BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
call DSG - if they drop the ball call Steiner.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
tried mine out on a bcm standard 11.5 not so accurate barrel in aero extended mount.

First, I wish I would have gotten the more extended mount because I'm used to running a short stock.  Not a huge deal, but not ideal.

Second, the scope adjustments are not good.  Reminds me of old leupolds where the clicks or numbers don't mean anything - you just dial until it is right.  Again, not a huge deal for set and forget.

Third, I can't say enough good things about the illumination brightness.  It is excellent.

Sighted in at 50, then fined tuned at 200.  4x does help at 200 on targets obviously.

I don't have strelok pro, but the basic version that doesn't have my reticle.  I used Superset's reticle moa information and my ballistics to find out my barrel and bullets correlation to the reticle.  
It is:
sight in 200
first mark down 280
second mark down 350
third mark down 425
fourth mark down 500

I confirmed all on a 8x10 plate and they were first round hits out to 500 in dusk/dark conditions.  

This is probably not going to sound right, but I hit a target at a known distance with a bdc crosshair reticle that I purposely shot where the crosshairs should be ranged at.....So What?  
I'll test it some more on some hogs and coyotes at close and long range and report back.  I am determined to test this thing to see if it can outweigh the benefits of a plain old aimpoint.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I changed my mind about sending it back.  I am going to use it and test it more on my ar.  I think I can work off of the best 1x diopter setting when shooting at 4x.  It may not work out on the ar, but it would be useful on a bolt action guide gun where the class of people I deal with do not like to see semi-autos.  I need to get it mounted up right, the taped up bubble wrap on the red rider is pretty good though.
My lowest illumination setting is visible to naked eye.
Setting 7 is aimpoint usable bright in full sun against a white background at 100 yards and 10 yards.
I do not know how others illuminate, but you can see a laser like beam shining down to where the dot is on highest settings in a dark room.  Not an issue at all, but neat and would like to know the mechanics of what is projecting the dot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cons:
I could adjust the diopter for a clear view at 1x or 4x, but it is not the same setting (quarter turn difference)
4x is not all that clear to me.  Not dark, but not sharp (I think acogs are clear)

Conclusion:
I'm sending it back and not even mounting it.
4x was not clear enough for me and having to adjust the diopter when changing magnification was aggravating.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get it working for you.
I adjust my diopters the same way as Leupold suggests. Spin up to max magnification, point at the sky and adjust till clear. Then look away and look again quickly to ensure that it's still clear. Then I spin it back down to 1X to ensure that I like the FOV. If not, I adjust the diopter again, look away and spin back up to max to fine tune.
Technically, it's more important that it's clearer at 4X since you're target focused on 1X anyways.

I changed my mind about sending it back.  I am going to use it and test it more on my ar.  I think I can work off of the best 1x diopter setting when shooting at 4x.  It may not work out on the ar, but it would be useful on a bolt action guide gun where the class of people I deal with do not like to see semi-autos.  I need to get it mounted up right, the taped up bubble wrap on the red rider is pretty good though.
My lowest illumination setting is visible to naked eye.
Setting 7 is aimpoint usable bright in full sun against a white background at 100 yards and 10 yards.
I do not know how others illuminate, but you can see a laser like beam shining down to where the dot is on highest settings in a dark room.  Not an issue at all, but neat and would like to know the mechanics of what is projecting the dot.

This might help. I used this method of adjusting the diopter on my vortex HD JM 1-6x. this is found in the Vortex instruction manual.

" />
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI for you guys who haven't found this yet.  This is a little fucked up because the red dot/center crosshairs should be zeroed at 200 and the holds should extend to 600.

For example:   Here is my real world data with my ammo chronoed, and plugged into strelok with actual temp/pressure/altitude.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FYI for you guys who haven't found this yet.  This is a little fucked up because the red dot/center crosshairs should be zeroed at 200 and the holds should extend to 600.

http://i.imgur.com/7acNzvx.jpg?1

For example:   Here is my real world data with my ammo chronoed, and plugged into strelok with actual temp/pressure/altitude.

http://i.imgur.com/LM9FWtO.png
View Quote

Interesting that they figured in a little more drop in the BDC measurements of the new model.  Seems to be more suited to 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

5x opposed to 4x?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

5x opposed to 4x?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5x opposed to 4x?

I have the T5Xi.  The P4Xi reticle is now in strelok+ as well as strelok pro.

ETA:

This is with Wolf Gold out of my 16" barrel with suppressor.  3090 FPS over a chrono.  With a 200 yard zero.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
When is the video review up?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ETA:

This is with Wolf Gold out of my 16" barrel with suppressor.  3090 FPS over a chrono.  With a 200 yard zero.

http://i.imgur.com/acaFpKP.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5x opposed to 4x?

ETA:

Awesome, thank you. That is close enough for me.

I may have to pick one of these up.

Out of curiosity; what ballistic coefficient are you using for Wolf Gold?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which is the BC for the Hornady 55gr FMJBT.  I haven't pulled a bullet from Wolf Gold to see if it is a boat tail.  I should.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which is the BC for the Hornady 55gr FMJBT.  I haven't pulled a bullet from Wolf Gold to see if it is a boat tail.  I should.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5x opposed to 4x?

ETA:

What is your altitude set to? I am at only 85 feet above sea level at my range IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I confirmed out to 400 yards today as my numbers are a little closer to caw375's.
200, 290, 375, 450 and 525 yards.
Im only pushing 2850fps out of a BCM 14.5" barrel with some Hornady 55gr reloads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Wasp - I know the bdc is for 4x, but does strelok show what they align to at 1x?

This may be a stupid question
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wasp - I know the bdc is for 4x, but does strelok show what they align to at 1x?

This may be a stupid question
View Quote

Not a stupid question at all.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#16]
DSG's description is hilarious .... Someone must have used Google Translator to convert the description from Chinese.

The Steiner 1-4x24mm P4Xi 30mm Tactical Riflescope was designed to be the perfect riflescope for any person requiring an exceptional advancement for their rifle. These Rifle Scopes from the optical experts at Steiner are made making use of the robust and heavy duty components that you have come to anticipate from this amazing organization. Steiner has elevated the rifle scope business for a reasonable length of time, and the Steiner 1-4x24mm P4Xi 30mm Tactical Riflescope is the result of their determined initiatives make sure that you have got a durable and efficient scope on your firearm.
View Quote

Perhaps they are a graduate of the Philadelphia School System.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#17]
So is the consensus on the P4Xi so far to be good to go?  I was about to pull the trigger on a Viper PST 1-4x tomorrow but have slowed down after finding this optic and this thread.  Everything looks really good for the $$$ so far.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Which Aero mount do you recommend , the extended or the SPR?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is your altitude set to? I am at only 85 feet above sea level at my range IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5x opposed to 4x?

ETA:

800 feet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So is the consensus on the P4Xi so far to be good to go?  I was about to pull the trigger on a Viper PST 1-4x tomorrow but have slowed down after finding this optic and this thread.  Everything looks really good for the $$$ so far.
View Quote

PSTs are really nice but nowhere near daylight bright if that's important to you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

PSTs are really nice but nowhere near daylight bright if that's important to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For my use, daylight bright is a nice bonus but otherwise I don't mind using the etched reticle.  My main concern is just build quality as i plan on running it through some carbine courses.  Not submersing it in mud/water and hammering it or anything like that.  But just through a typical carbine course where it will get a little rattled.  Was looking at the ADM recon mount for whichever I go with.  

Thanks for the info.  I may wind up picking this thing up - sounds like either could be a win.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For my use, daylight bright is a nice bonus but otherwise I don't mind using the etched reticle.  My main concern is just build quality as i plan on running it through some carbine courses.  Not submersing it in mud/water and hammering it or anything like that.  But just through a typical carbine course where it will get a little rattled.  Was looking at the ADM recon mount for whichever I go with.  

Thanks for the info.  I may wind up picking this thing up - sounds like either could be a win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a pst, but from what I've read their turrets are good if you want to dial up.  I would not plan on using the p4xi for dialing on the go.
The pst is not supposed to be full daylight bright illumination.  The p4xi is definitely daylight bright and then some.
These are the factors that would determine my choice between the two scopes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't have a pst, but from what I've read their turrets are good if you want to dial up.  I would not plan on using the p4xi for dialing on the go.
The pst is not supposed to be full daylight bright illumination.  The p4xi is definitely daylight bright and then some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  DSG had the Steiner in stock last I checked - may stop by there tomorrow and have a look.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you.  DSG had the Steiner in stock last I checked - may stop by there tomorrow and have a look.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had the PST, and now own the P4Xi and can say that the Steiner is better as far as eyebox forgiveness and daylight brightness.

It does also feel more rugged. I believe their tubes have a little more thickness than the PST.

Vortex does have them beat in the turret department though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't really comment on the PST's ruggedness since I tend to baby my hunting scopes, but it seems to be very well built and is backed by a great warranty.  But personally, if I was buying one of the two for a carbine course, Steiner's reputation for military grade optics would be pretty reassuring, and I think I'd lean that way.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Just when I was about to pull the trigger .  . .this scope comes along.  Now the dilemma for the 308, Steiner PX4i or Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just when I was about to pull the trigger .  . .this scope comes along.  Now the dilemma for the 308, Steiner PX4i or Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP?
View Quote

If you intend to shoot with precision or past 400 yards get the 2.5-10,
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are two very different scopes.

Decide what you want this rifle to do, then settle on a scope.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#29]
For those who got a P4Xi without a throw lever (hopefully at a price closer to $520), Adorama has the throw lever for the cheapest I could find with free shipping

Steiner 5927 - Throw Lever for T5Xi / P4Xi - $64.99
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For those who got a P4Xi without a throw lever (hopefully at a price closer to $520), Adorama has the throw lever for the cheapest I could find with free shipping

View Quote

Just tried to order one today showed in stock C/C charged just recieved the e mail back ordered I will cancel the back order and get one somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just tried to order one today showed in stock C/C charged just recieved the e mail back ordered I will cancel the back order and get one somewhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the last one
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is superset going to come out of retirement, for one more review
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I can't really find much other than a table top style product release review.

Superset, you are being summoned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Optics planet just needs to put him on staff.  He really does some of the best reviews.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#35]
There is finally one on Youtube but it is very brief.

On a side note, has anyone determined what type and size of lens caps they are planning on using yet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On a side note, has anyone determined what type and size of lens caps they are planning on using yet?
View Quote

Personally, I like the Vortex flip caps since they are lightweight, inexpensive and most importantly, sit flat as possible against the scope. For the P4Xi, I used the size 3 and size 5.

BTW, fellas, if you can't find your scope lever, I would give that cheap MGM Eagle Eye Universal a shot.  I used to think they were pretty flimsy but after having mounted mine on my Leupold, it's more than strong enough as long as you tighten it as much as possible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hell, I can't really find much other than a table top style product release review.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He posted a while back its just not sustainable financially given the high production quality he generates.  Not to mention the amount of time travel, filming, editing to get a 3-4 minute video like his - I suspect it's a lot of time.

It's a shame because his reviews set the bar - concise and objective.  They are just not getting the traffic of a guys shooting tanerite and propane tanks

I hope he continues to review optics and share his opinions - even if just in these threads.  Sharp guy and solid contributor to this forum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He posted a while back its just not sustainable financially given the high production quality he generates.  Not to mention the amount of time travel, filming, editing to get a 3-4 minute video like his - it's a lot of time.

It's a shame because his reviews set the bar - concise and objective.  They are just not getting the traffic of a guys shooting tanerite and propane tanks

I hope he continues to review optics and share his opinions - even if just in these threads.  Sharp guy and solid contributor to this forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He posted a while back its just not sustainable financially given the high production quality he generates.  Not to mention the amount of time travel, filming, editing to get a 3-4 minute video like his - it's a lot of time.

You're 100% correct! He can do a 4 minute video and get the point across better than some people who will review something for over an hour.

And if he'd move from California to Texas, all the money saved from not getting bent over in taxes alone would make this feasible. Lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#39]
DSG Arms has these on sale with a throw lever.  So tempting...
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone who's spent a lot of time with the TR24 (1-4 Accupoint) and has a P4Xi - I'd like to know how they compare against each other and which one you favor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#41]
IMO, I would decide on these:

Eyebox - about the same between them
Low light shooting - Steiner since its reticle is battery powered
Weight - Trijicon
Zoom lever/speed - Trijicon
Reticle - Steiner
Warranty - Steiner
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Are the BDC lines able to be used for ranging purposes - Are they shoulder/IPSC target width at those distances?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe someone can break the subtension widths down around this:

The "E" value seems like it would be 19.7 @ 200Yd but I am new enough to magnified optics that the "@ Indicated Distance" eludes me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe someone can break the subtension widths down around this:

http://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/p3tr-subtensions.png

The "E" value seems like it would be 19.7 @ 200Yd but I am new enough to magnified optics that the "@ Indicated Distance" eludes me.
View Quote

Good call.  

- I think an IPSC target width is 18 inches (average male human torso is 17-19 inches apparently)
- .5 meters is 19 inches

So seems like those BDC marks should represent .5m at those distances - so you can range off the target.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

... Plus this:

Free Steiner Rings with any P4Xi purchase at BPS

Those rings look - expensive.

But they don't carry it at the BPS near me and its not listed online
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I held one at Bass Pro Shops on Thursday and was impressed with the glass quality. I would've pulled the trigger right there but have a Vortex PST that has been backordered from LAPolicegear for the past month and can't afford to be stuck with 2 scopes. I tried cancelling the order with them but they are conducting inventory and aren't responding to emails until Monday. If anyone is interested, Bass Pro has a decent deal on optics right now. If you trade in a used optic (the guy at the front of the store didn't even see if it functioned) you can get $100 off any optic over $500. That brings the price of the Steiner down to $479.

... Plus this:

Free Steiner Rings with any P4Xi purchase at BPS

Those rings look - expensive.

But they don't carry it at the BPS near me and its not listed online

Tell m e more about this Bass Pro deal with $100 off for a trade, and free scope rings.
This model is not showing up their site.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#46]
The $100 trade in was a special deal they had going on during their last sale. The free rings offer goes on through 9/30 and is offered directly through Steiner. I haven't seen the scope on their website but it was specifically listed in their last flier and it is in stock at my local store. Shop around and get it for less (someone posted a price of $521). I was able to take advantage of DSG's LEO program.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Curious, Why are folks zeroing at 200?
Is the dot not a 100 yd zero?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Curious, Why are folks zeroing at 200?
Is the dot not a 100 yd zero?
View Quote

No it's designed for 200.

ETA: most 5.56 BDC optics are these days. Even the Accupower BDC reticle which I figured Trijicon would more or less match the BDC on the appropriate ACOG model.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#49]
That's weird as most folks have access to a 100 yd range. I personally like a 100 yd zero with BDC's out to 400-500yds/M. Makes things easy, at least for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I think it's meant to be used more like an Aimpoint + magnifier than a traditional scope.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top