Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2015 11:53:21 AM EDT
I just purchased a "KALASHNIKOV CONCERN AK47 SAIGA IZ132L" and am looking for advice on how to and where to get parts for its final conversion.

This is what I have:

And...this is what I want it to look like:

Specifically, I want a the muzzle brake, as seen, and I want to know a cost effective way to install it.  I saw some videos on cutting and threading the barrel, but a tool investment of over $100 would be part of that deal, not including the brake. I wonder if there's a less expensive way to go about it.  I want the stock (does not have to fold) and the pistol grip and forend.  Where can I purchase these items?  I'm also open for any other suggestions for the conversion.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
side folder will most likely need to be sent to an AK smith, unless you're really good with tools and what not. I recommend Matt Yeamans. He usually has quick turn around and good prices. Plenty of other good choices out there though.

For the front end, here is my tutorial write up

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/152759_SAIGA_full_conversion_tutorial.html

If you're going to add a folder, I recommend that you replace the trigger guard. Of course, by the time you're done with all this, you could buy a 107FR.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the finished product!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for providing the link.  Very informative.  I'll be concentrating on the "front end".  I don't have a strong feeling on the folding stock either way, so that decision is a simple one.  Now I just have to start gathering parts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I think for the price of the full conversion you could just as well buy the second rifle for the price of the first and parts.  I've thought about going a cheaper way to get a similar look to the 107fr you have posted.  The frontend parts needed would be a....

gas tube....gas tube

upper and lower hand guards...hand guards

lower hand guard bracket such as this one...saiga hand guard bracket

Flash hider...flash hider

Tap....tap

The total is 201.75 for the parts minus shipping which is a little cheaper than a 107fr depending on how much you pay for the saiga.  I think over time they can be gathered cheaper or maybe someone else can lead us both to cheaper sources.  Here's my disclaimer...I've not done this swap though I'm considering so make sure these are the correct parts and tools for you.  I've never purchased from Carolina shooters nor am I connected to them in any way.  They just had the easiest website to navigate this morning.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry but the best option is to sell it and buy an SLR-107FR, or if it must be Russian, get an SGL-21/61 and have the folding stock installed.

You will pay a premium for Russian barrel components and folding trunnion, so if you want those parts at a reasonable cost you'll be buying Bulgarian surplus any way - you won't end up with a 100% Russian rifle unless you pay the premium. APEX, Robert RTG and K-Var typically have the barrel components of gas block, FSB, muzzle brake, and HG retainer - but in total these add up to a few hundred dollars now.

In my experience even if your Saiga has pinned barrel components, they may need to be cut off unless you have a press. Mine were the dimpled components, and I tried drilling out the dimples first, but this didn't work. I ended up slicing them down the middle with a Dremel cutting wheel, then split them open with a screwdriver, then they slid off the barrel by hand.

You will need 3mm bits to drill the pin channels, and this can be carefully done with a hand drill, but drill press is best.

Generally the Bulgarian barrel components will fit well enough that you can knock them on with a plastic dead blow hammer and get them positioned correctly with ease - I recommend polishing the barrel channel in the components and using anti-seize compound. Check with calipers prior to installation to make sure the components are not undersized, you may have to run an emery cloth to them - the press fit tolerance is something like .003-.004", anything less and they might bind up.

If your Saiga barrel has the side channel cuts for the handguard retainer you are ahead of the game. Some don't, If the cuts are there you will still need to locate the retainer and cut a pin channel. In my case I found a suitable round file that fit the channel on another AK, then worked it by hand gradually. I determined the correct point of the channel by installing the handguard and retainer, scribing a mark at the face of the retainer, then measuring the distance from the retainer face to the center of the pin. Then remove the retainer, and scribe a center point mark at the distance you measured from the face scribe. Using your center point scribe you can began filing Stop filing when the retainer fit is tight enough that it requires use of the cleaning kit tool to open/close, otherwise you may end up with a floppy retainer lever.  Use a true AK-74 handguard if possible for fitting the retainer, you do not want to fit the retainer to a non-stanndard handguard e.g. Tapco.

I did the full conversion on a Saiga .223 back when AK-74 parts kits were about $100/ea, so I just bought a couple. In hindsight given the amount of work involved I should have just bought an SLR-106FR.

If you do the conversion I would agree on swapping out the trigger guard/mag catch, or at least buy one of the milled Saiga trigger guards from Carolina Shooter Supply. The reworked sporter trigger guard isn't really dimensionally correct (a bit too small) and likes to bend when the pistol grip nut is cranked down, allowing the pistol grip to loosen up again over time..
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for everyone's input.  I'm really looking forward to starting this project.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for everyone's input.  I'm really looking forward to starting this project.
View Quote
if you use the tutorial, please feel free to IM me or email me with any questions. I don't know where you are located, but if you're anywhere near Houston, I'd be happy to help you.

I also know for a fact that I have a FSB and a bolt on HG retainer that I will put towards your project if you're having a hard time sourcing the parts. Caveat, the FSB did not work on my last conversion, was too lose on the barrel.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top