User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smurgeon:
So an optic which utilizes a mil grid pattern which had labeled sub-tensions is to be negated?  I am to believe that I must zero using a mark 1 mill higher so that in the fly I would have to remember to add another mil mentally to my holdovers?  

You may have made sense if you said like in the tremor reticle the dot above is to be zero'd at 25-50 so that the center dot could be used as a hundred yard zero or better yet you could have said the center dot is the zero point (as it is in most scopes) and the dots above are used for under-holds for anything that may be in closer than the 50 or 100 yard zero people have.  

Instead you just claimed something that isnt even in the nightforce literature.
View Quote

I'm not even going to waste my time entertaining this. Just as anything else you are free to zero how you see fit. Glad you have it figured out. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:59:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#2]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Probably a good idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Would it be beneficial to create a thread simply to understanding reticles? Only posts allowed are factual, technical based posts on how employ the reticle as designed? There's a lot more reticles out there than the simplistic jdm-1

Probably a good idea.

You have more overall experience with this-would you be willing to help? @45-Seventy
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]

It's all about using the parabolic arc in an advantageous way for macro style hits. Think hits on target not hits in a specific spot on target. You are putting enough arc in the bullet that distance less affected by wind and other outside variables stay in the donut of death. This allows you to dial back to 4ish and take advantage of the better eyebox and optical properties while keeping the threat more centered in the optic for better situational awareness. Think of it as effectively having two reticles married into it. The speed ring and the grid for when the caliber reaches distances that atmospherics have a greater affect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gatorvet:

Can you expand on the reasoning behind this for us slow folks?
Thanks

It's all about using the parabolic arc in an advantageous way for macro style hits. Think hits on target not hits in a specific spot on target. You are putting enough arc in the bullet that distance less affected by wind and other outside variables stay in the donut of death. This allows you to dial back to 4ish and take advantage of the better eyebox and optical properties while keeping the threat more centered in the optic for better situational awareness. Think of it as effectively having two reticles married into it. The speed ring and the grid for when the caliber reaches distances that atmospherics have a greater affect.

Thanks!
I think I understand…sounds similar to the donut of death reticle in an ACOG…???
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gatorvet:

Thanks!
I think I understand…sounds similar to the donut of death reticle in an ACOG…???
View Quote

Yes similar concept.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:28:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#5]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

There is a good reason that every technical thread you start gets locked, and everyone you post in results in you simply repeating yourself with virtually everyone else wondering if you're old enough to attend highschool, let alone actually shoot firearms.  You propose a ridiculous argument, it gets shot to shit, and then you double and triple down making it blatantly obvious to anyone reading that you haven't the slightest clue as to what you are talking about.  

Everything you have stated as a downside to an LPVO is a common sense issue that can be solved with....common sense, and maybe a little bit of training if you're lacking in the common sense area.  

Use your gear, and keep the power range in an area that you can address unexpected close up threats.  It doesn't have to be at 1x to accomplish this, but it surely shouldn't be at 8x.  So, use 8x sparingly, and when you have time, cover, concealment, or friends next to you covering that for you.  I rarely dial mine past 3-4x, and guess what, it still is useful on close targets in that magnification range too.

It may not be that way for *you*, but thats a you problem,  not an equipment problem.  Nobody here has any concern what is on your rifle.  You can like whatever you want.  Its the false bullshit that you constantly spread as gospel in the tech forums that I genuinely hope isn't read by a casual browser trying to make an *educated* decision.

There is at least one person who has posted in this thread who I'd wager has used an LPVO in anger.  There are a few more that have definitely come close.  They all disagree with you.

I'd suggest you take that as a clue, even though we all know you won't.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:

The problem is when people confuse a game for real life.

In a game, you know the targets in advance.  In a game, they are stationary.  In a game you can shoot the targets in any order you want.  

In a game an LPVO is good.  

In real life you might have go to 1x instantly from magnification.  In real life, you don’t know where your next threat will be.  In real life things aren’t static.  

You need magnification and instant 1x.  An LPVO alone won’t give you that.

There is a good reason that every technical thread you start gets locked, and everyone you post in results in you simply repeating yourself with virtually everyone else wondering if you're old enough to attend highschool, let alone actually shoot firearms.  You propose a ridiculous argument, it gets shot to shit, and then you double and triple down making it blatantly obvious to anyone reading that you haven't the slightest clue as to what you are talking about.  

Everything you have stated as a downside to an LPVO is a common sense issue that can be solved with....common sense, and maybe a little bit of training if you're lacking in the common sense area.  

Use your gear, and keep the power range in an area that you can address unexpected close up threats.  It doesn't have to be at 1x to accomplish this, but it surely shouldn't be at 8x.  So, use 8x sparingly, and when you have time, cover, concealment, or friends next to you covering that for you.  I rarely dial mine past 3-4x, and guess what, it still is useful on close targets in that magnification range too.

It may not be that way for *you*, but thats a you problem,  not an equipment problem.  Nobody here has any concern what is on your rifle.  You can like whatever you want.  Its the false bullshit that you constantly spread as gospel in the tech forums that I genuinely hope isn't read by a casual browser trying to make an *educated* decision.

There is at least one person who has posted in this thread who I'd wager has used an LPVO in anger.  There are a few more that have definitely come close.  They all disagree with you.

I'd suggest you take that as a clue, even though we all know you won't.

Every single thing I said was true.  There are even very few gamers that don't run an offset red dot because an LPVO is inadequate.  Marines put RMRs on their ACOGs.  Don't bore me with the "no one likes you" argument.  Your emotional over the top response is the problem.  

This is an "I don't like LPVOs thread".  My response in a nutshell is - Yes. They suck.

The horror.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Every single thing I said was true.  There are even very few gamers that don't run an offset red dot because an LPVO is inadequate.  Marines put RMRs on their ACOGs.  Don't bore me with the "no one likes you" argument.  

This is an "I don't like LPVOs thread".  What were you expecting?  
View Quote

Actually, its about people seemingly having difficulty with them, per the thread title.

People that potentially have useful tips and hints after spending some time with them happen to be contributing to the thread.

Sorry for beating your edit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I mentioned this earlier but understanding the reticle is a huge obstacle for the uninitiated when it comes to lpvo's. A lot of people like the razor because the reticle is the easiest to digest. Frankly, once you get away from that style a lot of reticles are garbage for gas gun use and adds to the frustration of the optical limitations for lpvo's.

I had a conversation earlier with somebody on this topic. How many people realize the fc-dmx is supposed to be zeroed like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/NF_FC-DMx__1__png-3143716.JPG
View Quote

I am going to have to look further into this, I had no idea and zeroed my ATACR using the traditional center dot with 262...do you have anything else showing how the reticle is used after zeroing like that when shooting at distance?  I've been using H58/9 on my distance setups, so I figured zeroing it like one of those would allow me to basically use the ATACR the same way....via .mil holds.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:59:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#8]
Precision shooting, counter sniper, hunting, competition, etc. lpvo probably have an advantage. I still think a ta11 is better all around because it’s still a lot lighter than most lpv scopes, doesn’t feel like a brick on top of the rifle, and the glass quality, eye relief and fov is unmatched and blows away most lpvos other than top tier brands, and even though it’s 3.5 power it seems like you can see much more than the crappy lpv scopes. Just slap an rmr on it for up close. And ultimately the acog and is designed to quickly and effectively shoot man sized targets at various ranges, not be the ultimate precision optic, for that I would go nx8.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:

Maybe I haven’t used the correct LPVOs, because everyone I’ve used has been so much worse than a reddot up close.
View Quote

@TobyLazur I think it depends on training and practice. I shoot a TR24g and it's a green triangle reticle. Basically it's dialed in so the very tip of the thing is dialed in at 50-200. So at 1x (and it's a true 1x with edge to edge visibility and a good diopter to adjust for the shooter) and the instant any part of the triangle is on target you break the shot. It's as fast to me as a dedicated dot, I've tried it on the clock.

Where it shines is distance. Spin it up quick and then you can see exactly what you need to.

LPVO should be set at 1x and only dialed up as needed. like a "oh shit what's that moving way over there?"
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#10]

I am going to have to look further into this, I had no idea and zeroed my ATACR using the traditional center dot with 262...do you have anything else showing how the reticle is used after zeroing like that when shooting at distance?  I've been using H58/9 on my distance setups, so I figured zeroing it like one of those would allow me to basically use the ATACR the same way....via .mil holds.

View Quote

There is nothing to say you cannot use the traditional zero on it. Doing so is fine if you need the smaller sized subtentions closer in for things such as small plates and whatnot. Remember gas guns excel at speed and the fc-dmx tries to make use of that. If you need a high level of precision then perhaps an 8x erector with a 24mm obj lens and fixed parallax is the wrong tool here.

Mk262 with a mv of 2650
1.7 mount

From 75-175 I am within .2mils. As you can see on an 8x10 I don't need to adjust my poa if I don't want to.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here you can see a 20mph 90⁰ constant wind is still using holds in the circle out to 350. This is on an 8x10. At 400 I begin to need the stadia lines which is right where 556 starts to get "iffy"-as in atmospherics playing a larger role. Past 400 dialing to a higher Magnification becomes more plausible. Note again this is with a 90⁰ 20mph wind. For those that don't know, that is quite a bit of wind call. NOT ADJUSTED FOR SPIN DRIFT
Attachment Attached File

Typically larger calibers can resist the affects of wind and whatnot better so you can get mpb shooting inside the donut. Hence the 2 mil vs the 1 mil

Edit***subtensions without changing atmospherics if interested. The red dot signifies the 100y zero. Strelok doesn't allow me to select the exact zero point so I need to manually put a 1 mil come up in.
Attachment Attached File

Edit 2***350 with a 10mph 90⁰ wind on an ipsc. You can see where dialing back to 4ish and using an illuminated donut would be helpful here for quick hits
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]

You have more overall experience with this-would you be willing to help? @45-Seventy
View Quote

I’m down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
@45-seventy I'm going to be home next week for awhile-I'll start it up then. Thanks for the assistance
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
@45-seventy I'm going to be home next week for awhile-I'll start it up then. Thanks for the assistance
View Quote

This week is a little crazy but next week is better for me, too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
It’s important to keep in mind not all LPVO’s are created equal.

LPVO’s use a reduction lens. They’re not actually a magnified 1X, they’re a demagnified and magnified 2-3X typically. This causes wild shifts in both exit pupil and glass quality between models.

So if you see a 1-6 has a 8mm exit pupil at 1X, that means it’s native magnification is 3X. (Objective lens / exit pupil at low mag = native magnification.) Exit pupil will be the same up to that 3X as reduction lenses can’t defeat physics. This is going to perform poorly due to reduced eye box and be a bit harder to maintain image quality.

If you see something like a 14mm exit pupil like on the Razor, it’s going to have both a better eye box and a better picture due to being less than 2X native magnification. That 14mm of exit pupil error is going to be very close to the 20mm of a T2. (Vortex has listed it as 24mm before and admitted it was error.)

The Leupold 1.25/5 LPVO’s are insanely forgiving in exit pupil as they don’t use a reduction lens. This is also why they are stuck at 1.25/5 and typically don’t exceed 4X. My fire dot model was the closest to loving a LPVO as I’ve ever been, but still couldn’t come to terms with it.

End of the day use whatever you shoot best with, but with so many different models of LPVO and ACOG’s, you can’t pick up just one example and write the entire concept off with authority. And that’s before you even factor in use preference too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]

There is nothing to say you cannot use the traditional zero on it. Doing so is fine if you need the smaller sized subtentions closer in for things such as small plates and whatnot. Remember gas guns excel at speed and the fc-dmx tries to make use of that. If you need a high level of precision then perhaps an 8x erector with a 24mm obj lens and fixed parallax is the wrong tool here.

Mk262 with a mv of 2650
1.7 mount

From 75-175 I am within .2mils. As you can see on an 8x10 I don't need to adjust my poa if I don't want to.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20231213-201600_Strelok_Pro_j-3143906.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20231213-201609_Strelok_Pro_j-3143908.JPG

Here you can see a 20mph 90⁰ constant wind is still using holds in the circle out to 350. This is on an 8x10. At 400 I begin to need the stadia lines which is right where 556 starts to get "iffy"-as in atmospherics playing a larger role. Past 400 dialing to a higher Magnification becomes more plausible. Note again this is with a 90⁰ 20mph wind. For those that don't know, that is quite a bit of wind call. NOT ADJUSTED FOR SPIN DRIFT
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20240228-190721_Strelok_Pro_j-3143912.JPG

Typically larger calibers can resist the affects of wind and whatnot better so you can get mpb shooting inside the donut. Hence the 2 mil vs the 1 mil

Edit***subtensions without changing atmospherics if interested. The red dot signifies the 100y zero. Strelok doesn't allow me to select the exact zero point so I need to manually put a 1 mil come up in.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20240228-191240_Strelok_Pro_j-3143914.JPG

Edit 2***350 with a 10mph 90⁰ wind on an ipsc. You can see where dialing back to 4ish and using an illuminated donut would be helpful here for quick hits
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20240228-192842_Strelok_Pro_j-3143923.JPG
View Quote

For the sake of consistency, I'm not sure I will change how I do my zero, but that is very good to know, and very handy.  Good news is, its very easy to adjust 1 mil to try it out....if I don't like it, return it right back to where it was.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#16]

For the sake of consistency, I'm not sure I will change how I do my zero, but that is very good to know, and very handy.  Good news is, its very easy to adjust 1 mil to try it out....if I don't like it, return it right back to where it was.
View Quote

Truth. As I said you can zero however you need/want. Using the described zero really let's you use the reticle as two separate reticles for two separate mag ranges-circle for 3-5 tree for 6-8. The 1 mil hold is even more useful with clips-ons. Being able to keep hogs/yotes in the center is very helpful. As with anything else intended use drives setup. I'm going to be creating an actual reticle thread but until then feel free to ask questions about this if you are curious about anything.

As a side note I've found less offset at 1x as well like this which is also handy
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DetroitSounds] [#17]

There is no "Superior" optic per se'. Personal preference and specific intended use.

Prefer the ACOG 3.5x35 LED. Longer eye relief without losing much mag. Prefer LED for consistent brightness and longevity vs tritium wearing out, albeit decades.

VCOG gets a bad rap. Similar durability as ACOG. The weight difference compared to other LPVO's is negligible. I sold my ATACR 1-8 to buy a VCOG 1-6 (RMR HD piggyback), zero regrets.

Prefer EXPS with G45 mag option, for CQB.

For someone that doesn't go beyond 100 yards often enough, due to location and terrain, I much prefer the simple BDC's that ACOG/ VCOG 1-6 provide instead of dealing with MIL, or even MOA. If I'm shooting 100-600 more often, I'm going with more of a 4-16.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#18]

Truth. As I said you can zero however you need/want. Using the described zero really let's you use the reticle as two separate reticles for two separate mag ranges-circle for 3-5 tree for 6-8. The 1 mil hold is even more useful with clips-ons. Being able to keep hogs/yotes in the center is very helpful. As with anything else intended use drives setup. I'm going to be creating an actual reticle thread but until then feel free to ask questions about this if you are curious about anything.

As a side note I've found less offset at 1x as well like this which is also handy
View Quote

A reticle deep dive thread sounds like an excellent idea.

I wear my Strelok pro out experimenting with zeros and holds.

I look forward to learning.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jkees:

You mentioned you have the Gen 2 Razor 1-6 which is a second focal plane correct?
Have you tried one thats a first focal plane like the gen 3 1-10?
I must preface this by saying I do not run matches, but as far as retical selection goes, it sounds like what it offers is what you are looking for. At low power for quick aquisition its a uncluttered red dot with bracket, but at high power it opens up a fine mil dot patterned reticle for wind and drop. Here's an example of the difference in the reticle between 1x and 10x (I understand this may be more optic than what you are looking for)

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/81510729_10157849633210758_1686688009950330880_o.jpg
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/img_2160-jpg.7275411/

View Quote

My Gen 2 HD Razors are SFP.  I also have a NF NX8 F1 that is FFP.  It took some getting use to having the reticle "zoom with the magnification" but I'm there now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]

False. I've had my ass handed to me in a shoot house by some dude rocking a ta31. This whole idea that gear replaces skillset is an abomination and needs to stop.
View Quote

Agreed.  I took "top shooter" in a professional AR15 class filled with KACs, LMTs, BCMs equipped with EOTechs / Aimpoints / Elcans, etc.  I was the odd man out and had special permission to use an Arsenal SLR106 with iron sights only.  

Conversely, I had an old dude smoke me on a run-and-gun with an open sighted Colt SP1 while I was rocking the (at the time) new hotness: FN SCAR-16 with a AP CompM4.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#21]
Last night I ended up shooting from 0 to 385.  All shooting was off-hand. I was wearing a PC and pistol belt.

0-100 Yards

RDS was the fastest
LPVO was second
ACOG RMR was third but 100 yards is massively stretching this optics capability. In the past it has worked GREAT at 50 and in.
ACOG was last for speed

100-150 Yards

LPVO on 2.5x worked great
ACOG worked great but was slower
RDS worked but dot bloom was starting to obscure the 12" target ... had to dial the brightness down

200 Yard

Gongs were down / no fire

385 Yard

LPVO on 6x was easiest, but end-shake after sprinting out to a pre-determined shooting position was more noticeable than the ACOG.
ACOG worked really well.  Less breathing translated through the lens.
RDS ... I was actually about 8 for 10 with it.  It took 2 rounds to figure the hold, and then it was surprisingly easy.

I fired 240 rounds through a bunch of evolution sprints including mixed mag loads (1, 2 or 3 round so I didn't know when a reload was required ... all optics were fired after the sprint and after a reload with each distance).

Conclusions

1) I'm a creature of habit.  I enjoyed using the SOCOM with Aimpoint the most. Why?  Probably because I've been shooting some version of this set up for about 30 years.  Its also the only gun in the test with a 14.5 which makes handling easier.

2) LPVO definitely have benefits.  The gongs at my range are rusted steel / dark brown against winter dead grass and muddy berms/backstops.  That is to say, they aren't easy to see especially on an overcast / windy day like last night.  The extra magnification made PID easier as distances increased.

3) The ACOG / RMR set up seems like a good "I don't know what I need so I need a generalist gun" selection. Its not great at anything but is good at everything.

4) The RDS is unquestionably faster / easier at 100 and in.

5) Don't be a mechanic with one tool in your toolbox.  Be a mechanic with a full set of tools so you don't round off a bolt trying to remove it with vice grips.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a good video regarding 'speed'

The tl;dr version is (unsurprisingly) lpvo's are harder to be fast than rds. However with enough practice split times end the same and it can absolutely be as fast as a rds.

9 holes
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Last night I ended up shooting from 0 to 385.  All shooting was off-hand. I was wearing a PC and pistol belt.

0-100 Yards

RDS was the fastest
LPVO was second
ACOG RMR was third but 100 yards is massively stretching this optics capability. In the past it has worked GREAT at 50 and in.
ACOG was last for speed

100-150 Yards

RDS worked but dot bloom was starting to obscure the 12" target ... had to dial the brightness down

200 Yard

385 Yard

LPVO on 6x was easiest, but end-shake after sprinting out to a pre-determined shooting position was more noticeable than the ACOG.
RDS ... I was actually about 8 for 10 with it.  It took 2 rounds to figure the hold, and then it was surprisingly easy.

I fired 240 rounds through a bunch of evolution sprints including mixed mag loads (1, 2 or 3 round so I didn't know when a reload was required ... all optics were fired after the sprint and after a reload with each distance).

Conclusions

1) I'm a creature of habit.  I enjoyed using the SOCOM with Aimpoint the most. Why?  Probably because I've been shooting some version of this set up for about 30 years.  Its also the only gun in the test with a 14.5 which makes handling easier.

2) LPVO definitely have benefits.  The gongs at my range are rusted steel / dark brown against winter dead grass and muddy berms/backstops.  That is to say, they aren't easy to see especially on an overcast / windy day like last night.  The extra magnification made PID easier as distances increased.

3) The ACOG / RMR set up seems like a good "I don't know what I need so I need a generalist gun" selection. Its not great at anything but is good at everything.

5) Don't be a mechanic with one tool in your toolbox.  Be a mechanic with a full set of tools so you don't round off a bolt trying to remove it with vice grips.

View Quote

Very cool testing and feedback!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I use ta31, ta33, and ta47.  I wear glasses but primarily for my non dominant eye. With or without glasses I have no issues. I don’t like LVPO’s. I either run an acog or an Aimpoint with qd magnifier.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#25]

0-100 Yards

RDS was the fastest
LPVO was second
ACOG was last for speed

100-150 Yards

200 Yard

385 Yard

Conclusions

View Quote

Good stuff, especially the part about the breathing. It’s easy to do static shooting and draw a conclusion that’s entirely different once you add movement and fatigue. Big driver for me becoming a weight snob over the years. The closer i get to 40 the heavier shit gets after a bit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#26]

0-100 Yards

RDS was the fastest
LPVO was second
ACOG was last for speed

100-150 Yards

200 Yard

385 Yard

Conclusions

View Quote

This basically mirrors my experience--except I couldn't hit shit off-hand at 385 yards--mad props.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Agreed.  I took "top shooter" in a professional AR15 class filled with KACs, LMTs, BCMs equipped with EOTechs / Aimpoints / Elcans, etc.  I was the odd man out and had special permission to use an Arsenal SLR106 with iron sights only.  

Conversely, I had an old dude smoke me on a run-and-gun with an open sighted Colt SP1 while I was rocking the (at the time) new hotness: FN SCAR-16 with a AP CompM4.
View Quote

Why would you need “special permission” to run an AK?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Why would you need “special permission” to run an AK?
View Quote

It was an AR centric class with AR specific instruction. I knew one of the instructors so he gave me permission to attend with the AK.  The instruction was easy to interpolate to the AK.  The AK gave me an advantage at one training evolution but I was fairly disadvantaged at others.  Ultimately it all came down to the amount of training BEFORE the class.  I had dedicated about a year to the SLR, and was intimate with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#29]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Good stuff, especially the part about the breathing. It’s easy to do static shooting and draw a conclusion that’s entirely different once you add movement and fatigue. Big driver for me becoming a weight snob over the years. The closer i get to 40 the heavier shit gets after a bit.
View Quote

Just wait until you’re in your 50s!

For the past five years, I GORUCK a minimum of 3 times a week with a minimum of 56 pounds x 4 to 25 miles (rain, sleet, hail, 100F+, 0F, doesn’t matter.  You can’t control the weather or when you’ll need to perform in it). This helps mitigate the impact of a fully loaded LBT 6094 wirh 8.7 pound front and rear plates, trauma kit, 6x 30rd, 3L water bladder, NODs pouch, E&E kit. etc.  I also wear a belt with Glock, 2x 19rd, 2x AR 30rd, another IFAK.

I’ve trimmed the fat from my gear as I’ve aged.  It’s down to the basics now.

Anywhere I can shave ounces … I’ll spend money to do it.

ETA:
I weighed in fully clothed + ruck and fully clothed wirhout ruck this morning.  These are DRY weights as I was at the end of my ruck and had consumed all my liquid:

I’ve been taking my 87 pound dog on rucks lately so that adds an entirely new dynamic element.  20oz tumbler in one hand … dog lead in other..

14 min 30 second miles is my target (regardless of distance).

100% helps on the range .
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:57:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#30]

Just wait until you’re in your 50s!

For the past five years, I GORUCK a minimum of 3 times a week with a minimum of 56 pounds x 4 to 25 miles (rain, sleet, hail, 100F+, 0F, doesn’t matter.  You can’t control the weather or when you’ll need to perform in it). This helps mitigate the impact of a fully loaded LBT 6094 wirh 8.7 pound front and rear plates, trauma kit, 6x 30rd, 3L water bladder, NODs pouch, E&E kit. etc.  I also wear a belt with Glock, 2x 19rd, 2x AR 30rd, another IFAK.

I’ve trimmed the fat from my gear as I’ve aged.  It’s down to the basics now.

Anywhere I can shave ounces … I’ll spend money to do it.

ETA:
I weighed in fully clothed + ruck and fully clothed wirhout ruck this morning.  These are DRY weights as I was at the end of my ruck and has consumed all my liquid:
View Quote

Same and I’d guarantee you’re in better shape than me considering your routine haha. I never realized how much weight matters until i found an unlimited outdoor range. You time your shots start and finish and extra weight in your rifle and your trigger pull tell a sad story.

Add in run and gun and everything starts feeling like extra gravity. I still run VFG’s so I can go old school broom stick when clamping gets hard to maintain even.

Keep killing it and thanks for the reminder I need to get out and do outdoors stuff instead of just scrambling around with a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Same and I’d guarantee you’re in better shape than me considering your routine haha. I never realized how much weight matters until i found an unlimited outdoor range. You time your shots start and finish and extra weight in your rifle and your trigger pull tell a sad story.
View Quote

I’m a member of 2 ranges.  One is close to my office so I drop by there at lunch for simple static work. The other is about 30 minutes further out but is one of the nicest I’ve been to.  It has a lot of bays, shoot house, etc.  Full autos, heck a dude brings a flamethrower out every year post Halloween to toast pumpkins after the annual machine gun pumpkin shoot.  I’ve been shooting at this range since 1983.  Great place to train.  You don’t get a second look if you’re running down range (alone on the bay … for the internet safety nazi’s) in full kit.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Add in run and gun and everything starts feeling like extra gravity. I still run VFG’s so I can go old school broom stick when clamping gets hard to maintain even.

Keep killing it and thanks for the reminder I need to get out and do outdoors stuff instead of just scrambling around with a rifle.
View Quote

I’m trying to get away from VFGs, but a KAC broomstick just feels right.  As you say, when your blood stream starts to get oxygen deprived and your circulation slumps … hands swell and dexterity drops off.  In December I completed a marathon with my ruck on, and had the worst sausage fingers ever.  I eat really clean but had too much salt leading up to that event.

It was worse than the last Ultra (50 mile) I competed with GORUCK.

Static line shooters don’t realize the physicality of shooting in cardio dynamics.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

You’re certainly welcome.  Put miles on YOU and your gear.  Worst that can happen is you’ll live a little longer, haha.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:

There is no "Superior" optic per se'. Personal preference and specific intended use.

Prefer the ACOG 3.5x35 LED. Longer eye relief without losing much mag. Prefer LED for consistent brightness and longevity vs tritium wearing out, albeit decades.

VCOG gets a bad rap. Similar durability as ACOG. The weight difference compared to other LPVO's is negligible. I sold my ATACR 1-8 to buy a VCOG 1-6 (RMR HD piggyback), zero regrets.

Prefer EXPS with G45 mag option, for CQB.

For someone that doesn't go beyond 100 yards often enough, due to location and terrain, I much prefer the simple BDC's that ACOG/ VCOG 1-6 provide instead of dealing with MIL, or even MOA. If I'm shooting 100-600 more often, I'm going with more of a 4-16.
View Quote

VCOG doesn't get a bad rap, and the durability is not the same. At least not on the 1-6 models. Optically poor, with massive diopter shift from 1-6x, and they have durability issues. Or at least did.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#35]

0-100 Yards

RDS was the fastest
LPVO was second
ACOG was last for speed

100-150 Yards

200 Yard

385 Yard

Conclusions

View Quote

This data driven approach makes me smile.  Great job.

Does this course of fire match your intended use?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#36]

I’m a member of 2 ranges.  One is close to my office so I drop by there at lunch for simple static work. The other is about 30 minutes further out but is one of the nicest I’ve been to.  It has a lot of bays, shoot house, etc.  Full autos, heck a dude brings a flamethrower out every year post Halloween to toast pumpkins after the annual machine gun pumpkin shoot.  I’ve been shooting at this range since 1983.  Great place to train.  You don’t get a second look if you’re running down range (alone on the bay … for the internet safety nazi’s) in full kit.
View Quote

Unfortunately the place I go only has a firing line. If no one else is there they’ll let you do some dynamic stuff past the line if you know your shit, but it’s been well over a year since I was the only person present.

Luckily they have steel at random distances and don’t care about shooting out of your lane so long as you don’t shoot other people’s paper or the 25’s. Transitions make it worth going but I need to figure out something new.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:19:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#37]

Every single thing I said was true.  There are even very few gamers that don't run an offset red dot because an LPVO is inadequate.  Marines put RMRs on their ACOGs.  Don't bore me with the "no one likes you" argument.  Your emotional over the top response is the problem.  

This is an "I don't like LPVOs thread".  My response in a nutshell is - Yes. They suck.

The horror.
View Quote

It's not that lpvo is inadequate, its that you can slightly shift and have a 1x optic, so on stages with 200m+ targets followed and or proceeded by 10m targets, a dual magnification system will shave time.

Coyotes are a big problem where I live. Ive had shots from 10 to 110m. I leave my nx8 on 3-4x and use my dot up top for close, and magnification for further out. At night typically under white light with my own dog going crazy and unknown target presentation distance, duration, and direction, this is extremely effective.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#38]

I’m trying to get away from VFGs, but a KAC broomstick just feels right.  As you say, when your blood stream starts to get oxygen deprived and your circulation slumps … hands swell and dexterity drops off.  In December I completed a marathon with my ruck on, and had the worst sausage fingers ever.  I eat really clean but had too much salt leading up to that event.

It was worse than the last Ultra (50 mile) I competed with GORUCK.

Static line shooters don’t realize the physicality of shooting in cardio dynamics.
View Quote

Years ago, arfcom had the laypersons "grapefruit challenge".
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

It's not that lpvo is inadequate, its that you can slightly shift and have a 1x optic, so on stages with 200m+ targets followed and or proceeded by 10m targets, a dual magnification system will shave time.

Coyotes are a big problem where I live. Ive had shots from 10 to 110m. I leave my nx8 on 3-4x and use my dot up top for close, and magnification for further out. At night typically under white light with my own dog going crazy and unknown target presentation distance, duration, and direction, this is extremely effective.
View Quote

If I’m only shooting to 200 yards, I’ll just leave it at 1X.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

This data driven approach makes me smile.  Great job.

Does this course of fire match your intended use?
View Quote

Thanks!

It does somewhat match my intended use.  More time on-foot-moving would be a closer approximation of some of my envisioned needs, but overall it does address my needs fairly comprehensively.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Unfortunately the place I go only has a firing line. If no one else is there they’ll let you do some dynamic stuff past the line if you know your shit, but it’s been well over a year since I was the only person present.

Luckily they have steel at random distances and don’t care about shooting out of your lane so long as you don’t shoot other people’s paper or the 25’s. Transitions make it worth going but I need to figure out something new.
View Quote

Having a good place to train is rare, and a true blessing.  I've been to ranges with ROs, etc.  If it is all you have, it is better than nothing, but static line shooting can only take us so far.

You might try connecting with a nearby farmer that will let you use some ground that he isn't using for dynamic training or see if there is a professional training center within driving distance.  You probably won't be able to use a paid service as often as you want, but at least you could get some time in.  Also, look for run-and-gun meet ups.  Ask those guys where they train.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Years ago, arfcom had the laypersons "grapefruit challenge".
View Quote

I couldn't find it with the search function (which I never seem to use effectively).  I ASSuME this was a cardio challenge wherein the person was suppose to hold a grapefruit throughout?  The severity of my sausage fingers has been sufficient enough to make using the keys to gain access to my house nearly impossible, haha.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#43]

I couldn't find it with the search function (which I never seem to use effectively).  I ASSuME this was a cardio challenge wherein the person was suppose to hold a grapefruit throughout?  The severity of my sausage fingers has been sufficient enough to make using the keys to gain access to my house nearly impossible, haha.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/_That_s_a_nice_group_from_the_bench__Now_let_s_see_you_hit_a_grapefruit_at_50_yards_offhand__/118-348400/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Grapefruit-challenge-2-0/118-741841/
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#44]
As much as I like my K16i, I appreciate the simplicity of the ACOG. No counting hash marks for hold overs, just hold and send it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#46]

I’d bet 95% of rifle shooters are sitting supported at a bench shooting a target straight in front of them. That’s not a knock against those people at all, but just goes to show why there are such a wide variance of opinions. We all enjoy different types of shooting and it’s inevitable that creates a different preference in optics.

My battle rifle has a LPVO, my primary general use gun has a prism and dot, and my HD rifle has a dot. I can’t imagine using the same optic across all of them.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jhon:
As much as I like my K16i, I appreciate the simplicity of the ACOG. No counting hash marks for hold overs, just hold and send it.
View Quote

There are people who think this is difficult?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I have LPVO and ACOG.  Both work.  I admit to liking tritium in sights, but I also like being able to turn the brightness up or down on a LPVO that has an illuminated reticle.

My ACOG has worked fabulously for well over 20 years, and a couple of years ago I returned it to Trijicon to have the tritium refreshed.   Both optical devices work and serve me well.

I support anyone who wants to like, or dislike either one.  I have no investment in trying to convince anyone to like or dislike either one.  Buy and use whatever you want.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#49]
My battle rifle has a LPVO, my primary general use gun has a prism and dot, and my HD rifle has a dot. I can’t imagine using the same optic across all of them.
View Quote

That's another good point to be made.

I think the advantage of an LPVO gets blurred alot when mounted on a lightweight rifle like an AR-15, but when mounted on something that can take better advantage of the range and magnification it can be seen as more of a lightweight alternative to something like a full power scope.

I keep a 1-10 razor on my FAL, but just a 2.5x prism on my 16" AR, and would not consider putting an LPVO on the AR unless it was a 20"
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Weird that you see lots of dudes winning matches with LPVOs and I can’t remember the last time I saw an ACOG in the top ten.
View Quote

When I first started competition several years ago, ACOGs were already disappearing. There was one guy, though, who loved them so much that he had a tattoo of the ACOG reticle on his calf.
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top