BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2015 2:31:04 AM EDT
My soft sided case has split at the seam.  I have been wanting a discreet rifle case, but at $250 I woukd rather invest in a pelican.

Has anyone ever built their own?  I was thinking if I broke my rifle down the upper is ~25 inches long.  I have seen 26 inch tool boxes and thought that would work.  Just wasn't sure how to pad it or keep the upper and lower from rattling against each other.  

Curious if anyone had any other ideas?  Trying to stay in a $50 budget.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Guitar gig bag
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Im not a fan of the guitar/racket cases.  Buddy uses one, it works but his does not fit the gun well.  You can tell its something big and heavy in the bag.  Thats why I was leaning towards the tool box.  Also the tool box would probably have enough room for other goodies.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Baseball/Softball bag.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Current work in progress utilizing a cheap Nike bat bag I got for $9, bastardized a really cheap tactical case that was given to me, added a thin layer of padding and carry strap.  The divider is removable and is attached with some heavy duty velco.  It fits a 30 to 32" oal weapon in one piece with just a smidgen of room lengthwise. It would have fit a 16" barrel rifle if the zipper would have been 2" longer towards the top grab handle.  I think I have about $11 into it as I had to buy some heavy duty thread for some stitching.

eta:  I can still insert a baseball bat into it too!
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever built their own?  I was thinking if I broke my rifle down the upper is ~25 inches long.  I have seen 26 inch tool boxes and thought that would work.  Just wasn't sure how to pad it or keep the upper and lower from rattling against each other.  
View Quote

A few years ago (maybe even 10), someone did this, and posted pictures of his build, here.  Seems like he lived in an apartment, and didn't want to advertise that he owned firearms, to the neighbors. Anyway, he used a basic plastic tool box, and two or three layers of foam to separate the upper from the lower.  That gave him plenty of room for his rifle, and some shooting supplies.  

Sounds like a good project!

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]

I got the violin case at a garage sale for $1.50 and replaced the formed insert with egg crate foam from work.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=18149

I got the violin case at a garage sale for $1.50 and replaced the formed insert with egg crate foam from work.

View Quote

Wonderful till the old hag next door wants to hear you play, lol

For $1.50 that was a steal of a deal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a Worth baseball bat bag at academy for $10.  I had to cut the area between the main compartment and where the bat slides in underneath for the end of the barrel. Have some foam I am going to line it with.  It has 2 zippered pouches for mags.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
So far, no requests...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im not a fan of the guitar/racket cases.  Buddy uses one, it works but his does not fit the gun well.  You can tell its something big and heavy in the bag.  Thats why I was leaning towards the tool box.  Also the tool box would probably have enough room for other goodies.
View Quote

Seriously?  My guitars are heavier and larger than my 16" AR's...the bag is well padded and holds the rifle just fine...but YMMV

ETA:  The gig bag also has additional outside zippered pockets that allow me to carry mags, ear pro, and other items.

ETA2:  No one has ever asked me to solo "Stairway" yet...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The arfcom case is pretty good.  I got it on sale for $30.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Here it is hanging and loaded with AR pistol that is about 30"oal, and currently just 5 loaded mags.  Nobody would be the wiser to be able to tell what's in it.  Have enough room in it for 2 guns if I wanted or bunch of other crap if so desired.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Nice badger.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]

<<SNORT!>>
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously?  My guitars are heavier and larger than my 16" AR's...the bag is well padded and holds the rifle just fine...but YMMV

ETA:  The gig bag also has additional outside zippered pockets that allow me to carry mags, ear pro, and other items.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may just be the bag my buddy has.  His just sags and gets all sort of bent out of shape.  Maybe the common sheeple wouldn't notice but of you give it a 2nd glance you can clearly see its not a guitar in it.

After the holidays I am going to run to town.  See what Lowe's has, browse the thrift shops, and maybe hit up the mall just to get some ideas.  If all else fails I think I will just tey and find a nice duffle bag that will hold it.  Ross may have something.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Im more of a Pampers man myself.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I've designed my own and sell it but that's another story.

Before I did this I just used a dufflebag and wrapped the parts in a tower. However what I found meh was the lack of padding and all the moving around of parts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
stanley fat max 28" tool box

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FATMAX-28-in-Tool-Box-028001L/100624569

I don't use the tool tray.

Then get two sets of Pelican Pluck foam; you end up with two layers available.  Cut outside of foam to fit in the box, cut/pluck foam to fit rifle as necessary.

lLink to photo
Note: It's cut deep enough for two USGI mags, but not all the way through the pluck foam.

Under the rifle is the second set of pluck foam.  In that I just cut out two square areas that I used to store eye/ear pro, a couple tools, and a couple extra mags.  I did put a piece of 1/4" fiber board wood between the layers to keep the top layer from bending.  I use 550 chord through the foam and wood to pull out the upper layer.

The only thing left to do is put in a layer of foam on the lid or maybe strap the rifle down to the foam.  but that's only to prevent the parts from flying around in the case if it were to tip over.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#21]

I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I knew I kept mine for a reason!  I gave away all the Black and Decker cordless crap that wouldn't hold a charge and kept the box I had bought for it.  

My preferred stealth (believable for me) bag is a Manfrotto tripod bag.  It currently has two 16" barrel carbines, slings, two full mags for each, and four more boxes of ammo in the small internal zippered pouch.  I used a piece of closed cell foam I get Apple displays and iMac back shells packed in as a divider, and a towel stuffed in the empty space on each side of each rifle.  The mags are currently just wrapped in thin open cell antistatic foam to keep them from banging into the barrels/flashiders.  I was surprised they fit, but it's working great.  Collapsed, they have about an inch to go before they hit the inside of the bag.  I put a double layer of the thin open cell foam at the muzzle end to keep the flashiders from cutting into the inside of the bag.  

No one would believe I play tennis...  But I regularly have camera bags and other weird looking soft bags in the car so on the rare occasion it's visible no one sees it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I knew I kept mine for a reason!  I gave away all the Black and Decker cordless crap that wouldn't hold a charge and kept the box I had bought for it.  

My preferred stealth (believable for me) bag is a Manfrotto tripod bag.  It currently has two 16" barrel carbines, slings, two full mags for each, and four more boxes of ammo in the small internal zippered pouch.  I used a piece of closed cell foam I get Apple displays and iMac back shells packed in as a divider, and a towel stuffed in the empty space on each side of each rifle.  The mags are currently just wrapped in thin open cell antistatic foam to keep them from banging into the barrels/flashiders.  I was surprised they fit, but it's working great.  Collapsed, they have about an inch to go before they hit the inside of the bag.  I put a double layer of the thin open cell foam at the muzzle end to keep the flashiders from cutting into the inside of the bag.  

No one would believe I play tennis...  But I regularly have camera bags and other weird looking soft bags in the car so on the rare occasion it's visible no one sees it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.  Which reminds me, I need to order replacement parts for broken knobs on my Bogen
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Snowshoe bags
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Snowshoe bags
View Quote

Think I'd get questioned in Florida with those? ??
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/FATMAX-28-in-Tool-Box-028001L/100624569

I don't use the tool tray.

Then get two sets of Pelican Pluck foam; you end up with two layers available.  Cut outside of foam to fit in the box, cut/pluck foam to fit rifle as necessary.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/K2Yc9y3dlpD48fFl1QL7APjuA0XRzCbTi3TH3wSSfL2HV2tm0ntbY32l-S53HuSlPpU9ZYnK_2tHv7I3LtCbHSEDnG_cbi2doPExy92a_Q_o1RaABNe1O3wHCkbzj3aw7GdAdbZjbQVLeoe8QziqHxyOb5Vr0H6pGNbhbUMZ3ZH56r8Zn-PX2iBcZ-XTAVgqB459z_VuK7eD3UpkX-lOjzjpOQd1aDfj311s2VERAETnm8bSJznZDyn0omxJ3cvS59VjzYNuRQv1_hEP7tRKZVoD9h1rXUFrXmYWMxZRkmMR5PISjZxZkhmCA7WMpEAX6dbCvYIevOfGIuKveU_o5BsQjkj--SFVvJQ8mMA2jswR5NK4WbiSP0gzkB2iUjZYzXeulg4HJkd0RxRweccZelSwIR1HaZpETN00gladSh-iQGvdr9JmJIuHVNDB83OYxjeVsWga4auKELNC3REz-nSCiNWapEZjvQEdNz4n4y8XNZEaXi3Gt7S0VqR9DA5uCoVqhRMmUXTEiIIazmSPmaVCEEvnNWyzaZTMP8E3c32o3C_e4DxZyVdg_TJM8mncSX6K=w735-h551-no
lLink to photo
Note: It's cut deep enough for two USGI mags, but not all the way through the pluck foam.

Under the rifle is the second set of pluck foam.  In that I just cut out two square areas that I used to store eye/ear pro, a couple tools, and a couple extra mags.  I did put a piece of 1/4" fiber board wood between the layers to keep the top layer from bending.  I use 550 chord through the foam and wood to pull out the upper layer.

The only thing left to do is put in a layer of foam on the lid or maybe strap the rifle down to the foam.  but that's only to prevent the parts from flying around in the case if it were to tip over.

View Quote

That looks pretty good!  Pelican pluck foam is not terribly priced either.  I bet an old Yoga mat would pad the lid.

Lowes did not have much for tool boxes, I will have to run to home depot and see what they have.  Otherwise I guess Ill order one online.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't use a guitar case, a tool case, or anything like that. Both of those say "I'm a valuable item you can pawn." You want to look like you're carrying junk, not a valuable. Yes, it's cool and has that Mafia vibe to pull your gun out of a violin case, but a violin is something that's valuable.
I never use my pelican case unless I'm going straight to the range and back for this reason. Large, heavy, clearly expensive cases are a dead giveaway that whatever is in them is valuable.

I went to a thrift store and bought a zip up case for a folding chair. IT's a low value item and doesn't look to neighbors like you're carrying a gun, looks like you're going to an event. My mom works in furniture, so I got a bunch of foam and used gorilla glue to glue that into the bag, then glue dividers in. Looks like a bag with a $5 folding lawn chair, carries a broken down AR15 and 5 mags.

Another even cheaper/less pintrest method: Buy a gym bag, wrap gun loosely in a towel, toss some used clothes and running shoes on top.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks.

I was at the goodwill and found an older gray hard side Samsonite suite case.  Cost me a $1.99 and it literally looks like something my grandma would have thrown out.  Hoping to get a good foam system for it that will secure upper and lower and maybe even leave room for magazines or ammo or both.  

If thay doesn't work I'll plan on a gym bag till I can hit some garage sales and see what I can dig up

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:49:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks.

I was at the goodwill and found an older gray hard side Samsonite suite case.  Cost me a $1.99 and it literally looks like something my grandma would have thrown out.  Hoping to get a good foam system for it that will secure upper and lower and maybe even leave room for magazines or ammo or both.  

If thay doesn't work I'll plan on a gym bag till I can hit some garage sales and see what I can dig up

View Quote

OP thinks he looks like this:

but actually like this:
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I think this is a bit more accurate.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#31]
camping matress pad can be found on amazon on the cheap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4CSRHzsRso
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I use an old DeWalt bag for my rifle and such! It was the one that came with all the cordless stuff! I cut the 2 pockets out and put a foam bottom in it. Have extra padding to place between whatever I'm carrying at the time. No one asks anything and I have had it everywhere, my gut would give me away if it was sports related so this works perfect.

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump.... Can you guys who have made them post pics? I have a DeWalt bag I use but could use some inspiration
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I think I may scrap this project.  I can't really find anything that works.  My suit case just isn't the right size.  I thought it was not not really.  And it's latches don't work well under weight.

I tried a 26" rolling duffle bag.  It woukd work but my gun is so dang close to the 26" mark that it's just not big enough.

I've found numEros 26 inch tool boxes but they are actually only 23-24 inches.  I'm a little nervous to order the 28 inch toolbox because reviews for it say it's actually only 23-25 inches big.

So far I am striking out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I just purchased a Seahorse case from seahorsecases.com model number SE 710 for my 7.5 inch ar.... We will see how this works out! I have non gun stickers that should tell people it's not a firearm inside!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I was able to finally find a 28" fat max tool box and it will work!  With the Comp on the barrel it leaves a little room on either end to fit.  I am debating switching back to the A2 bird cage, that would open up another .25".

Now I just need to decide how to maximize storage.  

My upper has a VFG so that makes everything awakward and makes it tougher to fit the upper and lower flat on one level. Possible but tough.  I am trying to think of a way that I could slip theupper and lower verticaly along the front and back of the box then leave the middle open for mags and accessories and maybe even a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#37]
The seahorse 710 just came in....  It works perfect for what I needed I fit a 7 1/2 inch barrel plus lower  in there no problem it comes with pull and pluck foam really good seal and does not look like a standard pelican case. I still keep my DeWalt bag for the longer guns but now my pistol..soon to be SBR when stamp gets in....fits perfect
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I have used these several times
to transport discretely in my car
and on my person.

The larger ones will accept a
rifle, and I had a sewing shop
mod a bag with a velcro rip
open seam down it's length,
added internal tie downs &
reinforced the shoulder strap
to support the weight for a
pistol.

You could carry it about
anywhere without anyone
questioning it, and it's covered
by my CCW permit for my pistol.

My .02.

John

These are nice, also, from
Home Depot for $29. They
have some larger matching
cases & one with wheels.
I want to add some of the larger
ones for chest rigs & other
gear.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a Manfrotto tripod(camera) case. I bought it off Ebay, under $20 shipped. It is padded, has two carry handles, opens on the top(long side) or the end opens up to simply pull the AR out. It also has a zippered pouch inside that can carry 4 30 rd mags with ease. Altough it would still pose a theft risk if left unattended, that it something I don't do. I just like the fact that my neighbors don't see me carrying my "gear" all the time

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#40]
As a photographer, I should have thought
about a tripod bags, myself!

Good call.

I just conjured this up with google.
These look sweet!

Hakuba Tripod Case
John

Quoted:
I use a Manfrotto tripod(camera) case. I bought it off Ebay, under $20 shipped. It is padded, has two carry handles, opens on the top(long side) or the end opens up to simply pull the AR out. It also has a zippered pouch inside that can carry 4 30 rd mags with ease. Altough it would still pose a theft risk if left unattended, that it something I don't do. I just like the fact that my neighbors don't see me carrying my "gear" all the time

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Good first post, too!  

John

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Good call on the tripod case.... I'm going to look into one!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm liking the tripod case idea.

Here's what I came up with. Photo creds go to JW of AR15 podcast

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1517/24032754493_fcb8a609a5_c.jpg
View Quote

What case is that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What case is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What case is that?

http://critical-precision.net/products/discreet-operations-bag

Disclosure: I am the guy behind the company. People have been asking me to organize a second group buy and I believe it will be happening soon. I  may depart from the wax canvas and full leather on the side this run in order to lower costs for the consumer but depends on what people want.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Disclosure: I am the guy behind the company. People have been asking me to organize a second group buy and I believe it will be happening soon. I  may depart from the wax canvas and full leather on the side this run in order to lower costs for the consumer but depends on what people want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What case is that?

That is a NICE bag!  I might splurge on one, but what are you thinking cost would be if you change the materials?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's one I made years ago for an uzi I had.  I was a contractor at the time so it was normal for me to carry it out of the house.

It's a Bosch sawsall case.

The canvas pouch is 3 32rd mags, the case only worked with the 25 rd loaded.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That is a NICE bag!  I might splurge on one, but what are you thinking cost would be if you change the materials?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What case is that?

Estimating to be mid to high $200's. Still working out the details.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Go to the Hardware store and buy a box of xtra large 3 mil trash bags.  Each bag will last several trips.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I use this.

Have for years.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top