Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good question and I don't remember cant find it in my order history...I will shoot my guy at Vortex an email if he's in today should have you a
reply back pretty quickly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you go with the 2" or 3" offset mount?

QD is preferable, but not for triple the price. Think I'll just go with the fixed mount version.

Good question and I don't remember cant find it in my order history...I will shoot my guy at Vortex an email if he's in today should have you a

Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Much appreciated!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you go with the 2" or 3" offset mount?

QD is preferable, but not for triple the price. Think I'll just go with the fixed mount version.

Much appreciated!

My bud at Vortex is on vacation but he wrote back he's a good guy.

2" offset is better in my opinion and probably more common unless you shoot nose to charging handle. Then some guys want that extra bump forward because their head is in so tight to the rail.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with this... in the QD flavor

http://www.gggaz.com/flt-scope-mount.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Forgot to order a mount! What mount is everyone buying for their Strike Eagle? Link?
View Quote

Here is a copy of another post I had for someone asking the same thing and about LaRue's. Slighly edited and added to.

I shoot NTCH and for that type of style, I recommend something with around a 3" offset.  My preferred mount is the extended Bobro mount.  I have 2 of these for my Razor HD 1-6, and IMO these are the best mounts.  Vortex is also selling these now.  I got mine before they started selling them though.

I switched from another brand, and the Bobro IMO is the best mount because I like the BLAC lever system better which requires no manual adjustment to lock it to the rail.  I like the lever system (with the safety) better.  I also like the that the ring mount bolts are horizontal and not vertical.  FTR I have the newer version with the ring bolts on top not on bottom.  The mount is rock solid and the quality is awesome.  Have not removed it and checked the RTZ, but will add, if I did, I would make sure to verify before shooting in a match.  I have heard the the RTZ is excellent though.

Bobro QD extended mount

I went with the Vortex cantilever mount w 3" offset for my Strike Eagle, and its perfect.  Its mounted on my 22LR AR.  Here's a pic from Vortex's website.  I will get you a pic of my set up in another post.  I wanted the Bobro, but at this time figured I could buy $100 + of 22LR ammo to practice with vs spending the extra money on the Bobro.  I might swap it out when I find a good deal on a used Bobro.

Vortex cantilever mount 3"

Getting the 3" offset IMO gives you more versatility in mounting it a little further on the rail, and not having to worry about bridging between the upper and the rail.

Heres a Larue pic that shows their different mounts.

If you dont shoot NTCH then I would recommend something with 2" offset

Here are pics/links of the Vortex mounts with 2" offset

Vortex cantilever mount 2"

Vortex/Bobro QD mount 2"
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are 2 quick pics of 2 of my rifles.  Top rifle has the Strike Eagle in a Vortex 3" cantilever mount and bottom rifle has a Razor HD gen II in a Bobro extended mount

Closeup view of the rifle with the Strike Eagle

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Aero, Vortex, RRA, Burris, and a few others make inexpensive fixed mounts.

If you want QD, LaRue, ADM, or Bobro.

And if you shoot nose to charging handle, you want the extended mount (LT139, Recon-X, etc etc)
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Updated pics that don't suck in the other thread.  Likewise it sustained a good fall, enough to dent the tube, yet it tracks fine and still holds zero.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
out of curiosity what are the benefits of this type of optic vs say a reddot/magnifier combo?  i have a primary arms red dot/3xmagnifier and while its an amazing setup im still left wanting a scope like this......

pros vs cons please?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
out of curiosity what are the benefits of this type of optic vs say a reddot/magnifier combo?  i have a primary arms red dot/3xmagnifier and while its an amazing setup im still left wanting a scope like this......

pros vs cons please?
View Quote

I have both and prefer a 1-4x/6x scope for most shooting, hunting and 3 gun. For HD, I prefer the Eotech without a magnifier.

Vortex Strike Eagle: better eye relief, more magnification, more precise shooting, still has reticle without power. Con: none so far

Eotech and magnifier: Without magnifier it has a better sight window. Con: fuzzy reticle and must have power

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Everything he ^ said.

I used to have an eotech on my gun, used it for coyote hunting but found myself limited on further shot.

Swapped to the variables and I get the up close benefits of 1x, but have the extra magnification to see a dog hung up in some brush a ways away.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
After trying both....the RDS w/mag may be the heaviest 1-3 power scope around.

If you want 3x with rds capabilty due to BAC get a ta33.

If you want super light weight with good capabilites from zero close  out to 2-300 stick with just the red dot.

If you want the ability to have multiple powers, the weight difference between a good 1-4/6 and a rds/mag combo is negligable, with the variable doing the job better.
Get the variable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The red dot magnifiers are not worth the added weight and cost to me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I emailed Strelok and the Vortex Strike Eagle AR-BDC reticle is now in the paid app.

I emailed him last week and he added it today. Great app with great support.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you found it in the app?  I have strelok pro, updated it today but no ar-bdc
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have you found it in the app?  I have strelok pro, updated it today but no ar-bdc
View Quote

yep, It's there on mine. Named: AR-BDC, Vortex.

I used it for drop at a match this morning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I missed the midway notification on these. Does anyone know if they're actually in stock somewhere right now?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I missed the midway notification on these. Does anyone know if they're actually in stock somewhere right now?
View Quote

It`s on backorder @ Midway until November  according to the web page.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I know, but last week they were in stock. Seems like a few orders here and there are being filled...
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I do have one negative for this scope after using it for a couple weeks. I hate that the magnification ring direction is opposite that of all my other scopes including a Vortex Gen II 4.5-27x scope.
It's just counter intuitive for me to rotate the opposite way for magnification changes. Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I do have one negative for this scope after using it for a couple weeks. I hate that the magnification ring direction is opposite that of all my other scopes including a Vortex Gen II 4.5-27x scope.
It's just counter intuitive for me to rotate the opposite way for magnification changes. Anyone else notice this?
View Quote

Yea I noticed it was opposite too, however it hasn't really affected me all that much.  I just twist it whichever direction it goes, I usually just use it on 1 or 6...
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry bud I knew once I got that in stock notice I had to jump on it so I did.   Got mine mounted in an Aero Precision mount

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Ordered (backordered) the Vortex SE from Optic's Planet last Friday, using a 10% coupon from JesseTischauser.
Have tracking info and scheduled delivery this Monday.
Thanks Jesse!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine listed now on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ordered (backordered) the Vortex SE from Optic's Planet last Friday, using a 10% coupon from JesseTischauser.
Thanks Jesse!
View Quote

Well that's not cool. Ive been back ordered with them since June. Last week they assured me they ship orders first in first out.  I keep getting bogus dates for when I can expect it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Everyone still enjoying their SE?  I ordered one today and it is scheduled for delivery Saturday.  I also ordered my PSA upper today, but who knows when that will actually show up...
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Everyone still enjoying their SE?  I ordered one today and it is scheduled for delivery Saturday.  I also ordered my PSA upper today, but who knows when that will actually show up...
View Quote

Still functioning and performing as good as it did when I got it on day 1.  I'm pretty sure mine was one of the first runs.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It appears Optics Planet canceled my backorder.

Time to buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered my Strike Eagle from KENZIE'S OPTICS

$329 + FREE SHIPPING

Just waiting for the tracking number....

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Just a heads up a shop local to me had about 15 of them Yesterday.     Strike Eagles
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been eyeballing the Strike Eagle since it was announced. I have also looked at the Viper PST 1-4x24 (capped). This will be going on an AR10. I'm not looking to do long distance shooting; 300 yards max hog/deer hunting. I can get the Strike Eagle for about $140 OTD (awesome connection), so I know I can get the Viper for a wicked discount as well. I like the extra magnification with the SE. Is the higher price for the VPST worth it?

I'm leaning towards the SE...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The 6X magnification versus 4X on targets past 200 is why I would choose the SE over the PST.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been eyeballing the Strike Eagle since it was announced. I have also looked at the Viper PST 1-4x24 (capped). This will be going on an AR10. I'm not looking to do long distance shooting; 300 yards max hog/deer hunting. I can get the Strike Eagle for about $140 OTD (awesome connection), so I know I can get the Viper for a wicked discount as well. I like the extra magnification with the SE. Is the higher price for the VPST worth it?

The 6X magnification versus 4X on targets past 200 is why I would choose the SE over the PST.

That's what I was thinking. I just figured someone would have some input on the different price points and the features, build, reticle, etc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#38]
How's the battery life on the SE?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The PST has never even been on my radar.  When looking for an inexpensive 1-4x scope the Burris Tac30 cost the least and did the most IMHO.  I own 4-5 of them.  Once the SE is readily available I'll replace the Tac30's with SE's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. I just figured someone would have some input on the different price points and the features, build, reticle, etc.

The PST has never even been on my radar.  When looking for an inexpensive 1-4x scope the Burris Tac30 cost the least and did the most IMHO.  I own 4-5 of them.  Once the SE is readily available I'll replace the Tac30's with SE's.

Thank you for the input.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Taken from Vortex's website (FAQ's):

You can expect 125 hours on max intensity, and increasing battery life as you decrease the intensity.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#41]
You mentioned for hunting.  I have noticed that with my viper HS 2.5-10.. I'm able to use it at 5 power long after I can no longer use my strike eagle.  The 6x plus the small objective doesn't do low light well.  I would go with the 1-4 for primarily hunting out to 300.  The clarity at low light will be better than a slight boost in magnification in midday.

I had the Burris mtac on my AR and switched to teh SE for the extra magnification. I noticed in the last 30-45 min. of shooting light I'm having to turn down to 3-4x anyway b/c the 6x looks foggy and can't show a good clear image in low light.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Vortex STRIKE Eagle back in stock Primary Arms
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally finished my build.  I absolutely love the Vortex Strike Eagle!  I'm coming from a Vortex Strike Fire II 4 MOA red dot on a Mossberg MMR.  The accuracy and range enhancement of the Strike Eagle are much better over the Red Dot.  

I used the Aero Precision Extended 30MM mounts.  Very light weight.  Solid mount.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They maybe getting a big order and yours will ship Monday too.  If not you're not getting yours after someone that just ordered.  I have asked about their inventory and it is "real time" but there is lag with high volume/high demand items such as this.  A week or so ago they showed the StrikeEagle in-stock for about a day.  A few guys got excited cause they ordered that day thinking they were going to get one but once some of the back orders were filled with the new shipment they went back to a back order status and the guys that recently ordered went to the back of the line.

Just guessing but the I would bet that Snerticus doesn't get one shipped on Monday.  He will probably get the dreaded call/email saying sorry for the back order.  I don't work at OP I am just sponsored by them.  So I am not intimately familiar with their shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Jesse!

Well that's not cool. Ive been back ordered with them since June. Last week they assured me they ship orders first in first out.  I keep getting bogus dates for when I can expect it.

They maybe getting a big order and yours will ship Monday too.  If not you're not getting yours after someone that just ordered.  I have asked about their inventory and it is "real time" but there is lag with high volume/high demand items such as this.  A week or so ago they showed the StrikeEagle in-stock for about a day.  A few guys got excited cause they ordered that day thinking they were going to get one but once some of the back orders were filled with the new shipment they went back to a back order status and the guys that recently ordered went to the back of the line.

Just guessing but the I would bet that Snerticus doesn't get one shipped on Monday.  He will probably get the dreaded call/email saying sorry for the back order.  I don't work at OP I am just sponsored by them.  So I am not intimately familiar with their shipping.

Forgot about this thread.  Sorry.
My scope was delivered 08/24/2015 from an order placed 08/19/2015.  OticsPlanet shipped almost immediately.  
I like it much better than the PA 6X ACSS scope it replaced.
The Vortex has a noticeably sharper image and much better turrets.  Mine is mounted on my 18" Frankinbuild.
Rainier barrel and an Aero upper.  Colt bcg.  A1 stock on a Colt 6920 lower.
The Vortex Strike Eagle is a scope well worth $300.00.  Best rifle add-on purchase this year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone compared this to a primary arms 1-6x? The reticle looks fairly similar, and price is pretty close.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Has anyone compared this to a primary arms 1-6x? The reticle looks fairly similar, and price is pretty close.
View Quote

I'm also interested in a comparison.  I realize everyone's eye are different and different sample scopes may yield different results, but I'd just like to hear how folks who have used both scopes feel about the quality, reticles, and general features of the two scopes.

The scopes are so similar in may come down to just personal preferences.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Okay, so me and my son managed to break away for a couple hours to zero his 22LR and I brought along the Strike Eagle.  We spent the majority of the time getting him sighted in and letting him punch holes in paper a little bit.  By the time I got around to zeroing the Strike Eagle the thunder clouds were rolling in.  I sighted in at 50 yds and wanted to stretch it out to at least 200 yds to gauge where the 200 yd hash mark got me with a .308 load.  Was shooting off the bench using a sandbag rest.  Light wind, est. under 5mph.  Temperature was in the mid-80s. I only fired four rounds before I packed it in.  The point of impact for the first shot was 4" to the right of center.  I was using the tip of the stadia on the BDC.  Made one windage adjustment that got me pretty much dead center and called it good.  I'll let others who have more time on their hands to conduct box tests and such, but so far I'm satisfied with the result.

Ruger GSR .308 at 50 yd using Buffalo Bore Sniper 175gr SMK

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/4796/Piysuc.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/5471/EndekC.jpg

I have to apologize for the out of focus reticle in these pics.  Was using my smartphone camera and the focus was on the backdrop rather than the reticle.  However, should give you a good idea what to expect with regards to glass quality.  Reticle illumination was set at 11.  

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/2649/jTD8KK.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3003/LCXXSC.jpg
View Quote

That is a gorgeous setup... I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm also interested in a comparison.  I realize everyone's eye are different and different sample scopes may yield different results, but I'd just like to hear how folks who have used both scopes feel about the quality, reticles, and general features of the two scopes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they're made in the same factory in China with the same glass.  Vortex's warranty, though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, so me and my son managed to break away for a couple hours to zero his 22LR and I brought along the Strike Eagle.  We spent the majority of the time getting him sighted in and letting him punch holes in paper a little bit.  By the time I got around to zeroing the Strike Eagle the thunder clouds were rolling in.  I sighted in at 50 yds and wanted to stretch it out to at least 200 yds to gauge where the 200 yd hash mark got me with a .308 load.  Was shooting off the bench using a sandbag rest.  Light wind, est. under 5mph.  Temperature was in the mid-80s. I only fired four rounds before I packed it in.  The point of impact for the first shot was 4" to the right of center.  I was using the tip of the stadia on the BDC.  Made one windage adjustment that got me pretty much dead center and called it good.  I'll let others who have more time on their hands to conduct box tests and such, but so far I'm satisfied with the result.

Ruger GSR .308 at 50 yd using Buffalo Bore Sniper 175gr SMK

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/4796/Piysuc.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/5471/EndekC.jpg

I have to apologize for the out of focus reticle in these pics.  Was using my smartphone camera and the focus was on the backdrop rather than the reticle.  However, should give you a good idea what to expect with regards to glass quality.  Reticle illumination was set at 11.  

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/2649/jTD8KK.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3003/LCXXSC.jpg

Hey thanks, man.  The rifle and scope are both gone.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd like to build something similar to that one day.

Just ordered my Strike Eagle, should be here tomorrow. It'll be going on this:

Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top