20

Where did this number come from?

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
dude, honestly I just pulled that out of my ass
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#24]
dude, honestly I just pulled that out of my ass

I respect you for your honesty.

I think if TAPCO brings these 5.45 mags in at the same pricing point as their 7.62, they will have a winner.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I got mine for $20 from Aim a while back, it looks like Tapco's normal 47 mags cost $17 there, hopefully they at that price or much cheaper, that would be very nice
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had no issues with any of the tapco mags in my norinco AKs, yugo rpk or SKS. Their hand guards, grips, and stocks fit very well on my AKs also. A buddy of mine did the same except on a WASR10 and a yugo sks with the same results.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Go to the KVAR website and watch the drop tests on these mags. They'll make fine range mags and thats about it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MSTRGNR:
Go to the KVAR website and watch the drop tests on these mags. They'll make fine range mags and thats about it.

So they're only good for range work, plinking and general shooting activities?

I'll keep this in mind the next time I take my AK to war.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Some security contractors are using AK's in a combat zone hero. Being a combat vet, I know if I was armed with an AK, I wouldn't use the otherwise nice, Tapco mags. Got that?
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't stand know-it-all civilians ,who haven't seen a battle buddy get a baseball sized hole blown through his neck ,try to make witty retorts like you. You don't know what the future holds for you. You just might need to carry  your AK into a Civil War. Knowing your type though, I doubt if you have the balls.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I am very happy with mine.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd love to talk to you anytime offline HERO!
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:26:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NH_AR_Shooter] [#33]
I'd love to talk to you anytime offline HERO!

Is that supposed to be some sort of threat?

If it is, its pretty damned pathetic.

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:39:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NH_AR_Shooter] [#34]
I can't stand know-it-all civilians ,who haven't seen a battle buddy get a baseball sized hole blown through his neck ,try to make witty retorts like you. You don't know what the future holds for you. You just might need to carry your AK into a Civil War. Knowing your type though, I doubt if you have the balls.

Nevermind, you're not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Plum 5.45x39 20 & 30 round mags are what I want.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mak:
Plum 5.45x39 20 & 30 round mags are what I want.

Me 2!
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 5:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CopeLC] [#38]
My Romy came with 2.  I broke the tab off 1 from inserting and removing the mag within the first few minutes of taking the AK out of the box.  It locked in really hard and I could hardly move the mag lever.  I did get the mag out, but the tab snapped off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 8:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shawn_c992001] [#39]
I have a Saiga 7.62x39 for which I bought a Pro Mag Saiga specific mag, and this mag fits HORRIBLY!  Lots of wobble (fore and aft, and side to side) and feeds rounds worse than it fits!  Fully loaded and partially loaded the rounds rattle in the mag.  I do have a Bulgarian mag that fits alot better with no rattle (rounds or lock up).  I want to try the Tapco mags now if they are that good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By shawn_c992001:
I have a Saiga 7.62x39 for which I bought a Pro Mag Saiga specific mag, and this mag fits HORRIBLY!  Lots of wobble (fore and aft, and side to side) and feeds rounds worse than it fits!  Fully loaded and partially loaded the rounds rattle in the mag.  I do have a Bulgarian mag that fits alot better with no rattle (rounds or lock up).  I want to try the Tapco mags now if they are that good.

You need to have a bullet guide installed in the 7.62x39 Saiga I believe for Tapco mags.  In a 5.45x39 Saiga it will work without a bullet guide.

They don't seem to wobble.  I picked up a couple just to try.

If you don't have a bullet guide installed the Thermold AK mags will work without.  They were available for around $11.00 but I don't know if they are still around at that price. here

Install a dinzag bullet guide and use combloc mags.

Link Posted: 6/16/2010 1:22:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#41]
These look nice enough to me.  Looking for some 5.45 mags locally and haven't found any yet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought a WASR 10 a month or so ago. It came with two TAPCO mags. I took it to my local indoor range to test fire it. The mags wouldn't reliably feed.  They are tight in the weapon, but won't feed rounds.  Fortunately, I had bought a couple steel mags at the same time, so I had something to shoot with.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 10:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmts58] [#43]
Originally Posted By Blackhawk2001:
I bought a WASR 10 a month or so ago. It came with two TAPCO mags. I took it to my local indoor range to test fire it. The mags wouldn't reliably feed.  They are tight in the weapon, but won't feed rounds.  Fortunately, I had bought a couple steel mags at the same time, so I had something to shoot with.

I guess it really is pick of the pile, I took my brand new CA WASR10 to the range today, with two Tapco 30 rounders. Absolutely no malfunctions of rifle or magazine. 4" group, five rounds Silver Bear 123gr. HP, 25m, that's with out of box sights, no adjustment made, I don't have the tool.

EDIT- 40 total rounds shot, magazines were loaded with five rounds for testing purposes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#44]
the tapco that came with my wasr 10/63 fits in good with no wobble, fits in tight with my yugo, but not at all with my draco. So not sure what to say about that. Old steel mags all fit though. I would use for 922r compliance and range, but I wouldnt purposely buy one. I have another cheap plastic american mag, fits the draco perfectly and all other rifles but it has a bad rep. Its only for plinking/922r anyways
Link Posted: 12/1/2010 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Blackhawk2001:

Check your mag springs in your Tapco mags. This may have already been discovered/discussed, but Tapco screwed up big time a while back. They were putting AR springs in AK mags (shorter and thinner). I had one that was like this and my buddy had several. The AR spring was underpowered and a little too wide where they seated in the follower. This pushed the plastic sides of the follower out creating drag in the mag body. I contacted Tapco and they admitted to the screw up. They also shipped me a correct spring free of charge. I have a feeling this mishap is responsible for so many bad reviews and experiences when they first came out. It might not help you, but I'm sure it will help someone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Haven't had any issues with mine. Did have 5 or 6 with the wrong spring, but Tapco sent out the right ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CopeLC:
My Romy came with 2.  I broke the tab off 1 from inserting and removing the mag within the first few minutes of taking the AK out of the box.  It locked in really hard and I could hardly move the mag lever.  I did get the mag out, but the tab snapped off.

It's a problem common with Romanian AKs. My WASR10 has a mag catch that wont let let get go of my Bulgarian steel mags unless I hold it upside down and press the release in a very specific way. I'm considering taking it to Rife Dynamics to get everything smoothed out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#48]
I have some of the Tapco 30 rounders in tan color.  I have shot hundreds of rounds out of them with not a single
malfunction or failure to feed or fire. It locks up tight and releases just as easy as any of the comy mags.
I am not thinking that I will need to worry about a T-72 tank running over it and if it does I will have a lot
more to worry about than my mag holding up.  6 loaded Tapco mags weigh about the same as 5 loaded
steel mags.  This is a quality product but if you are a skeptic, you will not break the bank by trying one. If you
really prefer the steel mags, give it to a friend. Nutnfancy has shot thousands of rounds through these with
no issues ever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Took the rifle out to the range again this weekend and ran another couple hundred rounds through
the Tapco 30 round Magazine.  Standing, kneeling, prone with the weight of the rifle and me leaning
on the mag, shooting sideways on the ground simulating shooting under a vehicle and not one
misfire, misfeed or failure to fire.  Functioned perfectly every round.  A nice product.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I have 10 of them.  I'm close to 4k rounds through them without a single problem.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top