Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2015 3:24:20 AM EDT
Recently, Pmags, USGIs, L5AWMs and other poly/hybrid mags can be had for darn near the same price on gun forum classifieds.  I've always gone with the cheaper USGI mags, but just had to scoop up some Pmags and L5AWMs at these (USGI mag) prices.

How would you rank current mag offerings IF PRICES ARE COMPARABLE?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Recently, Pmags, USGIs, L5AWMs and other poly/hybrid mags can be had for darn near the same price on gun forum classifieds.  I've always gone with the cheaper USGI mags, but just had to scoop up some Pmags and L5AWMs at these (USGI mag) prices.

How would you rank current mag offerings IF PRICES ARE COMPARABLE?
View Quote

Lancer, ets, magpul, everything else.

I haven't used my usgi in awhile, so i won't comment on them

You can find them all around the same price, sometimes one may be cheaper due to a sale
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the M2 Pmags over the M3, never tried Lancers.  

G.i. mags are ok, I have a bunch, but Pmags are what I use...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Lancer, Magpul, and USGI. I have no experience with ETS group.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Between the 3 given, I would buy lancer first.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Lancer beats all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Lancers when I can grab them on sale. PMAGs usually. USGI when I can get them super cheap to stack 'em deep.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm the odd man out, at least if we boil the question down to the simple "which is my favorite"..

I like the Lancers and I like Pmags. But my hands-down 'favorite' is Okay/NHMTG. Only issues with lancers is that they're a little less tolerant of max-oal loads, or at least one long load I've tried in them (the Prvi 75-grain HPBT round); and they're harder to seat full on a closed bolt than the Okays or Pmags are. Other than that, I've had no negative experiences with Lancer or Pmag either one. But fact is, other than maybe three or four that have been physically damaged/malformed due to someone's actions, I've never had any issues at all with the Okays, in more than 30 years of using primarily that brand.

Not meant as a knock on the others, I'd trust Pmags & Lancers with my life; I trust them that much. But a 'favorite' is an inherently personal, subjective thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lancer beats all.
View Quote

What he said ^^^^^^^.  I have been buying them for $9.19 shipped and have around 200 or so now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]

USGI 20rd/30rd

Pmags

Lancers
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#11]

I disagree. They are very durable IME but they need to have a higher feed angle similar to the Pmag or Tangodown magazine. The Lancer uses the same feed angle as the GI magazine which is not ideal for high cyclic rate rifles.
IMO Tangodown or Pmags are the best I have tried. Never tried the ETS mags.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lancer, ets, magpul, everything else.

View Quote

This would be my exact order.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Order of preference mirrors the Lancer ? PMag ? USGI

I picked up a couple of the ETS locking ones for novelty's sake, and am impressed at the quality. They're built very well, and are translucent; but I can't put them in the list until I've tested them personally. I have every expectation that they're up there in terms of performance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Pmags and USGI for shear numbers in circulation.  With the total numbers in use over the years you cannot argue their quality and dependability.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I own G2, G3 PMags and ETS mags.  ETS mags all day and twice on Sunday! Awesome quality, awesome customer service and they look cool. All of mine function perfect and have a great feel to them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Lancer AWM.  All day long.

Even if they cost double that's all I'd buy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What he said ^^^^^^^.  I have been buying them for $9.19 shipped and have around 200 or so now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lancer beats all.

Where?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
1. Lancer
2. PMags
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The PMag M2 (MOE) magazine is the most deployed polymer M4/M16 magazine in US Combat history.

It is fielded literally in the millions and outnumbers all other polymer magazines used in Iraq and Afghanistan, COMBINED.

There is a reason for this. The PMag is the best all round magazine for reliability under all conditions.
View Quote

Blah, blah, blah.

My order would be Lancer/ETS, then PMAG.  PMAGS, despite MPs claims, are simply not as durable as Lancer or ETS.  Numerous private and independent tests have confirmed this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Lancer, PMag, everything else.  I have no experience with ETS though, so they may be just as good.  I find that Lancers are more durable than PMags while PMags are more reliable.  Not to say that Lancers are unreliable, they'll work 100% in most rifles.  If you have a rifle that is on the ragged edge of reliability though, the PMag will work while the Lancer may not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:...the M3 PMag (what the military tested) was the only magazine that reliability run M855A1 ammunition without accelerated wear to the barrel extension...
View Quote

Fwiw, I like pmags and have about 80 of them in various flavors, gen 2's and gen 3's, in 10-, 20- and 30-round. No complaints whatever; they're great magazines.

I just hate the M855A1; imo it's a further step (a $30-million-plus step) down the same irrational road that gave us the M855 itself way back when. If the M855A1 is the load of the future for our military, then I want them to use whatever magazine works best with it. But imo having the best-feeding M855A1 is much like having the best turd launcher. I can have the best and most-reliable turd launcher in the barnyard, but I'm still launching turds.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#24]
OP posted asking for opinions on mags. No Magpul bashing going on, just some opinions of those that prefer Lancers, and STILL Magpul has to pipe up "ours are the best". Of course you say that, and I have no doubt you believe it. You make great stuff.

I am a Pmag fan myself but you are just making yourselves look petty. Nothing wrong with defending yourselves when being bashed or correcting if wrong information posted about your stuff. Butting in just because some dare to say they prefer another choice is not good form.

Nobody really cares what your opinion on other mags are. You are a maker. JUST TRY to be the bigger man for once.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
       <Comment removed......Please refrain from personal attacks in the future.......dpmmn>  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite is the PMAG.  

I have had issues with various metal 30s (but never a 20 rounder).  And I was at a rifle class when the Lancers were newly out and somebody brought one.  It caused malfunctions in about a quarter of the guns it was tried in.  Maybe the newer Lancers are better, but I just never gave them a chance after that first bad experience.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#29]

<Comment removed......Please refrain from personal attacks in the future.......dpmmn>
View Quote

<Comments removed.......dpmmn>

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Lancer then USGI.  Henderson Defense has some good threads on various platforms as they shoot thousands of rounds a month and put some real wear on their firearms and accessories.  The AR thread HERE mentions USGI outlast ALL mags, even Pmags.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#31]
While I absolutely love PMAGS, my USGI mags with Magpul followers weigh less and have never failed me. The Magpul followers are the cat's meow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
While I absolutely love PMAGS, my USGI mags with Magpul followers weigh less and have never failed me. The Magpul followers are the cat's meow.
View Quote

Lancer and USGI mags!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lancer and USGI mags!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancer and USGI mags!!!!

And PMAGS
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top