BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The 20 round mag that came with my AMD-65 has been flawless. The 30 round magazine that I bought had some initial feeding problems and would only hold 28 rounds. I left it loaded with 28 for a week, and then was able to get 30 in it. It also started to feed flawlessly and has ever since.

Nice mags.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
These are the only mags I have been able to use out of the box on my home build AK-74 with out any work.... Pro Mag you have to grind the lip.... Great mag I have 4 of these and only 2 of the Pro,s
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Biggest waste of money and time I've ever had the misfortune of falling for.  

looks like I now have 4 OD green tapco targets to destroy when i build my first AR
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just picked up three of these.  My brand new SA-93 will be here Tuesday so I can try them out =)
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SmokieMcGee:

looks like I now have 4 OD green tapco targets to destroy when i build my first AR

Well if your just going to shoot them ill pay shipping!
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I HAVE SEVERAL NEW TAPCO MAGS AND I BELIEVE THERE TOP NOTCH FOR POLY MAGS AND IF YOUR GONNA HUMP ACROSS THE LAND ITS A GREAT WAY TO CUT WEIGHT AS 1 STEEL MAG IS APROX SAME WEIGHT AS 2 TAPCOS ALSO THE FOLLOWER FITTMENT IS SUPERB AND WILL ONLY LET THE FINEST OF GRIT IN. THUMBS UP TAPCO FROM ME.
BOB
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:

I HAVE SEVERAL NEW TAPCO MAGS AND I BELIEVE THERE TOP NOTCH FOR POLY MAGS AND IF YOUR GONNA HUMP ACROSS THE LAND ITS A GREAT WAY TO CUT WEIGHT AS 1 STEEL MAG IS APROX SAME WEIGHT AS 2 TAPCOS ALSO THE FOLLOWER FITTMENT IS SUPERB AND WILL ONLY LET THE FINEST OF GRIT IN. THUMBS UP TAPCO FROM ME.

BOB

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE INSIST ON TYPING LIKE THIS

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
4 tapco's and zero problems. comparing to my steel mags just as good if not better, MAYBE  if i used the inserted mags to hammer nails the steel mags would proof stronger, but i dont use my ak as a hammer. (atleast not that way) its astonishing how people bicker about these. excellent value tapco!
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
it doesn't fit my Polish 1960 Milled AK
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anybody had problems with these not fitting in the magwell? A while back I got 2 Tapcos that came with a WASR and they wouldn't fit in my SAR1 or Norinco, not even close. I would have had to sand the sides of them quite a bit as they were way too thick. All of the .mil spec steel mags I have were VERY loose in the WASR magwell.

Maybe they were a batch that was out of spec? Other than the failure to fit in 2 other rifles magwells they seemed well built but you shouldn't have to modify them to fit or is this common with these?
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered six a few weeks ago.  As tested this past weekend, they all work flawlessly in my Interarms '47.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CopeLC:
My Romy came with 2.  I broke the tab off 1 from inserting and removing the mag within the first few minutes of taking the AK out of the box.  It locked in really hard and I could hardly move the mag lever.  I did get the mag out, but the tab snapped off.

^this. as sexy as these mags are, they are CRAP without a steel mag catch....i would gladly pay a few $$$ more for this feature....one good pop on the back of the mag and the tiny plastic catch snaps right off....both of mine broke within a few weeks.....dont waste your money unless TAPCO fixes this problem......
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one for my 7.62's and it works great.Im going to try out a couple of the 74 mags. Generally I stick to surplus mags but they are great for 922 compliance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Damiean I am seeing on your site these at the 10$ price, Im reading the forum and it seems they started out alot more. I want to pick up 10 or so for my Krebs Ak to save on shipping. If these do not stand up will I be able to return them, Im not spetznaz or doing anything but range shooting and if the end of the world happens wont need returns I guess. Also I want to know how can I tell the difference from the old (lesser quality from what I hear) from the new and improved ones, so if I order from a supplier I can know before they ship them. Is it just the side stamp Tapco USA and the follower that says USA or is there more?
hoping to order tomorrow so if you could let me know!
Thanks for all the active responses here, forums bring out the most difficult people to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a video of your quality control tests, I see them beating on it, but if you know a weak point they do not then show it. Im sure they would send your money back and pay return shipping.

Originally Posted By ZombieGunner:
My Romy came with 2.  I broke the tab off 1 from inserting and removing the mag within the first few minutes of taking the AK out of the box.  It locked in really hard and I could hardly move the mag lever.  I did get the mag out, but the tab snapped off.

^this. as sexy as these mags are, they are CRAP without a steel mag catch....i would gladly pay a few $$$ more for this feature....one good pop on the back of the mag and the tiny plastic catch snaps right off....both of mine broke within a few weeks.....dont waste your money unless TAPCO fixes this problem......

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought 2 (7.62)at a vegas show right after the obamination started and they have been reliable and fit fine in  
hungarian SA85m
romy build on a NDS receiver
milled bulgarian receiver build
im not throwing out the bulg waffle mags or the euro steel mags I have but these give me 3 US parts and there available in FDE

will be trying a couple of the 5.45 mags in the near future
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheGrandIllusion:
The 20 round mag that came with my AMD-65 has been flawless. The 30 round magazine that I bought had some initial feeding problems and would only hold 28 rounds. I left it loaded with 28 for a week, and then was able to get 30 in it. It also started to feed flawlessly and has ever since.

Nice mags.

Mine have been flawless as well but I can only seat them with 28, will have to leave them loaded for a week after I shoot Saturday, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's my humble opinion as a newbie to AR15.com. I have owned a Norinco AK since 1989 and have put a few thousand rounds through it over the years. I have a variety of mags for it; the original Chinese that came with it, steel East German, poly Bulgarian, Pro-Mag and recently Tapco. I have never had an issue with any of the steel mags or the polymer mags. For the purpose of this post I will confine my comments to Pro-Mag and Tapco. First off, the retention lip on the front of the magazine is deeper and far more robust on the Tapco than on the Pro-Mag. The lug on the back is more robust as well. Interestingly, the Tapco's I have required only a few insertions and removals before they fit smoothly as any of my steel mags. Both of my Pro-Mags however, required me to file material from the underside of the lug before they would seat and allow the mag release to click into place. To be that out of tolerance on an AK is somewhat troubling. The Pro-mags have "flex" to them which has always made me a little nervous; the Tapcos are much more rigid. The Tapco mags also have a metal base plate instead of plastic like the Pro-Mag. To be fair, I have not had a feed failure with any of these magazines, Pro-Mag included. They have performed well at the range which is probably the environment they were intended for. In a real-life situation where my safety or that of my family depended it, or in extreme environmental conditions, I would probably leave the Pro-Mags out of my kit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 10 tapcos for an ak-47 and 4 for a ak-74, all feed just fine, all work as they should.  I don't know what you guys are doing with your mags, but unless your at war with them, I fail to see how they do not function?  I go to the range and pits, shoot 100's of rounds and nothing jams, I think some of you just think you need to spend $50 on a mag, then prove to yourself that it is better.  I would bet 99% of you will never take these mags to battle, and if you do, I am sure you can find some metal ones laying on the ground you can pick up.

People just need to spend tons of money to make themselves feel better I think.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Bought two 20's at CTD last week, and had to file to fit...but on closer inspection, found I was suffering from the blind drunk monkey magwell cut job.  Fixed that with my dremel and jewelers files, and noow they fit great, alneit a tad loose due the filing I did on the mags.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#23]
No isues on the 20s and 30s that I have used.  Still like the metal mags but at the end of the day if it works, then fine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Only had to insert mine a few times and it was good. I have a 30 round. But there is more to the story.... I bought this mag at a gunshow for 10 bucks. I did not bother to look at the capacity. Silly me. it was sized like a 30 round but was a blocked 10 rounder. So, figuring all I need was a spring and floorplate retainer to make it a 30 rounder, I contacted TAPCO to get pricing info. Well after some email tag and it was very friendly and polite emails from them, the sent me what I needed.....for free. They have great customer service. My rifle is a WASR-10.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:12:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tekkitan] [#25]

Way to elaborate on your problem with the mags.

Last year they handed a few out at a two day shooting fest near me. They used them to prop up tables, taped them to their feet like sandals, opened beers with them, threw them in mud, hammered in tent stakes and more punishment to them. Without cleaning them or anything popped 30 rounds into them and shot and fed like champs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:42:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a boatload to stay 922R compliant with my AMD 65s. The orange ones look awesome IMO.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#27]

I'll take'em.  Wait, you were saying that you are trying to get rid of them right?
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I know I'm late to the party, but I have 8 tapco 30 rounders for my Romanian WASR10, and they all function flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Please tapco make smooth sided 20 round mags in 7.62 and 5.45.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 1:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: isplice] [#30]
Here is what I got from Tapco six days ago when I asked about them making smooth side 5.45 mags:

"Thanks for checking with us !

The honest answer is that we may or may not make them.  We’ll probably evaluate how well the AK-47 smoothside mags sell, and then make a decision based on that.   So right now it’s on the “maybe” list.  I think if you give us 6 months or so I’ll have a more definite answer for you.

Again, thank you for the kind words and for choosing TAPCO.

Kevin

Kevin Stender

Client Relations Supervisor

www.tapco.com"
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#31]
would love to get some of those if they made them with metal mag lips, I think they are missing out on that niche market since there is an apparent lack of surplus mags coming in
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I retract my earlier ingnorance, after actually learning a lot more about the wildly varying tolorances involved in WASR10 mag housings, and general research done, I apologize for the stupidity. I have since "manned up" and filed them, and they fit fine, a good bit of material was removed from the front left locking tab, the sides, and a small amount on the rear left and right tabs bedside the rear locking lip. But I recently got rid of the rifle, due to other issues with quality, and purchased a 5.45 74, and the tapco mag included functions flawlessly and I plan on purchasing many more, especially if I see some PLUM hitting the shelves, but black looks great too!
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Picked up 2 of these NIB today at gun show for $7 each, seem to be really solid and feed well. Probably going back to pick up a few more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 5:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLA] [#34]
<NO FREE ADVERTISING> - JLA
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 12:28:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZombieGunner] [#35]
Originally Posted By irierider:
Get a video of your quality control tests, I see them beating on it, but if you know a weak point they do not then show it. Im sure they would send your money back and pay return shipping.

Originally Posted By ZombieGunner:

There were no "torture tests" done to the mags, one broke off in normal use, the other broke off with a slight hit to the mag.

Originally Posted By Damiean:
Originally Posted By irierider:
Hey Damiean I am seeing on your site these at the 10$ price, Im reading the forum and it seems they started out alot more. I want to pick up 10 or so for my Krebs Ak to save on shipping. If these do not stand up will I be able to return them, Im not spetznaz or doing anything but range shooting and if the end of the world happens wont need returns I guess. Also I want to know how can I tell the difference from the old (lesser quality from what I hear) from the new and improved ones, so if I order from a supplier I can know before they ship them. Is it just the side stamp Tapco USA and the follower that says USA or is there more?
hoping to order tomorrow so if you could let me know!
Thanks for all the active responses here, forums bring out the most difficult people to deal with.

Hello there!
There were some spring issues and tab issues a year or so ago.. maybe two years ago at this point.  But yes, we've worked those issues out and everything that you would get now should be the current design.  if for any reason your mags fail you, of course we will make it good for you.  I think you'll be pleased with them.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Im not sure what you mean by "issues" with the tab. Like I said I loved your mags, I had two in OD green for my AK74. Im not sure that steel feed lips are absolutly necessary, but I cant understand how a tiny piece of plastic tab is supposed to take any strain. If you could just put a small steel tab in the back (like every military issue mag), you would have a very winning design. It doesnt matter if there were issues with the tab, plastic is plastic. There is a reason why US Palm spent the money to put metal locking tabs in their product.

Originally Posted By gasitman:
I have 10 tapcos for an ak-47 and 4 for a ak-74, all feed just fine, all work as they should.  I don't know what you guys are doing with your mags, but unless your at war with them, I fail to see how they do not function?  I go to the range and pits, shoot 100's of rounds and nothing jams, I think some of you just think you need to spend $50 on a mag, then prove to yourself that it is better.  I would bet 99% of you will never take these mags to battle, and if you do, I am sure you can find some metal ones laying on the ground you can pick up.

People just need to spend tons of money to make themselves feel better I think.

Well military surplus mags can often be found cheaper than these, so your argument doesnt hold up very well. They dont need to be metal to be tough, many mil-surp mags arent metal-bodied and are very tough. The problem is that they have metal at crucial points, whereas these dont.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top