User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
On the subject of battery life:

I received my P4Xi on Tuesday at 12pm. I installed the battery that came with it, and turned the brightness setting to the second to highest day level. I left it on, taking it out of the safe every day since to check.

Today at 12pm it is noticeably dimmer for the first time. Still daylight-visible, but not quite bright enough to use it like an Aimpoint. I don't know if it entered some kind of power conservation mode, but adjusting it up (or down) did not seem to have any effect. I'd say it is operating at a level equal to the brightest "low light" (not "night vision") setting.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that on the second to brightest setting, battery life is a useful 100 hours.

However after experimenting with the various brightness levels outside, it seems like the lowest "day" setting may be enough to use it like an Aimpoint in my area (Northern California). So I'll be leaving it on that setting starting now, and will track how long a fresh battery lasts.

UPDATE seven days later: On the lowest "day setting" the dot has lasted 7 days, but adjusting it up does not add much in the way of brightness. So I'm settling on "1 week" to be on the safe side of "lowest day setting."
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
/snip
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. Really useful info for those of us looking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I received my P4Xi on Tuesday at 12pm. I installed the battery that came with it, and turned the brightness setting to the second to highest day level. I left it on, taking it out of the safe every day since to check.

Today at 12pm it is noticeably dimmer for the first time. Still daylight-visible, but not quite bright enough to use it like an Aimpoint. I don't know if it entered some kind of power conservation mode, but adjusting it up (or down) did not seem to have any effect. I'd say it is operating at a level equal to the brightest "low light" (not "night vision") setting.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that on the second to brightest setting, battery life is a useful 100 hours.

However after experimenting with the various brightness levels outside, it seems like the lowest "day" setting may be enough to use it like an Aimpoint in my area (Northern California). So I'll be leaving it on that setting starting now, and will track how long a fresh battery lasts.
View Quote

Excellent.

If it is in your wheelhouse maybe some additional reticle pics and images of ranged objects (to help add to the reticle breakdown). Thanks again for the battery tests.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's weird as most folks have access to a 100 yd range. I personally like a 100 yd zero with BDC's out to 400-500yds/M. Makes things easy, at least for me.
View Quote

You can get it basically on with the 50 yard zero. This is what I do with my Vortex Razor then take it out to the 300 meter range and make sure I can clang the 12" steel that is always on the end.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you - that is great to know.  Look forward to what else you find.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't wait to see a video review of this scope. I've been considering letting go of my Leupold Mark 6 1-6, I could pick up a few of these at the price they are now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered one from DSG with the included throw lever with the plan of putting this on my 300 Blackout SBR for hunting.  We'll see how that pairing works.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck it, I just ordered one. I need to see what all the hype is about, I had some left over money on a gift card so I got it at a damn good price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck it, I just ordered one. I need to see what all the hype is about, I had some left over money on a gift card so I got it at a damn good price.
View Quote

What are you gonna put it on
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
just thought i would throw this out there but botach (yeah i know) has them on sale for $479.00 so that's $100.00 off normal price. i have never had a problem with botach but i only ordered a couple things from them over the years with no issues.

https://www.botach.com/steiner-p4xi-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-reticle-w-throw-lever/?utm_source=botach.com&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=BotachFlashSale-Steiner5202-9%2F15%2F16
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered one last night from DSG Arms for $458.60 (MIL/LEO price).
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

really, that's not a bad deal.

i will have to tell my buddy because his son is a state patrolman and my buddy wants one bad.

i have their older model military 1-4 version and love it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i will have to tell my buddy because his son is a state patrolman and my buddy wants one bad.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I originally ordered the optic at the $579.00 price as I did not know DSG offered a MIL/LEO discount. Once I discovered that they did, I contacted them asking if they would be willing to apply it retroactively to my order. They were. They did. I'm happy
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
just thought i would throw this out there but botach (yeah i know) has them on sale for $479.00 so that's $100.00 off normal price. i have never had a problem with botach but i only ordered a couple things from them over the years with no issues.

https://www.botach.com/steiner-p4xi-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-reticle-w-throw-lever/?utm_source=botach.com&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=BotachFlashSale-Steiner5202-9%2F15%2F16
View Quote

That's where I bought mine from.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if I'm going to stick it on my Bren SBR or on a 14.5" build. I really bought it just to compare to some other glass that I have, to determine if I want to buy more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May god be with you, fellas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are they really that bad ? are they another optics planet ? i don't buy from optics planet anymore because of issues.  and as i said i only used botach twice and no issues. but i heard they had some issues with the government or the IRS a couple years back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#18]
They've had a lot of owner drama this year with the gun conviction and such. Stupid CA laws.
But.. if we're just talking about the commerce end of it, I think you will receive your stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the throw lever?

Edit: For  $458.60?

Edit2: Thanks brother
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

are they really that bad ? are they another optics planet ? i don't buy from optics planet anymore because of issues.  and as i said i only used botach twice and no issues. but i heard they had some issues with the government or the IRS a couple years back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're starting a new facility in Nevada. I've always gotten my stuff, they're just slow like PSA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

With the throw lever?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the throw lever?

Affirmative.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#22]
So cheap. No brainer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So cheap. No brainer.
View Quote

I concur.

BTW: While I will miss your YouTube posts, I hope you enjoy "retirement."
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I concur.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So cheap. No brainer.

I concur.

Appreciate the note, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]
What mount does everyone suggest? LT-139?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The LT104 should work. With a 4" eye relief you may want the optic further from your eye
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The LT104 should work. With a 4" eye relief you may want the optic further from your eye
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you shoot NTCH?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Do you shoot NTCH?
View Quote

I do not
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I do not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you shoot NTCH?

I do not

Aero SPR or Extended.

Non QD but inexpensive and lightweight (3oz)
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Aero SPR or Extended.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you shoot NTCH?

I do not

Aero SPR or Extended.

If you don't plan on removing it, the Aero is a great choice. Very light and stable.

" />
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#31]
LoveToShoot - Which Aero mount is that in the picture?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#33]

That is correct
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Your blaster looks almost exactly like mine. Same parts and everything. Good choices.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Mine shipped today, I just don't know which gun I'm going to throw it on lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mine shipped today, I just don't know which gun I'm going to throw it on lol.
View Quote

Life is indeed tough lol  Congrats, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be the oddball and say ADM RECON-H

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Ive got mine in a Geissele, great mount.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both and I'll buy Larue over ADM any day, the auto adjusting qd doesn't seem as rugged in my eyes. Only reason I still have the ADM is it only has a Rmr on it, not a lot of weight to jar the mount around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to run the ADM Recon H too as it offered a more heads up view than my current Aero.  You pay for it in weight, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Just picked one up. Very impressed with it so far. Glass is crazy clear and reticle is awesome and super bright. I'll try to do a little review after I get some range time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Battery life update top of pg 9
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Battery life update top of pg 9
View Quote

Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I guess I'm not looking in the rights places, but I'm not seeing any deals on this optic.
Local Basspro has it for $579 + tax and a coupon for a free set of $200 rings (that I will never use).
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#45]

I'm guessing I need the SPR.
I don't shoot NTCH, but it is really close.
I think my stock is two notches from being retracted.
Is it safe to say that whatever mount I get, needs to be extended +?
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I would say you definitely need extended. Look at my pic and you'll see that I run mine almost even to my charging handle. Straight mounts would not work with the way it lines up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the SPR is the model you want.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I have inbound.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#49]
My P4Xi with lever arrived a few days ago.

This is my first 1x-4x on an AR. All my previous AR optics have been red dots or fixed magnification (T1/PROs and ACOG)

I am replacing a 2MOA T1. I wanted a more "general purpose" setup that allowed use like a T1 at close range but also afforded me some additional data on targets at distance.

Here are my initial observations.

Glass is nearly perfect and no dimming or blurring edges. Image is crisp and bright as lighting permits. It is as clear as any Razor or ACOG in my memory. I have not done a side by side with either, though.

Eye box is generous, relief is forgiving but, as expected with a 1-4X you need a decent weld. Once in the eye-box I find the 1X better than my T1 as the scope body essentially disappears and the view is 'larger' than a T1. It registers as true 1x for me with no distortion or ripple while scanning.

Unlike my T1 the fixed FSP (Troy HK style) is more "present" … I am not sure how else to describe it or why it is. It is not unworkable but is more of a distraction than with the T1. I will be adding foldable offsets. The FSP is invisible at 4X … don't even get much of a blur. At 4x you can do 'both eyes open' (Bindon) but takes some practice.

As others have stated the illuminated dot is VERY daylight bright. Easily on par with a Razor. In direct afternoon sun (at front or at back) the top 3 settings are prominent. The highest is not even required. The top setting is even visible against a 'white-out' cloud that is itself difficult to look at because it is so bright.

The stepping on the brightness is interesting, to me, and is divided into 3 sections. I think of them as Night Vision, Low Light, and Day Light. In addition to 'off' setting between eash step the sections are themselves separated by a larger and labeled 'OFF' setting.

This allows the dot to be set to off and is then 1 set away from Low Light or Daylight. The step in brightness here is much greater than within the section

(Will try and add image later but it goes something like this)

--OFF-- 1 off 2 off 3 --OFF-- 4 off 5 off 6 off 7 off 8 --OFF-- 9 off 10 off 11 off 12

The settings are indicated by gradually larger circles, hollow for the Night Vision, solid for Low/Day light.

Switching between setting is tactile and somewhat soft. Different than the T1 but not better or worse. It has more of a rheostat approach and less a 'notch' feel, I guess.

The reticle is otherwise nice and usable in most cases without illumination. It is crisp, logical and uncluttered. I will be doing some specific measuring on the subtention marks as a ranging estimate.

Under the caps the turrets are more clicky but not 'under fire' pronounced. They are much more 'set it and forget it'. At 4x it isn't an ultra-precision optic and it is far more than adequate for zeroing.

The included throw lever (bought the bundled version) is as good as any with ridges on the ring itself and gimping on the lever end. The throw from 1x to 4x is exactly half the circumference of the viewfinder. I am not sure I would ever use anything between 1x and 4x.

Weight on my kitchen scale with lever installed is exactly 17oz.

I have this mounted in an Aero Extended.

After having looked at PA 1-6, Strike Eagles, PST 1-4, Razor 1-6, Vx-6 … I would say the P4Xi checks every box on my initial criteria except the 6x. HOWEVER, after setting it up I am thinking a use of just 1x or 6x is too broad of a range for my purposes. The 1x-4x quick throw is easy to manage visually … it is like going quickly from a T1 to an ACOG and back.

If there are any negatives at this point it would be weight as compared to a T1 or ACOG obviously. But it is comparable to other LPVs I was considering (and much less than some) and is built to last.

I expect to be very happy. At $479 with the lever shipped it was an outstanding purchase. I will be ordering up another shortly.

Adding: Not mine but I agree with the reviewer.

Youtube P4Xi Range report
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Where did you get it for $479 with the throw lever? I'm thinking about getting one instead of a vx6.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top