AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Excellent.

I've been poised to buy this a few times but lack of reviews has kept me on the sideline.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one coming to me this week and will post what I think when I get it.

Excellent.

I've been poised to buy this a few times but lack of reviews has kept me on the sideline.

While I'm looking forward most to SuperSet's comments on this scope, I did find a review here.

Seems promising so far.

Good evening folks,

Since there seems to be little first hand reviews of the new steiner p4xi 1-4x scope, I wanted to share my initial thoughts.  Please note that my "good glass" experience so far has been limited to various offerings from trijicon, vortex, leupold, and an old nightforce.  I say that in hopes of you understanding my perspective.  Without further ado, I'll lay out my thoughts in a simple pros/cons list:

PRO's

* Glass. - The glass is extremely clear! If I had to compare it to another I'd say it's on par with the trijicon 1-4x, but not quite as nice as the razor ii 1-6 (yet better than the viper pst 1-4x).  I'm a big trijicon fan, and my goto scope is the acog TA31F...though this $579 offering from steiner is really growing on me.  

* Illumination - A single red dot on the reticle is all that lights up, though I can confirm that it is daylight bright.  Even in the bright South Carolina sun the dot on max setting was easy to pick up and reminded me a lot of an Aimpoint.  Another nice feature is the "off" setting between the brightness levels and how ridiculously low the level can get.  The manual states the last two levels are for NV use, and it is probably true because they were not visible with the naked eye when I tested it in a pure dark room (though didn't wait for my eyes to fully adapt).  I plan on using it for hogs this season.

* Reticle - Simple, uncluttered, and yet has holdovers.  Though that being said I currently have no idea what the holdover marks correlate to as it's not stated in the manual (a range trip this next week should answer those questions for me).  The reticle is sharp and black and easy to pick up near twilight even without the illumination.

* True 1x! - Yes, when set at 1x I can keep both eyes open and transition perfectly from at the ready to firing position.  Unlike a few other scopes I've either bought or played with at Cabela's, there is no fish-ey effect or other such nonsense.  I'll give it a few months playing with it at the range, but my initial thoughts are (combined with it's daylight bright dot) that I'll never mess with a red-dot type scope again.

*  Eye relief - Pretty decent in actual use.  Other thing to note is it has a generous eyebox (?).  I believe that's what it's called...I find it's very easy to get behind the scope.

Cons

* Controls - The windage/elevation, and the illumination dial are best described as "mushy".  It doesn't have the super positive clicks like the vortex or nightforce, though on a scope like this I'm not sure if that matters much. Like with my trijicons, I'm more of a set it and forget it type. The dials are finger adjustable under the dust caps.  So, once dialed in I may never touch them again.  However the illumination dial will get use, and after playing with it for a week I still would prefer more definitive clicks on rotation as I find myself either visually confirming the dial position or looking through the scope to make sure it's off.

* Weight - at @ 17oz it's not a porker, but would have been nice to be a bit lighter, like some of leupolds offerings.  Then again, if it's as robust as Steiner claims I could overlook this.  On that note, the razor ii 1-6x is my second favorite scope, but darn if it isn't heavy.

Other thoughts

* Briefly playing with it outside at night showed decent low light capability.  
* Reliability is unknown at this point, but at least steiner does offer a lifetime warranty.
* Scope is currently mounted on a 14.5" Huldra arms gas-piston lightweight upper in a burris apper quick detach mount.  So far so good as far as repeatability and durability.

Well, there you have it.  I would love for someone more experienced to do a proper review, but for now this'll have to do.  If any of my opinions change in the coming weeks/months I'll come back and update this. Also, if there are any questions you might have or things I failed to cover please ask.

Thanks for reading,
Match

--

Thanks folks for the kind welcome!

I got to put another 300 rounds downrange using the scope, and I'm still happy (other than that mushy illum. dial). I've only played with a few aimpoints, but find it neat that I can use this in a similar manner.  Also, I used it (unsuccessfully) deer hunting a few days ago.  Not the scopes fault, just 92F, muggy, and nothing moving... However, I did see 3 red headed woodpeckers and one aggravating squirrel in marvelous detail!

-Match

Re: this part, found this on Steiner website.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The funny thing about that graphic is that it provides everything you want to know except the distance between drops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
PS. I found the info in their reticle doc on Page 6:
http://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/generated/Reticle%20Guide%20brochure%206-23.16.pdf

P3TR
RANGE Elevation
(yd) MOA
200 0.00
300 2.625
400 5.75
500 9.5
600 13.75
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.steiner-optics.com/sites/default/files/generated/Reticle%20Guide%20brochure%206-23.16.pdf

P3TR
RANGE Elevation
(yd) MOA
200 0.00
300 2.625
400 5.75
500 9.5
600 13.75
View Quote

Nice find.

Any idea when yours arrives?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully today or tomorrow. So, will let you know!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
old school tagscribe

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm at the edge of the pool for my first magnified optic. I've got a larue spr-e vfz en route and a cart loaded with a p4xi.

Should I do it ....
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm at the edge of the pool for my first magnified optic. I've got a larue spr-e vfz en route and a cart loaded with a p4xi.

Should I do it ....
View Quote

YES
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

YES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I do it ....

YES

Ok

I bought it for $521 shipped.  It will take a few business days to process so if SuperSet gives it a "meh" reception I will cancel and save for a used Burris XTRII 1-5 or TR24G.

I'm willing to roll the dice given Steiner has a good reputation and a good warranty ... and the vendor has a generous return policy.

I think I will like this scope if it works as advertised:
- I'm not looking for precision but quick/effective shooting from 0-300+.  I shoot M193 55gr out of 14.5 barrels - I don't shoot clover groups.  All that to say I wouldn't really utilize 6/8x magnification anyways.
- Daylight bright for Red Dot use at 1x
- Rugged / waterproof (it's actually submersible) ... but without being over 20 oz (P4xi is 17 oz)
- Good glass / etched reticle (I have a slight astigmatism - while I can use aim points, they are smeary to me).

I'm primarily an Aimpoint shooter but have wanted some magnification for a while, mainly for etched reticle and option to get some more clarity at distances.  This is my first magnified optic so not sure how to evaluate some of the other factors like eye box, distortion that some of the more refined shooters would notice.

We will see if it lives up to its billing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine finally came in so here are some quick first impressions.

1. The scope body feels sturdy and high quality.
2. Zoom lever is stiff and throw from 1-4x is long-ish so definitely use a scope lever.
3. The glass is very good and is at least equivalent to Trijicon TR24 1-4x.  Eyebox is also very good at 1X as well so easy to shoot at 1X.
4. The red dot illumination is very bright and is on par with the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x.  They actually look quite similar in shape and color.
5. All the knobs are okay and pretty squishy.  They all feel plastick-y so I would not depend on dialing in your elevation. Good thing this sucker has capped turrets!
6. This includes the illumination knob which has an off position in between. Since the clicks are squishy, I am afraid that it will easily click on if it's moving around in my range bag.  

I'll post some pictures once I have it mounted but so far, an excellent value for its price / features.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mine finally came in so here are some quick first impressions.

1. The scope body feels sturdy and high quality.
2. Zoom lever is stiff and throw from 1-4x is long-ish so definitely use a scope lever.
3. The glass is very good and is at least equivalent to Trijicon TR24 1-4x.  Eyebox is also very good at 1X as well so easy to shoot at 1X.
4. The red dot illumination is very bright and is on par with the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x.  They actually look quite similar in shape and color.
5. All the knobs are okay and pretty squishy.  They all feel plastick-y so I would not depend on dialing in your elevation. Good thing this sucker has capped turrets!
6. This includes the illumination knob which has an off position in between. Since the clicks are squishy, I am afraid that it will easily click on if it's moving around in my range bag.  

I'll post some pictures once I have it mounted but so far, an excellent value for its price / features.
View Quote

Seems consistent with the guy on optics talk with the major complaint being the soft adjustments.  Perhaps it's something Steiner can remedy in the future?  

I know you just got it but based on your initial impression how would you rate this vs the XTR II 1-5 - which seems like its closest daylight bright competitor?  The XTR II seems to be $150-200 more than the P4Xi
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the P4Xi reticle more since it's simpler with a very bright dot. When you're looking through it, it's very similar to a 1-4x version of the Vortex Razor 1-6x.
So far, I would lean to the Steiner since it's lighter than the Burris and it has covered turrets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a few pics at dusk:

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I held one at Bass Pro Shops on Thursday and was impressed with the glass quality. I would've pulled the trigger right there but have a Vortex PST that has been backordered from LAPolicegear for the past month and can't afford to be stuck with 2 scopes. I tried cancelling the order with them but they are conducting inventory and aren't responding to emails until Monday. If anyone is interested, Bass Pro has a decent deal on optics right now. If you trade in a used optic (the guy at the front of the store didn't even see if it functioned) you can get $100 off any optic over $500. That brings the price of the Steiner down to $479.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in for 2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Those pics look beautiful.  You're right - that reticle is clean.  

Is the illumination knob numbered?  Doesn't look like it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I held one at Bass Pro Shops on Thursday and was impressed with the glass quality. I would've pulled the trigger right there but have a Vortex PST that has been backordered from LAPolicegear for the past month and can't afford to be stuck with 2 scopes. I tried cancelling the order with them but they are conducting inventory and aren't responding to emails until Monday. If anyone is interested, Bass Pro has a decent deal on optics right now. If you trade in a used optic (the guy at the front of the store didn't even see if it functioned) you can get $100 off any optic over $500. That brings the price of the Steiner down to $479.
View Quote

... Plus this:

Free Steiner Rings with any P4Xi purchase at BPS

Those rings look - expensive.

But they don't carry it at the BPS near me and its not listed online
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is the illumination knob numbered?  Doesn't look like it.
View Quote

No, they are just circles of increasing size to note illumination level.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Any flip or bikini covers come with the scope?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any flip or bikini covers come with the scope?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

$199.

Does anyone know if Bass Pro includes the throw lever as well? If so that would be a heck of a deal.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

$199.

Does anyone know if Bass Pro includes the throw lever as well? If so that would be a heck of a deal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$199.

I'm not sure but:
- Part Number: 5201 scope
- Part Number: 5202 scope + throw lever

Steiner Throw Lever - Part Number: 5927 ($75 @ Optics Planet)
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

P3TR
RANGE Elevation
(yd) MOA
200 0.00
300 2.625
400 5.75
500 9.5
600 13.75
View Quote

Scope newbie question but this doesn't make sense to me.  The graph at link seems to indicate a 100 yard zero with the first hash at 200... but this range elevation text indicates a 200 yard zero?

What zero are you guys using and how would it align to the hash marks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Scope newbie question but this doesn't make sense to me.  The graph at link seems to indicate a 100 yard zero with the first hash at 200... but this range elevation text indicates a 200 yard zero?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P3TR
RANGE Elevation
(yd) MOA
200 0.00
300 2.625
400 5.75
500 9.5
600 13.75

Using my ballistic calculator with a 50 yard zero, 55 gr Wolf Gold 16" barrel it seems to line up well until about 500 yards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I plan to zero at 200 yards. I got a quick 50 yard zero today and I tested it out to 300 yards and it was on.
Btw I think I found  small defect with the diopter.  I noticed that if you turned it all the way to one end, I can see some type of artifact in the scope. If I get a look at another scope I'll try the same thing to see if it's just a one of.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you SuperSet72, your info has been some of the best I've seen for shooters.

Where does it fall in with your reviews of the other 1x scopes?

My interests are 1x usability
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
It is very easy to shoot at 1X as its eyebox is good and FOV is large. It's not as large as something like the Vortex Razor 1-6x but still really good.
So far, everyone who's looked at it has been impressed with its reticle, glass and illumination.  I'm going to lend it to someone tomorrow for a match and get their thoughts afterwards.
At this point, I would recommend this scope over anything in its price range including the slighty cheaper Vortex Strike Eagle / Primary Arms 1-6x.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess the question is this.  Does the 1-4 still have a place in the 3 gun or tactical rifle world?  With so many 1-6 scopes out there is the 1-4 a 20th century tool?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I guess the question is this.  Does the 1-4 still have a place in the 3 gun or tactical rifle world?  With so many 1-6 scopes out there is the 1-4 a 20th century tool?
View Quote

It's a 1X (Aimpoint, MRO) you can also use at 4X (ACOG, Elcan) ... you get both, so I'd say Yes.

I'm willing to trade size, weight, price for 4x instead of 6x too.  

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering LPV's didn't really gain popularity until the 21st Century, I'd say no.

1-4X's are still viable in 3-Gun, especially if you're not running stages out beyond 300-ish meters.

For a practical rifle, absolutely.  300 meters is a pretty long shot in the real world.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Marines and Soldiers make shots out to 500 meters with 4x Acogs, so I'd say it's very relevant in the tactical gun world. As far as 3 gun gaming goes I have no experience so have nothing helpful to add.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

My guess is that when someone releases a $500 1-6x with excellent glass and daylight bright illumination centered on a useful reticle that weighs less than 17oz, the 1-4s will go away.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Just FYI.. The reticle is now available in Strelok Pro.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just FYI.. The reticle is now available in Strelok Pro.
View Quote

Interesting, I don't see it in my app. I wonder if there is a way to force it to update. I bet the holdovers would be consistent with the t5xi 5.56 optic too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I sent him the subtensions so he only updated the Android version. It's listed as Steiner P3TR and he only updated it this morning.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sent him the subtensions so he only updated the Android version. It's listed as Steiner P3TR and he only updated it this morning.
View Quote

I am on android. I'll check again in a few hours I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Re: Strelock

He also added the 5.56 and 7.62 reticle so far the TXi line.  The reticle is different for the military line, but the sub tens are similar.

Cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Re: Strelock

He also added the 5.56 and 7.62 reticle so far the TXi line.  The reticle is different for the military line, but the sub tens are similar.

Cool.
View Quote

WTF mine must not be updating I only have the 7.62 TXi reticle. I'll reinstall the app,

ETA: Shit that was stupid lost all of my data for my rifles. Should have thought about that one. I have the reticles now though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My guess is that when someone releases a $500 1-6x with excellent glass and daylight bright illumination centered on a useful reticle that weighs less than 17oz, the 1-4s will go away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the only reason I still use 1-4 scopes, the only light weight 1-6 I've considered is over $1000. I may sell my Vortex viper 1-4 for the Steiner if I can find one to look through. I think the 1-4 scopes will still sell, I will continue to use one on my 300 blk sbr.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#41]

I have one of these coming from euro optic myself, and as long as it's not backordered or anything it should be here sometime this week.

Super I got a quick question?

What model throw lever is that?

I'm going to want to purchase one of those as soon as I try out this Steiner.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Marines and Soldiers make shots out to 500 meters with 4x Acogs, so I'd say it's very relevant in the tactical gun world. As far as 3 gun gaming goes I have no experience so have nothing helpful to add.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the size of the target.  For hitting a person at that distance 4x is enough.  It's like using a 1x at 125 yards.  Very doable.

OTOH, I shot a 3 gun match today where they set up two target slits inside a steel target the size of an IPSC paper target, one about 4 inch circle in the center of the A zone, and one that was about a 4 inch by 1 inch slit in the head portion.  I used a 1-6x scope, and was glad I could crank it out to 6x.  Not saying that I couldn't hit it using 4x, but 6x made it much easier and faster.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View Quote

It came with it so I'm guessing it's Steiner's?  You only receive it with the scope if you order Item #5202.

If you want the throw lever separately, I THINK it's this one #5927:

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/steiner-throw-lever-for-t5xi-p-series-riflescopes.html?_iv_code=ST-RA-5927&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KEQjwouW9BRCN0ozIifTI6_cBEiQAD9gNsb2HfTb0VP0gNWXgIA-RH8IkdM8qbql-cde2Zl4bgnQaAlCO8P8HAQ

BTW, my buddy shot the scope today against 56 other shooters. He won the match. The match included some very fast and short stages where 1X shootability is very important and the scope worked 'super good'.  Max distance was 300 yards today so 4X was plenty for that.
In fact, I have another buddy that, after playing with the Steiner today, has decided to give up some magnification with his Strike Eagle 1-6x and move to the Steiner.
I predict that you're going to see a lot more of these within action shooting circles very soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It came with it so I'm guessing it's Steiner's?  You only receive it with the scope if you order Item #5202.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/steiner-throw-lever-for-t5xi-p-series-riflescopes.html?_iv_code=ST-RA-5927&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KEQjwouW9BRCN0ozIifTI6_cBEiQAD9gNsb2HfTb0VP0gNWXgIA-RH8IkdM8qbql-cde2Zl4bgnQaAlCO8P8HAQ

BTW, my buddy shot the scope today against 56 other shooters. He won the match. The match included some very fast and short stages where 1X shootability is very important and the scope worked 'super good'.  Max distance was 300 yards today so 4X was plenty for that.
In fact, I have another buddy that, after playing with the Steiner today, has decided to give up some magnification with his Strike Eagle 1-6x and move to the Steiner.
I predict that you're going to see a lot more of these within action shooting circles very soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

Thanks Super!

Looks like I ordered the one without the throw lever, so thanks for that link!

Thanks for the review, definitely encouraging.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#45]
How does it compare to the slightly higher priced scopes like the  Meopta Kdot and Trijicon TR24?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How does it compare to the slightly higher priced scopes like the  Meopta Kdot and Trijicon TR24?
View Quote

It has a more useful reticle than the TR24, although it's slightly heavier.

The glass is really good but not quite as good as the Meopta. I prefer the Steiner's thinner reticle, although the Meopta's illuminated hash marks can be useful for holdovers with targets in shadow. I'm not sure the Meopta is worth the price difference for a 1-4x though.

PSA - My throw lever slipped off during the match and it looks like I had it mounted too far forward around the knurled section. This is the correct way to mount the throw lever.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#47]
This Steiner optic looks very nice.  I wish there was a way to torture test these things...or at least those willing to do so
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This Steiner optic looks very nice.  I wish there was a way to torture test these things...or at least those willing to do so
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It seems Steiner has a good reputation for high end optics and has a great warranty.  Trijicon has been much more inconsistent in their warranty.

Steiner Heritage™ Warranty – For the Life of the Product

For the lifetime of the product, we will repair or replace the product at no charge to you. The Steiner Heritage Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

No warranty card needed.
No receipt required
Warranty is fully transferable to future owners of the product.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Steiner has an excellent reputation and history of designing tough and formidable optics for the military and many more. They are one of those brands I believe I can trust without having to beat the craps out of. Although this optic probably wasn't made for heavy abuse it can probably take normal punishment. I believe I read somewhere it was designed for the LE market.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I pulled the trigger on this one this morning. I was going to do the optic trade in at Bass Pro and get the free rings but when I started looking at my gun it appeared I would need an offset mount anyways. I ordered it through DSGArms and with their LEO program, I ended up getting the 5202 with the throw lever for an even better price.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top