BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2017 11:32:40 PM EDT
I can't believe what I've been missing out on!!! 

This 1.5x TA44 is litterally the best low power optic I've ever laid hands on! And that's coming from a guy that's owned Aimpoint T-2's, Trijicon MRO's, 1-4x variable power optics, and much more. 

I never thought I'd like 1.5x, but I actually find it very useful. It's low enough you can still perform fast target acquisition and changes very fast and smooth, but high enough it gives you a slight advantage over 1x optics like Aimpoint micros. 

I intially made the switch in an effort to replace all of my battery powered optics with fiberoptics and tritium. I knew I'd like it, but never could've guessed this much. It's slight magnification almost completely eliminates any "tunnel effect". It has crystal clear glass. The reticle is etched so it's always there even when your shooting from a dark space into a bright space (effectively washing out most fiberoptic dots). And there's virtually no starbursting like some red dots. 

I wish I had more time to give all the small details and reasons, but for now this is my testimony. Once I have more time behind it I'll give an in depth report. With that said, if you consider yourself an avid Aimpoint micro or Trijicon MRO fan... you should seriously consider stopping by a local gun store and checking one out. Even if you've always looked down on them as I did. I only wish I had known sooner. Thanks guys! Let me know if you have any questions. 

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think are good optics for sure but they won't replace my Aimpoint .... They (acogs) suck at night/dusk as the tritium IMO just isn't bright enough.... Some people run push button led lights over the fiber strip but that's just silly to me

I had that exact acog on my SBR and went back to my T2

Either way we are all different and sounds like you found what fits you
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely, I still love Aimpoint micros and definitely give them the advantage in low light conditions. With that said I am a weirdo preparing for worst case scenarios like electronics not working or not being able to find batteries. I know they last like 4 years, but like I said, worst case scenario. Think EMP. Natural or man made. I will probably buy more T-2's in the future, but for personal preferences I think I'll keep fiber optics on my go to rifle. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Big fan of mine. Still have my Aimpoints too, but I do like the little ACOG.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You sir, have good tastes in your pick of parts for that rifle of yours.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I really liked mine until I took it outside in the spring. Then, the reticle bid adieu, and the trees were so green and pretty. So I bought the red one. I loved it until I turned on my WML and washed it out and the black etched reticle disappeared on anything dark. I went back to Aimpoints for a lightweight 0X solution.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate ACOGS.  I really really do.  

Why?  because they have ruined me on anything else.  I hate using red dots (T1, etc) because of my astigmatism.  Once I got my first ACOG and saw how clear the reticle was, I immediately sold every single red dot I had and replaced them with ACOGS.  

So now every new rifle I get I try and try to buy something else, like a 1-4 or 1-6 but once I actually start looking at them (HEAVY as fuck and seem less durable than an ACOG) I always end up with another ACOG.  I can't see myself ever using anything else on the AR15 platform rifle.  

I also like how easy it is to mount them.  No fucking with plumb bobs and levels and torque wrenches to mount a scope.  Just tighten two screws and mount to upper.  No mounts that weigh 7-9 oz, no optics that weight 16 oz.  Or heaven forbid I get the Vortex I was looking at.  That thing is 22oz then with a mount you are looking at 29-30oz.  I can mount a TA31 in Geissele mount and it comes in around 13 oz.  TA33 with mount equals 10oz.  TA44s with mount is around 7 oz.  Even the TA11 and mount only come in around 17oz.  

No batteries to go dead.  

But mainly it is the eye issue that makes me love them so much.  Everything is clear and bright.  Yep, I hate ACOGS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate ACOGS.  I really really do.  

Why?  because they have ruined me on anything else.  I hate using red dots (T1, etc) because of my astigmatism.  Once I got my first ACOG and saw how clear the reticle was, I immediately sold every single red dot I had and replaced them with ACOGS.  

So now every new rifle I get I try and try to buy something else, like a 1-4 or 1-6 but once I actually start looking at them (HEAVY as fuck and seem less durable than an ACOG) I always end up with another ACOG.  I can't see myself ever using anything else on the AR15 platform rifle.  

I also like how easy it is to mount them.  No fucking with plumb bobs and levels and torque wrenches to mount a scope.  Just tighten two screws and mount to upper.  No mounts that weigh 7-9 oz, no optics that weight 16 oz.  Or heaven forbid I get the Vortex I was looking at.  That thing is 22oz then with a mount you are looking at 29-30oz.  I can mount a TA31 in Geissele mount and it comes in around 13 oz.  TA33 with mount equals 10oz.  TA44s with mount is around 7 oz.  Even the TA11 and mount only come in around 17oz.  

No batteries to go dead.  

But mainly it is the eye issue that makes me love them so much.  Everything is clear and bright.  Yep, I hate ACOGS.  
View Quote
I don't really like them, but I do envy their ease of mounting, as you state!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the green reticle, I've had red ones, they are terrible and dimmer an order of magnitude.

the green is not really green at all, it's that bright neon electric color. I've never had wash-out.

The biggest dilemma with the ACOG is which one to get.  

I moved from the M4 Comp M4 to ACOG, the latter is much brighter and you have no astigmatism related effects. The dot or crosshair is crisp.  

I don't think any RDS can work for me all that well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Another big fan of ACOGs here, especially the TA44. Excellent glass. Clear and crisp. Very durable. No batteries or switches to worry about. Reticle is crisp and clean especially if your eyes are older or have astig. The magnification is modest, especially the 1.5X but pared with that excellent crisp reticle, it is very useful and precise. I can shoot sub MOA with my TA44 with my favorite loads.

But they have limitations, as pointed out above:

They are not as fast <50 yards as an RDS. (but much more precise >50)
The reticle will wash out, especially at night if using a WML. It will still be visible as it is etched but will be dim in some lighting and slower than an RDS that you can adjust brightness.
The tritium is dim in low light, especially if your target area has some light sources that will seem brighter than the reticle, ie a modern night urban setting. When I worked as an LEO at night, my AR had a Trijicon Reflex sight. It had the same problem with the reticle washing out but was still usable. Just not as fast as an RDS.

So, the TA44 is a superb outdoor, daytime, all-around optic.
The RDS, especially the excellent T2 is a better low-light, night time, contact distance, or indoor combat optic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
They are intriguing but feel they offer little to nothing as an advantage to a T2. And with an Aimpoint I don't have a limited eye relief. Lastly, as mentioned, low light conditions favor the RDS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are intriguing but feel they offer little to nothing as an advantage to a T2. And with an Aimpoint I don't have a limited eye relief. Lastly, as mentioned, low light conditions favor the RDS.
View Quote
I agree. The only 2 advantages that I have personally experience with the TA44 over the T2 is more precision beyond 50 yards (even when using a 3X behind the T2 which distorts the dot) and the lack of a battery and associated switching/circuitry. That circle-dot reticle is a thing of beauty. And never having to worry about the battery dying or leaking or a lose battery cap is very comforting.

Durability is probably a wash and I think I would have to beat both optics with hammers all day long to see which is tougher.

Size and weight are about the same.

But the T2 has some major advantages...the ability to manually adjust the brightness to match the environment. And the ability to use with NV. Thus making the T2 more versatile.

If I had to go get into something serious involving armed adversaries, and I could not pick the time, place, and distance, I would choose an Aimpoint due to the versatility.

If I was in some TEOTWAWKI post nuclear war, Book of Eli, Road Warrior part 5 type scenario, then I would choose my TA44 or TA11.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree. The only 2 advantages that I have personally experience with the TA44 over the T2 is more precision beyond 50 yards (even when using a 3X behind the T2 which distorts the dot) and the lack of a battery and associated switching/circuitry. That circle-dot reticle is a thing of beauty. And never having to worry about the battery dying or leaking or a lose battery cap is very comforting.

Durability is probably a wash and I think I would have to beat both optics with hammers all day long to see which is tougher.

But the T2 has some major advantages...the ability to manually adjust the brightness to match the environment. And the ability to use with NV. Thus making the T2 more versatile.

If I had to go get into something serious involving armed adversaries, and I could not pick the time, place, and distance, I would choose an Aimpoint due to the versatility.

If I was in some TEOTWAWKI post nuclear war, Book of Eli, Road Warrior part 5 type scenario, then I would choose my TA44 or TA11.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ACOG is perfectly useable with NV.

I have had a T1 and sold it, now I have an MRO (the dot is IMHO much more well defined). I also just acquired a TA33 and I LOVE it.

Now I want a TA44 (not gonna spend that $ though)..
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I havnt figured out how to use my PVS14 with any ACOG. Cant mount it behind the scope, like I do with various Aimpoints. Mounting it in front of the scope will change the zero.

Just playing around, I mounted my TA44 way forward on my rail and put my PVS14 behind it, same as I do with my Aimpoints. This doesn't work. The reticle blooms way to much.

AGOGs are usable with head mounted PVS14, looking with the un-aided eye I can see the glowing ACOG reticle and aim. This is would be my preferred method since I use an IR laser with head mounted NV 90%. But this is not the same as a weapons mounted NV device.

But I'm here to learn....
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't say it was ideal, I said it's useable.

Attachment Attached File

IMHO, using a PVS14 behind any optic is suboptimal. Helmet mounted with LAM is the the best way to go. If you want to Weapons mount a NOD, buy a dedicated device. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one on my 6.8 "yard gun" keep an Aimpoint on my HD nighttime gun
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I didn't say it was ideal, I said it's useable.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71141/IMG-3942-195134.JPG

IMHO, using a PVS14 behind any optic is suboptimal. Helmet mounted with LAM is the the best way to go. If you want to Weapons mount a NOD, buy a dedicated device. JMHO.
View Quote
Agreed.  To make optics decisions based on NV capabilities is to vastly underutilize the utility of NV when used with an IR laser.  I don't even consider using my NV behind my T2's.  I frankly like the T2 over the H2 because it bypasses the horrific white "Aimpoint" logo.

And resale value
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Agreed.  To make optics decisions based on NV capabilities is to vastly underutilize the utility of NV when used with an IR laser.  I don't even consider using my NV behind my T2's.  I frankly like the T2 over the H2 because it bypasses the horrific white "Aimpoint" logo.

And resale value
View Quote
Again, I agree. Weapon's mounted PVS14 works but is "sub-optimal". It's like looking through a straw and makes my Gen 3 look like a Gen 2. But it is useful sometimes and adds versatility. And, I have to weapon mount my PVS14 to zero my IR laser. And, if one day I get to use a range at night, I would like to shoot some groups on paper using my NV. Something not practical with a head mounted unit.

Having said that, head mounted NV with weapon mounted IR laser is the best way for 90% of my night time use. But for maximum accuracy, it needs to be weapons mounted  

But lets not hijack an excellent ACOG thread. I'm glad people like the TA44. I love mine. Its now my favorite ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I may need to try one.  I haven't read one person with a bad experience as an owner
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#19]
what reticle does everyone like on their TA44s?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I think a TA44 is in my future.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
ACOG uses a far superior glass. More light transmission, the view is brighter.  No stupid astigmatism related side effects. I have an issue here and all RDS appear a little less than circular but a bit like a comet. I have no issues when the dot is turned to a low power. On high, it's terrible.
Still, a "real" optic is just so far superior. The reticle is crisp and given no electrical compoments to break, durable.

You can drive nail with an ACOG and then re-mount it and produced sub-MOA groups at 100.

Yeah, the mini-ACOGs offer tons of advantages over any RDS.  The price reflects that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ACOG uses a far superior glass. More light transmission, the view is brighter.  No stupid astigmatism related side effects. I have an issue here and all RDS appear a little less than circular but a bit like a comet. I have no issues when the dot is turned to a low power. On high, it's terrible.
Still, a "real" optic is just so far superior. The reticle is crisp and given no electrical compoments to break, durable.

You can drive nail with an ACOG and then re-mount it and produced sub-MOA groups at 100.

Yeah, the mini-ACOGs offer tons of advantages over any RDS.  The price reflects that.
View Quote
...and many disadvantages. I think the Astigmatism and glass quality angle are the only two I like. Mine were "meh". The green is the same color as new foliage when the sun hits it. Dumped it after shooting outdoors with it once. It is also a pain to look at against a light colored target like a piece of white paper or a white vehicle in sunlight, if the optic is also in the sun, as the lime green reticle is very light in those conditions, and you need to cover it with something for best results.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Trijicon is really at the top of the game for carbine optics right now.

MRO is fantastic
ACOG's still fantastic
RMR's are good
Accupoints are tremendous hunting rifle optics
the accupower 1-8 is the tits

No company can match all that
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I really like the TA44, have it mounted on my AUG. Very flexible eye relief and the green 'donut of death' reticle is extremely visible.

I opted for it over the T2 because
-clearer glass (red dots have a bit of tint)
- 1.5x magnification is fast up close, but also is big help at distance (300 yard target appears 200 yards away)
-donut of death reticle is reminiscent of the EOTECH
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what reticle does everyone like on their TA44s?
View Quote
The only one that I have ever seen is the circle-dot reticle. But I think they offer another, maybe crosshair. But I'm too lazy to look it up.

Circle-dot is the best IMO. Kinda like an EOTEC but smaller. The dot in the center is 2MOA for precision while the circle, which is probably 20 MOA (guessing) is fairly fast.

The question is what color. I have a TA44 in amber and another in red. I prefer the red by a small margin. I have a TA11 with the green and while I like it, living here in FL where everything is some shade of green, the green can wash out a little when looking at foliage in bright sunlight. But green is probably best out West while the amber would be worst in dry, late fall, or desert locales. So the red seems to be "best" in all areas from snow, jungle, to desert IMO.  

Everyone seems to love green reticles and hates the amber, which I like since it stands out on foliage well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#27]
There may be a good reason for this, but why doesn't Trijicon make a 1x ACOG?  Basically a Reflex but with an etched reticle.  I think the downside would be eye relief, maybe parallax too, but it would alleviate some of the washing out concerns you get with the Reflex, IMO, and you don't have the potential for the emitter to be obstructed.  I know it's possible, Vortex makes a 1x prism sight.

It's too bad the Tri-Power was a flop.  A battery-operated optic with fiber optic and tritium backup would be the ultimate survival optic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only one that I have ever seen is the circle-dot reticle. But I think they offer another, maybe crosshair. But I'm too lazy to look it up.

Circle-dot is the best IMO. Kinda like an EOTEC but smaller. The dot in the center is 2MOA for precision while the circle, which is probably 20 MOA (guessing) is fairly fast.

The question is what color. I have a TA44 in amber and another in red. I prefer the red by a small margin. I have a TA11 with the green and while I like it, living here in FL where everything is some shade of green, the green can wash out a little when looking at foliage in bright sunlight. But green is probably best out West while the amber would be worst in dry, late fall, or desert locales. So the red seems to be "best" in all areas from snow, jungle, to desert IMO.  

Everyone seems to love green reticles and hates the amber, which I like since it stands out on foliage well.
View Quote
I've owned many acogs of all varieties. I actually much prefer amber over red. It "pops" more to me and it is also brighter in low light.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

...and many disadvantages. I think the Astigmatism and glass quality angle are the only two I like. Mine were "meh". The green is the same color as new foliage when the sun hits it.

No, it's not.  I've never mistaken the neon green for anything else. It's distinctly different.

Dumped it after shooting outdoors with it once. It is also a pain to look at against a light colored target like a piece of white paper or a white vehicle in sunlight, if the optic is also in the sun, as the lime green reticle is very light in those conditions, and you need to cover it with something for best results.
View Quote
The biggest problem with the ACOG line is that the tritium burns out and the repair is so expensive as to be not cost-effective at all. About 460 per unit and you might as well get another scope altogether. That's the quote I got about 5 years ago. Maybe it's higher now.

There is nothing good about not having to change batteries. I would prefer to change a Lihitum CR123A cell once a year or even Energizer AA, or both.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The biggest problem with the ACOG line is that the tritium burns out and the repair is so expensive as to be not cost-effective at all. About 460 per unit and you might as well get another scope altogether. That's the quote I got about 5 years ago. Maybe it's higher now.

There is nothing good about not having to change batteries. I would prefer to change a Lihitum CR123A cell once a year or even Energizer AA, or both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and many disadvantages. I think the Astigmatism and glass quality angle are the only two I like. Mine were "meh". The green is the same color as new foliage when the sun hits it.

No, it's not.  I've never mistaken the neon green for anything else. It's distinctly different.

Dumped it after shooting outdoors with it once. It is also a pain to look at against a light colored target like a piece of white paper or a white vehicle in sunlight, if the optic is also in the sun, as the lime green reticle is very light in those conditions, and you need to cover it with something for best results.

I also subscribe to battery vs tritium. In an absolute TEOTWAWKI scenario, I'll take a battery option over tritium dimming. I get the sun, etched reticle, and 12 year half life arguments but prefer the battery option.

I had an ACOG and have a 1-4 AccuPower. My T2s aren't going anywhere...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
To add, green lasts absolutely longer than red and stays visible, much much longer. No experience with amber. But the original red donut is completely worthless. It's very dim even when new.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, it is the same color. Not in the store, but in the real world where your reticle has a hundred different shades and so does the foliage due to varying light conditions on both, a shocking amount are matches.

Agreed on batteries.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Mini ACOG that runs on AA or even AAA would be tits. Hell, a Micro type RDS (Triji or Aimpoint) would as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#34]
ACOG and it's limited lifetime reticle and stupid expensive replacement is not a problem at all when someone else pays the bill.

Much like Surefire products, you know.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can't believe what I've been missing out on!!! 

This 1.5x TA44 is litterally the best low power optic I've ever laid hands on! And that's coming from a guy that's owned Aimpoint T-2's, Trijicon MRO's, 1-4x variable power optics, and much more. 

I never thought I'd like 1.5x, but I actually find it very useful. It's low enough you can still perform fast target acquisition and changes very fast and smooth, but high enough it gives you a slight advantage over 1x optics like Aimpoint micros. 

I intially made the switch in an effort to replace all of my battery powered optics with fiberoptics and tritium. I knew I'd like it, but never could've guessed this much. It's slight magnification almost completely eliminates any "tunnel effect". It has crystal clear glass. The reticle is etched so it's always there even when your shooting from a dark space into a bright space (effectively washing out most fiberoptic dots). And there's virtually no starbursting like some red dots. 

I wish I had more time to give all the small details and reasons, but for now this is my testimony. Once I have more time behind it I'll give an in depth report. With that said, if you consider yourself an avid Aimpoint micro or Trijicon MRO fan... you should seriously consider stopping by a local gun store and checking one out. Even if you've always looked down on them as I did. I only wish I had known sooner. Thanks guys! Let me know if you have any questions. 

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/DB89E77C-E70C-433C-8026-BEBFC72CA93E_zpsywcmtzum.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/BA14778E-E1A8-48E4-A7D4-2C7667292A71_zps2sol5txe.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/EC46894A-66E8-4A87-9C87-5D242A460B9C_zps7mnhgajo.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/466AEA20-71E8-4681-8641-1AB330B0DEF3_zpspmyqeqzq.jpg
View Quote

Nice! I used to have a 3x mini Acog. I'll have to look into the TA44.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Put it in a high mount or get the ADM spacer and you'll like it even more.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A Mini ACOG that runs on AA or even AAA would be tits. Hell, a Micro type RDS (Triji or Aimpoint) would as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aimpoint has a micro that is AAA coming out in the future.  Not sure the window is larger than the current micros though...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've owned many acogs of all varieties. I actually much prefer amber over red. It "pops" more to me and it is also brighter in low light.
View Quote
I've owned several ACOGS and also prefer the amber over red or green.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:55:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Aimpoint has a micro that is AAA coming out in the future.  Not sure the window is larger than the current micros though...
View Quote
That still won't help people with astigmatisms, etc. and the glass won't be as clear, light transmission won't be as good, either.

A 1x ACOG powered by a AAA battery and FO would be AWESOME for those with astigmatism and the "but what if!?" crowd. It would be a pretty nice optic all-around, really.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That still won't help people with astigmatisms, etc. and the glass won't be as clear, light transmission won't be as good, either.

A 1x ACOG powered by a AAA battery and FO would be AWESOME for those with astigmatism and the "but what if!?" crowd. It would be a pretty nice optic all-around, really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you looked through a T2? Most who see a comet or starburst on a T1 see a much better dot with a less blue hue through a T2.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Took it out yesterday to compare against some vegitation in different lighting. I covered the fiberoptics in one photo to just see the etched reticle. It seems to work pretty good so far. I'll compare it in other lighting and vegetation this weekend. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/956B05F8-926A-4BE3-95C5-9C0627E70E90_zpshr0jmd8t.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/993FAB70-D089-4CD2-8221-1B03013C09C5_zpsrby8bvog.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/21BFFEA4-EDAC-411A-AB4A-BEC75558963E_zpsfd3rjphu.jpgTook it out yesterday to compare against some vegitation in different lighting. I covered the fiberoptics in one photo to just see the etched reticle. It seems to work pretty good so far. I'll compare it in other lighting and vegetation this weekend. 
View Quote
Compare it to green foliage like you have there with the sun hitting the foliage on the surface you are looking at. That was where I had issues with it being significantly harder to pick up. Like in your far right photo, if you had aimed it at the brighter lit grass, and then factor in varying amounts of light hitting the fiber-optic, say the ligthening/darkening of a cloud passing over the field, you first, then the grass, both, etc.

In short, I found it more troubling than it sounds like it is, in the real world during spring in the woods with sunlight in the Southern US.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#45]
From what I read the amber gets the most wash out
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I own both green and amber reticles in "Reflex" optics and amber definitely washes out the worst. With that said I have zero experience with amber in a magnified optic & etched reticle. But from what I'm reading lately it seems amber is the least likely to wash out in an etched reticle (correction: least likely to wash out between amber and green. Obviously red is the least likely to wash out against natural vegetation). I've seen where multiple people claim this. I've also heard a lot of people say red is the dimmest. Which would explain why they would only offer it in an etched reticle and not a reflex optic. My personal fear is that amber might start to blend in with the environment in really dry summers or in the fall. I'm going to do a little more testing of my green reticle and make a decision from that. So far there's very little it has blended in with and that has only happened when I'm in a dark house looking out into the well lit trees and vegetation. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
i think reticle color is like ice cream....everyone has a favorite flavor and is really more dependent on eye structure and brain connections as to which works best.

red is my favorite, maybe because my brain is use to aimpoints for the last 20 years but my eye just glues to the red. amber works for me too. i can't stand green and i live in the desert with alot of brown.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I own both green and amber reticles in "Reflex" optics and amber definitely washes out the worst. With that said I have zero experience with amber in a magnified optic & etched reticle. But from what I'm reading lately it seems amber is the least likely to wash out in an etched reticle (correction: least likely to wash out between amber and green. Obviously red is the least likely to wash out against natural vegetation). I've seen where multiple people claim this. I've also heard a lot of people say red is the dimmest. Which would explain why they would only offer it in an etched reticle and not a reflex optic. My personal fear is that amber might start to blend in with the environment in really dry summers or in the fall. I'm going to do a little more testing of my green reticle and make a decision from that. So far there's very little it has blended in with and that has only happened when I'm in a dark house looking out into the well lit trees and vegetation. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makes sense
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#49]
There's not really a 'best' or 'worst' in regards to picking ACOGs, both in terms of model and reticle choice. There's only best and worst 'for you'. Different colors work better for different people. I've used all three and honestly like them about the same. Amber seems to be the red headed stepchild, which is a shame, the one I had was nuclear blaze bright and stood out like a little sun for me.

WRT models, all are different compromises of eye relief, magnification, and FOV. Which is best for your preferences, your rifle, and your shooting style, will determine which model is best. This is why people argue about 31vs33vs11, etc. They're all right, depending on what you're doing.

I love the 44 line, and currently have a TA-44SG on my 300blk honey badger 'woods gun'.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/956B05F8-926A-4BE3-95C5-9C0627E70E90_zpshr0jmd8t.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/993FAB70-D089-4CD2-8221-1B03013C09C5_zpsrby8bvog.jpghttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/yearoger27/21BFFEA4-EDAC-411A-AB4A-BEC75558963E_zpsfd3rjphu.jpgTook it out yesterday to compare against some vegitation in different lighting. I covered the fiberoptics in one photo to just see the etched reticle. It seems to work pretty good so far. I'll compare it in other lighting and vegetation this weekend. 
View Quote
TA44 I see.

Has anyone done something as crazy as put a TA44 1.5x on a shotty? It seems it's almost as good as a RDS in RDS conditions and buckshot but the extra punch of 1.5x means it can be used with slugs to 100 yards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top