Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2014 4:08:35 AM EDT
So after building my first "budget" ar 15, buying my range equipment, ammo, and testing my rifle I came to the conclusion that I need three  things, either a 3lb trigger, a quad type rail or a red dot scope. Looking through backpage I found this certified FFL guy selling a Troy 13inch Alpha Rail WITH front sight for $150 bucks brand NEW!! I tried to look for the same rail online and  it goes from $250 to $290 bucks without tax. Now all I need to do is to trim my gas block sight I guess. He will ship it to me tomorrow, although I wonder if I should've invested my money on a Vortex Spark instead, hmmm... Do I really need a vice to install the rail? What about locktite? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
you don't need a vice, its a very easy install, I have a habit of mounting the rail on a flat surface with the gun upside down as I tighten the screws, it keeps the rail flush with the receiver, after you could put some blue Loctite on the 4 screws
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So after building my first "budget" ar 15, buying my range equipment, ammo, and testing my rifle I came to the conclusion that I need three  things, either a 3lb trigger, a quad type rail or a red dot scope. Looking through backpage I found this certified FFL guy selling a Troy 13inch Alpha Rail WITH front sight for $150 bucks brand NEW!! I tried to look for the same rail online and  it goes from $250 to $290 bucks without tax. Now all I need to do is to trim my gas block sight I guess. He will ship it to me tomorrow, although I wonder if I should've invested my money on a Vortex Spark instead, hmmm... Do I really need a vice to install the rail? What about locktite? Thanks.
View Quote

No and no. Install is simple. No need for loctite unless you find your screws backing out. Mine never did. Cut down your front sight, cut the delta and snap rings off, slide the rail on and use the screws to lock it in place. It likely won't increase accuracy a noticeable amount unless you're getting the barrel hot or putting a lot of pressure on the barrel with a sling/loaded bipod/pushing down on a rest
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Synyster06gates and @mayorbilk  thank you so much, I have access to a vice, air line and cuttoff wheel at my aviation school which I will need to trim my gas block. At least I dont have to take the entire weapon to school . Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind you'll need a grinder as well. You'll need to shave it down and shape it with the grinder. Knock the taper pins out and you can take just the front sight to school
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont have classes until the 25th of August, so I bought a gas block from amazon, this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQPKOAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I hope it works. I kinda want to keep my old sights in case I want to sell the upper or something later on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO - NO not a good choice ...to each his own
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think the Troy hand guards are any good. I owned one (prior to the Ruby Ridge news) and I found it severely lacking in the tube-to-barrel nut department. My gunsmith was running one on a 9mm build and it came apart on him. This is a very competent GS too. And yes, it was torqued down correctly using lock-tite.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy is dead to me.

Steve Troy supports and employs murderous thugs.

Edit to add, there's a reason they're giving those rails away...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Take away the Troy hate for ruby ridge and you can't beat there stuff. There sights are industry wide the best. There rails have been what everyone else tried to copy for a long time. Granted some have passed them up like the BCM rail. Still I wouldn't hesitate to use there stuff. I thinks it almost laughable that the Moral police choose to ban them when in all reality if we knew all the dirty shit out there we would have to stop buying gun products from every gun company in the game for one reason or another.

I DO NOT agree with them hiring this dude and most likely won't buy any products from them in the future but more so because the BCM rails are better and I don't use back up sights anymore so magpuls  will suffice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take away the Troy hate for ruby ridge and you can't beat there stuff. There sights are industry wide the best. There rails have been what everyone else tried to copy for a long time. Granted some have passed them up like the BCM rail. Still I wouldn't hesitate to use there stuff. I thinks it almost laughable that the Moral police choose to ban them when in all reality if we knew all the dirty shit out there we would have to stop buying gun products from every gun company in the game for one reason or another.

I DO NOT agree with them hiring this dude and most likely won't buy any products from them in the future but more so because the BCM rails are better and I don't use back up sights anymore so magpuls  will suffice.
View Quote
Really? I didn't know that was a proven substantiated fact. Care to share the in-depth scientific analysis that yielded these concrete results?

I have owned a ton of Troy Battlesights and to me they are overweight, over-sized bricks. You can't even fold the rear one down when in the small aperture setting. They they went and changed the mounting dimensions in order to accommodate "NATO spec'd rails" which caused a moderate uproar on this forum. They do shoot well but when compared side-by-side with other more modern offerings they fall behind. Why do you think Troy is working on a re-design? Just because they were the shit in 2005 (or whenever) doesn't mean that technology doesn't move forward.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top