Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2013 1:29:23 PM EDT
1. Download Firefox https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-18.0.1&os=win&lang=en-US
2. Donwload Add-On Update Scanner https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/update-scanner/
3. Follow the guide and profit! http://sourceforge.net/p/updatescanner/wiki/Home/

Some things to remember when you set a page to scan, don't log into a site like midway or brownells, and always put the per page items to the max, and make sure it only shows in stock items, if not you will get a lot of false replies.

If you still can't figure it out, post in here and I'll help you.

*edit*

If you have a Galaxy S3 or any android phone and have it rooted, you can have it go straight to your phone, that's how I have it setup so when I am on the road I can still scan.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
But please share the wealth if you find something, I constantly post stuff I don't need because I believe in helping the community weed out the gougers and getting prices back to normal for the people who need the parts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It makes a bookmark folder in Firefox, so technically we could pool together one huge ass set of bookmarks and be the ultimate part finders!

*edit* Before anyone cries about OMG now the gougers are gonna know how to get stuff....they already knew.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you. This should work awesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Have to remember, EVERYONE is signed up for email alerts, so there is thousands probably 10,000+ on some sites. Their pop/smtp email server can't handle that load, this add-on will tell you right then and there. Don't rely on the dealer/manufacturer's websites, they are taking way to much of a load as it is.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
When you say: "and always put the per page items to the max, and make sure it only shows in stock items, if not you will get a lot of false replies"

What do you mean?  I currently have some monitors on AIM set to "All webpage modifications cause notification" and "Ignore changes to number" checked however I get all sorts of false alarms.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When you say: "and always put the per page items to the max, and make sure it only shows in stock items, if not you will get a lot of false replies"

What do you mean?  I currently have some monitors on AIM set to "All webpage modifications cause notification" and "Ignore changes to number" checked however I get all sorts of false alarms.

Okay say it has a selector for 8, 12, 32, 96 items per page. Set it to the max number, and most sites have a filter for In stock, back order, etc.... make sure the filter is set for in stock, and if you are  a member of that site make sure you are logged out prior to setting the scan.

For sites like AIM, you have to set it for item by item, but it goes quick.... my list is fucking huge and I get a false only when I forget to log out of the websites.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay say it has a selector for 8, 12, 32, 96 items per page. Set it to the max number, and most sites have a filter for In stock, back order, etc.... make sure the filter is set for in stock, and if you are  a member of that site make sure you are logged out prior to setting the scan.

For sites like AIM, you have to set it for item by item, but it goes quick.... my list is fucking huge and I get a false only when I forget to log out of the websites.

Yeah I am monitoring by item for AIM, however almost every time it refreshes it says the page has been updated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I am monitoring by item for AIM, however almost every time it refreshes it says the page has been updated.

make sure you arn't logged in, you are not looking by number, etc.... just play with it and you will get it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

make sure you arn't logged in, you are not looking by number, etc.... just play with it and you will get it.

Just as an example I am monitoring one item I have the following settings:

Autoscan - 15 Minutes
Change Threshold - low, any webpage changes cause a notification

So on Change Threshold you have it set to High (Major Changes are Ignored)?

Being logged in really causes problems on AIM?  If so, that may be it if my other settings are okay.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Autoscan - 15 Minutes

Being logged in really causes problems on AIM?  If so, that may be it if my other settings are okay.

Yes because if you set the scan page when you were logged in, it is going to look for those protocols like "Welcome back "X" user" and when it doesn't see that it will ding a false.

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Autoscan - 15 Minutes

log into AIM...set autoscan to 5 minutes, with the change threshold at highest...it will only go off whan it goes back in stock....works perfect. Also, on aim, put a test order thru, write down the web address's on the adress bar, keep them handy so that you can write the website in if the site gets overwhelmed...if you do that it will jump thru to checkout
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Autoscan - 15 Minutes

log into AIM...set autoscan to 5 minutes, with the change threshold at highest...it will only go off whan it goes back in stock....works perfect. Also, on aim, put a test order thru, write down the web address's on the adress bar, keep them handy so that you can write the website in if the site gets overwhelmed...if you do that it will jump thru to checkout

Okay great.. So you are using it with aim, and logged in and it's alerting even with threshold set to highest?  Cool..

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
See I didn't even know that, I have all of mine on AIM set piece by piece not logged in but it works, like I said once you play with it for a bit you will get the hang. At least we have people who will comment and show better ways of doing it too. This could be epic!
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
See I didn't even know that, I have all of mine on AIM set piece by piece not logged in but it works, like I said once you play with it for a bit you will get the hang. At least we have people who will comment and show better ways of doing it too. This could be epic!

I've actually been monitoring via some chrome addons and curl via linux box for the past few days.  Wasn't using the firefox plugin, but it appears to eat less memory than the chrome addon.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Autoscan - 15 Minutes

Okay great.. So you are using it with aim, and logged in and it's alerting even with threshold set to highest?  Cool..

yup, the first time it scans, it will ding the logged in...after that it compares everytime to the last scan..any changes are picked up...n Bravo, they have cycling items always changing on the bottom of the page, set it over to the right and it will only pick up in or out of stock....
Also, set thye scan page to the one that lists ALL of the uppers or bolt carrier parts and it yelps at any of the items coming in
Got my nephew a 16" middy with rail on Bravo and tonight i got the 16" middy by this setup
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Very informative for the technology challenged. Any other great tips?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#17]
so are you guys using the add-on listed in OP?

i see some talk about having it filter for "in stock", i can't for the life of me find any options to alert when those words are on the refreshed page.  seems like that would do the best job.

i had mine set for any small change, got false positives, now i'm set to max on the change bar, but i'm scared because i've gotten no notifications for an hour or so.

thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i see some talk about having it filter for "in stock", i can't for the life of me find any options to alert when those words are on the refreshed page.  seems like that would do the best job.

i had mine set for any small change, got false positives, now i'm set to max on the change bar, but i'm scared because i've gotten no notifications for an hour or so.

thanks again!

Just find a site like midway and test it.

Set the scan page with you logged in.

And scan it not logged in, so you can see if your settings are working im here today so if you need help i'll be around.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Also make sure under settings you have it default to update the program, because the coder is making changes to it and you never know what they will add to it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to remember, EVERYONE is signed up for email alerts, so there is thousands probably 10,000+ on some sites. Their pop/smtp email server can't handle that load, this add-on will tell you right then and there. Don't rely on the dealer/manufacturer's websites, they are taking way to much of a load as it is.

CMP M2AP fiasco a few years ago - Their SMTP servers took 4 yours to send all the emails, but they sold out in 2 hours.  There were LOTS of people that logged in immediately after getting the email only to find "Sold Out".

A month later it all shows up at gun shows at 100% markup with "You can't get it from the CMP anymore".  

Which invites the question, how do SMTP servers determine the order in which to send bulk emails?  Alpha by user name?  By domain name? By magic?  I could get a gmail account for "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR2point0" and get first pick.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

thanks again!

Some web sites allow you to filter on "brand", "category", or "in-stock" items.  That's what they mean, the filter is on the web site, not the plug-in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you!!!

So, how does it alert me to the changes?  Do I need to leave firefox open?  Does it play a sound?

I see the arrow at the bottom of the page, but don't see how it alerts me...
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thank you!!!

So, how does it alert me to the changes?  Do I need to leave firefox open?  Does it play a sound?

I see the arrow at the bottom of the page, but don't see how it alerts me...

It pops up a purple arrow and sound, I have my sprint droid phone rooted, and I just sit around and hit scan every now and then from my phone lol not even at the computer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#24]
ive been messing around with this.   So far all ive added is a bunch of midway pages, brownells, and aim

what other websites should i add?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ive been messing around with this.   So far all ive added is a bunch of midway pages, brownells, and aim

what other websites should i add?

Windham Weaponry
Bravo Company
Del Ton
Red X Arms
PK Firearms
Fulton Armory
Slickdeals
Rguns
Black Weapons Armory
Spike Tactical
Third Coast Armory
Impact Guns
JSE Surplus
Palmetto State armory
Joeboboutfitters
national gun supply
jabatac
westernsportonline

there are more that is just off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#26]
these are all non gouging sites?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
these are all non gouging sites?

Oh that I can't tell you, I use any site as reference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I tried to set it up on the powdervalleyinc.com website.  I had never noticed before but when you go to different pages on the site, the URL in the address window of the browser never changes.  My plan was to set a search up for a powder brand page and a bullet brand page and a primer brand page but they all have the URL of the home page.  Any way to make the plugin work on that site?

Thanks for the tips you've already given.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Any way you can get it to send you an e-mail like to a Blackberry?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Any suggestions for plugins or add-ons that will send email notifications? I Cant set this up and monitor it all day while I am on my work laptop. I need to be able to get the info on my phone which is android but not rooted.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Ya know, when it comes down to this, i'd say the buying frenzy has gotten pretty mindless now, people are buying like rats pushing a button for a food pellet when they aren't even hungry.

Gonna be funny come summer, when all the credit card bills come due, supply overwhelms demand, and the prices crash to less than what people paid BEFORE the panic. I've traded stocks long enough to know exactly how this works, noobs are gonna crap their pants when all extra the cheap plastic lowers they paid a premium for won't even sell at 20 bucks a pop.

I'll buy a few things then, when complete uppers are 250 bucks and stripped lowers are back to 59.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
1. Download Firefox https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-18.0.1&os=win&lang=en-US
2. Donwload Add-On Update Scanner https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/update-scanner/
3. Follow the guide and profit! http://sourceforge.net/p/updatescanner/wiki/Home/

Some things to remember when you set a page to scan, don't log into a site like midway or brownells, and always put the per page items to the max, and make sure it only shows in stock items, if not you will get a lot of false replies.

*edit*

If you have a Galaxy S3 or any android phone and have it rooted, you can have it go straight to your phone, that's how I have it setup so when I am on the road I can still scan.

First of all, thank you so much for helping a noob out on how to do this add on thing, it has been a blast.   Secondly, I can't seem to find an options section on firefox where it will allow me to just see the list of all the updates I have going and manage them.  Is there such a thing?  How do you manage them, or at least see what you have so you aren't duplicating things?  Thanks again!

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

*edit*

First of all, thank you so much for helping a noob out on how to do this add on thing, it has been a blast.   Secondly, I can't seem to find an options section on firefox where it will allow me to just see the list of all the updates I have going and manage them.  Is there such a thing?  How do you manage them, or at least see what you have so you aren't duplicating things?  Thanks again!

Yeah, good luck with that, you will have endless hours of fun trying to tweak it, most webpages are dynamic these days, AIM surplus is an excellent example, rotating ads and banners and such. What will happen is you'll get a gazillion notifications that a page has changed and you'll get all excited but once you get there, you'll see that nothing has changed but the banner. In the meantime, you, along with every other person using this type of thing, will be sucking up mountains of bandwidth, and repeatedly cause sites to shut down due to automatic DDOS protection engaging. In some cases, your own ISP will throttle your bandwidth because it thinks you are launching attacks.

This kind of irresponsible use of cheap and poorly coded add-ons is an annoyance at best, and a serious problem at it's worst, at times y'all are getting vendors sites locked up because of it, keep screwing around and ISP's will oblige you by limiting EVERYBODY's bandwidth and the amount of inquiries any single IP can make to single sites.

Not that hard to write a script to check specific elements of a select few sites. This shotgun approach is in very poor taste and you will piss off real net ninjas at some point doing it.

ETA: A good admin, can easily write a script to deny on an IP basis, any single IP that makes multiple inquiries in a certain amount of time, keep fucking around and sites will start denying you access period.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

*edit*

Not at my computer with the Scanner, but I use the Firefox addon too.  At the top of the screen, click on "Tools" or "help".  I think it is tools, and there will be a line on there that says "Update  Scanner...somthing or other".  Click on that and it will bring up a little box with the items that you are scanning.  You can delete and do some other things.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Another tip that works better for me, is to scan the actual pages in this forum.  Go to the thread of the item you are looking for, such as "ammunition", or "magazines",  or "IN STOCK lower receivers".  Go to the last page of the thread, and scan that page.  I actually scored my complete upper, my BCG, and some ammo by doing this.  Now you'll have to watch when it goes to another page, you'll have to go and scan the new page, and delete the old one.  Worked really well for me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Can this be set up on an iPad?
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#37]
So I am monitoring AIM. Is it fine to have it scan on multiple pages? Like a page for each of the lowers they sell?
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Tried to download the addon to my Firefox on my Samsung S3 and I'm getting an error message saying it is not compatible with Firefox 18. Naturally the addon says it works with Firefox 13 or later...WTF. Any ideas?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tried to download the addon to my Firefox on my Samsung S3 and I'm getting an error message saying it is not compatible with Firefox 18. Naturally the addon says it works with Firefox 13 or later...WTF. Any ideas?

Jim

Is your galaxy Rooted or factory from the store?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Factory.  Everything is up to date as far as  I know.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Factory.  Everything is up to date as far as  I know.

Yeah, my phone is rooted (jailbreak) whatever term you are familiar with.... ummm try google chrome on your galaxy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Jim

I am experiencing the same issue. My device is rooted. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

I am experiencing the same issue. My device is rooted. Any thoughts?

Did you try using chrome, or some of the other variants? I am using firefox on mine and it work's, I am running Jellybean no mods, basically just rooted with bloatware removed.
Without looking also I am sure there is a way you can get an older version of firefox also on it.... would have to look into it, but im sure it is possible.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#44]
bump people have been sending me PM's about this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, good luck with that, you will have endless hours of fun trying to tweak it, most webpages are dynamic these days, AIM surplus is an excellent example, rotating ads and banners and such. What will happen is you'll get a gazillion notifications that a page has changed and you'll get all excited but once you get there, you'll see that nothing has changed but the banner. In the meantime, you, along with every other person using this type of thing, will be sucking up mountains of bandwidth, and repeatedly cause sites to shut down due to automatic DDOS protection engaging. In some cases, your own ISP will throttle your bandwidth because it thinks you are launching attacks.

This kind of irresponsible use of cheap and poorly coded add-ons is an annoyance at best, and a serious problem at it's worst, at times y'all are getting vendors sites locked up because of it, keep screwing around and ISP's will oblige you by limiting EVERYBODY's bandwidth and the amount of inquiries any single IP can make to single sites.

Not that hard to write a script to check specific elements of a select few sites. This shotgun approach is in very poor taste and you will piss off real net ninjas at some point doing it.

ETA: A good admin, can easily write a script to deny on an IP basis, any single IP that makes multiple inquiries in a certain amount of time, keep fucking around and sites will start denying you access period.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, saving all us mere mortals from our ignorance by writing the One True Way to keep up with in stock items.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, saving all us mere mortals from our ignorance by writing the One True Way to keep up with in stock items.

lol I didn't even read that post.... If you would see how many pages my scanner goes through, and I may get a FEW false results, because I forget to logout of the site, or I look at an item and it puts it in my recently reviewed. I was scanning so many websites that I split the job between two computers, just so it would go quicker. It does not take endless hours of tweaking...and lol at saying stuff like this will do blah blah blah.....do you really think the gougers are not using this type of software....give me a break. I guess we just rely on no one talking in threads and just posting links and that will get everyone what they need.

The more I read replies in this forum, the more I wish I didn't spend the money to support this site, because people's reviews and opinions and other comments was the main reason I enjoyed this website forum so much.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Shooter for the info.
Firefox with add-on on a laptop
I read this thread twice and the http://sourceforge.net/p/updatescanner/wiki/Home/ tutorial.
Couple of questions.
on the preferences, to eliminate false positives, my selector has LOW(all webpage changes cause a notification)to 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000(major changes are ignored)HIGH.
I should be on (major changes ignored)HIGH??  And that would still alert me for an item back in stock??

My other ques is.  Where can I set the filter for in stock or backorder??  When I scan the page I dont see it.  I dont see it in preferences. Does the site have to have the option? If so do you have an example of a page that has it.

For ex.  Bravo Company BCG.  They have a related items area on the bottom of the page that constantly changes and causes notifications.  I'm afraid that if I move the setting all the way to High I'll miss the boat.
Thnx again

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Does this work on chrome for Mac?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does this work on chrome for Mac?

I use this on Chrome for mac:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-monitor/pemhgklkefakciniebenbfclihhmmfcd?hl=en

Fairly customizable.  You can adjust the frequency of checks, as well as highlighting which parts of the page you want to monitor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah I have been messing with mine, and I only get a false when I forget to log out now of sites, that's it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top