Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2017 3:53:45 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the TA44 or TA45 series of 1.5x ACOGs? Thinking about trying one out to replace a T-1.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread talks about this very topic at length.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them but they can't replace a RDS. A RDS is still superior for close up/shooting fast.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
ACOG is probably the single best optic in the world.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with the TA44 or TA45 series of 1.5x ACOGs? Thinking about trying one out to replace a T-1.
View Quote

Sure.

Trijicon ACOG 1.5x TA45 Optic Review: Red Dot Replacement? (HD)

Trijicon TA44 1.5x Magnification ACOG Optic Review (HD)
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I replaced a T-1 with a TA44 on my 11.5".  I noticed no change in speed up close but I did notice a accuracy increase further out.  I did not do any timed testing though. My TA44 has the circle dot and I will not go back to the T-1. The TA44 is IMO better. When I owned a TA33, I could tell a definite speed decrease from the T-1.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, forget it. No one will post in your thread. And mods will lock it. Peeps are only allowed and interested in Aimpoint, Vortex, and BCM.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of each on different rifles one is for day shooting the other for night.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, forget it. No one will post in your thread. And mods will lock it. Peeps are only allowed and interested in Aimpoint, Vortex, and BCM.
View Quote
How'd I know who this was before checking the username? This is the tech forum.

OP, mini-ACOGs are awesome. For my HD rifle I feel nothing really replaces a quality red dot, but for outdoor general purpose optics they're often the first thing I look at. On SBR's and non-precision (and even light precision) rifles, I'd  highly recommend them.

The 44SG/SR is my main recommendation. If you want ridiculous eye relief at expense of FOV, you want the 45. The 47 is the awkward middle child in many respects, but a great optic in its own right. The 50 is great if you shoot NTCH but very limiting otherwise like the 31. The 33 is considered by many to be the RDS of ACOGs, in that it's often regarded as very fast to get hits with, while still allowing the precision of a BCD and 3X.

They're all great, you just need to select the one that works best for what you're wanting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have owned the TA44 circle reticle in green and red.

In green, it would disappear in brightly lit foliage (the kind that's light green, and when the sun flashes against it can look like a car's mirror, etc. especially when wet). It worked okay behind a WML though.
In red, it was great outdoors, but sucked behind a WML, with the reticle washing black, and being useless against a dark colored target at night.

Clarity and light transmission were excellent. Eye relief and eyebox were superb.

I would rather have a T2 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Love my TA45 on 10.5" SBR. I do most of my shooting with it within 100 yards and it is fantastic for this, nice tight groups on IPSC target heads at 100, better than I got with my red dots (mostly because my astigmatism). Even found it pretty easy to hit 10" plates at 250yds during a outlaw 3gun match.

Its not great in the dark on its own but when I turn on my weapon light the reticle shows up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to try one, don't want to swing the $ right now.

My TA33 is awesome though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
My first ACOG was a low magnification model in 1996.  I had that one for YEARS!

I currently have a couple of TA47 2x20.  I've owned many other models including the ubiquitous TA01NSN, TA31, TA33, and TA11.

The TA47 is a great compromise between a RDS and magnified optic.  (I also use an Aimpoint CompM4S and T1).  

Here's my summary:

The RDS will be faster.
The higher mag ACOG will be better at distance.
The 2x ACOG is a compromise.

ETA:

If you want to start an argument...ask about reticle color.  I prefer green, but have owned red and amber too.  My second choice would be amber.  I've always found the red to be too dim for my liking.  The green can wash out against lush spring grass, but that's only while siting in Fort Living Room holding an ACOG looking across the yard at my neighbor's dog crapping on my lawn.   THE ACOG WAS NOT MOUNTED ON A RIFLE.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I replaced a T-1 with a TA44 on my 11.5".  I noticed no change in speed up close but I did notice a accuracy increase further out.  I did not do any timed testing though. My TA44 has the circle dot and I will not go back to the T-1. The TA44 is IMO better. When I owned a TA33, I could tell a definite speed decrease from the T-1.
View Quote
Try shooting at night or when your fiber tube had no light on it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top