Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm excited to test this mag for you. I'm also rather glad that there was a delay as now it is not -10 outside
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Cant wait to test this mag I can even run them with some suppressors now to find out if the excessive carbon will cause issues feeding. Do you still have the address's or do you need us to resend them?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
Cant wait to test this mag I can even run them with some suppressors now to find out if the excessive carbon will cause issues feeding. Do you still have the address's or do you need us to resend them?
View Quote

I have all the addresses, may need to confirm something since many of them was on my email account, I may need to link the ID with real name. I will ask if I running into this. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear it worked well.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Added a 7.62x39. Can't wait to start.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
128 welded magazine goes to coater today. In about a week, the wait should be over...

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Longziz:
128 welded magazine goes to coater today. In about a week, the wait should be over...

http://68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13010&d=1426887632
View Quote

Hi Longziz,

Thanks for your hard work on this project, you are a class act  I hope that you get great results from the new magazines.  I'm looking forward to testing one for you.

Best Wishes:
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagged. Interesting, interested.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm still in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The coated shell come in today. All looks good. I am doing throughout measurement of them today and I will assemble some to shoot with tomorrow. Looking to ship them out either this weekend or next Monday. Stay tuned!

Best,

Jing

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the update...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Longziz

Let me know if you lost my address, because I was one of the ones that gave you my address through e-mail.  I will try to check back on this site to check for messages, or my user name on 6.8 forums is just RedRaider - when you put a message on your thread there it notifies my phone through tapatalk.

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you followers going to be available for sale as a separate item? Unfortunately here in the Peoples Republic of California, they have banned magazines over 10 round capacity. I was hoping to use your follower in my existing magazines in an attempt to get 7.62x39 to function reliably.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fan] [#14]
Originally Posted By apfds:
Are you followers going to be available for sale as a separate item? Unfortunately here in the Peoples Republic of California, they have banned magazines over 10 round capacity. I was hoping to use your follower in my existing magazines in an attempt to get 7.62x39 to function reliably.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/663855_Introducing_Unimag__TM___Calling_for_volunteer_tester.html&page=5#i6747570
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-Romeo3] [#15]
If you need some more testers let me know.

I've got all Colt AR:

Model 6920 M4 carbine gas system with M4 feedramps 16" barrel
Model 6721 with midlength gas system with M4 feedramps 16" medium contour barrel
Model MT6601 with USGI Colt M16A2 no feedramps 20" barrel rifle

Model R6830 7.62X39 with extended feed ramps and changed to a carbine collapsible Magpul MOE buttstock.

Also I have a Steyr AUG A1 16" bullpup carbine with factory Steyr NATO conversion stock that uses M16/ STANAG mags.

I had experience in testing mags for C Products stainless 30rd and Lancer Systems L5 pre production gen 1 mags.

ETA: Added pics of my 5.56 and 7.62X39 cal. carbines.

Colt SP6920 Sporter M4 Carbine 5.56 cal.

Colt R6830 Sporter Lightweight 7.62X39 cal. carbine

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#16]
The magazine will be shipped out tomorrow. I am compiling the address for the last selected testor. Some of you haven't given me a phone number for the shipping purpose, so please check your email to see if I am looking for yours.

At the same time, I am also curious if any of you have sold any of the caliber you promised to test with yet. Even if so, I will still send a mag to you since the delay fault is mine. However, I would like to add another testor should the caliber is rare.

Best,

Jing
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm looking forward to testing your magazine. Weather is nice and there is a pile of ammo waiting to be shot
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#18]
The magazine will be shipped out tomorrow. I am compiling the address for the last selected testor. Some of you haven't given me a phone number for the shipping purpose, so please check your email to see if I am looking for yours.

At the same time, I am also curious if any of you have sold any of the caliber you promised to test with yet. Even if so, I will still send a mag to you since the delay fault is mine. However, I would like to add another testor should the caliber is rare.

Best,

Jing
View Quote

Shipping is the same as what I sent you, and I haven't sold any of the rifles, so still ready to test.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#19]
interesting
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mak91:
I could do some testing for you. Got .223/300bkout/7.62x25/6.5 Grendel/.458 socom/50 beowulf and my own private 100+ yd range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I could do some testing for you. Got .223/300bkout/7.62x25/6.5 Grendel/.458 socom/50 beowulf and my own private 100+ yd range.

Best,

Jing

I can actually add two to the list I gave you if you like. 7.62x40 and .338 Spectre.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Best,

Jing
View Quote

I sold my 300 Blackout upper (forgot about the test until after I sold it), but I do still have a 6.5 Grendel and several 5.56 uppers.  I'm completely fine with you giving my magazine to someone else to test.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Still have them all!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:

I sold my 300 Blackout upper (forgot about the test until after I sold it), but I do still have a 6.5 Grendel and several 5.56 uppers.  I'm completely fine with you giving my magazine to someone else to test.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alemonkey:

Best,

Jing

That's OK, 300BO is not much different than 556. You will get one as promised.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Some 40 lucky people will receive the mag either by this weekend or next Monday. Please stay tune for a video announcement of mine.

The ID here that are going to receive the mag are:

Gamma762
Peligro113
fan
MTNmyMag
wvhillbillie
uniquesnd
PicatinnyPete
dtrosch
radian23
Wessinger03r6
mak91
mlr052869
CA_TX-Cop
Willz
alemonkey
Wipeout
JoshAston
Redraider1
SlowTA
SC-Texas
hammermill290

If I am missing anybody, please let me know. I will have some extra when I get my second shipment of sample.

Best,

Jing

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Sent you a reply email. Sorry for being late.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm drooling.  I have access to a .458" upper, but it's not mine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Longziz] [#27]
Here I want to share 3 video I made today showing my experience of loading the Unimag in different caliber. Please take a look before you start your test. I understand each person is different in terms of how they handle their shooting hobby, however, I do think that loading a magazine correctly so it would not introduce unnecessary jam is always something we should train ourselves to. Some magazine might be very forgiving, some may not. Your thought?

Here is the video.

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XKKKXGmKk [/youtube]

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycnm6R8N6As [/youtube]

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBmI1GXthg [/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Good video, any suggestions or differences in loading 5.45x39?  Do you want us to ONLY use the capacity for the round you posted in the beginning, or do you want us to try and load as many as possible and see what happens?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CA_TX-Cop:
Good video, any suggestions or differences in loading 5.45x39?  Do you want us to ONLY use the capacity for the round you posted in the beginning, or do you want us to try and load as many as possible and see what happens?
View Quote

You can do whatever you like, as I said, the mag is yours now. However, I do appreciate you can record and post (preferably in video) all the rounds you shot and report any problem, as well as satisfaction, if there is any.

That's been said, I don't think you can overload the magazine, here is what I found.

223: The 31rd will seat, but not securely in the magazine, and hence almost impossible to sit into the gun with a closing bolt. If inserted with bolt open, the 31rd round may not go in battery when bolt is release, due to the maxim spring force acted on the feeding lip. Not recommended!

5.45x39: The loading is not much different than 7.62x39, so I didn't make a separate video. Same as 223, you can force the 30th round in, but you will have trouble load the first round into the chamber.

6.8 SPC: I don't think you can load the 27th round.

7.62X39: the same.

6.5 Grendel: The 25th round may be loaded, but the feeding lip will be expanded to a point you can not insert the mag into the gun. not recommended.

Jing
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Here I want to share 3 video I made today showing my experience of loading the Unimag in different caliber. Please take a look before you start your test. I understand each person is different in terms of how they handle their shooting hobby, however, I do think that loading a magazine correctly so it would not introduce unnecessary jam is always something we should train ourselves to. Some magazine might be very forgiving, some may not. Your thought?

Here is the video.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:28:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks my friend fan for adding the video. Can you also help me to make the picture viewable?

Another thing to announce about the test sample coating finish. My coater mysteriously made the finish of this batch into "two tone" black finish. Part of the magazine is gloss black finish, which is what it supposed to be; while part of the magazine is almost a flat black finish, which we all have no idea what caused it. Since it didn't affect the functionality of the magazine, I choose to let it go at this time. We will keep an closed eye on the next batch. For the production version, we would NOT let this kind of finish out of the door.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fan] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Thought I would upload a few pics from previous posts that weren't loading.
click on the pic and it will take you back to the post it was supposed to display from.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank man! I know you can do it!

Someone received the mag already. Now it is me that is anxiously waiting for results. :-)
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Longziz:  Thank man! I know you can do it!

Someone received the mag already. Now it is me that is anxiously waiting for results. :-)
View Quote

Not just you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Forgot about this.  Looking forward to receiving and doing some testing.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:46:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PicatinnyPete] [#37]

You can do whatever you like, as I said, the mag is yours now. However, I do appreciate you can record and post (preferably in video) all the rounds you shot and report any problem, as well as satisfaction, if there is any.

That's been said, I don't think you can overload the magazine, here is what I found.

223: The 31rd will seat, but not securely in the magazine, and hence almost impossible to sit into the gun with a closing bolt. If inserted with bolt open, the 31rd round may not go in battery when bolt is release, due to the maxim spring force acted on the feeding lip. Not recommended!

5.45x39: The loading is not much different than 7.62x39, so I didn't make a separate video. Same as 223, you can force the 30th round in, but you will have trouble load the first round into the chamber.

6.5 Grendel: The 25th round may be loaded, but the feeding lip will be expanded to a point you can not insert the mag into the gun. not recommended.

Jing
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CA_TX-Cop:

Jing

Hi Jing,

Thanks for the tutorial on loading by and and with a loader.  Part of the tests I'll be conducting will be on spring strength.  I've found that in some instances that after a good among of loading that the magazine capacity may increase by a round.  It'll be interesting to see if the same phenomena happens with this magazine.  My experience in the Army and on the range is that there's always someone trying to squeeze as many rounds in the magazine as possible often with bad results.  Jing thanks again for doing this.

Best Regards
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:02:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak91] [#38]
Got my mag today and figure I'd give my initial thoughts. First off the mag seems very well made, looks like the type of quality you would expect to get from a major manufacturer, nice job. I tried the mag in 7 different lowers. It dropped free from about half of them the other half were snug and required a little force to insert and remove but nothing excessive. Trying to compare apples to apples I compared the mag to a DH 6.8 metal mag, the DH mag feels a bit heaver and the sheet metal looks a bit thicker. I measured the mag for oal and found that I could load a round out to 2.305 and seat it in the mag this should go over well for re loaders. I shoot everything suppressed and my mags get dirty fast it will be interesting to see how this mag handles this since it has a few more moving parts in the follower department. I plan to use this as my main mag for all my shooting and not clean it until I start having issues. More to come.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Not just you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Longziz:  Thank man! I know you can do it!

Not just you.

TRH.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my mag
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Got my mag today, I forget are we not supposed to post pictures of the follower?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Got a test mag today.  I'll be running a bunch of 5.45 through it this weekend...looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:15:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak91] [#43]
Looks like 4 rounds is about max on the Beowulf after that the rounds start tilting up allowing the bolt to ride over the rim and hit the round past the base and jam. A few pictures to show what is going on.  The right mag is a .223 mag, the center mag is a Alexander Arms Beowulf mag.  

and a side view.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got mine tonight.  I'll be trying it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my mag today will be running it this weekend with 5.56, 7.62X39, and 300 blackout reloads. I will take some pictures and videos
Of the mag in action!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I received mine as well. Quality fit and finish. The dimples at the bottom of the mag are for numbering I assume? That is a nice touch.

Be hitting the range this weekend
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:27:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PicatinnyPete] [#47]
Hi,

I'm testing 223/5.56, and 7.62x39 in my magazine,  the magazine got here yesterday and I did some initial tests and observations during lunch today.  The magazine (below center in picture)is of made of 0.020" all sheet steel construction with either a Melonited or Isonited nitride finish.  The nitriding gives the magazine steel spring like characteristics, and a very hard case.  A effort to scrape scrape the finish with a Cold Steel knife using the point and edge failed.  The same tests on the ASC 28 round marlube coated 7.62x39 magazine (Lower left in picture), and O-KAY USGI Aluminum magazines resulted in scratched/scrapped finishes and metal.  

OBSERVATIONS

The magazine initially hung up ejecting in a 5.56 AR 15 A2 with a tight magwell.  Isonited finishes are porous, but very rust resistant.  The packing oil used to treat the magazine was not very slick.  The excess oil was wiped off with a paper towel and the outer steel body treated with a drop of Slip 2000 EWL rubbed in.  The magazine was the wiped off again and the test redone.  The magazine dropped free in all instances after cleaning.  Apparently the packing oil applied at the factory to the prototype magazine occasionally hinders ejection.

This magazine is truly USGI sized (see the above photo compared to ASC magazine.)  The height is about 1" less than the 28 round ASC magazine in 7.62x39 and somewhat less bulky.  The internal length of my magazine ranged from 2.32"-2.34", the picture USGI O-KAY ranged from 2.28"-2.30" so the new magazine appears to have plenty of internal space.

The magazine is easily disassembled with minimum effort.  The base plate appears to be made of quality hard anodized aluminum.  The same cold steel blade used to test the magazine tube could not scratch it, but did notch it.  The plate is also non-magnetic and light also indicating hard aluminum.

All in all before other tests I'm very impressed with this prototype magazine.  I will post more as other tests and observations happen.

Best Regards All:
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Hoping mine gets here today or tomorrow, as I'm scheduled to shoot Friday morning.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PicatinnyPete:
Hi,

I'm testing 223/5.56, and 7.62x39 in my magazine,  the magazine got here yesterday and I did some initial tests and observations during lunch today.  The magazine (below center in picture)is of made of 0.020" all sheet steel construction with either a Melonited or Isonited nitride finish.  The nitriding gives the magazine steel spring like characteristics, and a very hard case.  A effort to scrape scrape the finish with a Cold Steel knife using the point and edge failed.  The same tests on the ASC 28 round marlube coated 7.62x39 magazine (Lower left in picture), and O-KAY USGI Aluminum magazines resulted in scratched/scrapped finishes and metal.  
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w53/gedington61/Magazines/P_20150408_113943_1_zpsl3rc8itl.jpg

OBSERVATIONS

The magazine initially hung up ejecting in a 5.56 AR 15 A2 with a tight magwell.  Isonited finishes are porous, but very rust resistant.  The packing oil used to treat the magazine was not very slick.  The excess oil was wiped off with a paper towel and the outer steel body treated with a drop of Slip 2000 EWL rubbed in.  The magazine was the wiped off again and the test redone.  The magazine dropped free in all instances after cleaning.  Apparently the packing oil applied at the factory to the prototype magazine occasionally hinders ejection.

This magazine is truly USGI sized (see the above photo compared to ASC magazine.)  The height is about 1" less than the 28 round ASC magazine in 7.62x39 and somewhat less bulky.  The internal length of my magazine ranged from 2.32"-2.34", the picture USGI O-KAY ranged from 2.28"-2.30" so the new magazine appears to have plenty of internal space.

The magazine is easily disassembled with minimum effort.  The base plate appears to be made of quality hard anodized aluminum.  The same cold steel blade used to test the magazine tube could not scratch it, but did notch it.  The plate is also non-magnetic and light also indicating hard aluminum.

All in all before other tests I'm very impressed with this prototype magazine.  I will post more as other tests and observations happen.

Best Regards All:
View Quote

Thanks for the initial review. Please keep it coming! I appreciated. The bottom plate is made of Stainless Steel as well, but less magnetic than other SS.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like 4 rounds is about max on the Beowulf after that the rounds start tilting up allowing the bolt to ride over the rim and hit the round past the base and jam. A few pictures to show what is going on.  The right mag is a .223 mag, the center mag is a Alexander Arms Beowulf mag.  http://my-stuff.us/mag-beowulf-issue-2.jpg

and a side view. http://my-stuff.us/mag-beowulf-issue-1.jpg
View Quote

I hope I don't have to write off the 50 BE just yet. Did you load it by pushing the back of the cartridge? Can you try to load it at the center of the case? I loaded the 458 SOCOM just fine.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top