BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/11/2012 10:53:26 AM EDT
Just gathering thoughts about the M21. I really want to get away from battery operated optics in this environment.

I know about the washout problems and a couple of other things in the past models, but the newer ones are supposed to have addressed that.

I want the triangle reticle. The tip for accuracy, but the whole thing for CQB and speed. It's supposedly 13 MOA wide now, was 12 or 12.5. Either way, 12-13 MOA is the average width of a torso at about 250 meters, and half the reticle would be 500 meters, so it works well for a rangefinder as well, sort of like the old practice of using the M14 front sight for that purpose.

If you have used one, let me know your experiences. I would really like to hear from folks who've used the old ones and the new ones.

I'm only asking about the M21. Not interested in any other sights, as this is in my price range ( eventually with plans to sell the optics I have).

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bullseye M21. Excellent quick day time shooting. Burns bright at night. Inside the house in the low light, not so good. Washes out through windows. Sometimes I wish I had the M4 aimpro,... overall.. it will get it done when it counts. Great co-witness.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a bullseye M21. Excellent quick day time shooting. Burns bright at night. Inside the house in the low light, not so good. Washes out through windows. Sometimes I wish I had the M4 aimpro,... overall.. it will get it done when it counts. Great co-witness.

does looking through a rear sight fix the washout?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone else used one? I really am looking for info on experience with the triangle reticle, but in general likes and dislikes from real users would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one last week with the triangle reticle. I used it over the weekend, and i really like it.
I never noticed any washout, it was bright and solid during day and night. The triangle reticle takes some getting used to, as I am used to dots or scopes.
The color is about perfect. I have no dislikes about it. It works all the time when I need it.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
So, i solve the wash out by flipping my troy front sight up. it has co witness. Keep in mind the IDF use the triangle classic fixed front slight post on their M4s. That is how it is designed to be used. It only washes from the inside through a window in half light conditions. Daytime, i stand and tack drive 30 of 30 into a 12 inch plate at 230 yards. I like my bullseye because I can get some range using the big circle, I.e = shoulders fill it, 100 yards, two sets of shoulders, 200 yards. But that triangle ret seems pretty sweet too.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought one last week with the triangle reticle. I used it over the weekend, and i really like it.
I never noticed any washout, it was bright and solid during day and night. The triangle reticle takes some getting used to, as I am used to dots or scopes.
The color is about perfect. I have no dislikes about it. It works all the time when I need it.
Hope this helps.

The triangle makes the most sense to me of any reticle they offer.
It's supposed to be 13 moa.

A human body on average is about 20 inches wide, and that's about 12-12.5 moa at 250 meters/275 yards. The old M14 sights were basically 12-13 moa wide, and used as a range finder. If your BSZ was 275 yards, and your target was the same width, you just held dead on and fired. If it was half the width, it was 500 meters or 550 yards out, and you would know your holdover. Same here. Very easy to do. Any significant windage that's affecting it past 300 meters can be done with a half torso holdoff, and at 500 a full hold off.

Up close, hell, it's 13 moa. That's huge. Just put the thing on and pull the trigger, and it should be fast. Tip of the triangle for precision.

Yeah, that really does help. Thanks for the post.

Also, I must ask, how crisp is the triangle, and does the blue tint affect you when shooting, at least at first? Is it easy to get used to?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope this helps.

A human body on average is about 20 inches wide, and that's about 12-12.5 moa at 250 meters/275 yards. The old M14 sights were basically 12-13 moa wide, and used as a range finder. If your BSZ was 275 yards, and your target was the same width, you just held dead on and fired. If it was half the width, it was 500 meters or 550 yards out, and you would know your holdover. Same here. Very easy to do. Any significant windage that's affecting it past 300 meters can be done with a half torso holdoff, and at 500 a full hold off.

Up close, hell, it's 13 moa. That's huge. Just put the thing on and pull the trigger, and it should be fast. Tip of the triangle for precision.

Also, I must ask, how crisp is the triangle, and does the blue tint affect you when shooting, at least at first? Is it easy to get used to?

My triangle was/is very crisp, especially in daylight, or total darkness. I never noticed the blue/green tint when shooting. There was not enough tint to bother me.
I used mine with KAC backups as well as stand alone.
Here it is on my Noveske.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope this helps.

My triangle was/is very crisp, especially in daylight, or total darkness. I never noticed the blue/green tint when shooting. There was not enough tint to bother me.
I used mine with KAC backups as well as stand alone.
Here it is on my Noveske.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag25/armedcurmudgeon/100_2967_zpse494d2cf.jpg

Nice set up. Looks really good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, i solve the wash out by flipping my troy front sight up. it has co witness. Keep in mind the IDF use the triangle classic fixed front slight post on their M4s. That is how it is designed to be used. It only washes from the inside through a window in half light conditions. Daytime, i stand and tack drive 30 of 30 into a 12 inch plate at 230 yards. I like my bullseye because I can get some range using the big circle, I.e = shoulders fill it, 100 yards, two sets of shoulders, 200 yards. But that triangle ret seems pretty sweet too.

I was in between that one, the triangle and the open X.

For me the bullseye and the triangle are easier to range estimate, with the advantage going to the triangle for me. . The open x and the triangle are better suited to precision, with the edge going to the open x slightly. For quick acquisition, it probably goes to the bullseye but with the triangle a close second.

So for all of those things, I think the triangle is the way for me to go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to own the bullseye M21. As mentioned earlier, loved the daytime/nighttime performance but didn't care for the reticle washout under lowlight/taclight conditions. The entire unit is very rugged as is the excellent QD mount. I still find myself toying w/getting another M21 but w/the triangle reticle despite the potential for reticle washout.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I own one with the triangle reticle as well and if it washes out in CQB you just shoot over the top of the rifle anyway.  And if it happens shooting from
a dark place to a bright place it takes just .5 seconds to flip up the Matech rear sight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I own one with the triangle reticle as well and if it washes out in CQB you just shoot over the top of the rifle anyway.  And if it happens shooting from
a dark place to a bright place it takes just .5 seconds to flip up the Matech rear sight.

How often have you noticed washout ? How long did the condition last or take to be remedied without using a flip up rear?

Good post, but would you be willing to do a sort of short review and just cover the basic operations and your thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Found  a couple of new M21's w/triangle reticle for a good price, they should be here Friday. I'll sight them in this weekend and post my impressions here.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Found  a couple of new M21's w/triangle reticle for a good price, they should be here Friday. I'll sight them in this weekend and post my impressions here.
Tomac

Sounds great.

Best I'm finding is $525. I can get the Bullseye one from Shooter's Guide for $479, but I don't want that reticle. I would like to see the open C in person though. I have seen a triangle on Trijicon optics, and a triangle is sort of a triangle as to how it works for sighting, though clarity, brightness etc will differ. I know I don't want a single dot.

Honestly, the best sight I ever used as far as speed, ruggedness, and ease of use with a reticle was the old Kobra sights. That inverted chevron, with the 1.2 moa dot on top was perfect, and of course you could choose others. I used the dot for precision, the tip of the ^ for shots at 400 yards, almost dead on with an AK, and the chevron itself for CQB type speed. You could range with it of course too.

I have to get my taxes paid first, without selling any gun stuff. Then, I will need to sell the Eotech unless my son wants it, and a scope, and a few other things that I don't need. Well, I need the scope, but I'm willing to sell it to fund this. I just can't afford for any gun stuff to be sold for non gun stuff , or to buy one outright.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Pav, check your email.
Tomac

ETA: The Kobra was my first "modern" RDS, all my AK's had one!
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pav, check your email.
Tomac

ETA: The Kobra was my first "modern" RDS, all my AK's had one!

Thanks for the heads up. I emailed you back.

Oh, yeah. When the Kobras were $200-$250 bucks from Kalashnikov USA, they were the deal. I had one on a Mossberg 500 too. All the AKs had one, and we would have started putting them on our AR15s, but they just got hard to find, and last I saw were about $400.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#19]
In for the verdict
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
My M21's arrived a day early () so here are my first impressions:

There have definitely been some changes since I last owned an M21.
The W/E adjustments use to be very coarse at 1.7moa, now the manual says they're 1moa like most RDS'.
Tint is definitely green, it seems greener than I remember (could be another missing brain cell ).
QD mount is as I remember, it went on w/o any adjustments and I couldn't get it to move in any direction w/firm hand pressure.
Triangle reticle is very crisp and very bright, even w/my aging eyes and astigmatism.
I 'cleared' the house several times going from complete darkness (garage) to dim rooms to very bright rooms and back again.
At no time did the reticle wash out, the only time I could get it to dim was by aiming out my dark utility room across the dim kitchen to the brightly lit dining room (appx 200w total illumination) and even then it was plainly visible until I aimed directly at the light fixture.
Using my TLR-1S taclight the reticle was very visible at anything but very close range and even then I had to aim at a light-colored wall to get the reticle to wash out completely.
Perhaps it's my imagination but the fiber optic collectors seem to be more efficient, I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can see how the reticle fares when aiming from a dim room out a window into bright sunlight.
I really like the triangle reticle, the bullseye is probably a bit faster for CQB but I prefer the greater precision offered by the tip of the triangle.

So far I'm very impressed w/the 'new' M21 but I need more reticle washout tests to determine if the fiber optic collectors are more efficient than earlier versions.
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There have definitely been some changes since I last owned a M21.
The W/E adjustments use to be very coarse at 1.7moa, now the manual says they're 1moa like most RDS'.
Tint is definitely green, it seems greener than I remember (could be another missing brain cell ).
QD mount is as I remember, it went on w/o any adjustments and I couldn't get it to move in any direction w/firm hand pressure.
Triangle reticle is very crisp and very bright, even w/my aging eyes and astigmatism.
I 'cleared' the house several times going from complete darkness (garage) to dim rooms to very bright rooms and back again.
At no time did the reticle wash out, the only time I could get it to dim was by aiming out my dark utility room across the dim kitchen to the brightly lit dining room (appx 200w total illumination) and even then it was plainly visible until I aimed directly at the light fixture.
Using my TLR-1S taclight the reticle was very visible at anything but very close range and even then I had to aim at a light-colored wall to get the reticle to wash out completely.
Perhaps it's my imagination but the fiber optic collectors seem to be more efficient, I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can see how the reticle fares when aiming from a dim room out a window into bright sunlight.
I really like the triangle reticle, the bullseye is probably a bit faster for CQB but I like the greater precision offered by the tip of the triangle.

So far I'm very impressed w/the 'new' M21 but I need more reticle washout tests to determine if the fiber optic collectors are more efficient than earlier versions.
Tomac

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/PB150001s.jpg

Where did you get the "new" version?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I seen a hot IDF chick with one in another thread, so now I like mine even better. lol....
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There have definitely been some changes since I last owned a M21.
I really like the triangle reticle, the bullseye is probably a bit faster for CQB but I like the greater precision offered by the tip of the triangle.

Tomac

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/PB150001s.jpg

Thanks. I believe you have answered all of my questions and I am satisfied with the answers. This is what I will be moving to.
Only thing now is to sell my 511 Eotech, and I do need to get out to a range with 300-400 yards to test my hand loads with the M1000 scope i just bought last year. I love it, but I am willing to sell it to get enough cash to get this sight. I just don't have the extra to do it. I can buy another scope, probably go with the M1200 next time. I don't shoot enough with a scope anyway, just needed it to test out hand loads for accuracy instead of trying to use the Eotech.

Tomac, I'm gonna call those guys tomorrow and see what they have to say about a new shipment date.

I also think that you will get faster with the triangle soon. Your eyes are looking for a different shape. I had the same thing happen when I started using the inverted chevron with the 1.8 moa dot on the Kobra on my AKs instead of the the dot by itself. This was all on the same rifle, with the same optic, but just tapping the switch for a different reticle.  After a few hundred rounds I was faster. I think you will get just as fast with the triangle once you have some time behind it and your brain starts looking for that reticle.

Fort the other poster about the new sights. From what the rep said about them in another thread, all of the ones on the store shelves now, and actually as of almost a year ago are the new improved versions. So any should be good to go, and especially with that vendor that Tomac linked, since we know he got the new ones, and they are reordering, so they will of course be new as well.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Pav, check your email again.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
k duuuuuuuude.

Hey, I was gonna put k , but I had to type more or it wouldn't take it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok, well nobody in America has one for a good price in stock. Someone must be onto the fact that these things are awesome.

Tomac, tell your wife I'll give her $25 bucks more than you paid for hers, and I'll throw in some 100 year old southern recipe's , handwritten  , plus the same early 1900s cookbook that Betty Crocker herself learned to cook from. Some of the handwritten ones are family secrets from the 1800s on cake icing , cakes, pastries, and an old, really old glazed cinnamon  Sticky recipe. I also have an original first edition Betty Crocker book  too.

I can't cook, but I swear my grandmother and mother could.

Come on, $25 and you get to eat good.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ok, well nobody in America has one for a good price in stock. Someone must be onto the fact that these things are awesome.

Tomac, tell your wife I'll give her $25 bucks more than you paid for hers, and I'll throw in some 100 year old southern recipe's , handwritten  , plus the same early 1900s cookbook that Betty Crocker herself learned to cook from. Some of the handwritten ones are family secrets from the 1800s on cake icing , cakes, pastries, and an old, really old glazed cinnamon  Sticky recipe. I also have an original first edition Betty Crocker book  too.

I can't cook, but I swear my grandmother and mother could.

Come on, $25 and you get to eat good.

D@mn, that's a good deal! Unfortunately, the one I just ordered for her off Ebay was $499 shipped as she didn't want to wait for the lower-priced vendors to restock. The two I just got in are for my rifles and $25 plus shipping for one of those puts you pretty close to the $499 Ebay price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAKO-MEPROLIGHT-SPRS-MILITARY-REFLEX-DAY-NIGHT-SIGHT-MEPRO-21-TRIANGLE-RETICLE-/280866717988#vi-content
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#29]
lol

Women.

Can't live with them, and they shoot back now. I'll wait for the new stock to come in, but I would be happy to photocopy some of those old time recipe's if she wants them. I just have to find out where they all are. My mom died in 2004 and I don't know what my dad did with them, and he died this summer. They're here in a cabinet somewhere. I can't cook worth a flip, so I haven't looked for them, and my last wife was a Yankee, with a grandma from Italy, sounded fresh off the boat, and she had all hers. Man she could cook too. Her mom was blind, and her and her sister cooked for the family since they were kids, even though her mom still cooked some.  Anyway, I know there were a bunch of them, just have to dig them out. My girlfriend was wanting to make me some Stickies from that old recipe , and I really need to get a hold of them.  

OMG, I just found one similar. Very similar. My grandma's family was from Kannapolis NC, so this is close, this lady is from Shelby, and these things look a lot alike. Don't put no damn nuts or pecans on 'em, you'll ruirn em. lol

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoutherndeliciousness.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F03%2Fgrandma-rabbs-old-fashioned-stickies.html&ei=MUemUMiJOpLo9gS3v4GoDQ&usg=AFQjCNFdLLqmjqO5jIeHBu4eMrQ7nzUvQA&cad=rja
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Hope you get yours soon Pavlov.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hope you get yours soon Pavlov.

Wait, is that a mob threat?

Guido? Is that you?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Update: Took one of the M21's to work where I have lots of different lighting conditions.
I think I can say w/confidence that the fiber optics are more efficient. Even from 15' back in a dark basement, the reticle was bright when looking out the door into a lit corridor.
The only time I achieved reticle washout was in a dark bathroom looking out a window into noontime sunlight. However, as I approached the window the front-side collectors kicked in and the reticle increased in brightness until at appx 2' from the window the reticle was bright and usable.
I know from memory that the Trijicon RX-30 and earlier M21 did *not* perform as well in the same conditions.
Tomac
ETA: I head to the range tomorrow morning to sight-in, will post my results when I get back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Question, can you use a 3x magnifier with these?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Question, can you use a 3x magnifier with these?

Meprolight makes a set, and with the right mount you should be able to use any 3x.  I'm personally going the "other mount" route since the Meprolight 3x is kind of huge.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds great guys. I am sold on it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#36]
So Tomac - is this the holy grail for those with slight astigmatisms?

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have decent astigmatism and can use it without my glasses.  With my glasses, its fully in focus.  I like it
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm can't see crap without glasses or contacts anyway, but, I haven't ever had any problem with any red dot, holographic, or other electronic sight as long as I have vision correction on. I have no right to be shooting without them. My astigmatism is so bad, that I can only use a few select brands of contacts, and they have to order them, and my glasses too. Lenscrafters can't even cut them, or they couldn't last time I went to them , about ten years ago.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't know if it's the holy grail but w/my astigmatism the reticle is sharp and crisp and that's good enough for me! So far this is shaping up to be the best KISS optic I've ever seen.
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Just got back from the range, both M21's sighted in fast & easy. Was pleasantly surprised at how positive the adjustments were (a quarter works perfectly), very difficult to miss a click (did I just make 3 clicks or 4?...). Was very lucky w/the 2nd rifle as the total amount of adjustment needed for my preferred 50yd zero was exactly 1 click down.
It's a joy using the tip of the triangle for aimed shots and the entire triangle for fast shots (looks like the bottom of the triangle can be used for aimed shots at appx 15yds, I'll work out close-in holdovers later).
I arrived at the range shortly after sunrise (but the sun hadn't yet cleared the hills surrounding the range pits) and the reticle was very bright already and only got brighter as the sun finally peeked over the hills. In fact, while sighting in, I almost wished I'd brought some electrician's tape to cover the fiber optics to dim the reticle just a bit for the sight-in.
I'd intended to take some reticle pics while I was there but I forgot my rifle rest so no joy on the pics.
Tomac

ETA: Although the QD mount seemed snug when first attached I tightened the QD bolts (opposite the levers) anyway appx 1/4 turn each at a time then tested the levers until I reached the desired amount of lever tension.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Good to hear. Be interesting to see if the reverse holds true on the reticle brightness as natural light fades in the evening.
Good stuff, Tomac keep us posted...
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good to hear. Be interesting to see if the reverse holds true on the reticle brightness as natural light fades in the evening.

Will do! And that's a good idea, I'll keep checking off and on throughout the day to determine if there's any significant differences in reticle brightness.
Tomac

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Today has been rainy/overcast with occasional sunlight.
All throughout today I've periodically checked reticle brightness inside the house and aiming out windows from a dimmed room (blinds shut).
Inside the house the reticle was always bright and would wash out only when sunlight was bright enough and I was standing far enough back from the window that the frontside collectors had insufficient ambient light for reticle contrast. Moving close enough to the window always brought the reticle to a usable if not optimal level of brightness.
Now that twilight has fallen, the reticle is bright/usable regardless of distance from the window even though it's still far from full dark and I can easily see all the way down the street.
Tomac

ETA: Forgot to mention that one test was aiming from my dark utility room across the dim garage (door up, no artificial illumination) and out the garage door. Reticle was very usable and only dimmed when aiming at white mailboxes and such.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounding better all the time
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Picked up the wife's M21 today so headed to the range (and this time I remembered the rifle rest!) to sight it in a get a reticle pic.
Time was 13:30 w/the sun through overcast almost at my 6 o'clock about halfway down to the horizon.
This shot (sorry for the poor photography) was taken aiming at a std silhouette target at 60yds:

Here's an enlargement of just the reticle in that shot:

Reticle was *very* bright and while I can see the triangle in the original, I don't know how visible it will be in this pic.
Tomac

ETA: camera lens was right at the back of the M21 to get as large a reticle pic as possible. What looks like a squared-off reddish reflection is actually the back top of the M21 w/the emitter in the middle of it. When shooting my eye is 2" further back and that reddish reflection is not visible.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:14:34 AM EDT
[#46]
My TLR-1S taclight has a strobe function so just out of curiousity I tested it w/the M21 in my completely dark garage. I picked a white wall at a distance (appx 12') where the triangle was just barely visible when using the TLR-1S on constant beam. Switched to strobe and surprisingly the reticle was noticeably more visible. Perhaps this was due to the strobe making the reticle appear to flash, thus easier for the eye/brain to pick up?
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#47]
At a recent raining class, two attendees had the latest version of this optic. During the period right after lunch with the sun at it's peak, both users had to put something over the optic due to the reticle blooming during sessions where long tight shots were required (i.e. 75 yards to 200 yards).
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At a recent raining class, two attendees had the latest version of this optic. During the period right after lunch with the sun at it's peak, both users had to put something over the optic due to the reticle blooming during sessions where long tight shots were required (i.e. 75 yards to 200 yards).

That isn't a problem. Even electronic red dots will be too bright at times, and too dim at times and will need to be adjusted up or down,

There is a simple solution for the Meprolight though, that will not require tape, and will be much, much faster than pressing buttons or turning knobs, and that will allow the user to do it in one swift motion. Once I get mine I will work on it.

Tomac, look in your box.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That isn't a problem. Even electronic red dots will be too bright at times, and too dim at times and will need to be adjusted up or down,

There is a simple solution for the Meprolight though, that will not require tape, and will be much, much faster than pressing buttons or turning knobs, and that will allow the user to do it in one swift motion. Once I get mine I will work on it.

Tomac, look in your box.

Obviously a problem for those that needed the optic at a moment’s notice only to find that the reticle was unusable.

This is a fanboy optic which will only be supported by those who purchased it and now have to justify their decision.

No different than those who try to justify that their dpms, bushmaster, rra, stag, del-ton, cmmg, model 1, etc. is at the same tier as a BCM, DD, or Colt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac, look in your box.

Obviously a problem for those that needed the optic at a moment’s notice only to find that the reticle was unusable.

This is a fanboy optic which will only be supported by those who purchased it and now have to justify their decision.

No different than those who try to justify that their dpms, bushmaster, rra, stag, del-ton, cmmg, model 1, etc. is at the same tier as a BCM, DD, or Colt.

Not a fan boy. I haven't purchased one and don't own one.

I do and have owned Eotechs and Aimpoints, and there are drawbacks and compromises to each and every one of them.

I can tell you that the normal setting on my Eotech that I have right now, as well as all that I have had before , is perfect for outdoor conditions, but far too bright for indoors unless you are in a very well lit room. You will have to mash the dim button a few times in order to get it right for inside and, then, you will have to do the reverse in a lot of cases outside if it's very bright.

The same thing applies to the Aimpoint.

The same thing applies to the C More, which I have also owned, even with the Arredondo sight module hood.

The same thing applies to the Kobra Collimator , even with the front facing tube / hood attachment.

The same thing applies to the Vortex Strike Fire.

The same thing applies to the cheap BSA sights , or any other sight.

It will apply to any sight you choose. The choice is determined by what fits your needs. There are far too many people here that cry fan boy to any and every choice that anyone makes, and most times, that simply is not the case, and definitely not here with either myself, or with Tomac. I haven't owned one, and he has given an honest review, including, if you care to read it, one of the earlier models that he also owned in which he described the shortcomings of that unit. This unit has addressed those issues, in everything but the most extreme cases. I have read other reviews, on other websites, that have said the same things, good and bad.

Furthermore, unless you know what my solution is, and there are now two that I have come up with, you don't know that there will need to be any operator involvement with them at all.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top