BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/12/2017 3:06:18 PM EDT
Really considering this scope for my 3-gun and SHTF rifle, a DD Mark12.  
Has anyone used this scope?  If so, how are the glass quality and illumination?  Is it daylight-bright, able to be used like a red dot?

Thanks all.
Happy shooting
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You saw JW2 huh?

Dunno personally. Am interested.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I even hit search and didn't see it.   Doesn't seem very useful.  Lots of whining about weight and what ifs but I didn't see an actual review?
And no, I haven't (probably won't) seen John Wick 2.  I don't think Keanu Reeves can act to save his life.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to bite but decided to go with Kahles 1-6 combo from Larue. Tried and true at $1000 or so more. Heard mixed results from the Trijicon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was going to bite but decided to go with Kahles 1-6 combo from Larue. Tried and true at $1000 or so more. Heard mixed results from the Trijicon.
View Quote

The only issue was the daylight bright.  The red seems to be
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen no compelling info that it is daylight bright (Red of green)
And I would guess they used the same illumination from the 1/4 to power this one. and the 1x4 is not daylight bright.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Screw it.  I might just pick up one up.
Take it out of the box and snap a few photos.  
If I haven't mounted it, I can then return, and we'll have some definitive info.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have seen no compelling info that it is daylight bright (Red of green)
And I would guess they used the same illumination from the 1/4 to power this one. and the 1x4 is not daylight bright.
View Quote

Look at the pics in the other thread.  The red looks daylight bright
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really considering this scope for my 3-gun and SHTF rifle, a DD Mark12.  
Has anyone used this scope?  If so, how are the glass quality and illumination?  Is it daylight-bright, able to be used like a red dot?

Thanks all.
Happy shooting
View Quote
the glass is very good

it is not daylight bright like a red dot
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did, not daylight bright.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I haven't mounted it, I can then return, and we'll have some definitive info.
View Quote

I viewed this scope at SHOT show.  Red Reticle in my opinion is daylight bright.  This scope is number one on my to buy list for the AR platform.  
Look at Red reticle pictures in the other thread.  I did not look at the green reticle at SHOT but green illumination is nothing Im interested in.
I would easily compare the brightness level to my Steiner 1-4 Military.

No stake in the game but this scope is a great option.  The glass on my Steiner is better.  That being said definitely want this optic for my purposes especially with the low end being very close to true one. Some are getting their hands on them now so hopefully others who have the scope or have viewed the scope can offer their opinions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I viewed this scope at SHOT show.  Red Reticle in my opinion is daylight bright.  This scope is number one on my to buy list for the AR platform.  
Look at Red reticle pictures in the other thread.  I did not look at the green reticle at SHOT but green illumination is nothing Im interested in.

No stake in the game but this scope is a great option.  The glass on my Steiner is better.  That being said definitely want this optic for my purposes especially with the low end being very close to true one. Some are getting their hands on them now so hopefully others who have the scope or have viewed the scope can offer their opinions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you looked at in indoors... and you like the glass on your Steiner better (Which is Daylight bright),Yet you say its a great option...  
At that price point... Not seeing it. But if you like it, that's all that counts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you looked at in indoors... and you like the glass on your Steiner better (Which is Daylight bright),Yet you say its a great option...  
At that price point... Not seeing it. But if you like it, that's all that counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is a great option 1-8 vs 1-4 on my Steiner. 34 mm tube to increase exit pupil and fov. The glass is very good but I would give my Steiner the edge in glass quality. The red reticle is very bright and would easily work with my eyes outside on a bright sunny day.
Perhaps you should actually take a hands on look at it and you might be pleasantly surprised by what this optic has to offer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Mil version ordered from Euro Optics.
Should have later this week.  
Will post pics when I receive it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Red Mil version ordered from Euro Optics.
Should have later this week.  
Will post pics when I receive it.
View Quote

Give more outdoor pics to dispel or confirm concerns
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#17]
That's the plan
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sorry for being a bone head, but I had this daylight bright discussion before.  If daylight bright means you can see the segmented circle or center dot during daylight, like on an Aimpoint, the answer is no.  I have a 1-4, green reticle.  At mid to high illumination power, the dot and circle are black.  I like Trijicon, I think the glass is clear, but knowing what I know now, would have thought harder before purchasing.  

I looked at the 1-4 at a local gun store, inside, under store light and I was amazed at the clarity.  The illuminated reticle looked good, but get this scope outside, against a dirt berm, bright daylight, you have a normal scope with a black reticle.  Based on this one time handling, I purchased a combo from Larue, the best deal when you consider the cost of the mount.   It is on my 556 OBR,  I like the scope, will keep it, may move it around to other rifles down the road.  

As noted above, the red may be different.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I plan on getting one despite what Harv24 has to say about this scope. Yeah it's not super bright but I have not seen many daylight bright battery scopes. I know someone will scream vortex razor 1-6 but that dot is so small that I don't consider that daylight bright. My VCOG with green segmented circle isn't overly bright on a cloudless day at noon but if I have any shade it's bright and honestly the reticle is big enough for me notice it. If the 1-8 has glass like my 3-9 accupower, my vcog, or any of my accupoints then that is enough reason to get it. People are saying red is bright so I'm going red MOA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I get that everyone is comparing these to Kahles and Swaro, and Razor, but I think that's a bit of a tilted playing field.  This is a 1-8 scope at the price of a Razor 1-6 (considerably less than S&B, Kahles, Swaro et al).

I honestly think that this scopes main competition is the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 and the Burris XTR II 1-8.  Does anyone here have time on both?  Everyone's knocking the Trij as not being daylight bright....is the PA and Burris in the same boat?  Are there any other semi-serious 1-8 scopes in the $1200-$1500 price range?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't understand why Trijicon keeps coming out with everything BUT a 1-4 Accupoint with a Horseshoe
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#22]
DUPLICATE
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am sorry for being a bone head, but I had this daylight bright discussion before.  If daylight bright means you can see the segmented circle or center dot during daylight, like on an Aimpoint, the answer is no.  I have a 1-4, green reticle.  At mid to high illumination power, the dot and circle are black.  I like Trijicon, I think the glass is clear, but knowing what I know now, would have thought harder before purchasing.  

I looked at the 1-4 at a local gun store, inside, under store light and I was amazed at the clarity.  The illuminated reticle looked good, but get this scope outside, against a dirt berm, bright daylight, you have a normal scope with a black reticle.  Based on this one time handling, I purchased a combo from Larue, the best deal when you consider the cost of the mount.   It is on my 556 OBR,  I like the scope, will keep it, may move it around to other rifles down the road.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too have the green segmented 1-4x. At 11 brightness, you cannot see it on a bright day. Agree with you.

The difference in the 1-8x is potentially slightly newer tech but even more important the reports are the red is considerably brighter than the green for this new offering.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine shipped 2nd-day Air from UPS today.
I'll let everyone know on Friday.  
REALLY hoping it's daylight bright.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I plan on getting one despite what Harv24 has to say about this scope. Yeah it's not super bright but I have not seen many daylight bright battery scopes. I know someone will scream vortex razor 1-6 but that dot is so small that I don't consider that daylight bright. My VCOG with green segmented circle isn't overly bright on a cloudless day at noon but if I have any shade it's bright and honestly the reticle is big enough for me notice it. If the 1-8 has glass like my 3-9 accupower, my vcog, or any of my accupoints then that is enough reason to get it. People are saying red is bright so I'm going red MOA.
View Quote

To try and add to this point. There is always an advantage to creating shade when using an optic. On really bright days shooting with a sun shade on the optic and a hat with a brim are simple fixes to give you a much clearer shot with any optic.  Additionally on super bright days the reticle with the illumination off works really well.  I would compare this scopes max power setting to level 9  on my Steiner 1-4  Military. That being said I have never encountered a need to run higher than 7 power.
I look forward to hearing more and seeing more pictures from people that purchase or have had hands on this optic. Saving my money to buy this scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Where might I find a rifle optic sunshade.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where might I find a rifle optic sunshade.
View Quote

I would look at Tenebraex for a combo lens cover and shade as my first choice to see if they have something that works. They are pretty helpful at Mile high shooting with parts and accessories.  Additionally any major camera lens seller should work. Wait until you get your scope in to make sure it threads and fits.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Received my red MOA from Euro Optics today. It is ABSOLUTELY daylight bright. I will try and get some pics, but it is hard to capture on a cell phone camera. It is NOT Aimpoint bright. What I mean by that is my H1 is about two settings brighter. So, with the Accupower being on 11, it would equal about about a 10 on my H1. Looking into a bright blue cloudless desert sky facing the sun you can, without a doubt see the red at max illuminated, and it is easy to see.

Glass is clear edge to edge, and appears to be a true 1x. Blows my XTRII 3-15 glass away by quite a bit. It would put the glass about equal to my Mk4 3.5-10. Glass is crisp with a great contrast. Reticle is great up to about 6x, then it just gets "fat". Just to thick for precision work, but should be fine on steel. Super easy to pick up this Reticle at 1x with the illum.

Turrets are nice and crisp, audible. The locking mechanism is nice, but wish it was a bit stiffer to go locked/unlocked. It should be sufficient the way it is though.

Trijicon just about hit this one right on the head. I have a few dislikes like the "fat" Reticle at 8x, and wish the locking mechanism was a bit stiffer, but all in all this is probably one of the nicest LPV I have ever looked through,  and I have been through quite a few. I would consider myself a glass snob and you would have to go up to S&B territory to find something nicer.
Pic on my 16" .308 gasser
ETA: also the scope cover caps suck. It'd a bikini cover kinda setup, and it's similar to something that would come with a BSA scope. So, real scope caps are a must.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Awesome to hear. Thanks for your input. Kind of what my thoughts were on this is they hit this one out of the park (especially at this price point). Would like to see a capped turret option as holds would be simple with the Mil reticle.
Great picture.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Received my red MOA from Euro Optics today. It is ABSOLUTELY daylight bright. I will try and get some pics, but it is hard to capture on a cell phone camera. It is NOT Aimpoint bright. What I mean by that is my H1 is about two settings brighter. So, with the Accupower being on 11, it would equal about about a 10 on my H1. Looking into a bright blue cloudless desert sky facing the sun you can, without a doubt see the red at max illuminated, and it is easy to see.

Glass is clear edge to edge, and appears to be a true 1x. Blows my XTRII 3-15 glass away by quite a bit. It would put the glass about equal to my Mk4 3.5-10. Glass is crisp with a great contrast. Reticle is great up to about 6x, then it just gets "fat". Just to thick for precision work, but should be fine on steel. Super easy to pick up this Reticle at 1x with the illum.

Turrets are nice and crisp, audible. The locking mechanism is nice, but wish it was a bit stiffer to go locked/unlocked. It should be sufficient the way it is though.

Trijicon just about hit this one right on the head. I have a few dislikes like the "fat" Reticle at 8x, and wish the locking mechanism was a bit stiffer, but all in all this is probably one of the nicest LPV I have ever looked through,  and I have been through quite a few. I would consider myself a glass snob and you would have to go up to S&B territory to find something nicer.
ETA: also the scope cover caps suck. It'd a bikini cover kinda setup, and it's similar to something that would come with a BSA scope. So, real scope caps are a must.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61393/20170214-145103-1512x2016-146792.JPG
View Quote

That's a good looking rifle. I really want 2 of these one for one of my 3 gun rifles with a noveske SS barrel and one for my Colt 901. The 18 has a TR24 german crosshair and the 901 has a 3-9 accupower. Having 1-8 instead of 1-4 on my gamer rifle would make those shots out to 3-400 a lot quicker plus I ran a VCOG for a while in competition so I got an idea of how it would be down on 1x. For my 901 I don't quite see it as a precision gun but more of a battle rifle and a 1-8 would definitely fill that role. I don't think Trijicon wanted this to be a precision optic at all but a jack of all trades and something that would compete with other optics. I personally think that it's a competitor to the mk8 when you consider it has some similiar features but its WAY cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Reads as extremely promising
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]
If you are going to get one stick with the red.  It appears nobody is very happy with the green. It is fairly heavy. Almost like they spec'd the build materials to be tungsten, steel, and lead
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#33]
i'm happy with mine with the green illumination
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i'm happy with mine with the green illumination
View Quote

got any pics of the reticle lit up?  

i gotta have one
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you are going to get one stick with the red.  It appears nobody is very happy with the green. It is fairly heavy. Almost like they spec'd the build materials to be tungsten, steel, and lead
View Quote

True 1-8X and 34mm tube requires a lot of glass.  Look at the weight of *any* 1-8.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61393/20170214-145103-1512x2016-146792.JPG
View Quote
Is eye relief good with that mount?  It seems like the scope needs to be a little farther forward.  Maybe I spend too much time shooting NTCH
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

got any pics of the reticle lit up?  

i gotta have one
View Quote
i posted some in the other 1-8 accupower thread here : http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/708139_No-Trijicon-1-8-thread-yet-.html&page=5

the brown truck just dropped off my geissele mount today , hopefully i can get it installed in the mount and get some better reticle pics
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i posted some in the other 1-8 accupower thread here : http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/708139_No-Trijicon-1-8-thread-yet-.html&page=5

the brown truck just dropped off my geissele mount today , hopefully i can get it installed in the mount and get some better reticle pics
View Quote
Which model G mount did you go with?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is eye relief good with that mount?  It seems like the scope needs to be a little farther forward.  Maybe I spend too much time shooting NTCH
View Quote
It was a bit tight, but I ordered the extended as well. The extended is pretty much ideal.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#40]
It's amazing how much difference a .5" can make sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Which model G mount did you go with?
View Quote
the hyper extended 0 moa

i still haven't mounted it yet , hopefully i'll get some free time a little later this evening
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the hyper extended 0 moa

i still haven't mounted it yet , hopefully i'll get some free time a little later this evening
View Quote
Did you grab it from PA while they were on clearance?  I picked up two of the Hyper Extended 20 MOA versions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I emailed Tenabraex about caps. I guess they make the ocular, but not the objective. Part#UAC002-FCR. No plans yet either to make one but maybe in the future. So, looks like Butler Creek for now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes it is a great option 1-8 vs 1-4 on my Steiner. 34 mm tube to increase exit pupil and fov....
View Quote

Just to be clear, a 34 mm tube has no effect on exit pupil size. That is a funation or objective diameter divided by magnification only. A 1 inch, 30mm, and 34mm tube have idental exit pupils when objectives and magnifications are the same.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had one for a couple weeks. No complaints with the red illumination outside sun or clouds.  I would say it's about 2-3 clicks down from my aimpoimt comp c3 on WFO when the Trijicon is turned up to 11.

Size wise it's a lot bigger than my accupoint 1-4 it reminded me a lot size wise to the IOR Valdada 1-10.  As with any 34mm scope they are big.

I shoot nose to charge handle so it needs the extended mounts or a monolithic upper.  Run mine on a LMT MRP and with the ADM extended mount it would still have had to go out on the handguard a notch on a nonmonolithic upper.  Or you could click the stock back a few clicks.

Personally I like my vcog with the horseshoe reticle better but it's $750 more with less magnification.

Never found a perfect scope yet.  Probably never will.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've had one for a couple weeks. No complaints with the red illumination outside sun or clouds.  I would say it's about 2-3 clicks down from my aimpoimt comp c3 on WFO when the Trijicon is turned up to 11.

Size wise it's a lot bigger than my accupoint 1-4 it reminded me a lot size wise to the IOR Valdada 1-10.  As with any 34mm scope they are big.

I shoot nose to charge handle so it needs the extended mounts or a monolithic upper.  Run mine on a LMT MRP and with the ADM extended mount it would still have had to go out on the handguard a notch on a nonmonolithic upper.  Or you could click the stock back a few clicks.

Personally I like my vcog with the horseshoe reticle better but it's $750 more with less magnification.

View Quote

How's the clarity?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Did you grab it from PA while they were on clearance?  I picked up two of the Hyper Extended 20 MOA versions.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20170210-172801-144362.jpg
View Quote
it's my first geissele mount and it's outstanding.   i'm glad i picked up the hyper extended mount because the accupower has a ton of eye relief.  

like Vonbongo said , if you shoot ntch you'll definitely want an extended mount.  i had to move my stock back one notch from where i usually keep it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
it's my first geissele mount and it's outstanding.   i'm glad i picked up the hyper extended mount because the accupower has a ton of eye relief.  

like Vonbongo said , if you shoot ntch you'll definitely want an extended mount.  i had to move my stock back one notch from where i usually keep it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/1iviper/IMG_4432_zpsdjurs07a.jpg
View Quote

That is a sight to behold, original leonidas with a 1-8.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Great looking stick 1iviper!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too

My neighbor who is also a close friend that I shoot with every weekend thinks I'm out of my mind because of the way I go through optics

I've been eyeballing these myself and may end up with one, still unsure yet..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top